Enroth signed

BetweenThePipes00

If people knew the team could get him for $700K but felt he was "worth" $1 million and would be a bargain, that's fine, but that wasn't the discussion.

Yes, it was. By all accounts, the Sabres and Enroth were never very far apart on money. That's what made it confusing, especially given all the other contracts the Sabres signed this summer. When two sides are about $100,000 apart negotiating a pro sports contract that will still leave a player below the league average in pay, it's pretty easy to just split the difference and get it done. (That's what they ended up doing, BTW.)

Yes, it was. By all accounts, the Sabres and Enroth were never very far apart on money. That's what made it confusing, especially given all the other contracts the Sabres signed this summer. When two sides are about $100,000 apart negotiating a pro sports contract that will still leave a player below the league average in pay, it's pretty easy to just split the difference and get it done. (That's what they ended up doing, BTW.)

That may have been your stance, but there were plenty of others who were saying he should actually be paid more and in fact were predicting numbers over $1 million a year after the news broke that he was was signed, before we knew the terms.

It was obvious to me that he wasn't going to get $1 million a year from the very beginning, not because he is not a good player but because of where he is in his career ... he was stuck with very little leverage. I was, and still am, amazed that some could not see that, because everyone usually has a pretty firm grasp of market value. Even if we often disagree about which players we would pay market value. I don't see what the big deal is.

I think Enroth falls into the category many players have fallen into over the years. The unknown is greater than the known. Players like Gerbe, Ennis, Adam, Gragnani and Kassian all fall into this as well. Fans want to annoint them the next so and so without any basis other than a very limited set of data. All of those players could be all-stars just as much as they could be JAG. Nobody knows for certain but fans will continue to act as if they do know what will become of these players.

It is almost as if you took the exact thoughts right out of my brain, and posted them.

As Sabre fans, we have been blessed with good goaltending talents for a long time, and I think most of us at this point just assume the next guy in the system will automatically be the next big thing. I think some people forget the juggling turnstile of goalies we went through in the early 90's until Hasek came along (Wakaluk/ Malarchuk/ Puppa/ Draper).

Archived