Sabres top prospect

MillerLight30

Buffalo's #1 prospect  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Of these players, who is Buffalo's #1 prospect?

• Luke Adam
    • Zack Kassian
    • Brayden McNabb

While Luke Adam is the only one of the three players to play in a regular season NHL game, all three are seen to soon make the jump from Rochester to Buffalo. Luke Adam would have to be consired Buffalo's number one prospect due to his time with the big club while still playing for Portland circa last season. Kassian saw some time in a few pre-season games last year as did McNabb.

Both have yet to play during a regular season game but could make the jump if proven during training camp. What do u think?

I consider Kassian our top prospect, but I base that only on the hype around him. I haven't seen him play in person. McNabb is same story (for me) -- I hear a lot of good things about him and I'm excited about him, but haven't seen him play myself, so it's hard to formulate a supported opinion. BUT, I've voiced my displeasure with Luke Adam all season long, so he's pretty much out of the running by default for me. (Watch... Luke Adam is going to be the next big superstar in the league. I loved Afinogenov -- he sucked. I loved Connolly -- he sucked. I HATE Luke Adam -- he's going to turn into the next Sidney Crosby and nobody here will ever let me live it down... I just KNOW it. :nana: )

From an organizational standpoint though, I think Luke Adam and Kassian are definitely Top 3. I don't know so much about McNabb. I didn't make it up for any of the development camp, so I don't have an up-to-date analysis for ya-- but if you're asking who will get call ups in the season, I'm fairly certain Luke Adam and Kassian will be your first two choices on offense. As far as defense call ups go... it's a toss up. There's quite a few "promising" (and i use that term somewhat loosely) defensive prospects in our system and I think any one of them could end up getting the call, depending on who's playing well in Rochester at the time.

Well said. From my perspective I like Kassian over Adam and McNabb. This may be baised because I have only seen Kassian play during the Juniors and he showed his physicallity, grit and offensive flare that would benefit Buffalo's stronger team this year.

Exactly. To me, the only reason Adam is in the discussion is because he's our best prospect at center, which is a position of need. Kassian offers a variety of different styles of play, as you mentioned, with his physical game and offensive ability. But he isn't a center, so you have to hope for Adam to develop into a good one. Also, Adam does have AHL ROTY on his resume... not the same level accomplishment as NHL ROTY or anything, but an impressive accomplishment none the less when you consider how many other rookies spent time in the AHL last season.

However there's always the chance that Kassian was overhyped from the beginning and that Luke Adam really could be the better player when all is said and done. But certainly the hype around Kassian has me far more excited to see him than Adam, despite our need for a center.

Kassian is just our best prospect. Hands down. The sheer combination of just a nasty, gritty player with the ability to over-power most player in the league not named Chara gives me a raging semi. Not to mention his obvious offensive ability.

I need to take a shower.

Interesting that the Hockey News Future Watch has Kassian ranked the 14th best prospect in the league, while Adam is close behind at number 19.

McNabb was not rated in the top 75. The other Sabres who were: Marcus Foligno @ 53 and Mark Pysyk @ 73.

The rankings are based on broad polling of NHL scouts and personnel people.

Like everyone else, I am in love with the idea of Kassian — a Cam Neely bear of player that scores and strikes fear into the heart of others.

I am a little concerned that the expectations are such that he will not be able to meet them. And he will eventually end up like Tim Connolly — run out of town, not for being what he is, but for not being what he was supposed to be.

I looked at the question in terms of who will eventually be the better player in the NHL. My hunch says McNabb.

I looked at it in terms of who would be the best NHL player right now. My answer is Luke Adam. McNabb isn't even the most ready Dman, let alone prospect in the system.

I hate to use the term "upside," but that's the difference between Kassian and Adam ... if both max out, Kassian will be better ... but the fear seems to be he is boom or bust ... could be an all-star power forward, could end up in jail, who knows ... Adam probably is not going to be an all-star but everyone seems to agree he will be a solid player in the league.

I hope all of the high expectations and hopes for Kassian are met. I've never seen him play, but to see him as the second coming of Neely almost surely sets him up to fall short. If he's something less, is he a failure?

I just hope he turns into a player who's quite a bit better than Steve Bernier!

I looked at it in terms of who would be the best NHL player right now. My answer is Luke Adam. McNabb isn't even the most ready Dman, let alone prospect in the system.

I wouldn't call that the "top" or "best" prospect; I'd call that the ... well ... "most nhl-ready" prospect. To me, it's the one that you would least want to trade away and the one that rival gm's would most want to acquire. I'm with BTP, Adam may be close to ready, but I think he has a relatively low chance of being more than just a pretty good player. He's more known, more progressed, but his potential top level is lower. Kassian may very well turn out to be just a big goon, but he seems to have the tools need to be an impact power forward. Right now, I'd say he'd have more trade value than Adam. I would, however, say that Adam's stock will be less volatile, because he is further along. Zack's stock will fizzle or skyrocket rather quickly based on what he shows at the professional level.

I'm going to go with Luke Adam on this one. Total package, size and skill. I think he'll be a Ryan Getzlaf type player once he grows into his body and matures. I was really high on Byron, but this team is already small so trading him for Regehr was perfect. Look for Corey Tropp to open some eyes next season. Drew Schiestel was having an amazing season last year until he went down with an injury. I think he'll have a full time spot after this season when Morrison is history

I wouldn't call that the "top" or "best" prospect; I'd call that the ... well ... "most nhl-ready" prospect. To me, it's the one that you would least want to trade away and the one that rival gm's would most want to acquire. I'm with BTP, Adam may be close to ready, but I think he has a relatively low chance of being more than just a pretty good player. He's more known, more progressed, but his potential top level is lower. Kassian may very well turn out to be just a big goon, but he seems to have the tools need to be an impact power forward. Right now, I'd say he'd have more trade value than Adam. I would, however, say that Adam's stock will be less volatile, because he is further along. Zack's stock will fizzle or skyrocket rather quickly based on what he shows at the professional level.

Good post.

I voted for Kassian. He's got the size and the attitude, and I saw some offensive skill, hands and hockey IQ in the preseason games that were on TV last year. I expect him to spend this year in Rochester and then push hard for a spot with the Sabres next year.

From a pure scoring standpoint, hopefully Armia rockets up the listing with his next season in Europe.

His draft status places him right near the top. Let's hope this kid ends the Sabres bad streak with drafting Europeans. (I know Sekera, Enroth and Vanek are Euros but you have to admit it's been few and far between landing good European players high in the draft)

If you use purely "upside", I think Kassian has to be the top prospect. Noone in the organization has the potential that Kassian has. Adam projects to a 3rd line center. I don't think any of the defensive prospects are projected to 1st pairing so at best a couple of them might project about equal to Kassian. Kassian has enough talent to project to a 2nd line forward if he develops as hoped. Heck, he might even creep onto some teams 1st lines if his development matches his talent and size. He is the most exciting prospect to come into this organization since Vanek. It is very important that his development is handled properly.

His draft status places him right near the top. Let's hope this kid ends the Sabres bad streak with drafting Europeans. (I know Sekera, Enroth and Vanek are Euros but you have to admit it's been few and far between landing good European players high in the draft)

I don't think Vanek should be considered a typical "Euro" player. He's been playing in N. America since he was 14.

If you use purely "upside", I think Kassian has to be the top prospect. Noone in the organization has the potential that Kassian has. Adam projects to a 3rd line center. I don't think any of the defensive prospects are projected to 1st pairing so at best a couple of them might project about equal to Kassian. Kassian has enough talent to project to a 2nd line forward if he develops as hoped. Heck, he might even creep onto some teams 1st lines if his development matches his talent and size. He is the most exciting prospect to come into this organization since Vanek. It is very important that his development is handled properly.

luke adam will be much more than a 3rd line center....if you're referring to the now, then yes, as for the future I see him as a top line center on this team

luke adam will be much more than a 3rd line center....if you're referring to the now, then yes, as for the future I see him as a top line center on this team

I disagree. I can see him maybe cracking into the 2nd line role, but I honestly don't see the same amount of upside in him as Kassian (not a center...I know). If he does become a top line center, then by all means he can prove me wrong, and i would love him for it, but I just don't think it's there.

Then you are seeing something that most of the people who rate and project draft prospects didn't/aren't seeing. Luke Adam was projected to be a high 3rd line, low 2nd line prospect right from draft day. He projects to be a decent puck possession guy with limited skating skills and limited offensive upside at the NHL level. Think Paul Gaustad with a little more skill and a little less nasty. It is certainly possible that his offensive game develops more than what was projected, but the concesus was that he'd be a good 3rd line player at the NHL level. If he becomes our #1 center down the road it is because either his development went off the charts or our teams center situation sucks even more than it does now.

I hope you are correct, but I don't think it is realistic to expect what you are expecting from Adam.

He's way too slow for that, and you can't teach speed.

He's way too slow for that, and you can't teach speed.

which is why cantancci is so exciting... he has speed and then more speed with a side of speed. Adam might become a 2nd line center like Krecji but his potential upside is not as awesome as a guy like armia who can be top 5 rw in the game potential.

Archived