Enroth signed

BetweenThePipes00

You have to be F'ng kidding me. This team is handing out cash like candy, and they are going to play hardball for a few hundred thousand with the best chance of a quality 20 game backup this team has had in the recent past?

If there is any truth to it....along with Sekera, this is a giant Darcy/Lindy "Eat $#!*" exacta....and just goes to show all the money in the world can't hide some flaws.

I was just starting to get comfortable with the idea I was truly going to be excited watching this team again. The past 24 hours is a sobering reminder of the past 13 years.

This would be devastating. Without Enroth, the Sabres sign another (!) journeyman backup and Ruff will do what he always does -- play him once a month for three months, get awful results, and then decide he can't afford to play him EVER. Miller plays 75 games, is burned out by playoff time, and gets outplayed in the first round by some nobody.

Enroth and the Sabres were NOT that far off on money. Just pay him and let's get on with our lives. We're paying everyone else whatever they want; why did we decide to turn this into a mess?

You have to be F'ng kidding me. This team is handing out cash like candy, and they are going to play hardball for a few hundred thousand with the best chance of a quality 20 game backup this team has had in the recent past?

If there is any truth to it....along with Sekera, this is a giant Darcy/Lindy "Eat $#!*" exacta....and just goes to show all the money in the world can't hide some flaws.

I was just starting to get comfortable with the idea I was truly going to be excited watching this team again. The past 24 hours is a sobering reminder of the past 13 years.

You guys are really jumping to conclusions here ... you have no idea what kind of numbers they are talking or how unreasonable Enroth's side might be. In reality, they PROBABLY ARE pretty close on money and it will get done, but there is no hurry given that they are close and there is no deadline. GoDD, your feelings about the Sekera deal are noted, but even you have to understand they would concentrate on a guy they believe is important going to arbitration before worrying about the backup goalie.

He's not going to Russia to make an extra couple hundred thousand unless he is an idiot. There's no way he can expect more than the $900K Corey Schneider is making, because it is a similar situation and Schneider has been better for longer in the NHL. The only way he goes to the KHL is if they WAY overpay for him, like double what the Sabres could pay him ... and if they do that, God bless him, he's taking a step back.

You haven't been sober for 13 years?

He's not going to Russia to make an extra couple hundred thousand unless he is an idiot. There's no way he can expect more than the $900K Corey Schneider is making, because it is a similar situation and Schneider has been better for longer in the NHL. The only way he goes to the KHL is if they WAY overpay for him, like double what the Sabres could pay him ... and if they do that, God bless him, he's taking a step back.

I'm not buying the Russia thing....

JW talked to Darcy yesterday...

"Regier added that contract talks are progressing with backup goalie Jhonas Enroth, and is optimistic a deal can be reached by the end of the week."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/2011-07-19-979897675_x.htm

Relax man, we really dont know anything apart from Darcy saying that a deal should be done by the end of the week. It's not all over yet. :)

Enroth is going to Russia like Foligno was going back into the draft. Does anyone still think the Sabres have a black eye because that "almost" happened? If Enroth goes to Russia, fine, get pissed. Until then, meh, it's all just posturing.

Enroth is going to Russia like Foligno was going back into the draft. Does anyone still think the Sabres have a black eye because that "almost" happened? If Enroth goes to Russia, fine, get pissed. Until then, meh, it's all just posturing.

Agreed, classic overreaction from a sensitive fan base. Agents know this and leak info to use public opinion. If he does go to Russia seems like it would be more on Enroth than on Darcy. He's willing to curtail his NHL career over a reported $40k?

Agreed, classic overreaction from a sensitive fan base. Agents know this and leak info to use public opinion. If he does go to Russia seems like it would be more on Enroth than on Darcy. He's willing to curtail his NHL career over a reported $40k?

While I agree with your point 100% in general ... if Enroth's agent leaked this just to sway public opinion, he is not very good at his job ... I mean, most Sabres fans speak ENGLISH ... leaking it to some weird russian media outlet is almost useless if that was his goal. He may as well have opened his window and yelled really loud, just as good a chance a Sabres fan would hear it.

While I agree with your point 100% in general ... if Enroth's agent leaked this just to sway public opinion, he is not very good at his job ... I mean, most Sabres fans speak ENGLISH ... leaking it to some weird russian media outlet is almost useless if that was his goal. He may as well have opened his window and yelled really loud, just as good a chance a Sabres fan would hear it.

And yet here we are discussing it...

yeah all 13 of us ... I don't think this thread is going to pressure Darcy into anything.

No offense, but you could not be more inappropriate and wrong-headed if you had shown up at a third grade class to read the the Kama Sutra. This is the most important place on earth with the most important people in the universe. Darcy reads this board like wall street reads the minutes from the latest Federal Reserve meeting. The interwebs were built for us.

No offense, but you could not be more inappropriate and wrong-headed if you had shown up at a third grade class to read the the Kama Sutra. This is the most important place on earth with the most important people in the universe. Darcy reads this board like wall street reads the minutes from the latest Federal Reserve meeting. The interwebs were built for us.

I love how nobody reads what is said....but we have a thread dedicated to Pominville about internet jockeys, Miller crying about fans getting on Connolly, Connolly crying to Rob Ray, Pegula saying the team quit because of negativity....yada-yada.

The media is all over this place. I'm sure I could go up to 80% of GR, half the BuffNews, and 100% of the dearly departed WECK and introduce myself as my handle and get a reaction.

This place is a cheap, easy, and fairly rational sampling of the fanbase.

I love how nobody reads what is said....but we have a thread dedicated to Pominville about internet jockeys, Miller crying about fans getting on Connolly, Connolly crying to Rob Ray, Pegula saying the team quit because of negativity....yada-yada.

The media is all over this place. I'm sure I could go up to 80% of GR, half the BuffNews, and 100% of the dearly departed WECK and introduce myself as my handle and get a reaction.

This place is a cheap, easy, and fairly rational sampling of the fanbase.

I agree ... but if I want to rile that fanbase up, I don't leak a story over in Russia. That's all I was saying.

yeah all 13 of us ... I don't think this thread is going to pressure Darcy into anything.

14 now ;-).

BTW... I would have rather signed Enroth for an agreeable amount and let Sekera go. Sekera still doesn't impress me all that much and he doesn't really fill any voids IMO. Especially if we were to sign Grangani.

14 now ;-).

BTW... I would have rather signed Enroth for an agreeable amount and let Sekera go. Sekera still doesn't impress me all that much and he doesn't really fill any voids IMO. Especially if we were to sign Grangani.

Yes

This is the one-two punch that has me riled up today. Some of the biggest consistant weaknesses of the team are being highlighted.

Overplaying Miller

Not valuing backup goaltender

Playing hardball with young/cheap guys while willingly handing piles of cash to soft Darcy favorites

Banking on soft skill instead of manly balance

I love how nobody reads what is said....

That reminds me that I haven't posted in this thread yet. :)

OK Darcy - go get Enroth signed up this week. I'm guessing a 2 yr contract. That should still keep him from being a UFA with whatever the next CBA does. Then we'll give you another week before you need to get Gragnani in the fold.

Yes

This is the one-two punch that has me riled up today. Some of the biggest consistant weaknesses of the team are being highlighted.

Overplaying Miller

Playing hardball with young/cheap guys while willingly handing piles of cash to soft Darcy favorites

Banking on soft girly man skill instead of manly balance

Fixed :thumbsup:

in all seriousness though, I think Enroth should have been one of our top priorities. He may not be the second coming, but he has promise...and more than any of our other previous back ups...

Speaking of Burke, he hasn't gotten a deal done with Luke Schenn yet ... I wonder if everyone in Toronto is panicking about it as much as some are about our backup goaltender.

Considering that goaltending -- as in finding someone else to play so that we don't have to run Miller into the ground every single year -- has been a major issue for the Sabres for several years now, I don't think the consternation over how this is going is unwarranted.

Yes

Overplaying Miller

Banking on soft skill instead of manly balance

GoDD, I'll bank on your manly balance any day.

Archived