Lindy Ruff

Rico4Hall12

I agree with all of this. It's why I stated my opinion about the video once and then avoided the pile on. That vid was just a small snippet in time.

OMG, you and nfreeman are buying into this. :wallbash:

There's also the equal possibility aliens are implanting probes into our bodies.

Every day, all of time, we must filter out the near-improbable, and trust the wisdom, knowledge and experience of unknown peoples and accept that reality is what it is.

There are people here who've been in very similar circumstances, many times over in some cases, saying that what we're seeing is NORMAL and OKAY.

If Ruff were abusing and "breaking" players - we'd know about it. The media wouldn't sit on that for so long. The fans who attend practices wouldn't sit on that for so long either.

While each lottery is a possible winner - a staggering number turn out not to be every day. :death:

And I want to be able to embed images, dammit.

There's also the equal possibility aliens are implanting probes into our bodies.

Every day, all of time, we must filter out the near-improbable, and trust the wisdom, knowledge and experience of unknown peoples and accept that reality is what it is.

There are people here who've been in very similar circumstances, many times over in some cases, saying that what we're seeing is NORMAL and OKAY.

If Ruff were abusing and "breaking" players - we'd know about it. The media wouldn't sit on that for so long. The fans who attend practices wouldn't sit on that for so long either.

While each lottery is a possible winner - a staggering number turn out not to be every day. :death:

Ask Paul Hamilton his opinion

Did you want me to put 14 smileys after the Mckee comment?

So sorry for bringing a little booze to your tea party. Is today hat day? I love parading my favorite hats at the table with the ladyfolk.

Today is NOT hat day and I need the booze.

The entire focus is Lindy's development of young players....or should I say the lack thereof and the methods he uses.

Maybe Chz can get me a day pass so I can take in an entire practice.

This place is going to be a real treat if the team starts out 6-10-2

Training camp is free. I dunno if it would change your mind though.

Lindy will be informed that ur coming and won't be beating anyone senseless with his stick while you're around.

I think you have been around long enough to know my attempted comedic routes. Again....the ENTIRE premise of the joke was that it was a scene from a Ryan Miller short film on some mamby-pamby subject you could see Miller pontificating over. If anyone seriously thinks I am calling Lindy Ruff a child molestor.....then shoot me F'n now....I wanna get off this train.

It was passive-aggressive clowning. On one hand you are celebrating clowning and on the other hand you think I am calling Lindy Ruff a child molestor.

Too bad Bryan Berard isn't at that camp. I'm sure he would have loved to be part of it.

But before that came this set up...

And here is the problem...I do not view it as a lighter moment in coaching. I view Ruff's behavior in that video borderline predatory. It's clear many don't, but for him to use Adam as an example like that and invade his personal space when it wasn't hockey relevant.....that to me looks like weakness from Ruff at best, and picking on weak prey at worst.

That's a heck of a setup for a pedo joke.

And you blame those not following the nuance? How dumb of them.

(N.B. - you aren't stupid, the moving target of this particular logic is.)

Your accordion solo continues....

But before that came this set up...

That's a heck of a setup for a pedo joke.

And you blame those not following the nuance? How dumb of them.

(N.B. - you aren't stupid, the moving target of this particular logic is.)

Your accordion solo continues....

I didn't think you were this big of an A-hole to attempt character assassination by continuing to beat your own humorless drum.

I guess you are an anti-semite since you took no issue to my Hitler reference.

Don't be an ass.

Training camp is free. I dunno if it would change your mind though.

Lindy will be informed that ur coming and won't be beating anyone senseless with his stick while you're around.

I hope X isn't using the audio app on this thread.....it may sound a bit different than it reads and he'll get all bent out of shape.

And THAT! is the crux of the whole debate.

When you have a horse that has all the talent in the world but is a baby and thinks he is the boss....it presents a challenge. You need to show him who is the boss, yet you still need him to trust you if you want him to perform to his ultimate capabilities. There is a very fine line there. From what I have seen over the years, it seems as if the first thing that gets done at times with the Sabres is gelding them. Kassian is worth too much at stud to do so.

It would be nice to have a Mike Foligno in here on this coaching staff just for a guy like Kassian. There is nobody on the team to show him how to do it right. He needs a mentor.

That was never the crux of the debate, we all agree Kass needs to learn who's boss on the Sabres and who to direct his aggression towards.

Hell yeah....I love Grebe and Weber. Weber has something you can't teach and if he shows enough skill over time, should have no problem wearing a letter. I'm just talking long term stuff here. Let's see how they develop in 2-3 years.

And on the Ruff video....I am sure Lindy thinks he is doing the boys a service. I don't think he is an A-hole...I like Ruff a lot off the ice. He wasn't trying to hurt Adam....but he was getting all Wyle Coyotee to shake Kassian. I didn't even pay attention to Kassian that whole time because I was too busy watching Inigo Montoya do his stuff. On the last flail that really got me, Kassian stops paying attention to the coach and looks back at Adam to make sure he is ok and is probably saying WTF. Right then Lindy does his little charge at Kassian, which I didn't even pay attention to, and Kassian instinctively gets in a possible combative posture with his arms bowed to the side. He let Lindy do his thing....but it is just a dangerous way to try and show who the alpha male is by waving that stick.

Kassian is going to give these guys hell. He turns away from Adyms when he is trying to tell him he lit it up the boards, he had no problem talking back to Ruff to make his point, and even after the little show he still disagreed with the idea. It is going to be interesting to see how this plays out over time. He is super talented and still green. I would hope they find a way to build mutual trust and bridle that pure power instead of trying to constantly break him to be a good soldier.

In hindsight, my bias against Ruff's coaching tactics may have led me to think Adam was getting more of a workover than I had first thought, but that does not excuse putting someone at risk with a sword show. If a guy like Kassian can see through it, it will be all the harder to earn Kassian's respect and will take longer for the show to get on the road. There still isn't a forward on this team to lead by example for him however. That's the scary part.

I think if any of us waved that stick there would be risk, but not if a professional (or ex professional) hockey player is doing it, it's controlled and there's a point to it. Kids either get told, or get put down, just like school. For some reason I'm thinking Lindros with that statement.

I think if any of us waved that stick there would be risk, but not if a professional (or ex professional) hockey player is doing it, it's controlled and there's a point to it. Kids either get told, or get put down, just like school. For some reason I'm thinking Lindros with that statement.

Sure....just like a professional doctor with a scalpel. What can go wrong?

Billy Smith just called, he says tell Lindy he has bad aim.

I had not watched the video until now.

A coach of amateur players would get flamed for that video. Being Lindy is coaching professionals the standards are a bit different. I get what GoDD is saying and I can't argue with how the video made him feel. I didn't come away with the same feeling. On the other hand, if that was a video of Ruff trying to teach Kassian face-offs I would be going ape-$hit. :thumbsup:

Really. It's exactly the same as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRRFxHDLpgw

ummm WTF happens at the end of that video? It looks like... well it looks like what GoDD was referring too when he made the pedophile analogy... like wow... i am disturbed...

No it didn't look like that at all, it looked like Adam was being joked with.

so creepy...

First off, I am not buying into anything and didn't suggest as such. What I am doing, and what we all should do, is keeping an open mind to the possibility that things in a brief clip *might* not be as they appear. I really don't have any doubt that the situation was relatively innocent. But there is a possibility it isn't. Do I think that Lindy is dumb enough to demean his players during an on-ice session that was open to the public? No. Is it possible? Sure. And that's all I (and NF) are getting at. My OPINION is that nothing of substance happened here. Your OPINION is that nothing of substance happened here. Dwight's OPINION is that this an act of a man trying to demean his player. It is OPINION. Where you are going wrong here is that you are treating this like a debate that can be won or lost. Look at the participants here. Do you think any of them are going to concede defeat? :doh:

Here lets put it this way:

Pegula says that he runs things with a family atmosphere, so therefore he would want his players treated with respect, I feel like after 5 months, Tpegs would be upset if Ruff were abusing his players and Tedd Black would have fired or not resigned him to a contract extension.

First off, I am not buying into anything and didn't suggest as such. What I am doing, and what we all should do, is keeping an open mind to the possibility that things in a brief clip *might* not be as they appear. I really don't have any doubt that the situation was relatively innocent. But there is a possibility it isn't. Do I think that Lindy is dumb enough to demean his players during an on-ice session that was open to the public? No. Is it possible? Sure. And that's all I (and NF) are getting at. My OPINION is that nothing of substance happened here. Your OPINION is that nothing of substance happened here. Dwight's OPINION is that this an act of a man trying to demean his player. It is OPINION. Where you are going wrong here is that you are treating this like a debate that can be won or lost. Look at the participants here. Do you think any of them are going to concede defeat? :doh:

I'm actually changing my tune a little here. (Damn you ,GoDD). We have talked for years on here that it was all about Lindy and his precious system. It was the reason stars left and he remained, why we didn't have to pay stars because we had Lindy,... "I'll get'em into the playoffs."

Maybe it is these little passive aggressive (actually, just aggressive) acts where it starts and why no leaders have emerged from within. Just sayin', it's worth thinking about.

(Again, Damn you, GoDD!)

I'm actually changing my tune a little here. (Damn you ,GoDD). We have talked for years on here that it was all about Lindy and his precious system. It was the reason stars left and he remained, why we didn't have to pay stars because we had Lindy,... "I'll get'em into the playoffs."

Maybe it is these little passive aggressive (actually, just aggressive) acts where it starts and why no leaders have emerged from within. Just sayin', it's worth thinking about.

(Again, Damn you, GoDD!)

Miller's not a leader? Myers? Pommer? (Pommer might not have the production, but I'll bet the guys in the room take him pretty seriously.) Vanek?

McKee? He was definitely home-grown. Campbell? I think a lot of people here have bitched about his loss because he was a "leader" (he wasn't, but you can't have it both ways).

And what about the guys who Lindy Ruff made into leaders even though the Sabres didn't draft them? Briere, Drury, those guys were "leaders" before? Spare the bs.

And let's not forget Jeff Jillson. (Ok, now I'm kidding.)

This thread is hilarious. GoDD I get your point. IMO every piece of coaching and film can be broken down into minutea. This piece being an excellent example. I guess each person comes away feeling different based on life experiences. Regardless this is getting good.

And for the record I see it as a typical thing for an NHL Vet/Coach to haze rookies. It sets the pecking order early.

Archived