GDT: Sabres @ Hurricanes 11/18/11 7PM

thesportsbuff

-Exvellent game by Enroth

-another great game for Myers. NIce and physical, mobile, confident. Where has he been?

-Boyes was superb. Leino was good too. That line played nicely, too bad Stafford couldn't cash in.

Exvellent? Really?

EXCELLENT!

GO SABRES!!!

Few game thoughts:

BRAD BOYES :D :D :D

- Let's keep these lines together for the next couple of games. Specifically the 21-22-23 line looked very strong tonight.

- Enroth looked solid tonight. I especially liked how in the post game interview he sounded so non-chalant about that last chance in the crease.

- The d-zone coverage looked solid tonight as well. Seemed to reel in the green lights to join the rush a little bit.

- Tropp continues to impress with limited ice time. Showed some physicality and his line with Adam and Gerbe had nice pressure all game.

- Roy continues to give the puck away. I counted at least five that could have resulted in some bad chances for the canes.

- Nice overall game for a tight road game

Enroth..nice rebound game..covered six major mistakes by his d..will not be able to do that again against a top five team

like boyes as center..a nice, physical line

Roy kills the Vanek line.. That line needs a physical center who can pass, help with o zone possesion and in the low slot. Not a possesion killer ..Two shots on goal from Vanek and Pom in 5x5 play for 11 min.just does not do it. Anyhing but Roy

Roy is great on the pk,and probably centering a fetch and retrieve line where can properly use his shoot first and often skills.He needs to score 30 this year and that is where he should do it.

Still no scoring from 2-3-4

nice win against a team that lost six in a row

Liked Tropp, Adam line

Myers played his best game of the year...but then there is the context to consider

Do you guys think Stafford, Roy,Gerbe,Leino,Hoff and Boyes are getting jumpy about their production.Lots of red knuckles on those scoring chances.Reminds me of Vanek last year.

Enroth..nice rebound game..covered six major mistakes by his d..will not be able to do that again against a top five team

Roy kills the Vanek line.. that line needs a physical center who can help with o zone possesion and in the low slot. Not a possesion killer ..Two shot on goal from Vanek and Pom in 5x5 play for 15 min.just does not do it. Anyhing but Roy

Still no offense from 2-3-4

Liked Tropp, Adam line

Myers played is best game of the year...but then there is the context

Do you guys think Stafford, Roy,Gerbe,Leino,Hoff and Boyes are getting jumpy about their production.

I don't know what you mean exactly about "jumpy" but if I was Nathan Gerbe I would be one thing and that is PISSED OFF. As I said earlier in the thread, he seemed to be one of the hardest workers on the ice each and every shift earlier in the season. Somehow it seems like he's been demoted though. Past few games he's been one of the lowest on the team for time on ice.

For example in that game: Ellis = 13:13 TOI ... Gerbe = 10:41

Today at work I took a long time thinking about the team so far, it is early and when its been bad its been REALLY bad however two of the top nine forwards are hurt (ennis and hecht), miller has been terrible and hurt, and the D hasn't found any chemistry. What happens if this team gets a fire under its butt and starts playing like it could? What if Ruff gets the "core" playing both ends of the ice (Roy this means you)? Have we been too hard on this team to early in the season? Maybe I'm just dreaming and hoping for a better season like top 4 in the Eastern Conference. Or maybe I just had one too many drinks tonight.

Good game by Enroth. But if those shots were by Spezza or Crosby we're doomed. So many shots by the Canes missing the net.

21-22-23 nice game.

Canes controlled play for 18 minutes of the second. Not good.

Myers finally back with Regehr. LR broke up all the D-lines @ the 3 minute mark of the second period. Seemed to get them out of the funk. Switched back later.

Seems like almost everyone got 15-17 minutes of ice time. Nice control of the minutes by LR going into a back to back, shouldn't be too tired.

Vanek double teamed all night. Barely noticed him.

Roy seemed like he was playing a game of shiny all night. He's got to find a decent blend between creative and responsible.

All in all, yeeeaaah buddy. 2 points and on to the next one.

Oh, and I LIKE TROPP!

Sylvester and Gare could make the Miracle on Ice seem uninteresting.

Seriously, can't MSG just play random animal noises or something over the final period?

Kevin Sylvester is almost as bad as Gurtler. (Gertler? Gertlour? Whatever, he sucked.) I had to rely on radio for a lot tonight, and KS was a complete disappointment.

Hamsammich was actually a very good PBP guy but apparently wasn't anointed for the job.

I only got to see the last 90 secs tonight, and I saw a team that was standing up for each other, which was nice. I hope it went on for the whole game instead of just the part I saw.

Notes from the game..

Arena was only about 75% full, of course almost half were sabres fans. We were much louder than canes fans, but it was a tame game as far as fans were concerned. One funny canes fan was running around the 300 level in overalls yelling "Robert E. Lee". That was funny weird.

As for the game, I am not certain how it translated to TV, but that was the sloppiest game I've seen in years. I'm still not even certain that we won the game or how we won the game! Obviously, Enroth was great, our defense gave up a few shots but there was nothing super high percentage from the canes. No odd man rushes against. But, they still just looked absolutely lost in their own end.

Roy was about 3 strides behind on almost every play. He seems to be laboring. Possibly covering an injury, or maybe his injury last year is not fully healed. He just looked horrible today.

Tropp played well. So did Myers. That one hit in the corners was devastating. Stafford and Leino played well too, but as with the defense tonight, t he offense just didn't click. I'm very glad we got out of there with the victory, but against a better team, we'd have been been blown off the ice.

Speaking of the ice, both teams were very slow. From my vantage point, I couldn't tell how bad the ice was, but it may have been a terrible ice surface tonight. Wednesday, it was 85 here, yesterday it started at around 70 and was 28 by the time I woke up this morning. Temps were in the upper 30s by gametime. That temperature swing may have messed up the ice or something. Both teams were pretty bad.

Glad to get the chance to go to another sabres-canes game. Glad we won!

Notes from the game..

Arena was only about 75% full, of course almost half were sabres fans. We were much louder than canes fans, but it was a tame game as far as fans were concerned. One funny canes fan was running around the 300 level in overalls yelling "Robert E. Lee". That was funny weird.

As for the game, I am not certain how it translated to TV, but that was the sloppiest game I've seen in years. I'm still not even certain that we won the game or how we won the game! Obviously, Enroth was great, our defense gave up a few shots but there was nothing super high percentage from the canes. No odd man rushes against. But, they still just looked absolutely lost in their own end.

Roy was about 3 strides behind on almost every play. He seems to be laboring. Possibly covering an injury, or maybe his injury last year is not fully healed. He just looked horrible today.

Tropp played well. So did Myers. That one hit in the corners was devastating. Stafford and Leino played well too, but as with the defense tonight, t he offense just didn't click. I'm very glad we got out of there with the victory, but against a better team, we'd have been been blown off the ice.

Speaking of the ice, both teams were very slow. From my vantage point, I couldn't tell how bad the ice was, but it may have been a terrible ice surface tonight. Wednesday, it was 85 here, yesterday it started at around 70 and was 28 by the time I woke up this morning. Temps were in the upper 30s by gametime. That temperature swing may have messed up the ice or something. Both teams were pretty bad.

Glad to get the chance to go to another sabres-canes game. Glad we won!

As above, I saw only the last 90 seconds. This has me very concerned.

Few game thoughts:

- Let's keep these lines together for the next couple of games. Specifically the 21-22-23 line looked very strong tonight.

- Enroth looked solid tonight. I especially liked how in the post game interview he sounded so non-chalant about that last chance in the crease.

- The d-zone coverage looked solid tonight as well. Seemed to reel in the green lights to join the rush a little bit.

- Tropp continues to impress with limited ice time. Showed some physicality and his line with Adam and Gerbe had nice pressure all game.

- Roy continues to give the puck away. I counted at least five that could have resulted in some bad chances for the canes.

Good post.

Roy kills the Vanek line.. That line needs a physical center who can pass, help with o zone possesion and in the low slot. Not a possesion killer ..Two shots on goal from Vanek and Pom in 5x5 play for 11 min.just does not do it. Anyhing but Roy

Roy is great on the pk,and probably centering a fetch and retrieve line where can properly use his shoot first and often skills.He needs to score 30 this year and that is where he should do it.

Still no scoring from 2-3-4

Liked Tropp, Adam line

Myers played his best game of the year...but then there is the context

Do you guys think Stafford, Roy,Gerbe,Leino,Hoff and Boyes are getting jumpy about their production.Lots of red knuckles on those scoring chances.Reminds me of Vanek last year.

Another one. I think Stafford is completely squeezing the stick. He's now unable to bury it with a point-blank opportunity and the entire top half of the net open -- he just shoots it over the net. Leino and Boyes, OTOH, seem much more comfortable out there. If Stafford could find his finishing touch, that line will take off.

I'd like to see Adam back on the Pommer-Vanek line and Roy elsewhere -- maybe with Ennis when he returns. It almost certainly won't happen, but I'd kinda like to see Roy-Ennis-Kaleta or Roy-Ennis-Tropp.

Good win. Great game by Enroth.

A home win is in order.

Few game thoughts:

Good post. I agree with you especially about Roy. Vanek Pommer Roy was in the defensive zone for the majority of their shifts.

Robert E Lee!!!

I tell you this, Myers is gonna drop the gloves against Boston. That hit the other night on Zubris was the gateway drug. He's working his way up to crackpipe.

I have faith.

You give me faith, good sir.

I'd like to see Adam back on the Pommer-Vanek line and Roy elsewhere -- maybe with Ennis when he returns. It almost certainly won't happen, but I'd kinda like to see Roy-Ennis-Kaleta or Roy-Ennis-Tropp.

Good win. Great game by Enroth.

A home win is in order.

That *would* be interesting but I highly doubt we'll see it as well.

A good defensive effort tonight. The second certainly was boring from an offensive standpoint, but it’s better than the old “buy one get one free” we’ve been running a little too often on this 6 and 3 run we’re on.

• Jhonas is back and looking solid as ever.

• First time I’ve typed this, but Leino, Stafford, Boyes was the best line on the ice tonight. But ###### are they snakebit. That rebound Staff put over the net? He’ll be losing sleep over it tonight.

• Anyone else like Leino Boyes Gerbe, Ennis Stafford Hecht when (if) Jochen gets back?

• There was a point in the game I thought my 98-year-old grandmother battles more the Leino, then he basically clinches the game on that drive to the net.

• Might have been the best defence Tyler Myers has played all year. Keep him with Regehr for awhile please.

• Tired of Roy on the big line already.

• Is it just me, or has Gerbe been less effective the past few weeks?

Unless Miller is just days away, I’d start Mac tomorrow.

Kevin Sylvester is almost as bad as Gurtler. (Gertler? Gertlour? Whatever, he sucked.) I had to rely on radio for a lot tonight, and KS was a complete disappointment.

Hamsammich was actually a very good PBP guy but apparently wasn't anointed for the job.

I only got to see the last 90 secs tonight, and I saw a team that was standing up for each other, which was nice. I hope it went on for the whole game instead of just the part I saw.

Sylvester could not have been worse than the ass-kissing clowns the Canes use.

Six losses in a row and they're talking about the nice play the Canes made to almost stop a scoring chance, instead of the giveaway that led to said chance.

On the flip side, the PBP guy tripped of his tongue at one point and accidentally came up with a new nickname for the NHL's second leading scorer.

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present "Atomic" Vanek?

Me like. :thumbsup:

Archived