The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

I think thats my favorite of their stuff.

I'm actually trying to cut down on the beer drinking; especially during the summer I usually have 1 or 2 a day, and forget about the weekends. However, I've got some homebrew that'll be ready to crack open tomorrow when I get home from work, so I have a feeling that will happen...

Cutting back has been good for me. I'm at maybe once during the week and a few on the weekends. It's made a difference with how I sleep. Being a grown up has really cut into my consumption of tasty beers.

Cutting back has been good for me. I'm at maybe once during the week and a few on the weekends. It's made a difference with how I sleep. Being a grown up has really cut into my consumption of tasty beers.

Thats my goal; I gotta lose some weight and my heartburn has been getting worse, time to cut back.

I'm actually trying to cut down on the beer drinking; especially during the summer I usually have 1 or 2 a day, and forget about the weekends. However, I've got some homebrew that'll be ready to crack open tomorrow when I get home from work, so I have a feeling that will happen...

Yeah their porter is very smooth. Although I tend to drink less porters and stouts as it gets warmer out, I've been craving their porter recently. What kind of homebrew did you whip up?

Please. You must tell what you have carbonating. I am usually "chronologically fugged...up" but I still squeeze my brew time in. Do you go all grain? I have a Vagabond gingered ale in carbonation. Should be ready this weekend. It's a recipe from Joy of Homebrewing... It has malt extract in the recipe. I do all grain if I have the time. All grain isn't any better IMO. Its more about bragging rights I guess. Someday I'd love to malt my own grains. If I still have a liver when I retire. I'll malt baby! I've been sitting on a half case of a dark IPA that is fantastic. I'm trying to save it for a family vacation in July. I've been looking for a good light ale recipe that uses extract. Something less hoppy for my mother in law.

Please. You must tell what you have carbonating. I am usually "chronologically fugged...up" but I still squeeze my brew time in. Do you go all grain? I have a Vagabond gingered ale in carbonation. Should be ready this weekend. It's a recipe from Joy of Homebrewing... It has malt extract in the recipe. I do all grain if I have the time. All grain isn't any better IMO. Its more about bragging rights I guess. Someday I'd love to malt my own grains. If I still have a liver when I retire. I'll malt baby! I've been sitting on a half case of a dark IPA that is fantastic. I'm trying to save it for a family vacation in July. I've been looking for a good light ale recipe that uses extract. Something less hoppy for my mother in law.

Just finishing bottling in time for the weekend is a blond ale I made 3 gallons of, and then split into 3 for secondary. First is the Dumb Blonde, which is just the blond straight, second is the Dirty Blonde, which was dryhopped w/ Citra, and third is a Strawberry Blonde, which, as you can imagine, had strawberries in the secondary. Saturday is brew day, and I'm making a Blackberry Black Lager, which should be fun and new for me.

I do mostly Brew in a Bag, which means I can do the the All-grain stuff with less time and A LOT less equipment. I don't this there's much a difference with extract vs all grain, except the grains give you a ton more options; with the extracts you can be limited some for your base malts. I still do extract stuff when I have a recipe I know I want a lot of, because I can only do 3-4 gallons of BIAB as opposed to the ~5.5 I can do with extract, which is all based on my kettle size.

Also, that gingered ale sounds awesome. I made a winter warmer with cloves and ginger and it was fantastic.

Edited by sabills

When I began homebrewing about 15 years ago, the quality of malt extracts that were available were lacking and there was certainly a marked difference in quality between extract and all grain beers.  That is not the case anymore, with the explosion of the hobby has come a wide variety of high quality suppliers of ingredients.    

I have a new house, which happens to have a second full sized fridge. This second fridge is currently empty, and thus woefully lacking a fullness of beer. I will be headed out on a run this evening to stock it. Recommendations are welcome. I'll be going to My Buddy Joe's in Canandaigua, their selection lands somewhere between Wegman's and BotW, so keep that in mind.

I have a new house, which happens to have a second full sized fridge. This second fridge is currently empty, and thus woefully lacking a fullness of beer. I will be headed out on a run this evening to stock it. Recommendations are welcome. I'll be going to My Buddy Joe's in Canandaigua, their selection lands somewhere between Wegman's and BotW, so keep that in mind.

Southern Tier's Tangier, tangerine IPA is delicious.  I'd get started with a 12er of that.

Also if you buy anything that has the word Shandy printed on it you can go ahead and stop talking to me.

What if you don't buy it but will drink one whenever it's offered?

Case in point, I was helping my uncle move into his new house and the previous owner had left some assorted unwanted beers in the fridge. Some Bud Light cans, a couple bottles of NA Becks, and one Leinenkugel Shandy. My uncle said I could take them so I did. I've drunk the Bud Lights and poured out the NA Becks. But that Shandy is just sitting in my fridge.

I don't think I'll end up drinking it.

Case in point, I was helping my uncle move into his new house and the previous owner had left some assorted unwanted beers in the fridge. Some Bud Light cans, a couple bottles of NA Becks, and one Leinenkugel Shandy. My uncle said I could take them so I did. I've drunk the Bud Lights and poured out the NA Becks. But that Shandy is just sitting in my fridge.

I don't think I'll end up drinking it.

People are always leaving assorted crap beer in my man cave mini fridge. Right now there's some Milwaukee's best, corona and bud lights in there. When I need space I send out a text to the neighborhood to come get the free beer, if it goes unclaimed it gets tossed.

Recommendations:

- Victory Headwaters Pale ale: Hoppy pale ale, 4.5% for outside in the summer

- Southern Tier Live: another great, hoppy beer that's not going to kill you with ABV

- If it gets up there, but Sly Fox makes some nice beers in cans. The Phoniex Pale Ale and 113 IPA are really good, the Wiess is a little off but good too. I haven't had the others recently.

-

How strong is the tangerine in that? I was considering that the other day, but I was worried it would be too strong for my liking, so I passed.

Not strong.  It's not a fruit beer.  It's an IPA brewed with tangerine peel.  I won't call the tangerine subtle, it's def there , but its not anything I'd call a fruit beer.  The citrus works perfectly with the hops. And that is pretty much the idea behind all the citrus IPA's out right now.

Not strong. It's not a fruit beer. It's an IPA brewed with tangerine peel. I won't call the tangerine subtle, it's def there , but its not anything I'd call a fruit beer. The citrus works perfectly with the hops. And that is pretty much the idea behind all the citrus IPA's out right now.

Awesome, that makes sense. I guess I just found the marketing on it confusing. It'll be the next six I pick up.

Awesome, that makes sense. I guess I just found the marketing on it confusing. It'll be the next six I pick up.

Or stop in at about any bar in the area and have one.  Just about everyone has it on draft right now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.