GDT: Flyers at Sabres 11/2/11 7:30PM

spndnchz

The thing that bothered me the most was not Miller - 11 shots on goal against in the first 5 minutes was.

They knew the forecheck was coming but lOoked overwhelmed by it.

Philly is a beatable team.

What probably happened - and I've seen this with high school and college teams -

Ruff and Patrick probably had a great solution for that forecheck, drilled it and practiced it (as they should) but when the team hit the ice we saw way too much careful thinking and no flow. They looked like their first day on skis trying to remember their lessons.

A bad 5 minute. I really think at home you have to play your own game and adjust.

Don't prepare0 for Philly make Philly prepare for you. The entire team was overthinking. Which means they were overprepared for that one. Overcoached? Probably.

If they weeathed that first few minutes they would have been fine going forward for a seven game series. They will be in better shape for the next 3 Philly games this year.

The thing that bothered me the most was not Miller - 11 shots on goal against in the first 5 minutes was.

What probably happened - and I've seen this with high school and college teams -

Ruff and Patrick probably had a great solution for that forecheck, drilled it and practiced it (as they should) but when the team hit the ice we saw way too much careful thinking and no flow. They looked like their first day on skis trying to remember their lessons.

A bad 5 minute. I really think at home you have to play your own game and adjust.

Don't prepare0 for Philly make Philly prepare for you. The entire team was overthinking. Which means they were overprepared for that one. Overcoached? Probably.

If they weeathed that first few minutes they would have been fine going forward for a seven game series. They will be in better shape for the next 3 Philly games this year.

i genuinely appreciate this, X. the GDT's feature a ton of white noise, especially when the team is struggling, but i keep coming back to get insights like this. :thumbsup:

Thanks, X. To reiterate what Aud Smell said... posts like this one make it worth wading through nonsensical sludge like this:

He doesn't even care about the fans. I'm under and over him

1. The team will gell,gel,jell and get better. the little techincal mistakes and brain farts that have cost them games will become more rare. Managment will refine the system. it can be hard to watch at times but the sky is not falling .

2. Goaltenders are as good as the d they play behind. They all slump.They all have hot streaks.The first five minutes are the most dangerous of times for them and most hate low shot total games. They are all head cases. They have to be, to play the only position in team sports where the fans hold them responsible for everything bad that happens.

3.With one scoring line there is always more than a few options. I like defense first, let your one line score,and wait for the others to heat up. Keep driving your pp forward till it clicks.Think about skating two energy lines. Teams with one line. a good d and a good pp can win a lot of games especially if they have two lines that can check.

4. Eggs is a grown up.

5. I like Gleason

Archived