Robyn Regehr, Kotalik and 2nd round pick (2012) to Sabres

SpikeGelato

If he does not want to come to Buffalo than we don't want him. If he wants to come and win a cup, than bring him on.

Not sure that anyone wants to come to Buffalo (at least not until we've built a reputation up like Detroit did.) Think about what their impressions are based on. Usually, they are forced to and then are pleasantly surprised. That's why talking to former players is so important; get him to take a chance. He does have the option to leave in two years (unlike Carter in Columbus, who's stuck for 11 years.)

Not sure that anyone wants to come to Buffalo (at least not until we've built a reputation up like Detroit did.) Think about what their impressions are based on. Usually, they are forced to and then are pleasantly surprised. That's why talking to former players is so important; get him to take a chance. He does have the option to leave in two years (unlike Carter in Columbus, who's stuck for 11 years.)

Thats what I am hoping. I mean we have Allentown and Orchard Park and Williamsville and lockport is even nice and thats all within 30minutes and I am sure I forgot stuff. PPL here don't riot and we aren't d-bags to the players, our owner wants to win a cup. The Lockeroom just got redone. We have some nice museums (although they need to build a new aquarium on the waterfront) We have some great private schools. There are some good things for hockey players to consider I just hope Regehr is open to coming here and helping us win a cup

He could teach some young guys like Myers and Weber and hes gotta see that Calgary is in the process of a major crash in terms of team potential... I mean i would be on the first plane out of town. It all depends on is winning a cup a major drive for him or does his family matter more. Either way you can't fault the guy.

It wouldn't be an issue if teams didn't hand them out like they were candy on Halloween.

Calgary has 11 NTCs in some capacity on their roster, it's ridiculous. If anything, they're getting what they deserve being forced to wait this out and have to work to deal a guy. They made a commitment, they should have to stand by it.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. As it stands, he earned it.

I choose to live in upstate NY. I, and my family, have foregone a LOT in wages by doing so. Why shouldn't a hockey player have that same option to forego some wages and know that he can stay where he's at (if he can get his GM to agree to the deal)?

I definitely hope that he waives the NMC, but the rules in place allow it (and should IMHO) and Calgary agreed to it, so it's his call.

And out of curiosity, what do you propose the league give the players in the next CBA to get them to give up NMC's & NTC's?

Why? If it's bargained for, it's bargained for. Who's to say that Regehr didn't agree to take $500K or $1M less per year in exchange for the assurance that he and his family would remain in Calgary?

Exactly. Free Agents have the right to bargain for the best location, terms, money and conditions.

(FWIW Darcy Regier doesn't hand them out......there are some advantages to having a longly tenured GM).

Since apparently I have to say it again, I will... I know that Regehr "earned" or "negotiated" for his NMC. I don't care. That doesn't factor into my opinion at all. In general, I don't like the idea of NMC's or NTC's. Regehr or anybody else. I understand those who negotiated and got NTCs and NMCs deserve to keep them, so you can stop with all the "don't hate the player hate the game" stuff, because YES, that's exactly what I'm doing.

So now that that's out of the way, I think NMCs and NTCs undermine the sport. It gives the player more power than the manager. What next, a "no buyout clause?" Or is there already one of those? Yes, I know it's unlikely the PA would ever give up those clauses in negotiations, but they should never have been given them to begin with. Yeah it's the person's "job" and there are all sorts of legalities around it, but truth is hockey a GAME and they're getting paid millions to play it. If they are not playing well, or a manager can trade them to improve HIS team (which he paid probably 50x said player's salary to own), there should be nothing standing in the way of him doing that.

smells as bad.

lol, i thought patty should have shown more class than going after briere's wife but hey ppl lose their minds sometimes. Also Regehr should be talking to tpegs wife, shes a billionaire and hasnt been complaining about buffalo. Heck they could live in the fingerlakes and Regehr could just keep a place in buffalo, its so cheap to live up here anyways.

We can solve this right now. Get Darcy on the phone. Hello Robyn, we appreciate the upheaval this move would bring to your family. Obviously we want you and you know we are setting out to win multiple cups. we're offering to add two more years at 5 per to your deal. We do have other matters that we will be attending to and want to turn our focus onto them now.

Factor that in with the difference in the tax rate and welcome aboard.

Wait a minute. On second thought just offer the extension and dont say nothing about the tax rate. Chances are it's actually higher here than Calgary lol.

We can solve this right now. Get Darcy on the phone. Hello Robyn, we appreciate the upheaval this move would bring to your family. Obviously we want you and you know we are setting out to win multiple cups. we're offering to add two more years at 5 per to your deal. We do have other matters that we will be attending to and want to turn our focus onto them now.

Factor that in with the difference in the tax rate and welcome aboard.

Wait a minute. On second thought just offer the extension and dont say nothing about the tax rate. Chances are it's actually higher here than Calgary lol.

I don't think you can change an existing contract or negotiate an extension until the last year of a deal. Plus the guy is 31 now. Who's to say he won't start to decline in a few years.

That name sounds made up.

Hes from RDS. Not made up, though yes it sure sounds like it.

Seeing as how the 5+ people who responded to my post started with "BUT HE EARNED HIS CLAUSE IN NEGOTIATING!! HE GAVE UP $ FOR NMC!!" yes, it did have to be said again.

Maybe it's your communication skills. Just sayin.

Archived