GDT: Sabres @ Hurricanes 11/18/11 7PM

thesportsbuff

A good defensive effort tonight. The second certainly was boring from an offensive standpoint, but it’s better than the old “buy one get one free” we’ve been running a little too often on this 6 and 3 run we’re on.

• Jhonas is back and looking solid as ever.

• First time I’ve typed this, but Leino, Stafford, Boyes was the best line on the ice tonight. But ###### are they snakebit. That rebound Staff put over the net? He’ll be losing sleep over it tonight.

• Anyone else like Leino Boyes Gerbe, Ennis Stafford Hecht when (if) Jochen gets back?

• There was a point in the game I thought my 98-year-old grandmother battles more the Leino, then he basically clinches the game on that drive to the net.

• Might have been the best defence Tyler Myers has played all year. Keep him with Regehr for awhile please.

• Tired of Roy on the big line already.

• Is it just me, or has Gerbe been less effective the past few weeks?

Unless Miller is just days away, I’d start Mac tomorrow.

I said it in an earlier post that he's been getting 10-11 minutes per game. Either he isn't healthy, or Ruff isn't playing him for other reasons. Tonight he got less ice time than Ellis ... 2 minutes less.

A good defensive effort tonight. The second certainly was boring from an offensive standpoint, but it’s better than the old “buy one get one free” we’ve been running a little too often on this 6 and 3 run we’re on.

• Jhonas is back and looking solid as ever.

• First time I’ve typed this, but Leino, Stafford, Boyes was the best line on the ice tonight. But ###### are they snakebit. That rebound Staff put over the net? He’ll be losing sleep over it tonight.

Anyone else like Leino Boyes Gerbe, Ennis Stafford Hecht when (if) Jochen gets back?

• There was a point in the game I thought my 98-year-old grandmother battles more the Leino, then he basically clinches the game on that drive to the net.

• Might have been the best defence Tyler Myers has played all year. Keep him with Regehr for awhile please.

Tired of Roy on the big line already.

Is it just me, or has Gerbe been less effective the past few weeks?

Unless Miller is just days away, I’d start Mac tomorrow.

I'd like to see ROY, STAFFORD and ENNIS together, if STAFF would work in the corners, it could be a dangerous line. Also I'd like to see BOYES between VANEK and POMMERS, BOYES has been working very hard as of late. I think GERBE may be struggling with confidence, his speed and effort seem to be there, but he looks a little indecisive when he gets the puck.

I'm liking the line of Gerbe,Adam, Tropp

Yeah i like the look of that line also. I was moving into my new house today so i didnt have a chance to watch but come tomorrow i'll have game on and beer in hand. Cant wait to deck my wood bar down in the basement with Bills n Sabres.

Pajama party is on. 400 Forest Avenue. Later boys.

I showed up in my pajamas and everyone looked at me like I was crazy :pirate:

Robert E Lee!!!

I tell you this, Myers is gonna drop the gloves against Boston. That hit the other night on Zubris was the gateway drug. He's working his way up to crackpipe.

I have faith.

Please Please Please Please Please Please

V=5 points

C=4 100 points

Thus, Exvellent is the higher praise.

learn your roman numerals.

Notes from the game..

Arena was only about 75% full, of course almost half were sabres fans. We were much louder than canes fans, but it was a tame game as far as fans were concerned. One funny canes fan was running around the 300 level in overalls yelling "Robert E. Lee". That was funny weird.

As for the game, I am not certain how it translated to TV, but that was the sloppiest game I've seen in years. I'm still not even certain that we won the game or how we won the game! Obviously, Enroth was great, our defense gave up a few shots but there was nothing super high percentage from the canes. No odd man rushes against. But, they still just looked absolutely lost in their own end.

Roy was about 3 strides behind on almost every play. He seems to be laboring. Possibly covering an injury, or maybe his injury last year is not fully healed. He just looked horrible today.

Tropp played well. So did Myers. That one hit in the corners was devastating. Stafford and Leino played well too, but as with the defense tonight, t he offense just didn't click. I'm very glad we got out of there with the victory, but against a better team, we'd have been been blown off the ice.

Speaking of the ice, both teams were very slow. From my vantage point, I couldn't tell how bad the ice was, but it may have been a terrible ice surface tonight. Wednesday, it was 85 here, yesterday it started at around 70 and was 28 by the time I woke up this morning. Temps were in the upper 30s by gametime. That temperature swing may have messed up the ice or something. Both teams were pretty bad.

Glad to get the chance to go to another sabres-canes game. Glad we won!

Well I would normally say the threat of interacting with Sabres fans kept most of the caniac mommies and daddies away today but I also think the fact they STINK also has impact on the empty seats. In most cases Lets Go Buffalo resounded thru arena till that guy with the horn or the music drowned it out.

We had some Sabres fans behind us that even irritated me with their behavior. Seemed like the jumbotron guy decided to cut down on all the anti buffalo stuff except for this doctored thing with Jim Kelly saying lets go canes. Did see some lame signs from Canes fans but overall tame and didnt hear a single taunt of wide right, no goal or other various things. In one case however a dada was walking with his 5 - 7 year old son and made some snide remark to him about Sabres fans when I walked past them. I almost stop to provide a lesson but decided it wasnt worth the effort.

Sylvester could not have been worse than the ass-kissing clowns the Canes use.

Six losses in a row and they're talking about the nice play the Canes made to almost stop a scoring chance, instead of the giveaway that led to said chance.

On the flip side, the PBP guy tripped of his tongue at one point and accidentally came up with a new nickname for the NHL's second leading scorer.

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present "Atomic" Vanek?

Me like. :thumbsup:

Have you ever listened to Rick and Harry?

1 goal against the fourth worst defensive team in the league is concerning. Luckily for the Sabres Enroth played a pretty solid game. He wasn't spectacular and didn't need to be.

Interesting that Lindy put Boyes, Leino and Stafford together. I know fans love nicknames so why not call this line the All-Disappointment Line.

The Sabres were out hit tonight by a 2-1 margin and for the fourth straight game a Sabres goalie was knocked down without a response. Which leads to Sylvester's one good line the entire night, when referring to Kaberle yapping at Gaustad he said dismissively "Kaberles not going to do anything." It's funny because it came from a Sabres announcer.

Still don't know why Lindy keeps removing Adam from the top line. Forcing Roy into that spot looks more like roster politics than doing what's best for the team.

On a more positive note I would like to thank Sylvester and Gare. I have not slept that well in a long time. I barely made it through the third period. I crashed before my head hit the pillow.

1 goal against the forth worst defensive team in the league is concerning. Luckily for the Sabres Enroth played a pretty solid game. He wasn't spectacular and didn't need to be.

Interesting that Lindy put Boyes, Leino and Stafford together. I know fans love nicknames so why not call this line the All-Disappointment Line.

The Sabres were out hit tonight by a 2-1 margin and for the fourth straight game a Sabres goalie was knocked down without a response. Which leads to Sylvester's one good line the entire night, when referring to Kaberle yapping at Gaustad he said dismissively "Kaberles not going to do anything." It's funny because it came from a Sabres announcer.

Still don't know why Lindy keeps removing Adam from the top line. Forcing Roy into that spot looks more like roster politics than doing what's best for the team.

On a more positive note I would like to thank Sylvester and Gare. I have not slept that well in a long time. I barely made it through the third period. I crashed before my head hit the pillow.

Which one are you?:

post-2705-072397700 1321703438_thumb.jpg

First time I’ve typed this, but Leino, Stafford, Boyes was the best line on the ice tonight. But ###### are they snakebit. That rebound Staff put over the net? He’ll be losing sleep over it tonight. • Anyone else like Leino Boyes Gerbe, Ennis Stafford Hecht when (if) Jochen gets back?

Agreed, but what does that mean when your one line draws the opposing teams only shutdown line, you look great for an entire game and have a ton of real scoring chances.. but do not score....again

Then the better question hits you..why did their line look so good..answers: 1)it was Carolina.2)The Vanek line drew Carolina's best defensive line. 3) Roy was taken off the line and he was replaced with a big physical center who was capable of helping with possession of the puck in the o zone and was capable of effectively working down low.. Those guys spent a ton of time in the o zone against the second and third d pairs...which is exactly what you need from your two line against the Carolinas.

The one line should be centered by Adam or Boyes or even Hecht if he comes back.(there is a posssibility it takes off with Boyes)It needs a minimum of two guys that can help keep the puck in the zone. That leaves a scond offensively minded line of Stafford, Boyes/Adam/Hecht and Leino.

Hey all. I was at the game. Just wanted to give my opinion from my vantage.

The arena was definitely lacking energy from Canes fans last night. It was about 75% full, as someone said earlier. Families definitely stay home when the Sabres come to town. Sabres fans were plentiful as always and very loud. Every time the Canes guy would blow the horn you'd hear an overwhelming "LET'S GO BUFFALO" chant that drowned the lesser "let's go Canes" chant. Overall everyone was fairly well behaved. As we were walking out there was a little back-and-forth with one Canes fan that wanted to make sure we knew she'd like us yankees to go back to where we came from. Rather tame confrontation compared to what these games used to be like.

I thought the game itself was brutal. Neither team played all that well. Enroth was tremendous. Boyes seemed solid. Regehr was Regerh...pure stud. Everyone else was hot and cold. Pom scored the goal but really struggled the rest of the game. Vanek was invisible. Roy was not only invisible but took a penalty. Almost every Sabre seemed to take a shift or two (or three, or four) off with the exception of Kaleta, who goes 100% every time he gets on the ice.

Our line changes were BRUTAL. Why is something so simple such a cluster for this team?

Overall, a win is a win, but this was one ugly win. We find ourselves in 1st place and we haven't even really played well. That has to be encouraging to Sabre Nation. This team can be much better than what it is right now. I don't think the Canes can say the same.

Good times.

P.S. When I say Vanek was invisible I mean invisible by his standards. He has certainly raised the bar this season. This was not one of his better games, but he made a few plays.

Vanek and Pom were playing with Roy. . and Vanek was getting doubled at the appropriate time by the d, as he usually does. The shutdown line was on them all night

Hey all. I was at the game. Just wanted to give my opinion from my vantage.

The arena was definitely lacking energy from Canes fans last night. It was about 75% full, as someone said earlier. Families definitely stay home when the Sabres come to town. Sabres fans were plentiful as always and very loud. Every time the Canes guy would blow the horn you'd hear an overwhelming "LET'S GO BUFFALO" chant that drowned the lesser "let's go Canes" chant. Overall everyone was fairly well behaved. As we were walking out there was a little back-and-forth with one Canes fan that wanted to make sure we knew she'd like us yankees to go back to where we came from. Rather tame confrontation compared to what these games used to be like.

I thought the game itself was brutal. Neither team played all that well. Enroth was tremendous. Boyes seemed solid. Regehr was Regerh...pure stud. Everyone else was hot and cold. Pom scored the goal but really struggled the rest of the game. Vanek was invisible. Roy was not only invisible but took a penalty. Almost every Sabre seemed to take a shift or two (or three, or four) off with the exception of Kaleta, who goes 100% every time he gets on the ice.

Our line changes were BRUTAL. Why is something so simple such a cluster for this team?

Overall, a win is a win, but this was one ugly win. We find ourselves in 1st place and we haven't even really played well. That has to be encouraging to Sabre Nation. This team can be much better than what it is right now. I don't think the Canes can say the same.Good times.

excellent point and true..they will get much much better..that is good context for all of this banter

Just wanted to share some thoughts, as I did make it to the game!

I was going to say the arena was closer to 60% capacity, with about 1/3 of that Sabres fans? (Other posters have been saying 75% capacity.)

Easily scalped tickets for $25 each about 20 minutes before faceoff. 300-level on the corner, but it was all good. There's got to be some rule about where you can sell tickets outside the arena, because all the sellers were clumped together at an area about 100 yards from the arena.

I like how you can arrive 45 minutes before gametime and park 80 yards from an entrance.

It seems that almost every Sabres fan in the place was either in the first seven rows of the 100s or the last seven rows of the 300s.

I think I've been to the last five games in Raleigh, and this was BY FAR the most tame. The reason is, of course, that the Canes have not been playing well. I observed zero instances of hostility between fans. It was also very quiet for both fan bases.

Three of the four Canes fans that I was sitting near were actually from Western NY.

The "Let's Go Canes" theme song thing they played (I think during second intermission?) is just plain horrible, and the Canes fans around me promptly agreed.

Pulled pork nachos for the win!

V=5 points

C=4 points

Thus, Exvellent is the higher praise.

Yes, I was going to say Scrabble?

I never got a chance to comment on my game experience as I had an entourage from WNY invade my house this weekend. As far on the game on the ice I think everyone covered it. It was a boring, sloppy game to watch but a win is a win.

The fan behavior cards were distributed again. I hadn't seen them in a couple years and although I didn't receive one myself, my father did. I usually walk in about 10-15 minutes before face off when the lines are getting long so my guess is they only hand them out to fans who get in a little earlier like my dad did. I had a gathering at my house the next night and was talking to one of my local friends about the game, his good friend is head of security at RBC and he confirmed a few things for me.

1.) The behavior cards are indeed exclusive to Sabres games, they do not hand them out for any other games.

2.) The Canes have 3x the number of police officers at Sabres games versus a normal game.

With that said, it was pretty tame crowd from what I saw and I observed no incidents.

Archived