Enroth signed

BetweenThePipes00

When does Enroth get to prove himself then?

Miller was unproven and had only played 18 NHL games and his numbers were nothing terrific before he was made starter on opening day in 05.

Hasek sat behind Belfour, then behind Puppa and Fuhr. Glad the Sabres didn't take the same approach with Hasek as your taking with Miller/Enroth. And NO Haseks numbers were nothing to write home about before he became the starter.

Montreal made a decision to go with a teenage Price. They haven't won yet but that has not been a bad decision. There have plenty more decisions to go with the younger unproven guy that have worked out.

So IMHO your theory is bunk. Miller has been on good teams, 05/06, 07/08, 09/10, 10/11 and has yet to do squat. How many more chances do you have give the guy to prove he's a choker. Time to turn the page, the next Hasek might be sitting on the bench having his growth stunted by an average goaltender.

OK you have obviously made up your mind you think Enroth is ready now, but don't act like it should be obvious to the rest of us. Your best argument is less about what he is and more about the fact that he is not Miller. The next Hasek? He's just as likely to be the next Noronen. IMO, he's probably somewhere in between the best goalie of his generation and a backup who went back to Finland ... I think he will start in the NHL, maybe even for Buffalo. But this is just like my Ennis argument on another thread ... I LIKE these guys but you guys are being totally unrealistic about what they are at this point in their careers.

And it should also be pointed out that you keep invoking the name of Carey Price as to why Enroth needs a chance ... well Price hasn't won squat in 4 years either, and his career numbers are almost exactly the same as Miller's (2.60 GAA, .916 SV PCT for Price, 2.57, .915 SV PCT for Miller) ... whom you have declared average. You might have better luck using Cam Ward ... at least he has a Cup ... but his numbers are WORSE than those of the average Ryan Miller.

so, Enroth is not happy with the money he's been offered from what i understand from msg.

http://www.wben.com/Report--Sabres--Enroth-Looking-for-Slight-Raise/10336504

it basically implies Enroth wants 700k on a 1way deal. I think thats about fair for him especially if its for a year or two. Supposedly the sabres haven't offered that much (the report being quoted is out of sweden).

Thoughts?

so, Enroth is not happy with the money he's been offered from what i understand from msg.

http://www.wben.com/Report--Sabres--Enroth-Looking-for-Slight-Raise/10336504

it basically implies Enroth wants 700k on a 1way deal. I think thats about fair for him especially if its for a year or two. Supposedly the sabres haven't offered that much (the report being quoted is out of sweden).

Thoughts?

I agree. I don't think any player anywhere asking to go from $585K to $700K is much of a problem.

I agree. I don't think any player anywhere asking to go from $585K to $700K is much of a problem.

The 1-way deal might be though. Would that affect his waiver status?

Mr. Snow, I hope you see the error in the logic of your 'Miller and Hasek didn't have great numbers until they were starters argument'. The problem is while that's true, I'd bet the AHL is littered with goalies that have similar starts in the NHL and didn't make it thru December as the starter. Sometimes you get something amazing, but most of the time you don't.[0]

[0] yes, I'm not backing that up with facts which is its own logical issue. :)

The 1-way deal might be though. Would that affect his waiver status?

Mr. Snow, I hope you see the error in the logic of your 'Miller and Hasek didn't have great numbers until they were starters argument'. The problem is while that's true, I'd bet the AHL is littered with goalies that have similar starts in the NHL and didn't make it thru December as the starter. Sometimes you get something amazing, but most of the time you don't.[0]

[0] yes, I'm not backing that up with facts which is its own logical issue. :)

He's exempt from waiver for another 64 games. He doesn't need to play, just be on the bench.

I just read Garth's blog on hockeybuzz and if he did his math right than the sabres had to offer Enroth 700k+ just for his qualifying offer so if the swedish article is accurate than Enroth wants more than 700k and ppl can't do math.... now i am curious to know what is actually going on because 700k for a backup or even 1mil would be fine if they can win 10-15games out of the 20 to 25 they play. I am just confused now because WTF is going on?

yes ik its hockey lies and crap but the bloggers usually aren't terrible: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTH/ENROTH-WE-WANT-MORE-MONEY/6/37041

I just read Garth's blog on hockeybuzz and if he did his math right than the sabres had to offer Enroth 700k+ just for his qualifying offer so if the swedish article is accurate than Enroth wants more than 700k and ppl can't do math.... now i am curious to know what is actually going on because 700k for a backup or even 1mil would be fine if they can win 10-15games out of the 20 to 25 they play. I am just confused now because WTF is going on?

yes ik its hockey lies and crap but the bloggers usually aren't terrible: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTH/ENROTH-WE-WANT-MORE-MONEY/6/37041

From what I can tell, there are a couple of things at play here. First, I think there is something lost in translation in that article. Either that or Enroth's agent is flat out lying. Second, Garth has no idea how to use Capgeek and it appears that he also does not know a single thing about the CBA. Hence, this is exactly the reason why people are so cautious when looking at anything from hockeybuzz because you have some bloggers who are Eklund wannabe's that know absolutely nothing. Don't get me wrong, as I will occasionally read hockeybuzz from time-to-time as I find it amusing. Going to hockeybuzz is like watching professional wrestling, you know it's fake, but GD you can't stop yourself from watching it.

Anyway, if you go to capgeek and use the Qualifying Offer Calculator and select Jhonas Enroth from the list of Restricted Free Agents, his Qualifying Offer is $660,000. Here's the Link. So, if we assume the article is correct and he's looking for a $700K deal that is one-way, I think the Sabres will likely agree to terms where they make it a two-way deal, but increase the NHL salary to like $750K to give them downside protection.

The moral of the story is, if you go to hockeybuzz, know what you're getting yourself into.

From what I can tell, there are a couple of things at play here. First, I think there is something lost in translation in that article. Either that or Enroth's agent is flat out lying. Second, Garth has no idea how to use Capgeek and it appears that he also does not know a single thing about the CBA. Hence, this is exactly the reason why people are so cautious when looking at anything from hockeybuzz because you have some bloggers who are Eklund wannabe's that know absolutely nothing. Don't get me wrong, as I will occasionally read hockeybuzz from time-to-time as I find it amusing. Going to hockeybuzz is like watching professional wrestling, you know it's fake, but GD you can't stop yourself from watching it.

Anyway, if you go to capgeek and use the Qualifying Offer Calculator and select Jhonas Enroth from the list of Restricted Free Agents, his Qualifying Offer is $660,000. Here's the Link. So, if we assume the article is correct and he's looking for a $700K deal that is one-way, I think the Sabres will likely agree to terms where they make it a two-way deal, but increase the NHL salary to like $750K to give them downside protection.

The moral of the story is, if you go to hockeybuzz, know what you're getting yourself into.

Definitely, thats why i quoted the source, i always assume that they may have gotten something wrong. Either way its interesting that 700k for enroth is "to much" for the sabres.

Hockey lies and crap 0, Sabrespace 4,812,207

ps; Hockeybuzz is like the fat guy eating at mcdonalds, you can't help but look even though its very very wrong.

also i found a video of Eklund and his band of bloggers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHUUH44mO2w

The qualifying offer is 660k, but on a two way contract. The report from Strickland, who I feel is reliable, was that the Sabres offered him either the QO or a one way deal at the league minimum - $525k. Enroth really has no leverage except to hold out or go to Europe. Which would seem foolish for a prospect who's rights would be retained by the Sabres. I see no reason to give him anything.

From Strickland's twitter:

Word is Sabres goaltender Jhonas Enroth is not interested in the current offer from the club. Told $525,000 one-way or $660/$62,500 #Sabres

I didn't realize they could go below the qualifying offer by making it a one-way deal ... that seems off ... not saying it is wrong, just a weird quirk of the CBA.

He should probably take the two-way deal as there is almost no chance he is sent back to the AHL this year. If he's that confident in his abilities, he should take the two-way deal. Obviously, he wants to protect himself against injury causing him to be sent down or in the event one of the other 2 goalies in the organization beat him out, but I just don't think there's any chance he goes to the AHL this year, but that's my opinion. Even with the MacIntyre signing, I just don't think Enroth sees the AHL this year.

They should give him a longer contract for a 3 year 2.8 mill or more. He is become a valuable asset to the time which was proven by him alone in the net during our playoff run. He deserves to be in the NHL after the performance he showed this past season. And he's just a widdle guy!!

We are looking for a little more than that. There are goalies in this league who have played fewer matches than I did, but still make more money. Approximately 700 $ 000, I hope, says Jhon Enroth to hockeysverige.se and adds that it is a envägskontrakt he wants to host for.

envägskontrakt = one way contract (According to my googling)

Although I think Enroth would win an open competition for a roster spot, I don't think he should be guaranteed one. I would think that MacIntyre was given word that he would be given a fair shot to compete for a roster spot. A one-way for Enroth would effectively lock him out until there is an injury.

My big takeaway from that translation was that he wants a 1-way deal.

If the reports are true it seems as though the Sabres are willing to give him the one way deal, but they have no reason to give him any amount over the league minimum without concessions from the other side, probably in the form of years.

I can't help but feel this is much ado about nothing ... Obviously no one is signing him to an offer sheet, so he has no leverage. That's not to say he will end up signing for the Sabres first offer, but there's no rush and it sounds to me like the whole process is just getting started and they will meet in the middle somewhere. Again, Darcy is on the record last week calling Leggio and MacIntyre a good AHL tandem ... he obviously sees Enroth as an NHL goalie ... he'll get the one-way deal and make a little less money than he wants ... just like everyone else on the planet not named Kotalik..

I didn't realize they could go below the qualifying offer by making it a one-way deal ... that seems off ... not saying it is wrong, just a weird quirk of the CBA.

The qualifying offer is just a formality. It allows the team to retain his rights. Once that's done, they can negotiate however they'd like.

They should give him a longer contract for a 3 year 2.8 mill or more. He is become a valuable asset to the time which was proven by him alone in the net during our playoff run. He deserves to be in the NHL after the performance he showed this past season. And he's just a widdle guy!!

I hope that's a troll. :)

Archived