Enroth signed

BetweenThePipes00

I'll say....

Year 1 - 750,000

Year 2 - 920,000

One-way.

Okay, since we know it's a two-year, I think it's higher than this.

$850k

$1m

One-way.

I think it was talked about earlier that he was balking at $750k, right?

I'll say 2 years $1.5m with incentives that could push it to $2m. One way also.

I don't believe he's able to have a contract with incentives.

Wasn't it $750k for two-way or league-minimum for one-way, and he wanted $750 for one-way?

If I remember correctly, Strickland was reporting the Sabres were offering either the QO which was 660k on a two way, or the league min on a one way. Enroth was reportedly asking for 700k on a one way.

Another article in Sweden. I'll try to sum up some parts:

He did have an offer from the KHL Dynamo Minsk for about 1.5 million for one year.

Sabres wanted to give him a two-way contract the first month they negotiated, then the KHL came into play and they offered him a one way deal.

After that it was only to agree on the $amount. $1,350,000 (625,000 first year, 725 second year).

In the end "I chose my childhood dream over the money". "I do not want to take a chance and miss out on the NHL now that I have one foot inside the NHL."

"My plan was to be back in the NHL during my third season. Now, I was hurt at the end of my second season, which went really well, and I think that Buffalo, with the damage wanted me to run for another year in the AHL."

and for Eleven.... he does have a secret twitter account that he follows people with, but he's doesn't tweet.

So much for hardball negotiations.

They basically split the difference, which is what I wanted and what seemed the most logical solution. The Sabres pay what they wanted in year one and pay what Enroth wanted in year two. Enroth's pay in year two is still a bargain for a good backup goalie who can both step in for Miller when he needs rest and take over for a month or two if he's hurt.

In the meantime, he got a really good offer from a KHL team. If he didn't have a significant preference for North America, he might be gone now.

In the meantime, he got a really good offer from a KHL team. If he didn't have a significant preference for North America, he might be gone now.

It also means that his next contract he probably will be getting at least 1.5 mil a season as long as he continues to improve.

You know what the next logical question is?

Ryan Miller will be 34 when his contract expires in 3 years. Do you resign Enroth in 2 years if he maintains his progress and becomes a #1 and then have him replace ryan or do you trade him and go through the goalie crap shoot again and ride miller into the ground (im guessing miller makes it to about 36-38) This question can not be answered now but can be better answered at the end of this season. Enroth wants to prove his worth than lets see if in a 20 game season he can maintain some decent numbers. I really like the Enroth contract because it gives the Sabres 2 years to make the decision with who becomes goalie after Miller or do you keep miller as #1 til retirement. Depth is a wonderful thing.

So now back to the present, Enroth should get 20 starts or basically he should start 1 of every back to back game. I think he can be used effectively and the sabres defense is good enough that he should be able to grow accordingly. I have high hopes for Enroth and think the sabres allowing him to learn behind miller is a good move. I dont adhere to the "if you dont play them regularly they get rusty" theory when it comes to goaltending, Enroth should be able to watch and learn and apply what he has learned in the games he gets. 20-25 games should be pretty good and since he played 14 games last season, I expect that he will be better tested by NHL teams this season now that there is somewhat of a book on him.

...seriously though this season needs to start.

You know what the next logical question is?

Ryan Miller will be 34 when his contract expires in 3 years. Do you resign Enroth in 2 years if he maintains his progress and becomes a #1 and then have him replace ryan or do you trade him and go through the goalie crap shoot again and ride miller into the ground (im guessing miller makes it to about 36-38) This question can not be answered now but can be better answered at the end of this season. Enroth wants to prove his worth than lets see if in a 20 game season he can maintain some decent numbers. I really like the Enroth contract because it gives the Sabres 2 years to make the decision with who becomes goalie after Miller or do you keep miller as #1 til retirement. Depth is a wonderful thing.

So now back to the present, Enroth should get 20 starts or basically he should start 1 of every back to back game. I think he can be used effectively and the sabres defense is good enough that he should be able to grow accordingly. I have high hopes for Enroth and think the sabres allowing him to learn behind miller is a good move. I dont adhere to the "if you dont play them regularly they get rusty" theory when it comes to goaltending, Enroth should be able to watch and learn and apply what he has learned in the games he gets. 20-25 games should be pretty good and since he played 14 games last season, I expect that he will be better tested by NHL teams this season now that there is somewhat of a book on him.

...seriously though this season needs to start.

I agree, it's hard to say at this point with Enroth still unproven (year over year consistency is more important than just 1 year of good stats). Miller could still have another solid 4-5 years in him, especially with some stud D-men in front of him and a lighter regular season workload. Ideally, you have both performing well and in the fold (signed) so you have some bargaining tools for trades.

Enroth has proven he can come in and perform without regular action. My worry about him as a #1, or as the back-up, is his height. It makes it easier to screen him and teams are going to shoot high a lot, as they were by the end of last season. But as you said, we'll know by the end of this season if he can compete at the NHL level on a regular basis.

Enroth has proven he can come in and perform without regular action.

He has? My memory tells me that Enroth was down and playing in Portland between starts here. I don't recall a time where he came in after a bunch of games off and proved he was up to the task. Example?

He has? My memory tells me that Enroth was down and playing in Portland between starts here. I don't recall a time where he came in after a bunch of games off and proved he was up to the task. Example?

The only one I can think of is sitting out the first 6 games of the playoffs and then playing some in Game 7. 'Bout it.

I'm not nearly as optimistic about Enroth as some fans. He did a very good job last year, but as others have pointed out, he was a relative unknown. It's quite possible that he will get "figured out" by other teams and never play as well again. We shall see, but I wouldn't slot him in as a guaranteed #1 just yet.

The only one I can think of is sitting out the first 6 games of the playoffs and then playing some in Game 7. 'Bout it.

That is the only one.

I'm not nearly as optimistic about Enroth as some fans. He did a very good job last year, but as others have pointed out, he was a relative unknown. It's quite possible that he will get "figured out" by other teams and never plays as well again. We shall see, but I wouldn't slot him in as a guaranteed #1 just yet.

I agree 100%. I think he needs a few years as Miller's backup...then we'll go from there.

Who knows, if Gerbe isn't busy filling in at center, maybe he could play goal too? (I kid I kid...but seriously... ;) )

Archived