Enroth signed

BetweenThePipes00

Considering that goaltending -- as in finding someone else to play so that we don't have to run Miller into the ground every single year -- has been a major issue for the Sabres for several years now, I don't think the consternation over how this is going is unwarranted.

How exactly is it "going" that makes the consternation warranted?

Seriously ... so far I have heard ONE thing about the talks reported in English, and that was the AP reporting that Darcy said "contract talks are progressing with backup goalie Jhonas Enroth, and is optimistic a deal can be reached by the end of the week." in the USA Today. X. provided the link above. Other than that, we have a vague reference 8 days ago on a Swedish hockey website that he wants "a little more money" (Player wants more money! Darcy MUST be f@&$-ing up! Pay him NOW!) and now some obscure report out of Russia that says he has signed or will sign or may sign in the KHL ... a report that, if you look closely, is actually dated EIGHT days ago, the same day as the report from Sweden.

Call me crazy, but if it hasn't been verified by someone in the English speaking media who cover the NHL for a living after more than a week, I am guessing it's CRAP. When he actually signs overseas or training camp starts without him, then we'll have reason to be upset. We're not close to either of those things yet.

How exactly is it "going" that makes the consternation warranted?

Seriously ... so far I have heard ONE thing about the talks reported in English, and that was the AP reporting that Darcy said "contract talks are progressing with backup goalie Jhonas Enroth, and is optimistic a deal can be reached by the end of the week." in the USA Today. X. provided the link above. Other than that, we have a vague reference 8 days ago on a Swedish hockey website that he wants "a little more money" (Player wants more money! Darcy MUST be f@&$-ing up! Pay him NOW!) and now some obscure report out of Russia that says he has signed or will sign or may sign in the KHL ... a report that, if you look closely, is actually dated EIGHT days ago, the same day as the report from Sweden.

Call me crazy, but if it hasn't been verified by someone in the English speaking media who cover the NHL for a living after more than a week, I am guessing it's CRAP. When he actually signs overseas or training camp starts without him, then we'll have reason to be upset. We're not close to either of those things yet.

The fact that it's still going on at all is frustrating. It was reported weeks ago that they're less than $200,000 apart, and I think Enroth was talking about the same (or less) money that we burned on Lalime last year. What is the problem again? Split the difference and toss in an incentive or two and it's done.

Enroth is the light at the end of the tunnel for Sabres fans after years of not having a good backup goalie and watching Ruff run Miller into the ground every year. Get it done.

The fact that it's still going on at all is frustrating. It was reported weeks ago that they're less than $200,000 apart, and I think Enroth was talking about the same (or less) money that we burned on Lalime last year. What is the problem again? Split the difference and toss in an incentive or two and it's done.

Enroth is the light at the end of the tunnel for Sabres fans after years of not having a good backup goalie and watching Ruff run Miller into the ground every year. Get it done.

There really isn't a deadline here. Enroth can't go to Arby. So there really is no hurry for the agent or Darcy.

Presumably, he could get an offer sheet (which is unlikely with the stock on the UFA market left) or he could go to the KHL - which probably kills any NHL future for him.

If this gets done at the end of August (I expect it will get done much sooner)...is that really a problem?

That's only fans who buy into the run down argument.

OK ... if you say so. You think Luke Schenn is not important to the Leafs? How about Drew Doughty to the Kings? Zach Bogosian in Winnipeg? None of those guys have deals and they are all much more important to their teams. Are all these GMs just horrible? Or could it be that the players have NO OTHER OPTIONS and there is no deadline to get it done (other than the start of camp)? Both sides can be stubborn and wait it out a bit ... there is NO reason to give in.

(And incidentally, $200K is quite a bit when the deal is going to be less than a million bucks ... it may be chump change to Pegula, but you start throwing in an extra $200K on all your RFA deals just to be a nice guy and you start to piss off your fellow GMs.)

If this gets done at the end of August (I expect it will get done much sooner)...is that really a problem?

Of course not.

OK ... if you say so. You think Luke Schenn is not important to the Leafs? How about Drew Doughty to the Kings? Zach Bogosian in Winnipeg? None of those guys have deals and they are all much more important to their teams. Are all these GMs just horrible? Or could it be that the players have NO OTHER OPTIONS and there is no deadline to get it done (other than the start of camp)? Both sides can be stubborn and wait it out a bit ... there is NO reason to give in.

(And incidentally, $200K is quite a bit when the deal is going to be less than a million bucks ... it may be chump change to Pegula, but you start throwing in an extra $200K on all your RFA deals just to be a nice guy and you start to piss off your fellow GMs.)

Where am I saying that all those GMs are horrible or that our GM is horrible? You're responding to imaginary points that I'm not making.

According to the translation of this, Enroth wants around $700,000 per year. That seems very reasonable, even cheap, for a good no.2 goalie who has the potential to be more than a backup down the road. The Sabres want to pay him...what? Maybe $600,000 a year? That's the plan?

The problem is that the Sabres spent money all summer. They took on Regehr and Kotalik's contracts. Then they broke the bank for Ehrhoff and Leino. They gave pretty nice contracts out to Stafford, Gerbe, McCormick, and Sekera. But now they're in a place where they'll have some cap concerns moving forward and they're playing hardball with their last RFA -- a guy who is going to be among the lowest paid players on the team even though he addresses a need we've had since the day we dealt Marty Biron in 2007.

Oh, snap.

Sounds like Enroth isn't willing to wait for Miller to step aside and wants to prove he's a #1 goalie now? There are backups available on the FA market but they are gonna affect our cap more than Enroth would methinks. Edit- Turco and Conklin are still available I think.

Conklin is now Detroit's backup.

Of course not.

Where am I saying that all those GMs are horrible or that our GM is horrible? You're responding to imaginary points that I'm not making.

According to the translation of this, Enroth wants around $700,000 per year. That seems very reasonable, even cheap, for a good no.2 goalie who has the potential to be more than a backup down the road. The Sabres want to pay him...what? Maybe $600,000 a year? That's the plan?

The problem is that the Sabres spent money all summer. They took on Regehr and Kotalik's contracts. Then they broke the bank for Ehrhoff and Leino. They gave pretty nice contracts out to Stafford, Gerbe, McCormick, and Sekera. But now they're in a place where they'll have some cap concerns moving forward and they're playing hardball with their last RFA -- a guy who is going to be among the lowest paid players on the team even though he addresses a need we've had since the day we dealt Marty Biron in 2007.

There is ZERO indication they are playing hardball. None. That is my point. Is it so hard to believe that maybe they had preliminary talks, they were pretty close, so they said "Cool, we're close, let us work on the guy going to arbitration and we'll get back to you."? There has been nothing reported to this point to suggest "hardball."

There is ZERO indication they are playing hardball. None. That is my point. Is it so hard to believe that maybe they had preliminary talks, they were pretty close, so they said "Cool, we're close, let us work on the guy going to arbitration and we'll get back to you."? There has been nothing reported to this point to suggest "hardball."

They're haggling over what is probably less than $100,000 even though Enroth's target still seems cheap for a backup goalie. This after an entire summer of throwing money at everyone they could.

They're haggling over what is probably less than $100,000 even though Enroth's target still seems cheap for a backup goalie. This after an entire summer of throwing money at everyone they could.

Haggling assumes they are in constant dialog. They probably aren't.

These agents have schedules too....

It probably goes like this...."We want to get Sekera done, and then we'll see where we are in terms of the cap...I got 90 minutes free Friday morning, so if that is good for you we can talk then, I'll have two options for term that you'll need to show Jhonas....we know he liked the two-year, but I'll have a 3-year with some new numbers . Okay, Friday at 10:00 our time. Talk to you then."

Haggling assumes they are in constant dialog. They probably aren't.

These agents have schedules too....

It probably goes like this...."We want to get Sekera done, and then we'll see where we are in terms of the cap...I got 90 minutes free Friday morning, so if that is good for you we can talk then, I'll have two options for term that you'll need to show Jhonas....we know he liked the two-year, but I'll have a 3-year with some new numbers . Okay, Friday at 10:00 our time. Talk to you then."

Stop being reasonable. ;)

We are dealing w/ a quantum mechanics type phenomenon. The fact the deal isn't done is proof that one won't get done. Except of course once it is done.

Stop being reasonable. ;)

We are dealing w/ a quantum mechanics type phenomenon. The fact the deal isn't done is proof that one won't get done. Except of course once it is done.

What if the contract is signed in a forest?

If you don't feel this is news and worth fretting over....maybe you would like to direct your view to THE MODERATOR who posted the news that Enroth has signed with a KHL team.

Thank You

Sorry I thought she was just making a joke about the media since the story was 8 days old. She's not as obviously funny as you are, but she's subtle.

Archived