Robyn Regehr, Kotalik and 2nd round pick (2012) to Sabres

SpikeGelato

It wouldn't be an issue if teams didn't hand them out like they were candy on Halloween.

Calgary has 11 NTCs in some capacity on their roster, it's ridiculous.

I believe John Ferguson Jr. gave every single player on the Toronto Maple Leafs roster a NTC. When Burke got there, he couldn't trade anyone. They gave guys like Darcy Tucker and Tie Domi No Trade Clauses. At some level, blame needs to be placed on the GMs for creating this trend. I'd say the bulk of the blame falls on JFJ because he gave it to everyone and by that point it became an expectation that players would get one even mediocre and terrible players.

This is why NMCs and NTCs shouldn't be allowed in the next CBA. I know Regehr earned his NMC and blah blah blah, and I don't really care if he says yes or no either way... but it should NEVER, EVER, EVER be a players decision to begin with. If management wants to trade you, you're traded.

at the very least put some stipulations on it so that everyone who scores 30 goals once in their career isn't demanding a NTC like they're the king ######. Or make it something like you can only have a NTC/NMC if your cap hit is less than $3 mil.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. As it stands, he earned it.

This is why NMCs and NTCs shouldn't be allowed in the next CBA. I know Regehr earned his NMC and blah blah blah, and I don't really care if he says yes or no either way... but it should NEVER, EVER, EVER be a players decision to begin with. If management wants to trade you, you're traded.

at the very least put some stipulations on it so that everyone who scores 30 goals once in their career isn't demanding a NTC like they're the king ######. Or make it something like you can only have a NTC/NMC if your cap hit is less than $3 mil.

I choose to live in upstate NY. I, and my family, have foregone a LOT in wages by doing so. Why shouldn't a hockey player have that same option to forego some wages and know that he can stay where he's at (if he can get his GM to agree to the deal)?

I definitely hope that he waives the NMC, but the rules in place allow it (and should IMHO) and Calgary agreed to it, so it's his call.

And out of curiosity, what do you propose the league give the players in the next CBA to get them to give up NMC's & NTC's?

Why? If it's bargained for, it's bargained for. Who's to say that Regehr didn't agree to take $500K or $1M less per year in exchange for the assurance that he and his family would remain in Calgary?

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that Regehr is gone from Calgary one way or the other. After receiving these offers I am sure he will find another place he likes better than Buffalo and then why would he stay? It's obvious he's not a part of the Flame's future. As a matter of self-respect, I would anticipate him taking one of the offers (that the Flames approve of) that's on the table now.

Why? If it's bargained for, it's bargained for. Who's to say that Regehr didn't agree to take $500K or $1M less per year in exchange for the assurance that he and his family would remain in Calgary?

Exactly. Free Agents have the right to bargain for the best location, terms, money and conditions.

(FWIW Darcy Regier doesn't hand them out......there are some advantages to having a longly tenured GM).

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that Regehr is gone from Calgary one way or the other. After receiving these offers I am sure he will find another place he likes better than Buffalo and then why would he stay? It's obvious he's not a part of the Flame's future. As a matter of self-respect, I would anticipate him taking one of the offers (that the Flames approve of) that's on the table now.

That's how I view it as well, he's on his way out, just not sure he wants to go to Buffalo. Perhaps waiting to see if another team will step in and beat Buffalo's offer to Calgary.

Sorry if this has been asked, but have we heard what other teams are possibly in the mix for Regehr?

Reports are that Calgary is closing in a on deal for Ryan Smyth, which is why they need to clear salary. I wonder if this means anything about our deal ...

Thinking the same thing, though could be an extra shove out the door.

non-guaranteed contracts like the NFL?

So, the carrot you would offer to the players to get them to give up the right to give up a bit of salary for the peace of mind of knowing you won't get moved is to no longer guarantee the currently guaranteed deals?

:huh:

So, the carrot you would offer to the players to get them to give up the right to give up a bit of salary for the peace of mind of knowing you won't get moved is to no longer guarantee the currently guaranteed deals?

:huh:

Your sarcasm meter is broken.:angry:

Your sarcasm meter is broken.:angry:

:doh:

Sorry, only got about 3 hours sleep last night. Which is why I'm spending more time here today than I should. (Tis better to have to work on clients projects over the weekend than to have to re-do them over the weekend. ;) )

If he does not want to come to Buffalo than we don't want him. If he wants to come and win a cup, than bring him on.

Someone needs to tell Regehr about Amherst and Williamsville and things so he understands that there is more to the buffalo area than buffalo. As this day progresses, more and more, I am hoping that Regehr waives and comes to the Sabres. Hes got the mean streak that tyler myers needs to learn from.

:doh:

Sorry, only got about 3 hours sleep last night. Which is why I'm spending more time here today than I should. (Tis better to have to work on clients projects over the weekend than to have to re-do them over the weekend. ;) )

With what you have been dealing with on here today I'm not surprised it got past you. I suggest you take up drinking at work!

Archived