Robyn Regehr, Kotalik and 2nd round pick (2012) to Sabres

SpikeGelato

I always get a good laugh out of your mancrush on Weber. He's a solid young defenseman, but I can't see him as a make or break player for this team. He'll be a good role player but I don't see him ever moving above the bottom 3 slots on the blue line.

It shows how devoid of toughness the Sabres' blueline (heck, lineup) has been for some time. We get one decent player who likes to hit and he's a big deal.

I think you were talking to KTN, but I like Weber too, and it pretty much solely stems from this:

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: I could watch that a hundred times.

Yeah, I was. We all know your mancrush has always been Connolly. :D

It shows how devoid of toughness the Sabres' blueline (heck, lineup) has been for some time. We get one decent player who likes to hit and he's a big deal.

Well, he is a big deal.. for that reason. If we're so devoid of toughness (which we are) then what good is bringing in a slightly more physical vet in Regehr when we're giving up our only current physical defenseman? You can't solve the problem unless you add MORE physical players, not just trade them for one another.

I think you were talking to KTN, but I like Weber too, and it pretty much solely stems from this:

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: I could watch that a hundred times.

I have a man crush on weber so yea prob talking to me. I think hes what are defense has lacked for a long time. Kids got heart, it would in my humble opinion not benefit this team to trade him.

This will be a good deal for the Sabres if it goes through. I bet the price is low - this is a salary dump for Calgary so they have very little leverage on the market. And with Rivet gone (and probably Montador, too), the Sabre D-corps is in desperate need of a veteran presence. There's a tremendous amount of talent on the Buffalo blue-line, but it's still a pretty green group overall. Regehr is a hard hitter, too - always welcome in my book. He's like Rivet when Rivet was good.

I hope it's not for Mike Weber, though...

Beach or City?

Lake or City Bar? Ah the flashbacks.

EDIT: Hedgehog beat me to it. BTW, You shook me all night long by AC/DC just came on. Free shots at the bar?

City--the one on Main, not Elmwood.

Eklund

Rumor: Calgary wants Weber out of Buffalo. Robyn Regehr apparently not thrilled about this...may not waive

No sh*t, Ek; that's why he's been thinking it over for a day. Eklund really is an idiot. And before we get the "no one wants to come to Buffalo" drones, let's remember that Regehr has lived in Western Canada since he was 7. If he were from Hamilton, he might be a Sabre by now.

And before we get the "no one wants to come to Buffalo" drones, let's remember that Regehr has lived in Western Canada since he was 7. If he were from Hamilton, he might be a Sabre by now.

If he waives is it a +1 for hockey heaven? Or doesn't is it a -1?

This is a true test of what they are putting together. What is Regehr looking at to make his decision? Hopefully the possible future and not the past. I don't remember any trade Regier has made with a guy with a NMC.

This is a true test of what they are putting together. What is Regehr looking at to make his decision? Hopefully the possible future and not the past. I don't remember any trade Regier has made with a guy with a NMC.

I was thinking the same thing. I really hope he waives and comes here. I'm not sure how big of a black eye it would be to the sabres, but i can't imagine it'd do anything good for the attempted culture change around the team.

Putting so much emphasis on the idea that Buffalo is "Hockey Heaven" only to have the first player we attempt to bring in scoff in our faces would be a real kick in the pants.

None that I can think off that were made public. It's tough to gauge the +/- with the trades that philly just made but I think it would be a +1 to convince a guy to waive his NMC and a wash if he doesn't.

I feel like players often refuse to waive their NTC/NMC so this would be a deal that fell apart based on the player like so many before.

I was thinking the same thing. I really hope he waives and comes here. I'm not sure how big of a black eye it would be to the sabres, but i can't imagine it'd do anything good for the attempted culture change around the team.

Putting so much emphasis on the idea that Buffalo is "Hockey Heaven" only to have the first player we attempt to bring in scoff in our faces would be a real kick in the pants.

They are trying to make it Hockey Heaven, part of which is being a team that always gets players to want to come there (see Detroit), but they are not there yet. Changing the culture, the facilities, etc., helps to change that tide, but getting that last part may take some early misses. You keep trying and then the ones who do come show the next generation that it was worth it. Slowly, but surely, you get a higher and higher hit rate. You can't just say "we're different and now the best" and expect everyone to instantly come. You change perceptions in many ways, but likely over time.

They are trying to make it Hockey Heaven, part of which is being a team that always gets players to want to come there (see Detroit), but they are not there yet. Changing the culture, the facilities, etc., helps to change that tide, but getting that last part may take some early misses. You keep trying and then the ones who do come show the next generation that it was worth it. Slowly, but surely, you get a higher and higher hit rate. You can't just say "we're different and now the best" and expect everyone to instantly come. You change perceptions in many ways, but likely over time.

Exactly the way it will work.....

Does this make sense? In 10 days we can buy a D-man without giving up any assets.

1) We don't know what the Sabres offered; it might not be much.

2) They may feel that Regehr doesn't have the kind of inflated price and/or long-term contract (we have lots of young up-and-coming Dmen) that UFA's usually get.

Also, Dreger reporting that it may be a bigger deal involving a third team.

Paul Hamsammich on WGR says that Calgary also wants the Sabres to take either Stajan or Kotalik for cap reasons.

Did he say what he thought they'd be giving up for a Regehr & Stajan package? Maybe just a pick (not a 1st)?

Archived