Game Discussion Thread: Sabres at Flyers

nfreeman

1. Peter L is in a pickle now. I can't imagine which one of his goalies will rise above the pressure of a soft goal allowed. He took a real chance in pulling Boucher yesterday. You can't play Bob. Boucher is now looking over his shoulder and Leighton is the scapegoat from last year's SCF and the subject of fan derrision. Quite the pickle, Peter Piper.

I think it's still going to be Boucher. Bobrovsky has no confidence and I don't see Leighton as the answer. Boucher really has been the best of the 3 goalies to play in this series. That oughta tell you something right there.

4. Can someone explain to me two penalties taken last night? What did Richards do to get a matching penalty with Butler? It's listed as slashing. I thought that was a completely bogus call. And what did Leopold due to get a hooking call at the end of the 3rd?

I missed the Richards one, but Leopold hooked Giroux (I think) in the slot. That was a legit penalty.

7. This is going to sound a little wierd and it's easier to type since they won the game. It was almost a relief that Danny scored that tying goal. I don't think I could stand a whole 20 minutes of Alamo mode in the third. Once Philly tied it, they backed off and played a safer game. As a result, Buffalo actually had some zone time in a 3rd period last night. Buffalo took their foot off the Philly throat and Philly returned the favor.

I actually thought the same thing and thought it was a bit of a blessing in disguise. It helped them play a better, non-Alamo style 3rd period...partially due to how Philly wasn't in complete attack mode, but I certainly hope that's not what it takes to play a complete period in a tight game.

9. I'm looking forward to hearing Doc call the game Sunday. I hope it's him. He calls every goal with the same enthusiasm.

If it's NBC, it should be. I'll bet he's in Washington today for the Caps-Rangers, but that shouldn't stop him from taking an evening flight to Buffalo. I love Doc - best play-by-play man out there.

11. Watched the Nas-Ana game until it went to OT. How do you lose that game at home after that goal Bobby Ryan score? I'm shocked to see Nashville won in OT. That Weber shot to tie it with 38 second left was perfectly executed.

Bad job by Anaheim. Bobby Ryan has the storybook, highlight-reel goal and they blow it...twice. Nashville's going to close that out in Game 6.

Not sure if anyone talked about this but did they show the warm up when Miller was hugging his stick and the fans were all yelling at him through the glass? And then some fat guy was waving his arms at the glass and Myers shot a puck at him and the glass shattered? He jumped out of the way so fast, it was priceless.

If you can find it, you'll get a good laugh.

Yeah I saw them both, the Myers shattering the glass is awesome, the guy looked like he was going to crap himself........ :beer:

As for replacing Pomminstein in the lineup tomorrow. I DO NOT WANT Joken Hecht in the lineup if he's been out all this time due to concussion symptoms. Y'all remember how long it was before Pomminstein started playing decent after his ding on the noggin? It was a good couple of months before he started getting back to normal and he was fine symptom-wise. No way we need someone in the lineup who still has cobwebs that need clearing.

If Roy is ready, put him on the 4th line and PP. If not, call up Mancari. He'll do fine with Goose and Gerbe. I don't want a guy in the lineup that isn't going to have 100% of his head.

As for replacing Pomminstein in the lineup tomorrow. I DO NOT WANT Joken Hecht in the lineup if he's been out all this time due to concussion symptoms. Y'all remember how long it was before Pomminstein started playing decent after his ding on the noggin? It was a good couple of months before he started getting back to normal and he was fine symptom-wise. No way we need someone in the lineup who still has cobwebs that need clearing.

If Roy is ready, put him on the 4th line and PP. If not, call up Mancari. He'll do fine with Goose and Gerbe. I don't want a guy in the lineup that isn't going to have 100% of his head.

Lol, I was going to make a getting head joke......... :beer:

4. Can someone explain to me two penalties taken last night? What did Richards do to get a matching penalty with Butler? It's listed as slashing. I thought that was a completely bogus call. And what did Leopold due to get a hooking call at the end of the 3rd?

He slashed Miller

Not sure if anyone talked about this but did they show the warm up when Miller was hugging his stick and the fans were all yelling at him through the glass? And then some fat guy was waving his arms at the glass and Myers shot a puck at him and the glass shattered? He jumped out of the way so fast, it was priceless.

If you can find it, you'll get a good laugh.

TSN - Watch game highlights

Props to NHL Network On the Fly for pointing out the glove pass just before one of Philly's goals. I hadn't heard much about it... we were flipping at my house.

As a referee, I saw it. Bad miss. Of course it leads to a goal.

Oh, this stuff is just hilarious. I didn't register and I'm not posting on the Flyers board, but I went there this morning just to read the comments. Get a load of this paragraph:

"Bottom Line: We've been gypped out of this series. We were gypped out of a win in game 1 by an offense that can't execute, despite great goaltending; We were gypped out of a solid win in game 2 by an anemic defense and failed PP, despite good offense; We were gypped in game 4 by the outrageous officiating, despite great goaltending; We were gypped in this game 5 by Boucher's 2 goals. I don't mean gypped as perpetrated by someone. I mean that not once has Buffalo outplayed us for an entire game, and they've still managed to sneak away with 3 wins."

Classic denial. :lol:

Oh, this stuff is just hilarious. I didn't register and I'm not posting on the Flyers board, but I went there this morning just to read the comments. Get a load of this paragraph:

"Bottom Line: We've been gypped out of this series. We were gypped out of a win in game 1 by an offense that can't execute, despite great goaltending; We were gypped out of a solid win in game 2 by an anemic defense and failed PP, despite good offense; We were gypped in game 4 by the outrageous officiating, despite great goaltending; We were gypped in this game 5 by Boucher's 2 goals. I don't mean gypped as perpetrated by someone. I mean that not once has Buffalo outplayed us for an entire game, and they've still managed to sneak away with 3 wins."

It is denail. But the, "not once has Buffalo outplayed us for an entire game, and they've still managed to sneak away with 3 wins" part is def true IMO. Doesn't make the wins tainted in any way.

Flyers GDT

I love this. Thread starts at 7:30pm. Second post comes almost two hours later. Then 10 pages of crying about losing.

PTR

Thanks for the laughs. It's basically: WAH, the refs. WAH, we're better than the AHL Sabres. WAH, we need a goalie. WAH WAH WAH.

I'm just watching the game again and just noticed a great little exchange that happened at 13:59 in the 3rd. The play is whistled dead on a high stick when Miller tries to clear the puck. Leino is skating towards the net and Miller watches him the entire way to make sure that he doesn't put the puck in the net (even though the whistle already blew. So Leino circles behind the net and tries to sneak it in on the other side. At the last second, Miller sees him and stops the puck. He gets pissed and tries to hit him with it but misses and hits Hartnell instead, who then gets pissed as well. Pretty funny.

It is denail. But the, "not once has Buffalo outplayed us for an entire game, and they've still managed to sneak away with 3 wins" part is def true IMO. Doesn't make the wins tainted in any way.

That goes both ways -- Philly hasn't outplayed us for a full game either. Each and every game has been back and forth.

I'm just watching the game again and just noticed a great little exchange that happened at 13:59 in the 3rd. The play is whistled dead on a high stick when Miller tries to clear the puck. Leino is skating towards the net and Miller watches him the entire way to make sure that he doesn't put the puck in the net (even though the whistle already blew. So Leino circles behind the net and tries to sneak it in on the other side. At the last second, Miller sees him and stops the puck. He gets pissed and tries to hit him with it but misses and hits Hartnell instead, who then gets pissed as well. Pretty funny.

I noticed it when it happened. Loved it. Love the way Miller isn't taking any crap from the jacknuts!

They aren't far off though when saying they have outplayed the Sabres for the most part. Except in one crucial area: goalie. Maybe you do get what you pay for after all?

They aren't far off though when saying they have outplayed the Sabres for the most part. Except in one crucial area: goalie. Maybe you do get what you pay for after all?

The way I see it, Philly outplayed us most of Game 1. We won. Buffalo outplayed Philly most of Game 2. They won. Philly outplayed Buffalo in Game 3. They won. Game 4 was basically an even affair, maybe a SLIGHT edge to Philly's offense (but doesn't our goaltending balance that out?). And Game 5 I felt that Buffalo controlled the first period (obv), Philly dominated the second and most of the third. Buffalo controlled overtime and got the win.

it's not really a case of Philly being this big bad team that's 100x better than the Sabres and dominated start to finish every game. they are both talented teams. they both have taken over for stretches of the game. right now Buffalo is getting the job done... and THATS the bottom line, none of this "we got gypped" bs.

Agreed. I can't sit here and say the Sabres are the better team overall. But like a great pitcher in baseball, great goaltending can carry a lesser team. Yet I still hear callers on 'GR saying Miller "sucked" for letting in 3 goals. As I said in another post, all some people get is did the puck go in or not. Comprehending anything beyond that is like trying to comprehend 10-dimensional space.

PTR

The ridiculous part is just that, though. Replace "Buffalo" with "Philadelphia" and "3" with "2" and it's just as true, and equally silly.

I think the claim that Philly has outplayed Buffalo for most of this series is garbage. Overall the teams have been almost dead even.

For example, in each of the past two games, neither team "outplayed" the other overall. In both games Buffalo was the better team in the first period and took the lead. In the 2nd and 3rd periods, Philly had more chances and offensive zone possession, mainly because the Sabres went into more of a defensive posture. If the games had been tied for much of the 2nd and 3rd periods, the Sabres would have been more aggressive as they were in the first period. In any game we tend to remember what happened last more than what happened first, but it can distort the overall comparison of the two teams.

Agreed. I can't sit here and say the Sabres are the better team overall. But like a great pitcher in baseball, great goaltending can carry a lesser team. Yet I still hear callers on 'GR saying Miller "sucked" for letting in 3 goals. As I said in another post, all some people get is did the puck go in or not. Comprehending anything beyond that is like trying to comprehend 10-dimensional space.

PTR

If the Sabres win the series, they are the better team. That's sports. The roster of the Flyers may have more "acknowledged" talent from top to bottom, particularly at forward, but that's irrelevant. The Sabres are considerably better between the pipes, and the rest of the talent margin isn't as great as some would like to think. I dare say that within two years, the Sabres defensive corps (led by Myers, Butler, Weber, Gragnani) will be considered one of the best and deepest in the league.

It irks me that some act as though having the better goalie falls outside the discussion of who has a better team. Championships aren't won by comparing rosters on paper.

Bad choice of words. :rolleyes:

I'll say, I know I'm not the only one to think it, so I'll say it. That play was potentially one way to get out from under the Pominville contract.

How? I suppose if it's career-ending he could retire or they could put him on LTIR, but otherwise I think they're still stuck with it. And any chance of trading him is probably gone.

Archived