Lindy Ruff

Rico4Hall12

This might be the dumbest thread of all time. Yes, let's analyze how new players feel about their coach. Not that we have any idea what kind of coach lindy really is, or what any new player might have to say about the one who decides the extent of their shot at the NHL. But yes, let's ask this question anyways.

Do people here even think before they start these idiotic threads anymore?

This might be the dumbest thread of all time. Yes, let's analyze how new players feel about their coach. Not that we have any idea what kind of coach lindy really is, or what any new player might have to say about the one who decides the extent of their shot at the NHL. But yes, let's ask this question anyways.

Wow. And I thought this friggin heat made ME miserable...

Lighten up Francis.

Wow you are in the Dark!! I take it you have never heard of coaches being fired because players on a team, have gotten a coach fired because of coaching style. Also since I am a fairly new poster, but have been to this site numerous times, I have seen posters like you many times, next time you dont agree with with post try posting an opposing opinion, instead of attacking the poster.

Edit: Here is a link from 2008 about players reacting to Lindys style.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/89600-ruff-times-in-buffalo-lindyplayers-feud

I guess I shouldn't start that thread about the Sabres needing new uniforms.

I am going to say that when players and the team are going well they like Lindy just fine. When the a player is slumping or the team isn't winning I will guess that might put some strain on the relationship.

I guess I shouldn't start that thread about the Sabres needing new uniforms.

I am going to say that when players and the team are going well they like Lindy just fine. When the a player is slumping or the team isn't winning I will guess that might put some strain on the relationship.

LOL..when I saw you replied to this thread,,I thought you were gonna blast me too..your reputation precedes you..

Wow you are in the Dark!! I take it you have never heard of coaches being fired because players on a team, have gotten a coach fired because of coaching style. Also since I am a fairly new poster, but have been to this site numerous times, I have seen posters like you many times, next time you dont agree with with post try posting an opposing opinion, instead of attacking the poster.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/89600-ruff-times-in-buffalo-lindyplayers-feud

Sometimes because a poster has posted thousands of times, they get in a comfort zone and feel they have the right to attack people, when the mood strikes, especially newcomers. These people are actually no better than anyone else. Get used to it.

I am not going to attack you for the original post, but that link is pretty much irrelevant at this point. First of all, it's nearly 3 years old. But in addition BleacherReport is exactly what the name implies ... the voice of the fan. Which is fine, we are all entitled to our opinions. If that guy thought Ruff should have been fired at that time, he certainly was not the first or the last, I have no problem with him saying it. He may even have been right at that point. But any of us could write a Bleacher Report "article" ... doesn't mean we have any real insight to the team. It's a glorified message board post.

That guy is obviously not around the team, and just quoting the Buffalo News about t scratched players being upset at being benched isn't evidence of anything when it comes to the players' feelings about the coach. Coaches scratch players all the time and they get upset, even on the best teams. That doesn't mean the locker room is divided and the whole team has tuned out the coach.

It should also be noted that they won their next three after the guy wrote that thing and went 30-21-6 from that point to the end of the season ... not great, but better than they started. They followed it up by winning the division the next season and then again making the playoffs this past season. If Ruff had been tuned out, I don't think they make the run they did after Roy got hurt this past season. He probably should have been fired a couple times in the last 12 years, but coming off last season there is no reason to think he has lost the team. But the pressure is certainly on to at least win some playoff series.

after 14 years I would guess that Lindi is respected by his players but honestly i have no idea. About half way through the video we see what Ruff is kinda like on the ice coaching and he seems to have a fun side, as he bops Adam in the head.

I've always gotten the impression that the players love Lindy. Of course players are going to be upset when they get benched, but that doesn't mean they disrespect the coach any. I've actually been of the opposite opinion a few years back -- I wondered whether the Sabres were getting too comfortable with Ruff behind the bench, resulting in lack of effort and lackadaisical play knowing that Lindy is their "friend" and wouldn't do anything too extreme. I don't have anything to back that up, just something that crossed my mind a few times when the team was struggling, wondering if that could be the reason -- after all, much of that roster had spent their whole careers under Ruff at the time.

However, that reasoning doesn't really apply as much anymore -- It was more relevant in the 07-09 years when our roster had been virtually identical for four seasons in a row, minus Briere & Drury. By now there's been enough bodies swapped in and out that my theory no longer makes a lot of sense, but alas, perhaps that's why they've made playoffs the last two seasons. :)

Regardless, I don't think there are any issues between the players and Lindy, and I expect the newcomers to embrace Lindy's coaching style.

Eat me.

Did someone get some yellow stuff poured on his Cherios today? Sheesh man lighten up!

after 14 years I would guess that Lindi is respected by his players but honestly i have no idea. About half way through the video we see what Ruff is kinda like on the ice coaching and he seems to have a fun side, as he bops Adam in the head.

I had heard about this. Glad someone posted it so I could see it. What I had heard was that Lindy was furious with Kassian; he doesn't seem furious here.

As to the question that started the thread, I have no idea and, somewhat, don't care, whether players like him. Whether they respond to him and succeed is what's important.

Great video man, thanks for the post!

He doesn't bop Adam in the head....he hits Adam with his stick 5 times in 13 seconds...3 times near his eyes.

I don't know how fun it was. I don't see Lindy coaching day to day, I only see what the results are on the ice and how his players act and talk both on and off the ice. I can't really comment on his relationship with Adam, but if I didn't know better, it looked like he was pissing all over him with that little display. Over the years it seems like he enjoys taking the individuality and will out of some of these young guys. Maybe Kassian is just the type of crazy enough and talented enough guy to bite back.

He doesn't bop Adam in the head....he hits Adam with his stick 5 times in 13 seconds...3 times near his eyes.

I don't know how fun it was. I don't see Lindy coaching day to day, I only see what the results are on the ice and how his players act and talk both on and off the ice. I can't really comment on his relationship with Adam, but if I didn't know better, it looked like he was pissing all over him with that little display. Over the years it seems like he enjoys taking the individuality and will out of some of these young guys. Maybe Kassian is just the type of crazy enough and talented enough guy to bite back.

I fail to see how this is "pissing all over" Adam. Adam is laughing the whole time. There's nothing about the coaching point that is "taking the individuality and will out" of anyone. If he told Kassian not to hit someone and play the puck instead, I could see your point (and I wouldn't be surprised, because while I like Ruff in general, I do think he preached against some of what he calls "hitting for the sake of hitting" in the past.). But in this case he's actually telling him the opposite, to keep both hands on the stick and go through the guy to the puck instead of trying to poke it around him with one hand and go after it because it looks like holding when your free hand is on the guy.

Again, I am not arguing your overall opinion of Ruff, I agree with some of it ... but I am not seeing what you are seeing in this clip.

I see it totally differently

Players love that stuff. I worry about the ones that don't. Adam is cracking up laughing.

I've seen it again and again, the best coaches most often demonstrate on the best players when they are teaching. It's not because

Kassian and Adam need to hear it - they know- the rest need to hear it.

I see it totally differently

Players love that stuff. I worry about the ones that don't. Adam is cracking up laughing.

I've seen it again and again, the best coaches most often demonstrate on the best players when they are teaching. It's not because

Kassian and Adam need to hear it - they know- the rest need to hear it.

You might want to look again.

Adam is gasping for air with his mouth open after being forced to do pushups. He tries avoiding the stick as Lindy flails it near his eyes.

It isn't laughing something off. Ruff just disciplined him, then continuously invaided his personal space in a non-relevant hockey display. It was demeaning in my opinion. Again, I don't see these guys practice day to day....just the finished product year after year. Maybe it was a joke to Adam....or maybe he is like the abused housewife who laughs off her drunken husband's display in public.."Oh..haha..that's just Bill being Bill!"

I don't respond well to attempted humiliation. I push back, usually with creativity to really rub it in. Maybe displays like this are why the Sabres haven't had a valid captain for the better part of a decade.

I'm assuming Lindy tries to get the best out of his players. I'm sure that its nothing like the "Miracle ON ICE" type scenario. Coaches like that come along once in a great while. I guess we'll know when the season starts.....but then again I'm stating the obvious. Having said that I can only hope that the Sabres through UFA's and drafts can build a Stanley Cup caliber team and at this point I'm not sure if Lindy's the coach that can lead this team to a cup. I thought that possibly the Sabres were a good enough team (talent wise) to do that during the years when they had Chris Drury, and Danny Briere, among others.

You might want to look again.

Adam is gasping for air with his mouth open after being forced to do pushups. He tries avoiding the stick as Lindy flails it near his eyes.

It isn't laughing something off. Ruff just disciplined him, then continuously invaided his personal space in a non-relevant hockey display. It was demeaning in my opinion. Again, I don't see these guys practice day to day....just the finished product year after year. Maybe it was a joke to Adam....or maybe he is like the abused housewife who laughs off her drunken husband's display in public.."Oh..haha..that's just Bill being Bill!"

I don't respond well to attempted humiliation. I push back, usually with creativity to really rub it in. Maybe displays like this are why the Sabres haven't had a valid captain for the better part of a decade.

I am seeing something so different it's really not even worth arguing about ... but the video aside, I don't see anything over the years that suggests Ruff is "abusing" (not physically, i know what you mean) or humiliating his players into doing what he wants ... if anything, he has gotten SOFTER over the years and lost some of his edge in favor of "system" and "playing smart" and maybe trying to out-think opponents instead. It's a far more common complaint that he goes easy on them and makes excuses for them ... so it's interesting that you see it the other way.

I am seeing something so different it's really not even worth arguing about ... but the video aside, I don't see anything over the years that suggests Ruff is "abusing" (not physically, i know what you mean) or humiliating his players into doing what he wants ... if anything, he has gotten SOFTER over the years and lost some of his edge in favor of "system" and "playing smart" and maybe trying to out-think opponents instead. It's a far more common complaint that he goes easy on them and makes excuses for them ... so it's interesting that you see it the other way.

I think he lost his passion as well. He got that little smirk back and was having more fun playing games with the media the last few weeks going into the playoffs, so that was a welcome sign. I do think he can be a good gamesmanship type of coach in the playoffs if he has the horses to get the job done.

I am not sure "abusing" is the right word. I just remember watching a hungry, bright-eyed Vanek come into this league who would drive to the net or ride a d-man into the boards....and after 2 straight years in and out of the Lindy dog-house, he slowly relegated to more of the system player and lost that "oomph" he had coming out of college. We just don't ever see home-grown leaders develop on this team. Sure, hockey skills improve....but name the last homegrown guy deserving to wear a C, other than Gaustad...who also is a shell of his former fiesty self.....

I don't know what the video shows, and I am not in the mood to bash Ruff. I just think he fancies himself as a teacher and disciplinarian more than a general. I have always looked to and respected a general and wished the micro stuff was left to the assistants. Sure, it's relevant trying to teach young guys in a developmental camp, and certainly your best hope of a player.....and maybe Adam was the example because he's had a cup of coffee here.....I just see something like that and think the worst because it is something I would not have taken too kindly to. Sure, pop me on the shin or the helmet once for comic relief....but 5 times after I just did a bunch of pushups?

No big whoop.

I think what we saw in that video was a lesson aimed as much at Adam as it was at Kassian and that's why Adam was targeted for those chops with the stick. I got a sense that Lindy was frustrated with Adams penalties last year and was making a point at Adams expense to make sure it didn't happen again during his second stint. I also think that Lindy was very clearly establishing that he was alpha male to the newest big dog. And did it against another big dog to show the new dog what is going to happen to him. We talk about Kassian being a little reckless and that he needs his agression focused. I think Lindy was schooling him on how to go about being agressive without incurring interference penalties. And he did it in a way that an agressive young man can appreciate. I doubt he coaches, say, Cody McCormick the same way.

My gut tells me that this isn't uncommon in the NHL when dealing with big, arrogant, hormone raging, young, aggressive athletes that play a nasty game for a living.

I think what we saw in that video was a lesson aimed as much at Adam as it was at Kassian and that's why Adam was targeted for those chops with the stick. I got a sense that Lindy was frustrated with Adams penalties last year and was making a point at Adams expense to make sure it didn't happen again during his second stint. I also think that Lindy was very clearly establishing that he was alpha male to the newest big dog. And did it against another big dog to show the new dog what is going to happen to him. We talk about Kassian being a little reckless and that he needs his agression focused. I think Lindy was schooling him on how to go about being agressive without incurring interference penalties. And he did it in a way that an agressive young man can appreciate. I doubt he coaches, say, Cody McCormick the same way.

My gut tells me that this isn't uncommon in the NHL when dealing with big, arrogant, hormone raging, young, aggressive athletes that play a nasty game for a living.

What would Lindy do if on the 3rd whack, Adam lifted his stick and sent it out of his hands? Because I am pretty sure that is what I would do on pure instinct if someone is blindly whacking at my eyes. Then again, Ruff probably knows who is an easy target.

I understand the lesson. Just interesting how "humiliation" was used to break a guy.

Archived