Game Discussion Thread: Sabres at Flyers

nfreeman

Just got back from my friend's house, and holy sh!t, what a game. It was already 2-0 by the time I got there, and 3-0 shortly thereafter but I had a nervous feeling there was way too much time left on the clock to get excited, and the second period sure did turn this one into a nailbiter. I freakin' love Ennis. Seems like Butler had a bit of a tough night, but the D might have gotten a little off having to play 1-2 men down for a bit in the first. Glad Butters and Weber are okay (btw, what happened to Leopold? his lip was nasty when he came back), hope to God Pommers just has a cut and not a sliced tendon or something. Awesome win, now the boys are coming home and Philly is on the run!!

Just got back from my friend's house, and holy sh!t, what a game. It was already 2-0 by the time I got there, and 3-0 shortly thereafter but I had a nervous feeling there was way too much time left on the clock to get excited, and the second period sure did turn this one into a nailbiter. I freakin' love Ennis. Seems like Butler had a bit of a tough night, but the D might have gotten a little off having to play 1-2 men down for a bit in the first. Glad Butters and Weber are okay (btw, what happened to Leopold? his lip was nasty when he came back), hope to God Pommers just has a cut and not a sliced tendon or something. Awesome win, now the boys are coming home and Philly is on the run!!

He took a stick to the face, that wasn't called.

I hope Pominville's injury isn't long term. Scary how the most innocent play could be catastrophic.

Ennis is adding to a really nice rookie season.

This has to the year of the meaningless lead. 3-0 lead given away tonight. How many 2+ goal leads have the Sabres given up and come back from this year?

"This is definitely a great place to play," Ennis said. "Any time you can silence the crowd like that, it's an awesome feeling."

I love that kid.

Interesting that his list of leaders was Gaustad, Niedermeyer, Connolly, Grier, and Miller.

ouch! BS refs... how does a guy get a stick to the face that not only results in a cut, but results in missing a good chunk of the game while he gets stitched up, and no call??

I could be wrong, but I don't think they call high sticking on the follow through of a slap shot. Someone correct me if that is false, but I'm pretty sure it's the case

EDIT: Found it -

Rule 60-High sticking:

60.1 However, A player or goalkeeper is permitted accidental contact of an opponent if the act is committed as a normal windup or follow through of a shooting motion.

I hope Pominville's injury isn't long term. Scary how the most innocent play could be catastrophic.

This has to the year of the meaningless lead. 3-0 lead given away tonight. How many 2+ goal leads have the Sabres given up and come back from this year?

Couldn't tell you (too many), but on the Versus broadcast they said the last time the Sabres blew a 3 goal lead (in the playoffs?) was April 6th, 1989. I was really hoping we wouldn't pull a NYR tonight.

Un ###### believable.

Since the programming switched from "Sabres @ Flyers" to "Predators @ Ducks"....they've now blocked out Versus so I could switch to the Predators/Ducks game on the local Fox Sports channel.

No TV overtime for me.

ARE YOU SHITTING ME.

Did you get it back?

We need a little Ennis.

Nice!

Close this bitch out on Easter Sunday.

A little nasty, but also appealing.

I think I want a Niedermayer sweater. For a guy I thought was fairly worthless in the regular season, he has been great in this series.

He's played very well, but investing in a Neidermayer jersey is a very bold move.

So if your Peter L, whom do you start in Buffalo?

Excellent question.

He has picked up his game, like Ennis. Now it's only a matter of time.

Good call. I liked Boyes' game tonight (and of course Ennis' as well).

It didn't look good,

Be nice to see Roy back in the lineup right about now,

I'm not a Roy fan, but I thought this as well.

at least Hecht may be back to fill in for Pominville

Getting Hecht back would be huge.

Didn't Goose get stepped on though?

No -- more of an accidental drive-by, IIRC.

Oh, God, is this gonna turn into ANOTHER thread about peroneal tendons?

;)

If we're going to start discussing the perineum, we'll need Ghost of Dwight Drane.

I've done that dance a million times in the last 3 years. My Dad came over for this one, and we put my son down between the 2nd and 3rd...We were both doing the quiet happy dance.

It was your positivity that kept me in check before the OT, and didn't let me fall off the edge. Thanks, my friend. :beer:

Your welcome. I truly believe that Buffalo is going to pick off these Flyers.

The news about Pomers is a bit unsettling. He's a huge cog to be missing.

To be honest, I wouldn't have a problem with Mancari. That boy has heart, and a better slapshot that Pommers. Hecht or Mancari I think would be fine for the Sabres overall. I think Mancari would be better for Gerbe, Hecht worked well with Vanek.

I'd rather have Mancari. Hecht has no game left and refuses to get involved; anyone gets near him he melts. Mancari plays tough and puts his shots on the net, which most Sabres have a problem doing with any consistency.

You guys are forgetting that Hecht was easily one of our best players in last year's playoffs... I know that's not really saying much, but I'm not talking about just on the scoresheet -- he was using his body, working the boards, has a LITTLE bit of offensive upside (more than Mancari and Ellis imo), and more importantly has experience. IDK how close he is to 100% but I'll give him a shot before Mancari and Ellis.

#epic fail

really thought he did... jeez my memory is shot.. must be 4:20 already

Really, this is nothing short of a major hit to your credibility. It's not quite as bad as the guy who BS'd about his Iraq deployment, but that's about all that can be said to defend it.

lol... I think he was dearly missed, though. At least it was common perception at the time that his defensive presence was sorely lacking--- I'd love to see him back, sooner rather than later.

Didn't Hamilton or maybe Mike Harrington say he's cleared to return to full practice?

Totally agree that getting Hecht back would be great for the Sabres. He plays a playoff-type game. I didn't hear that he'd been cleared for full practice -- that would be great news.

On behalf of the board, let me ask that you post more often.

Good call. Leading the way to an OT road win in game 5 -- that's a major accomplishment for a rookie.

Interesting that his list of leaders was Gaustad, Niedermeyer, Connolly, Grier, and Miller.

That is indeed interesting.

It's amazing to me that this type of injury doesn't happen more often. Best wishes to Pommer. He seems like a really good guy, I hope his career isn't cut short over something like this.

Really, this is nothing short of a major hit to your credibility. It's not quite as bad as the guy who BS'd about his Iraq deployment, but that's about all that can be said to defend it.

:lol: Take issue with it all you want... I don't think any of us on here actually have "credibility" as it is. Sorry I made a mistake thinking back about who played in last year's playoffs after 7 beers and a HUGE win for the boys in this year's playoffs. The fact that he didn't play in last years playoffs doesn't really change the point -- take that sentence out and the rest of the post reins true. Uses his body, works the boards well, more offensive upside than Mancari and Ellis, more playoff experience than both of them combined. It's still a no brainer that we would take Hecht over those bums.

oh well, carry on-- keep nitpicking everybody's post and debating who's right and wrong while I continue celebrating the biggest win since 2006

PEACE o<

Hahahaa.. still can't get over that... "Major hit to [my] credibility" because for the first time ever I made a careless post w/ inaccurate information. get real bro, do you read the ###### that some posters spew on a daily basis on this board? go ahead and bicker and call me out, call me a terrible terrible person for having a mental lapse after one of the most exhilarating nerve wracking games in recent history.

A few game notes:

1. Holy mackerel that was a great win.

2. Philly's goaltending finally looked not ready for prime time. It's quite possible that the entire team will stew about it for the next 39 hours and all of them will be uptight on Sunday.

3. Vanek gave Philly the old separator move right back!

4. Great heart by the Sabres in not crumbling after surrendering the lead.

5. I thought Boyes and Stafford both played pretty well despite being held off the score sheet.

6. Gaustad led all forwards in ice time, followed by TC and Stafford. Myers led the team with almost 28 minutes, while Butler, who had a few shaky moments (including getting undressed by Giroux on a great rush), had 26.5.

7. Pretty solid game by Weber. Also by Leopold following his return.

8. I don't remember who it was, but someone well up-thread predicted that Ennis would have 2. Very nice.

Hallelujah. Great win. They need to close it out on Sunday and they have a good chance of doing so. Philly probably will be down both Pronger and Richards and their goaltending is looking very shaky. The Sabres just need to come out with 100% intensity from the get-go, and not act (as they have done so many times at home) like all they need to do is show up and someone will award them the win. And Miller needs to keep it up.

Go Sabres.

Totally agree that getting Hecht back would be great for the Sabres. He plays a playoff-type game. I didn't hear that he'd been cleared for full practice -- that would be great news.

The only comment on Hecht's practice status I can find is on TBN's Sabres' Edge blog from Friday afternoon--- Mike Harrington mentions Hecht had participated in practice with his teammates for the first time since March 29. I'm pretty sure I had heard Paul Hamilton say something on WGR regarding Hecht's status but I may be offbase. If there was any kind of update along these lines it'll make the rounds fairly early on Saturday, I'd wager.

Also--- thanks! I'm a longtime lurker and having been stranded out in northern Virginia amongst Caps' "fans" the past two years I'm fairly hungry for all of the Sabres' camaraderie I can get. I'll be driving up to Buffalo tomorrow morning for Game 6 on Sunday--- champing on the bit for the puck drop.

Good call. Leading the way to an OT road win in game 5 -- that's a major accomplishment for a rookie.

That is indeed interesting.

Can't you just pick one ?

A quote from the Flyers GDT-

nice high stick by miller no call...

I don't wanna hear anybody from buffalo cry about the flyers getting away with "murder," ever again.

WTF? are they serious or delusional?

hahaha. apparently they didn't see the missed high stick on Leopold and later on Kaleta. It's whatever. Bottom line is the refs awarded Philly a chance to win the game with ~2 mins to go in regulation and their PP was foiled by our PK and Miller. TOUGH.

Archived