GDT: Flyers at Sabres 11/2/11 7:30PM

spndnchz

as previously stated.....this teams biggest problem is mental mistakes...they play stupid...bad penalties, out of position, etc....

now, Lindy had a brain fart, the line combinations to start last nights game were a joke, they were totally out of sync, no chemistry whatsoever. vanek and Pomminsteins line came out 4th. after the 3-0 start lindy went back to the regular line conbo's, put in enroth and everything settle down.

leave vanek/adam/Pomminstein and gerbe/gaustad/kaleta alone. tinker with the other lines.

the biggest problem line is leino/roy/stafford (leino had his best game, stafford stunk, roy only looked good playing the point on the PP)

Players who stood out good - sekera, adam, Pomminstein

players who played bad- weber, roy, stafford, ellis and even myers (by his standards)

THIS TEAM MISSES TYLER ENNIS MORE THAN THEY REALIZE !!!.....they look slow out there.

Who was it that said in another thread that Phillies aggressive forecheck would expose this teams weaknesses? Good call. The second and third were much better but by then it was pretty well done. Enroth was once again calm under fire. Maybe he just doesn't know any better.

I think i said Philly, Boston and to some extent and Montreals forechecks were the tests.(others may have had similar thoughts) Actually not to bad in the last two periods but then again Philly was not pressing given the fact they had put the game away.

I agree with this. Very glad to see Weber in the line up tonight.

Yeah. Nice game Webzie.

Regardless, he faced more than Miller and made some pretty key saves. He stepped into the hot seat against a brutal Philly offense,yes the D stepped up but like I said Enroth came in and did what a goalie is paid to do and that is stop the pucks.

Just because he didn't face many shots isn't reason to not give credit where credit is due. He controlled the rebounds, made some key glove saves and stopped a breakaway.

Miller had some horrific rebounds. The pucks where seriously being kicked out to the blue line. Last year Enroth had that problem with rebounds. This year I haven't seen it at all with him. He is really improving and showing the fans (and hopefully the coaching staff) what consistency looks like.

He faced 4 more shots than Miller did. Miller had 11 shots in 6 1/2 minutes. Enroth had 15 the rest of the game.

That bad start is on Lindy. He goes with Van Leino Pom and they get behind and go back to Adam. They get a goal and Leino's back in. Players don't know wtf to do with all the switching around.

This has nothing to do with Miller as a player - I just don't like anything about his personality. I never liked him and I am really starting to wish he was not on the team. I doubt it but maybe HE is a problem in the lockerroom. If Enroth can prove he is a number one goalie in this league, I would do everything possible to get a nice return on Miller. I can't make myself like a player that has turned me off from day one....Take responsibility just ONCE in your life because you are the one who is not playing up to expectations AGAIN. Good, yes - great, faaarrr from it my smug little friend. I don't think it would take much for me to jump on his bandwagon but his interviews are like nails on a chalkboard.

If nitpicking is the new term for "reading thoroughly and disagreeing" then yes, I agree. I think they have set the tone just fine in at least half of their games this season. Then they have failed to follow through, as you said .... in this post but not in the original.

/rabblrabblerabble

In my defense, I was relegating the statement to last night's game in that I believed it would set the tone for the next 10. If they hadn't started a majority of games well then they wouldn't have won so many out of the gate. Alamo mode was in effect in those games, as some here refer to it. 4 of the last 5 have been losses. The only win was a good start with Enroth in net against Columbus. One loss against Tampa was okay. The the rest were brutal.

as previously stated.....this teams biggest problem is mental mistakes...they play stupid...bad penalties, out of position, etc....

THIS TEAM MISSES TYLER ENNIS MORE THAN THEY REALIZE !!!.....they look slow out there.

Death by a thousand little technical and mental mistakes.

Yeah. Nice game Webzie.

He faced 4 more shots than Miller did. Miller had 11 shots in 6 1/2 minutes. Enroth had 15 the rest of the game.

That bad start is on Lindy. He goes with Van Leino Pom and they get behind and go back to Adam. They get a goal and Leino's back in. Players don't know wtf to do with all the switching around.

I with you on this, I cant think of another team in the entire NHL that switches up lines so frequently. I am now in the camp of Keeping the only two lines that are working together permanently, regardless of what else is going on. Ruff needs to be more (insert what you believe will work here) because its not working... I am not in the room so idk if Ruff or someone else is the problem but the sabres have a problem. I really wish there was a guy in that room with big enough balls and enough respect after a game like that to toss all the media out, close the door, and turn to Miller and say "WTF was that?" Of course the problem we now have with miller is not that he makes a lot of money but that we are still referring to an Olympic performance that happened 2 years ago and thats why he won't ride the bench ever. I have scene almost every game this season and this team still needs a leader, this team still lacks a "drury type" guy. Sure it could be a bad stretch but a trade might be the best remedy... This team has to many entitled brats...

On a positive note: Adam looked decent last night and I think he will continue to improve. I know he got lucky on his goal but if he doesnt toss that puck towards the front of the net (leino, stafford, roy... ) it doesnt deflect in. I thought Vanek once he returned from the mugging was animal.

Sort of skimmed through the last few pages so apologize if I repeat something.

- That first 5 minutes was the most uninspired play I have ever seen. Everyone should be ashamed of that stinker.

- Lindy needs to stop tinkering the f$#% out of the lines. Everyone keeps saying that the team needs to gel, but there is no way anyone can get consistent production when they are playing with different players every game. It turns into a pickup game, and I don't care how talented you are that will not win against NHL systems and caliber players. Don't ever change the Vanek-Adam-Pommer line.

- Miller's weakness to high glove side was exposed last night. The flyers were clearly targeting that. Losing confidence made him go down to the butterfly way to early on a few of those and got burned. That said, we need him to be solid come the end of the year so no jumping ship yet.

- Roy had one of his better games out there this year. He looks like he is slowly getting healthy.

- Weber was shaky early but showed why he was a solid contributor all last year. We need to add some gritty toughness to the lineup, especially on the back end where Regher is the only one hitting anyone.

- I'm convinced that Leino is not going to ever learn the system and get comfortable unless he plays with the same players night in and night out. Pick a line and role (Center or wing) and stick with it.

- Vanek and Pommers (once reunited with Adam) were the only players out there that gave me any indication that we had a chance to score. That's a scary thought...

I don't buy the "we try to put on a show at home" theme either. To me it doesn't look like they are putting on a show. It looks like they think in the back of their minds that all they need to do is show up and they will magically be rewarded with a win.

To me it comes down to leadership. I and many others have been unhappy with the "top 6" forwards on this team for quite a while now. They as a group led the hide-under-the-bed movement in the 2 seasons after Black Sunday and they were terrible in the last 2 playoff seasons. Other than Gaustad, that is the group that was officially entrusted with the leadership and direction of this team when Pommer was named captain and the As went to Roy, Stafford and Vanek.

Pommer and Vanek have certainly played well this year. Roy and Stafford have been terrible. Has any of the 4 of them shown any fire during the last 2 weeks? Has any of them done anything to lift up their teammates or to deliver the message that mailing it in like this is unacceptable?

After the top 6 produced ZERO goals in the 2nd and 3rd periods of the entire 7-game playoff series vs Philly, I wanted major changes in the top 6 last summer. It's been clear for years, to me anyway, that the Sabres have been dying for a guy like Brenden Morrow or Ryan Smyth or Mike Richards in their top 6 (the last 2 of whom changed teams this summer, btw). We got Leino, who clearly needs more time to get acclimated, and nothing else other than a fat contract for Stafford, the return of the leader of the SGM brigade and a rookie getting promoted.

I agree with all of this...especially the bolded part. :thumbsup:

This has nothing to do with Miller as a player - I just don't like anything about his personality. I never liked him and I am really starting to wish he was not on the team. I doubt it but maybe HE is a problem in the lockerroom. If Enroth can prove he is a number one goalie in this league, I would do everything possible to get a nice return on Miller. I can't make myself like a player that has turned me off from day one....Take responsibility just ONCE in your life because you are the one who is not playing up to expectations AGAIN. Good, yes - great, faaarrr from it my smug little friend. I don't think it would take much for me to jump on his bandwagon but his interviews are like nails on a chalkboard.

If Miller has a window in which the Sabres can win a Cup with him in goal, it is probably in the next 2 or 3 seasons. Does that mean I don't think he should be traded if the return is great? I'd listen to all offers.

Hard to disagree with anything you stated.

Sort of skimmed through the last few pages so apologize if I repeat something.

- That first 5 minutes was the most uninspired play I have ever seen. Everyone should be ashamed of that stinker.

- Lindy needs to stop tinkering the f$#% out of the lines. Everyone keeps saying that the team needs to gel, but there is no way anyone can get consistent production when they are playing with different players every game. It turns into a pickup game, and I don't care how talented you are that will not win against NHL systems and caliber players. Don't ever change the Vanek-Adam-Pommer line.

Random sports analogy: I was living in Colorado when the Rockies fired Clint Hurdle as manager and hired Jim Tracy. The exact same set of players couldn't lose under Tracy after playing like crap under Hurdle. When asked why, the players to a man said that Hurdle's constant tinkering with the lineup hurt them mentally. They worried that one mistake would cause them to be demoted and said that playing in fear hurt their production.

I think the same basic psychological argument applies to hockey... if a guy knows he will be benched every time he makes a mistake, he can't possible play a loose, confident game. I know that Lindy juggles lines because his mentor Scotty Bowman did so, but I would argue that the game has changed a lot since Scotty's time and IMHO I'd like to see the lines left alone for a 10-20 game stretch to see what happens.

Random sports analogy: I was living in Colorado when the Rockies fired Clint Hurdle as manager and hired Jim Tracy. The exact same set of players couldn't lose under Tracy after playing like crap under Hurdle. When asked why, the players to a man said that Hurdle's constant tinkering with the lineup hurt them mentally. They worried that one mistake would cause them to be demoted and said that playing in fear hurt their production.

Well they both sucked with The Pirates.

I think the same basic psychological argument applies to hockey... if a guy knows he will be benched every time he makes a mistake, he can't possible play a loose, confident game. I know that Lindy juggles lines because his mentor Scotty Bowman did so, but I would argue that the game has changed a lot since Scotty's time and IMHO I'd like to see the lines left alone for a 10-20 game stretch to see what happens.

I have been saying all along that this is the biggest problem with the Sabres team that has nearly half of its players playing in a new system and position.

Would be nice to hear...

I was amazed to hear Bryzgalov the other day after their loss to the Jets 9-8. He was saying things like, "I was terrible", "I stunk", "I let my teammates down", "I need to play better", etc. I never once have heard Miller stand up and be accountable for poor performances. His schtick is really getting old!

And I bet the Flyer skaters heard that and felt bad because they stunk it up too. You want to play for a guy who can admit he stunk and says he's sorry. I just wonder how many of the boys are fed up with it always being their fault but never the goalie's??

And his comments about the fans was uncalled for. You bet they pay their money and you bet they'll let you know if they're not happy with you. Don't whatever the fans, ever Ryan.

I'd move him but that's me. I have never liked his demeanor. He's the Eastern Luongo.

I want to talk about scrums after the whistle.

In the Finals last year it was nothing but a mugfest and it went on all night long. The refs can only call so many penalties, but it was ridiculous.

And then last night, Vanek gets mugged for nothing and ends up missing a crucial amount of time cuz someone scragged his eye out.

I believe the NHL should do away with the scrums after whistles, period. You mug someone, you go sit, each and every time. Clean up this garbage. It's all fun to watch but the team that isn't as big and tough always comes out on the bottom in these situations and teams shouldn't be built on scrum toughness. Play between the whistles. Anything after, send 'em to the box.

I want to talk about scrums after the whistle.

In the Finals last year it was nothing but a mugfest and it went on all night long. The refs can only call so many penalties, but it was ridiculous.

And then last night, Vanek gets mugged for nothing and ends up missing a crucial amount of time cuz someone scragged his eye out.

I believe the NHL should do away with the scrums after whistles, period. You mug someone, you go sit, each and every time. Clean up this garbage. It's all fun to watch but the team that isn't as big and tough always comes out on top in these situations and teams shouldn't be built on scrum toughness. Play between the whistles. Anything after, send 'em to the box.

I was surprised that no one got a penalty after that scrum, especially since he was gashed across the eye! my guess is the refs just thought everything was coincidental?

Enroth may not be the "better" goalie, he is certainly is playing "better" right now. Anything less than both starts this weekend is a disservice to the team and Enroth. They both deserve better than seeing Miller get a start.

I disagree. I think they should split the games this weekend.

This team needs to gel and quick.

Gelling, by definition, takes time. It's frustrating to watch, but it'll happen. Lindy juggling the lines so often doesn't really help.

I thought Vanek once he returned from the mugging was animal.

VANEK WAS ANIMAL

I agree with Chz, Freeman, and Darksabre... I really am going to disagree with one of you three someday...

Yeah. Nice game Webzie.

sorry but there's too much roysie and webzie for me. these players are being coddled by the owner with the megabucks. they don't deserve a brand spanking new $10 million dollar locker room, they deserve a dark, cold basement in the Fruit Belt. :censored:

If Miller has a window in which the Sabres can win a Cup with him in goal, it is probably in the next 2 or 3 seasons. Does that mean I don't think he should be traded if the return is great? I'd listen to all offers.

Hard to disagree with anything you stated.

I'd like to chime in and agree with the part in bold. In 3 years Miller will be 34, not ancient, but no really young in sports years.

Personally, I think if this team can't win a Cup in the next 2 years, maybe they should think about parting-out this group of players. This core always reminds me of the girlfriend who will only let you go so far and always promising more. It really is frustrating. Our dream off-season is starting out a nightmare, it doesn't mean they can't turn it around and it certainly is early. Just my opinion.

I'd like to chime in and agree with the part in bold. In 3 years Miller will be 34, not ancient, but no really young in sports years.

Personally, I think if this team can't win a Cup in the next 2 years, maybe they should think about parting-out this group of players. This core always reminds me of the girlfriend who will only let you go so far and always promising more. It really is frustrating. Our dream off-season is starting out a nightmare, it doesn't mean they can't turn it around and it certainly is early. Just my opinion.

Take a step back from this game. A 6-5 nightmare isn't all that bad of a nightmare in my opinion. Lindy needs to help these guys find their stride ... then they are gonna blow the roof off. I don't mind if that doesn't happen until January February like last year .... it just has to happen sometime and we need to get into the playoffs.

Take a step back from this game. A 6-5 nightmare isn't all that bad of a nightmare in my opinion. Lindy needs to help these guys find their stride ... then they are gonna blow the roof off. I don't mind if that doesn't happen until January February like last year .... it just has to happen sometime and we need to get into the playoffs.

I am not knocking your post at all (not that I am saying you knocked mine); I was trying to say in the most positive way I could that, like eveyone else, it seems frustrating that this team has the mentality that they can just turn it on when they need to. I mean, that performace at the start last night, and others at home to start the season, was dreadful. Even when they closed to 3-2 in the 3rd period, it didn't look like they had any life at all. That's all I'm saying.

I agree 100% with you; the season is young, but let's not start off the way we did last year and then make the playoffs the last week of the season.

Archived