GDT: Sabres @ Hurricanes 11/18/11 7PM

thesportsbuff

Buffalo Sabres @ Carolina Hurricanes

7:00 PM EST on MSG, FSCR

The Sabres are in Raleigh for their second meeting of the year with the Hurricanes. As if you need to be reminded, Carolina snuck away with two points in heartbreaking fashion in the Sabres' home opener-- Jeff Skinner scored the game winning goal with under 90 seconds to go, and it came less than a minute after Drew Stafford had scored to tie the game at three. Luckily for us, the Hurricanes are in a funk. They've dropped 6 of their last 7, and several analysts believe head coach Paul Maurice's job is on the line this weekend.

The bad news is that three of the last four meetings between these teams have gone the Canes way, and the Sabres only win came in overtime, still conceding a point.

With Weber out with injury, Buffalo is lucky to have Tyler Myers eligible for tonight's game. I personally am shocked -- happy, but shocked -- that he wasn't suspended for his hit on Zubrus. I think a number of factors played in Myers favor that perhaps swayed Shanahan's decision. I'm not saying Myers targeted Zubrus' head, but that's where contact was initiated, and I was under the presumption that virtually any hit to the head would be a suspendible offense. Regardless, he'll be in the lineup looking to build on a strong bounce-back performance on Wednesday.

TJ Brennan was called up yesterday, presumably either to replace Weber or because they were anticipating a Myers suspension. Marc-Andre Gragnani would be the likely candidate to sit should Brennan see action.

Enroth had a rough night on Wednesday. Granted, he's not solely to blame for the goals against, but 5 goals on 19 shots is a rough outing no matter how you dress it. I'm sure he's ready to go out there and try to prove that it was a bit of a fluke -- Enroth has shown nothing but promise so far, but when he gets lit up in his first outing as the designated "carry the load" #1, we can't help but be a little worried as fans. Here's to hoping he puts that doubt to bed with a big win tonight.

For those who haven't heard, there's been talk that Tyler Ennis and Jochen Hecht may be ready to go this weekend. Possibly tonight.

Jeff Skinner leads the Canes with 7 goals and 18 points, while Vanek leads the Sabres with 11 goals and 23 points.

The Sabres are in Raleigh for their second meeting of the year with the Hurricanes. As if you need to be reminded, Carolina snuck away with two points in heartbreaking fashion in the Sabres' home opener-- Jeff Skinner scored the game winning goal with under 90 seconds to go, and it came less than a minute after Drew Stafford had scored to tie the game at three. Luckily for us, the Hurricanes are in a funk. They've dropped 6 of their last 7, and several analysts believe head coach Paul Maurice's job is on the line this weekend.

The bad news is the last four meetings between these teams have gone the Canes way; 3 regulation wins and an overtime win.

With Weber out with injury, Buffalo is lucky to have Tyler Myers eligible for tonight's game. I personally am shocked -- happy, but shocked -- that he wasn't suspended for his hit on Zubrus. I think a number of factors played in Myers favor that perhaps swayed Shanahan's decision. I'm not saying Myers targeted Zubrus' head, but that's where contact was initiated, and I was under the presumption that virtually any hit to the head would be a suspendible offense. Regardless, he'll be in the lineup looking to build on a strong bounce-back performance on Wednesday.

TJ Brennan was called up yesterday, presumably either to replace Weber or because they were anticipating a Myers suspension. Marc-Andre Gragnani would be the likely candidate to sit should Brennan see action.

Enroth had a rough night on Wednesday. Granted, he's not solely to blame for the goals against, but 5 goals on 19 shots is a rough outing no matter how you dress it. I'm sure he's ready to go out there and try to prove that it was a bit of a fluke -- Enroth has shown nothing but promise so far, but when he gets lit up in his first outing as the designated "carry the load" #1, we can't help but be a little worried as fans. Here's to hoping he puts that doubt to bed with a big win tonight.

Jeff Skinner leads the Canes with 7 goals and 18 points, while Vanek leads the Sabres with 11 goals and 23 points.

Fact check alert. Sabres won on April 3rd, 2011. So soon we forget the epic maskless save by ETHRON!

EDIT: We won in OT by MAG goal.

For those who haven't heard, there's been talk that Tyler Ennis and Jochen Hecht may be ready to go this weekend. Possibly tonight.

I had not heard this. That's excellent news. Ennis has a tremendous skill set that we need back in the lineup ASAP.

I had not heard this. That's excellent news. Ennis has a tremendous skill set that we need back in the lineup ASAP.

Not to mention his raw speed / puck handling. Even a non-scoring Ennis is a great "time-waster". I definitely miss Tyler2 (and Tippecanoe ... F*** Van Buren).

So, the Sabres are in the midst of 6 games in 9 days, having to travel between each game? That's some pretty brutal scheduling, if you ask me.

I'm expecting a big win tonight and an even bigger loss tomorrow.

That travel to cities like Boston and Montreal isn't exactly western conference worthy though.

That travel to cities like Boston and Montreal isn't exactly western conference worthy though.

Maybe. But I bet some of the extra time in the air that the western teams have isn't all that different from the extra ground time that some of the eastern cities have. How long does it take to get from Logan to the Garden? (I really don't know) Doesn't the runway in Edmonton actually end at the ticket gates at the arena?

So, the Sabres are in the midst of 6 games in 9 days, having to travel between each game? That's some pretty brutal scheduling, if you ask me.

I'm expecting a big win tonight and an even bigger loss tomorrow.

Is this harder than losing at home to a team that was at the end of a "4 games in 6 nights" swing?

Is this harder than losing at home to a team that was at the end of a "4 games in 6 nights" swing?

Losing at home is not hard for the Sabres.

What's funny is that NJ lost the 1st and won the 2nd of both of those back to backs.

Maybe. But I bet some of the extra time in the air that the western teams have isn't all that different from the extra ground time that some of the eastern cities have. How long does it take to get from Logan to the Garden? (I really don't know) Doesn't the runway in Edmonton actually end at the ticket gates at the arena?

I'm sure that's hit or miss in every city around the league. Logan to the arena is really quick though. I bet most of the northeast cities are similar since it's such a densely populated area. The one painful one I've dealt with is Denver. Unless there's some private airfield out there, the main airport is close to an hour out.

We better sweep this weekend. 1) because I hate the 'Canes, and 2) because I'm going to the 'Yotes game.

On another note, I really hope that it's Ennis that comes back. You don't realize how much this team misses his speed and skillset (elusiveness, puckhandeling, etc.) until he's been out for a while.

So busy lately. It's been hard to actually enjoy a game without distractions and deadlines to make.

First game in a while I can sit back with the girls and take in the game.

Should be interesting what lines Lindy has out to start. Personally I'd prefer Adam stays up with Van and Pommer to start but it looks like Boyes between Stafford and Leino so Roy might pop up to the top line.

Anywho, looking forward to some good entertainment tonight!

Who's Hot: A pair of Sabres assisted on Myers' first goal Wednesday to extend their points streaks to five games: Thomas Vanek (3-4-7) and Jason Pominville (2-5-7) remain 1-2 on the team in scoring with 23 and 22 points, respectively. Vanek entered Thursday tied for second in NHL scoring, while Pominville was tied for fourth.

First game in a while I can sit back with the girls and take in the game.

So wait, there's a house somewhere in Buffalo where several girls enjoy kicking back and watching hockey? Can you open the complaint thread for a minute; I need to complain that I don't know where it is. :)

I'm staying in tonight to watch the game and do a little baking; the last two VS games have forced me out to bars to watch since they weren't on GameCenter. Please Please Please, Sabres, show up so the pillaging can commence.

Prediction: 11-4 Buffalo. Myers, Regher, and every forward other than Vanek-Adam-Pomminstein. Adam puts one in the Sabres net by accident.

Archived