Robyn Regehr, Kotalik and 2nd round pick (2012) to Sabres

SpikeGelato

Just the fact that we can realistically speculate about getting a player like Regehr is way more fun that I have had the last 8 (or so) offseasons. Let's hope we get him today, getting tired of updating every hockey page 100 times per hour :)

But I sure hope we aint getting rid of Kaleta or Weber.. I don't want Goose gone either. Trade some of our blueline prospects, those we have plenty of.

The reason the Sabres trade for a center (Spezza) has been held up since Wednesday is because it involves Calgary obviously.

Ok...but is this something you're actually hearing (and if so, from where), i.e., "rumblings," or just your idea?

I think we are giving up too much if the the facts above are true. Fine giving up Pysyk, Foligno and Gaustad, but not another number 1 in 2012. I would gut Goose or Foligno out of that mix if you can't hold next year's no. 1. But I think the Sabres should hold No. 1 Plus do we really want the Foligno brothers playing together?

You wanna play you gotta pay. The other teams want something for their troubles also. I suspect that without Foligno OTT says no thanks.

I dont want Stajan. A Piniata and would be happy if he landed on OTT.

I don't understand the haters in this thread. What's not to like about Regehr? He's big, he hits, blocks shots, and is a career plus. Sure we might have to give up a little to get, but this team needs a player like him. He'll make our defense stronger, which will translate into better offense.

If Darcy gets it done for a reasonable price, then good.

I will admit that I don't want to lose Foligno. That kid is gonna be a force in this league. Just watching him play in the WJC was a treat. I want him to get his shot on this team, and not because of his namesake.

I don't understand the haters in this thread. What's not to like about Regehr? He's big, he hits, blocks shots, and is a career plus. Sure we might have to give up a little to get, but this team needs a player like him. He'll make our defense stronger, which will translate into better offense.

I will admit that I don't want to lose Foligno. That kid is gonna be a force in this league. Just watching him play in the WJC was a treat. I want him to get his shot on this team, and not because of his namesake.

+1 man. I would love to see him play. From what iwas reading, he used to be paired with Leopold in Calgary (for the 3 seasons Leo was there I guess). They were pretty shutdown style.

I really can't wait to see what the deal turns out to be.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTH/REUNITED/6/36593

I don't know if this Garth from hockey buzz has much credibility but he calls it a done deal and says that Buffalo will NOT give up Luke Adam.

It's great to see what looks to be competence and some serious balls from the Sabres owner/front office in making moves and trying to build a team to chase a title.

I love hearing that there is something even bigger in the works. In the past I feel like we would give it one run or even no runs at getting a player and then that was it.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTH/REUNITED/6/36593

I don't know if this Garth from hockey buzz has much credibility but he calls it a done deal and says that Buffalo will NOT give up Luke Adam.

It's great to see what looks to be competence and some serious balls from the Sabres owner/front office in making moves and trying to build a team to chase a title.

I love hearing that there is something even bigger in the works. In the past I feel like we would give it one run or even no runs at getting a player and then that was it.

Ugh, hockeybuzz.

This doesn't give me a good feeling. If he's taking this long to consider it, then he probably doesn't want to come to Buffalo.

I was thinking of it the other way. If he is sleeping on it he is really considering it. He could have flat out told them no from the start.

This doesn't give me a good feeling. If he's taking this long to consider it, then he probably doesn't want to come to Buffalo.

It hasn't been even been 24 hours. ...

Lots of things for a player to consider....will the wife go? will the house sell? can I find the kids a school? what are the taxes? do I lose money selling the house and buying a new one?

what do other players say?

A no-trade means he doesn't have to make a snap decision. These guys have lives outside hockey too.

Or, he's being comprehensive in his consideration. Looking at neighborhoods, logistics of the move, residential requirements for US vs. Canada.....

If he didn't have a shred of desire to come, he would have just said no.

Paul Hamilton on WGR just reported that Regehr wants to wait as long as he can to make a decision to weigh his options to see if there are other teams in the mix. He said if nothing better comes along then he would approve the trade to Buffalo.

Paul Hamilton on WGR just reported that Regehr wants to wait as long as he can to make a decision to weigh his options to see if there are other teams in the mix. He said if nothing better comes along then he would approve the trade to Buffalo.

We're the fat girl at the end of the bar around closing time.

So does this mean that Regehr is still under the impression we aren't "hockey heaven" but "hockey purgatory"?

So does this mean that Regehr is still under the impression we aren't "hockey heaven" but "hockey purgatory"?

In my opinion it means he has 1 dream team that he would want to play for other than Calgary. If they come along that would throw a wrench in things, other wise he will become a Sabre. Sounds like there might actually be a deadline before the draft but that could be my reading into things the wrong way.

Here are my questions for this morning:

Where in the world is Regehr? Calgary or his birthplace of Brazil. That may determine when we hear anything because who knows with the time lag when he will wake up.

What is going the other way? I just dont see us trading are extremely limited center depth for a defender and so i dont think Luke Adam is involved. I bet someone out of MAG, Weber, Sekera, Butler, Pysyk is involved or maybe even Mcnabb. I don't think our 1st rounder is in the mix unless there are more players than we know about involved.

Did Tpegs actually call Regehr saying this is where you want to play? If thats the case than wow our new owner is awesome to the extreme.

Is there a deadline for this deal? I think its probably around 3oclock today but we shall see.

Finally, if we get Regehr, are we done on defense and what our are offensive improvement plans? My thought is that if Regehr comes we are done on defense for now, offense could be part of the deal but i dont want any of calgary's forwards really except iginla, so guess we are looking at july 1 to change some things up front.

It hasn't been even been 24 hours. ...

Lots of things for a player to consider....will the wife go? will the house sell? can I find the kids a school? what are the taxes? do I lose money selling the house and buying a new one?

what do other players say?

A no-trade means he doesn't have to make a snap decision. These guys have lives outside hockey too.

I remember Rivet citing some of the same things you mention above as real concerns when he heard he was traded to Buffalo. Of course he didnt have a NMC so he had no choice, but I recall him saying he was set at ease about the area / schools / housing after talking to some players around the league.

Some (ex) Sabres he might be calling that he's played with:

2001-2002 Montador, Rob Niedermeyer, Lydman

2002-2003 Montador, Niedermeyer, Lydman and Drury

2005-2006 Leopold, Warrener

I'm conveniently leaving out Kotalik.

Hopefully Darcy does too if the deal is struck.

I hope he does come here, but at a reasonable cost, I'm not against letting go of ADAM, but giving up ENNIS (some rumors) would be a huge mistake in my opinion.

Archived