All About July 1 wishes

LGR4GM

Amen to that. That is the attitude we should be using to evaluate trades.

Sharp has developed into a solid 60-70 point player with good playoff production. If you think Ennis won't reach those totals than you make the move.

I suspect that Ennis will get very close to Sharp's point totals for a good chunk of his career, and he's younger so we'd have that production longer. So I think an Ennis for Sharp trade would only be a good idea for a Cup run NOW, not two or three years from now. And by the time two years from now gets here I think Ennis will be pretty close to equal with Sharp. The only thing Sharp brings that Ennis doesn't is the ability to play center. Well.... that and about 35lbs. :thumbsup:

and maybe a few inches

The question we should ask ourselves is are we willing to trade ennis +, for Sharp? I would guess Ennis at LW would be the exact type of player chicago would love to have considering their cap and his potential upside...

Which brings me back to my original question of can he be effective playing center full time. If he can, I'd make the deal of Ennis plus whatever is reasonable. If they don't feel like he can then I wouldn't make the deal.

So, what's the rule? 24 hours after last game before the action can start?

I heard something like that for the buyout period, but is that also the limit for trades involving roster players?

My understanding is the day after the Stanley Cup is awarded, i.e. the minute the clock struck midnight. WTF Darcy? What is taking you so freaking long? :rolleyes:

EDIT: Carp, I scoured the net and can't find a single definitive source for a set time that trades start. However, once forum made the case that trades can and do happen in the playoffs.

Playoff trade example

As far as the NHL Buyout period, per Bob McKenzie it's 48 hrs after Cup: Link

EDIT: Carp, I scoured the net and can't find a single definitive source for a set time that trades start. However, once forum made the case that trades can and do happen in the playoffs.

Playoff trade example

But that's a deal involving minor-league and junior players, which I knew you could do. Clearly, you can all trade the rights for pending free agents as Philly did, too. However, you never see players on NHL rosters with contracts for next year traded during the playoffs.

But that's a deal involving minor-league and junior players, which I knew you could do. Clearly, you can all trade the rights for pending free agents as Philly did, too. However, you never see players on NHL rosters with contracts for next year traded during the playoffs.

Boucher for Handzus in '02 wasn't a minor/junior trade. Wasn't Handzus under contract?

Tyler Ennis is a nice little player but if the player coming back is better, more established and an actual real sized human being, I'm all for it.

:lol:

49 Points in a rookie year that saw him have hecht, boyes, and connolly as his center... not sure his size really made much of a difference. If you can somehow package ennis into a top center, i'm talking a stamkos, malkin, kesler type center not a Pavelski, Sharp type player than I am interested as a fan but personally I think that chance is limited and that Ennis would help this team win a cup in 3 years if he continues to develop (he needs to work out with Gerbe and add about 15-20 lbs of muscle)

Amen to that. That is the attitude we should be using to evaluate trades.

Sharp has developed into a solid 60-70 point player with good playoff production. If you think Ennis won't reach those totals than you make the move.

I suspect that Ennis will get very close to Sharp's point totals for a good chunk of his career, and he's younger so we'd have that production longer. So I think an Ennis for Sharp trade would only be a good idea for a Cup run NOW, not two or three years from now. And by the time two years from now gets here I think Ennis will be pretty close to equal with Sharp. The only thing Sharp brings that Ennis doesn't is the ability to play center. Well.... that and about 35lbs. :thumbsup:

And not to mention that if you were to make a deal like that, you damn well better give Sharp a new contract and not lose him after one year.

49 Points in a rookie year that saw him have hecht, boyes, and connolly as his center... not sure his size really made much of a difference. If you can somehow package ennis into a top center, i'm talking a stamkos, malkin, kesler type center not a Pavelski, Sharp type player than I am interested as a fan but personally I think that chance is limited and that Ennis would help this team win a cup in 3 years if he continues to develop (he needs to work out with Gerbe and add about 15-20 lbs of muscle)

I just thought it was funny. I like Ennis.

Me too but the Stamkos, Malkin talk is a little much. I think Ennis' peak potential may be Danny Briere like but he's got a lot of learning to do before that.

Im not saying he will reach that caliber, I am saying if I am trading him and picks for someone than I dont want trade for the player Ennis will become I want to trade for something better. Ennis getting 60-70pts a year in his prime is more than realistic so why trade him for someone that is either in or moving past their prime unless that someone is a guy who has the 90-100pt potential. Trade up, not even.

Ennis isn't going anywhere. The only people who will be up for trades are Hecht, Pommer, Sekera, Butler, boyes, Morrison and maybe a few guys from the ahl. Vanek, Roy, Ennis, Gerbe, Goose, Kaleta, Myers, Leo, weber, and whoever else are all safe. Maybe I am wrong, but I would rather see guys like ennis, gerbe, roy and vanek stay.

Ennis isn't going anywhere. The only people who will be up for trades are Hecht, Pommer, Sekera, Butler, boyes, Morrison and maybe a few guys from the ahl. Vanek, Roy, Ennis, Gerbe, Goose, Kaleta, Myers, Leo, weber, and whoever else are all safe. Maybe I am wrong, but I would rather see guys like ennis, gerbe, roy and vanek stay.

Just so you understand, if all you are willing to give up is Hecht, Pommer, Sekera, Butler, boyes, Morrison and maybe a few guys from the ahl, then all you are going to recieve in return is the equivalent of Hecht, Pommer, Sekera, Butler, boyes, Morrison and maybe a few guys from the ahl.

how about this, we trade back to 21-25ish in the draft and get a second round pick, we take the 1,2 pick and sekera or other defensive prospect and trade for jordan staal. Then we trade Pomminstein to team w/e to reacquire a first round pick and yes hes worth a 1st round pick and if not we can throw in a conditional pick saying something like if he doesnt get 60pts you get our 2nd round pick next year.

And rip apart.... now.

Let's get real. As much as I'd like to see Pomminstein traded, I doubt very much it's going to happen. He's making 5.3 for the next 3 years and he definitely isn't worth it. Why would another team take on an oversized contract like that? Same goes for Vanek, 3 years at 7.1

Other teams will be looking at Myers, Goose, Gerbe, Roy, Ennis, Granniani, and Weber plus McNabb in the minors.

Now are you willing to deal?

how about this, we trade back to 21-25ish in the draft and get a second round pick, we take the 1,2 pick and sekera or other defensive prospect and trade for jordan staal.

What if Pitt would rather have the 16 than a mid-20's pick and a second? Many (including the Sabres, but also many others) are saying that there's a dropoff after 17 or 18. If teams are willing to give you the first trade, then it suggests that the 16th pick is as valuable as the two that they are giving you.

Let's get real. As much as I'd like to see Pomminstein traded, I doubt very much it's going to happen. He's making 5.3 for the next 3 years and he definitely isn't worth it. Why would another team take on an oversized contract like that? Same goes for Vanek, 3 years at 7.1

Other teams will be looking at Myers, Goose, Gerbe, Roy, Ennis, Granniani, and Weber plus McNabb in the minors.

Now are you willing to deal?

I'd be willing to see any of the above moved save for Myers. I wouldn't mind seeing Goose in particular moved. If we have this plethera (sp?) of D in the pipeline then why would we be afraid to move a MAG, Weber, McNabb, Butler or Sekera? As long as it lands us a number 1 center, any D outside of Myers can go. Not saying I don't like the above mentioned players, just stating that you have to give good young talent with entry level contract to get that higher end talent. Trade from a position of strength.

Minnesota is open to trading Brent Burns according to twitter (can't remember who tweeted it, sry, tsn i think) -- i think he would be a solid addition on D for relatively cheap (in comparison to what it would take for the #1 center), but IIRC he's had concussion problems and we are all too familiar with that. but when he's healthy he has shown top pair potential.

Archived