The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

• 2 months later...

Just got the first taste of my Citrus Weizen that I brewed early June. Got the recipe off a brewers forum and its my second or third time brewing without a recipe kit and defiantly the first with any sort of fruit additive (in this case a load of zest at the end of the boil).

I want to rig up a Lagering system but the wife might kill me if I spend any more money on my hobbies before getting tenure somewhere.

With much hesitation I'm finally replying to this thread and those who feel it's "wineification" to have a true understanding and appreciation of beer. It's quite ironic that the same folks who can devote 64 pages to the intracacies of a hockey trade, or dozens of pages on whether a player is worthy of playing 3rd line left wing cannot comprehend that once you get beyond the surface appreciation of anything (be it a sport, food, wine, beer - anything) that there will inevitably be more scrutiny and description that just "enjoyable" or "not enjoyable." Are some of the terms used laughable - sure. But some some are absolutely required (a good example is "horse blanket" or "barnyard" when describing a beer fermented spontaneously with wild yeast). Now - whether you decide to take your appreciation to the next level is your decision - you can stay at the base level if you choose - but please remember there are legions of people who think these sports forums are a large part of a wasted life!

This IS a beer appreciation thread after all - so perhaps be open to those who have decades of experience in the nuances and styles of craft beer. Chuckle at some of the terms used, sure, but you might just learn a thing or three.

And by the way - if you want to attend a quality beer festival, there's one tomorrow. The Buffalo Brewers Fest at Canalside. An all-day food, beer and music festival that features NYS craft breweries.

With much hesitation I'm finally replying to this thread and those who feel it's "wineification" to have a true understanding and appreciation of beer. It's quite ironic that the same folks who can devote 64 pages to the intracacies of a hockey trade, or dozens of pages on whether a player is worthy of playing 3rd line left wing cannot comprehend that once you get beyond the surface appreciation of anything (be it a sport, food, wine, beer - anything) that there will inevitably be more scrutiny and description that just "enjoyable" or "not enjoyable." Are some of the terms used laughable - sure. But some some are absolutely required (a good example is "horse blanket" or "barnyard" when describing a beer fermented spontaneously with wild yeast). Now - whether you decide to take your appreciation to the next level is your decision - you can stay at the base level if you choose - but please remember there are legions of people who think these sports forums are a large part of a wasted life!

This IS a beer appreciation thread after all - so perhaps be open to those who have decades of experience in the nuances and styles of craft beer. Chuckle at some of the terms used, sure, but you might just learn a thing or three.

And by the way - if you want to attend a quality beer festival, there's one tomorrow. The Buffalo Brewers Fest at Canalside. An all-day food, beer and music festival that features NYS craft breweries.

If you want to go to that festival, call Resurgence Brewing; last I knew most other places were sold out. I'm going, though :).

The sold out is just on printed paper tickets. There's plenty of spots available (maybe not VIP) and getting in at the door is no problem (with no extra fees).

By the way - I'm not the promoter of this festival and stand no monetary gain for this promotion - but close friends are.

I had to brave a gaggle of stinking neo-hippies and wanna-be progressive NWO types to get it, but the single bottle Double IPA at Trader Joes is very good. The texture of the beer, alone, is high quality, let alone the well balanced hoppy taste. Worth the 2 dollars and change per bottle.

I had to brave a gaggle of stinking neo-hippies and wanna-be progressive NWO types to get it, but the single bottle Double IPA at Trader Joes is very good. The texture of the beer, alone, is high quality, let alone the well balanced hoppy taste. Worth the 2 dollars and change per bottle.

I'm chuckling at "$2+" per bottle. That's close to average prices for craft beer purchased in 6-packs in PA. At the Wegmans here, I'm happy when I find anything at $9, fine for $10, and have certainly had a few 4-packs at around $10 for the strong stuff. I'm a sucker or big bottles (23oz/750ml), which are almost always $5-$10. I've started buying cases again, since it's cheaper.

I'm going to the annual Music City Brewer's Festival tomorrow here in Nashville (http://www.musiccity.../breweries.html). I go to a lot of these festivals and most have more-or-less the same brewers. But, hopefully there will be some new offerings that I haven't tried before.

...all you can drink means all you can drink. I consider that to be a challenge!

I'm chuckling at "$2+" per bottle. That's close to average prices for craft beer purchased in 6-packs in PA. At the Wegmans here, I'm happy when I find anything at $9, fine for $10, and have certainly had a few 4-packs at around $10 for the strong stuff. I'm a sucker or big bottles (23oz/750ml), which are almost always $5-$10. I've started buying cases again, since it's cheaper.

I happened to buy a case of Victory Dirt Wolf Double IPA today at my local Brew-thru. A hair under $48 for a case (24 bottles). They'd be at least $10/4-pack at Wegs (and more expensive anywhere else).

If you want to go to that festival, call Resurgence Brewing; last I knew most other places were sold out. I'm going, though :).

How is the beer @ Resurgence? I've been traveling to Buffalo quite often lately and was thinking about stopping in there.

I did have some Flying Bison Kolsch last time I was up there (Taste of Buffalo weekend) and it was okay. Is their IPA decent?

How is the beer @ Resurgence? I've been traveling to Buffalo quite often lately and was thinking about stopping in there.

I did have some Flying Bison Kolsch last time I was up there (Taste of Buffalo weekend) and it was okay. Is their IPA decent?

I was at Resurgence last month. Both their IPA and double IPA were pretty darn good. The sponge candy stout wasn't the trainwreck I anticipated and was actually pretty decent. The loganberry wit was awful. I had a saison too that was good.

I fully understand and appreciate the need for interesting terms to describe the color, flavor and aroma of craft beer. Some people just try way too hard and go overboard IMO.

Resurgence is very good. They pride themselves on being fairly inventive (without falling into the realm of novelty beer), so they constantly have different stuff. Their flagship 'Resurgence IPA' is quite delicious IMHO. They used to have a Blood Orange Saison that everyone was raving over, but they were out last time I was there. Definitely worth the stop in.

Just an update on the single beers at Trader Joes, all of them are very good, excepting the chocolate. My wife likes the chocolate, but I put my foot down when it comes to flavored beers.

I think some flavored beers are quite good provided that they have been brewed right and the flavor isn't overpowering. Some blackberry witbiers are delicious, for example; the problem is when they approach "malt beverage" levels of flavored beers. The BIG beer companies that simply flavor their light lager is not the right way but adding an ingredient at the end of the boil to add a lingering quality of the flavoring can turn out delicious.

• 1 month later...

Geez - didn't mean to kill the thread :)

Brewed for the first time in a long, long time. Made 10 gallons of "The Blank Czech Pils" for the start of hockey season. Now to fill the rest of my fermenters and kegs...

If anyone gets down to Jamestown area check out Brazil. Excellent selection on tap and decent bottles list.

• 5 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.