GDT: Flyers at Sabres 11/2/11 7:30PM

spndnchz

Not surprising really. They have been known for slow starts these past couple of years now, nothing really changed here.

My concern is larger (when put into context) than just a team talk.

The issue with scoring and chemistry amongst the lines.

There doesn't appear to be any type of hustle or speed on this team and what is really concerning is Lindy consistently juggling the lines, allowing no chemistry to form.I never have and never will like the way he coaches, it just appears so counter-productive and trying to force players into the center position, where it's obvious they aren't comfortable, isn't working.

I'd like them to address this center problem as soon as possible.

My biggest concerns aside from Miller. This team talks of team speed constantly yet rarely showed it. And the line juggling is maddening. After the first period though, I saw some good signs that make me think, if Ruff stops with the on-the-fly experimenting, they may be on to something positive. Tonite, they needed their goalie to settle things down in the first couple minutes and it never happened.

My concerns:

•  
  • Miller
  • Ruff and the entire coaching staff
  • speed, or the lack thereof
  • team chemistry
  • lack of heart overall, or complacency
  • lack of physical play, or no balls
  • no scoring other than Vanek and Pommers

So Lindy skates them hard on an off day, and they respond with an opening 7 minutes like that? I guess they didn't get the message...again! What a surprise.

I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it, this team tuned out Lindy a long time ago.

The only reason this game did not get ugly score wise, is because Philly went into a 53 minute shell...and almost blew the game.

I only caught the end of the second and the third because of work. I really liked what I saw from the Sabres, as they were really dominating play while I was watching. I am a lot more upbeat after this game than I was after the previous losses. I think this means a lot considering the Sabres just lost to my least favorite team in the league.

What I liked:

-Roy Leino Stafford looked very good (as did the Vanek Pommers line).

-The Saturday Night Swede tore it up again.

-The PK looks very good.

-Sekera. I love Sekera. Weber, too. Good to see him standing up for Leino.

-Everybody in a blue jersey was playing hard.

What I disliked:

-All the point shots that didn't get through.

-The Sabres attempts at gaining the zone on the PP.

-Every jerk wearing orange.

-The Sabres inability to play 60 minutes of hockey.

Miller played poorly, yes. However Enroth faced very few difficult shots and had a very dull game. 15 saves in 52:45 min of ice time... the team woke up after the miller pulled and played much better. Bored the trade miller train if you want but remember that makes Mclyntire our new number 2... just another thought.

To the guy who said trade Miller AND a 3rd for Lundqvist... huh :blink:

Weber played 10 minutes of crap then settled in, I am not surprised but I dont think his average play tonight warrants a permanent shot. He does deserve 1 more game to see if he can lock it down.

Myers I noticed! I am so shocked that he was moving up and down the ice but still his explosive speed and end to end rushes are missing.

Leino was also noticeable but again he needs to show more. Roy, Stafford, and boyes fall in the same category as well.

Overall this team improved as the game went on which is good. However they still have not played 60 minutes of hockey and until they do, they will be an average team with above average talent. Store the doom and gloom, there were positives to see from this and if they play the last 40minutes for 60 minutes in the future, good things will happen.

Last year we started 4-5-2. We are slightly better so far this year at 6-5 but the trend is not looking good right now.

There really aren't many players playing really well except Vanek, Pominville, Regehr and Sekera. Every thing seems scrambly, not strong on the puck, no cohesion.

Hopefully these guys turn it around like they did last year. Right now it looks like they are skating in quicksand.

Miller played poorly, yes. However Enroth faced very few difficult shots and had a very dull game. 15 saves in 52:45 min of ice time... the team woke up after the miller pulled and played much better. Bored the trade miller train if you want but remember that makes Mclyntire our new number 2... just another thought.

To the guy who said trade Miller AND a 3rd for Lundqvist... huh :blink:

Weber played 10 minutes of crap then settled in, I am not surprised but I dont think his average play tonight warrants a permanent shot. He does deserve 1 more game to see if he can lock it down.

Myers I noticed! I am so shocked that he was moving up and down the ice but still his explosive speed and end to end rushes are missing.

Leino was also noticeable but again he needs to show more. Roy, Stafford, and boyes fall in the same category as well.

Overall this team improved as the game went on which is good. However they still have not played 60 minutes of hockey and until they do, they will be an average team with above average talent.

Good post. I really liked the way Weber played, and for how many games MAG got to play, I would give Weber at least four more games. Myers will keep getting better, as will our second scoring line. It was a loss tonight, but it gave me a lot of hope for how the Sabres will look when they hit their stride.

How does a 6'4" goalie get beat over the shoulder on the glove side so much ?

I thought he was 6 ft 2 in? Regardless, good point. Meanwhile, one shot I thought was going high and wide Ethron snapped out of the air in the middle of a yawn. He's dreamy...

Another one of Miller's classless interviews. Gotta love his condescending 'holier than thou' attitude. For once I'd like to hear him fess up and accept some blame for a change. How about instead 'Well the fans paid for the tickets they can do what they want.. ya know' he could say 'If I were a fan I would have booed my performance too'. Try and sound like you actually give a damn.

How does a 6'4" goalie get beat over the shoulder on the glove side so much ?

Well first Miller is 6'2" but it all depends on the angle he takes on the shot and the angle of the shot versus his distance from the net. I think they were decent shots and he was not out far enough to cut down the angle.

No one wants to admit Enroth had a breeze of a game? The defense shut that zone down after Miller got pulled. Just saying, Miller may have played like sh!t but Enroth really didn't need to do much in the way of anything...

Sorry ppl 11 games do not a starting goalie make. We can resume this convo when he hits 40 games

Well first Miller is 6'2" but it all depends on the angle he takes on the shot and the angle of the shot versus his distance from the net. I think they were decent shots and he was not out far enough to cut down the angle.

No one wants to admit Enroth had a breeze of a game? The defense shut that zone down after Miller got pulled. Just saying, Miller may have played like sh!t but Enroth really didn't need to do much in the way of anything...

Sorry ppl 11 games do not a starting goalie make.

Maybe not, but it should warrant a couple of consecutive starts while the starter gets his act together.

I thought he was 6 ft 2 in? Regardless, good point. Meanwhile, one shot I thought was going high and wide Ethron snapped out of the air in the middle of a yawn. He's dreamy...

I was allowing for the approximately 2" of skate blade and holder. Personally, I think it's a flaw in technique ... with Hartnell's goal, Miller was already down in full butterfly while Hartnell was winding up. I gotta think you stay on your feet for a little longer, but you goalie experts chime in ...

Maybe not, but it should warrant a couple of consecutive starts while the starter gets his act together.

Enroth should start whatever game this weekend he was originally scheduled too (friday or sat) and If I were Ruff I would have him play Friday, Miller is not doing well. If by january his play has not improved we could revisit the trade idea, but Miller too me is worth first round picks or a very very good roster-ed player. I dislike the idea of trading Miller until i see more.

I caught parts of each period, but never got an idea of the game flow. Unfortunately, one of those "parts" was the assault on Miller, which is on the team, but those goals, well, they're on him, too (one bad rebound from Miller and the other two, well, the REAL Miller would have had 'em).

Frankly, Kaleta impressed me when the boys were down 2-0. The refs didn't impress me; Kaleta got away with crosschecks to the faces of two Fillies, but whatever, I'll take it (especially with the curious penalty calls later in the game). I rarely praise Kaleta.

I'm more convinced than ever that despite his admirable efforts, Ellis just doesn't belong in the league. Great effort, few skills.

I know he was -2 in his first game since April, but I want more Weber. The team needs some mean. Weber is mean. He's Regehr junior.

Enroth should start whatever game this weekend he was originally scheduled too (friday or sat) and If I were Ruff I would have him play Friday, Miller is not doing well. If by january his play has not improved we could revisit the trade idea, but Miller too me is worth first round picks or a very very good roster-ed player. I dislike the idea of trading Miller until i see more.

I've seen enough. We always wait. Wait. Wait. Wait. Wait for a bridge. Wait for moving the zoo. Wait for a fluke football roster to come together.

WE HAVE SEEN ENOUGH. This team is what it is. The Sabres need to take BOLD steps. I don't see how success comes without sacrifices.

Archived