Game Discussion Thread: Sabres at Flyers

nfreeman

What a gutty win tonight. I heard/watched much of the game. I listened to the first period on the radio while I was at the park with my daughter and nephew. Of course, when I don't watch they go up 3-0. Then, I came home and watched the second and third periods, where of course Philly comes back to tie. Then we left just before the start of OT, and I listen on the radio when they score the winner. Why can't they play well when I watch?!?!

Anyway, I heard about the Pominville injury, and that's really concerning. He's one of my favorite players on the team and such a good person. It sounds very serious. My gut feeling is that we could see Derek Roy on Sunday centering the 4th line between McCormick and Grier. I think Roy is closer to playing than Hecht is. If not Roy, then, obviously Mancari gets called up and will take Pominville's place in the lineup.

Either way, tremendous win by the Sabres to win it in OT on a game they had lost all momentum in and somehow found a way to pull it out. Great great victory. Now, it's time to just close it out on Sunday.

It's amazing to me that this type of injury doesn't happen more often. Best wishes to Pommer. He seems like a really good guy, I hope his career isn't cut short over something like this.

With technology today you would think they would have some time of protective layer to prevent this type of injury.

I hope there is no surgery involved for Pominville, if there is Bobby Ryan should be made to watch it live.

Not sure if anyone talked about this but did they show the warm up when Miller was hugging his stick and the fans were all yelling at him through the glass? And then some fat guy was waving his arms at the glass and Myers shot a puck at him and the glass shattered? He jumped out of the way so fast, it was priceless.

If you can find it, you'll get a good laugh.

The only comment on Hecht's practice status I can find is on TBN's Sabres' Edge blog from Friday afternoon--- Mike Harrington mentions Hecht had participated in practice with his teammates for the first time since March 29. I'm pretty sure I had heard Paul Hamilton say something on WGR regarding Hecht's status but I may be offbase. If there was any kind of update along these lines it'll make the rounds fairly early on Saturday, I'd wager.

Also--- thanks! I'm a longtime lurker and having been stranded out in northern Virginia amongst Caps' "fans" the past two years I'm fairly hungry for all of the Sabres' camaraderie I can get. I'll be driving up to Buffalo tomorrow morning for Game 6 on Sunday--- champing on the bit for the puck drop.

Not sure if anyone can comment, but Caps fans down here (to me) have been getting worse and worse. Low hockey IQ, severe bandwagon syndrome, one playoff series win since '98, and everyone in DC is from somewhere else. It's really pretty brutal.

One game at a time here, of course, but if we do get to play the caps it's going to be frustrating. Luckily they have similar unreliable goaltending just like Philly does.

Let's do it to it on Sunday.

No, he got bumped and cut himself with his own skate. Freaky play.

I read an article after the injury, long after it, and they initially thought Gaustad sliced the tendon himself. However, upon further review, it was actually Dany Heatley's skate that sliced Gaustad's tendon. I remember reading that a while back.

I did not see what happened to Pominville, but I suspect it is likely similar to what happened a couple of years ago when Teppo Numminen's skate got Chris Neil's in the back of the calf and he was gone for like six weeks.

Hey guys,

I've been a long time reader, but I finally decided to join after this huge win tonight. I missed the entire first period, so all I got to watch was Philly coming back on us for a while. I have absolutely loved Ennis all year, and when I turned on the stream, all the VS guys could talk about was how Ennis had been the best player on the ice tonight, so I had a feeling he was going to make something happen. I'm glad to finally join the board, and lets end this series on Sunday!! Go sabres!!!

What a gutty win tonight. I heard/watched much of the game. I listened to the first period on the radio while I was at the park with my daughter and nephew. Of course, when I don't watch they go up 3-0. Then, I came home and watched the second and third periods, where of course Philly comes back to tie. Then we left just before the start of OT, and I listen on the radio when they score the winner. Why can't they play well when I watch?!?!

Anyway, I heard about the Pominville injury, and that's really concerning. He's one of my favorite players on the team and such a good person. It sounds very serious. My gut feeling is that we could see Derek Roy on Sunday centering the 4th line between McCormick and Grier. I think Roy is closer to playing than Hecht is. If not Roy, then, obviously Mancari gets called up and will take Pominville's place in the lineup.

Either way, tremendous win by the Sabres to win it in OT on a game they had lost all momentum in and somehow found a way to pull it out. Great great victory. Now, it's time to just close it out on Sunday.

Please don't watch the next game haha. What a huge Sabres win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clapping: :clapping: :beer: :beer:

Props to NHL Network On the Fly for pointing out the glove pass just before one of Philly's goals. I hadn't heard much about it... we were flipping at my house.

Did MAG try to bring it to the ref's attention (was waving his hand at him)? If it's what I remember, it happened behind the net to the left of Miller. Thanks for bringing it up, I was wondering if that's what he was trying to point out. Will go back and check it.

With technology today you would think they would have some time of protective layer to prevent this type of injury.

I hope there is no surgery involved for Pominville, if there is Bobby Ryan should be made to watch it live.

I'm surprised that they don't have kevlar socks. I know they make neck wear to protect from Zednik's disease, but I'm surprised they don't have kevlar socks. It happens more often than we think.

Several companies including Tuff N Lite and others make all sorts of products that do this. I myself own some wrist guards. Do I wear them? Nope. I have been considering a pair of socks though. I imagine goalies wear this stuff more than skaters do. The technology is there. Most don't use it preventatively though.

Did MAG try to bring it to the ref's attention (was waving his hand at him)? If it's what I remember, it happened behind the net to the left of Miller. Thanks for bringing it up, I was wondering if that's what he was trying to point out. Will go back and check it.

That was the one.

Your welcome. I truly believe that Buffalo is going to pick off these Flyers.

The news about Pomers is a bit unsettling. He's a huge cog to be missing.

Not meant as a stab against Pommers in general, but just maybe this will force Lindy to rethink his PP?

Although Gragnani got one last night, it might not be such as a bad thing?

Not sure if anyone can comment, but Caps fans down here (to me) have been getting worse and worse. Low hockey IQ, severe bandwagon syndrome, one playoff series win since '98, and everyone in DC is from somewhere else. It's really pretty brutal.

One game at a time here, of course, but if we do get to play the caps it's going to be frustrating. Luckily they have similar unreliable goaltending just like Philly does.

Let's do it to it on Sunday.

The current bunch of Caps fans are truly annoying for all the reasons you say. Add to that their Soviet Red Army colors and the Czarist eagle on the uniforms and that every fan wears Mark Lofthouse's-- I mean Ovechkin's-- jersey, and you have Moscow on the Potomac. But no matter what they look like, they will choke--it is in their nature.

Not meant as a stab against Pommers in general, but just maybe this will force Lindy to rethink his PP?

Although Gragnani got one last night, it might not be such as a bad thing?

Bad choice of words. :rolleyes:

I'll say, I know I'm not the only one to think it, so I'll say it. That play was potentially one way to get out from under the Pominville contract.

In the 3rd and in OT, it looks as they finally figured out how to overcome that Philly forecheck and move the puck out of their zone. I think the problem was they just were not moving their feet when they had the puck, it seemed everything was stationary instead of carrying the puck. I'd say the Sabres held the edge after BooHooBRIERE scored. I'm feeling good about Sunday's game as long as the Sabres dictate the game's play and not fall into playing hockey where they are reacting instead of playing their game. I really hate the Flyers. :sick:

Game thoughts:

1. Peter L is in a pickle now. I can't imagine which one of his goalies will rise above the pressure of a soft goal allowed. He took a real chance in pulling Boucher yesterday. You can't play Bob. Boucher is now looking over his shoulder and Leighton is the scapegoat from last year's SCF and the subject of fan derrision. Quite the pickle, Peter Piper.

2. Buffalo finally won a game that Danny scored in..

3. People on this board who have been dogging the "5.4M Defensive Forward" are going to come to appreciate him now that he is lost for the foreseeable future.

4. Can someone explain to me two penalties taken last night? What did Richards do to get a matching penalty with Butler? It's listed as slashing. I thought that was a completely bogus call. And what did Leopold due to get a hooking call at the end of the 3rd?

5. James Van Riemsdyk is a heckuva player. Eight more SOGs last night and another goal.

6. I'm still in stunned disbelief how good Buffalo looked in that first period last night. Considering how much the Flyers talked pregame about coming out strong, they were completely flat. Three goals before the fans finished their first beer.

7. This is going to sound a little wierd and it's easier to type since they won the game. It was almost a relief that Danny scored that tying goal. I don't think I could stand a whole 20 minutes of Alamo mode in the third. Once Philly tied it, they backed off and played a safer game. As a result, Buffalo actually had some zone time in a 3rd period last night. Buffalo took their foot off the Philly throat and Philly returned the favor.

8. Is there anything more fun than a arena-silencing shot? That place went from roaring to DEAD silent in an instant. Thank you Thing2.

9. I'm looking forward to hearing Doc call the game Sunday. I hope it's him. He calls every goal with the same enthusiasm.

10.Even the most unsure of us on this board now have to be dreaming of a deep playoff run. As fans we can afford to look ahead. I myself would like a crack at Washington and then have Boston-Pitt play. First things first, a 1-0 shutout of Philly on Easter would be the perfect series capper. Let's get it shorthanded just for fun. I dream, I dream..

11. Watched the Nas-Ana game until it went to OT. How do you lose that game at home after that goal Bobby Ryan score? I'm shocked to see Nashville won in OT. That Weber shot to tie it with 38 second left was perfectly executed.

Game thoughts:

1. Peter L is in a pickle now. I can't imagine which one of his goalies will rise above the pressure of a soft goal allowed. He took a real chance in pulling Boucher yesterday. You can't play Bob. Boucher is now looking over his shoulder and Leighton is the scapegoat from last year's SCF and the subject of fan derrision. Quite the pickle, Peter Piper.

2. Buffalo finally won a game that Danny scored in..

3. People on this board who have been dogging the "5.4M Defensive Forward" are going to come to appreciate him now that he is lost for the foreseeable future.

4. Can someone explain to me two penalties taken last night? What did Richards do to get a matching penalty with Butler? It's listed as slashing. I thought that was a completely bogus call. And what did Leopold due to get a hooking call at the end of the 3rd?

5. James Van Riemsdyk is a heckuva player. Eight more SOGs last night and another goal.

6. I'm still in stunned disbelief how good Buffalo looked in that first period last night. Considering how much the Flyers talked pregame about coming out strong, they were completely flat. Three goals before the fans finished their first beer.

7. This is going to sound a little wierd and it's easier to type since they won the game. It was almost a relief that Danny scored that tying goal. I don't think I could stand a whole 20 minutes of Alamo mode in the third. Once Philly tied it, they backed off and played a safer game. As a result, Buffalo actually had some zone time in a 3rd period last night. Buffalo took their foot off the Philly throat and Philly returned the favor.

8. Is there anything more fun than a arena-silencing shot? That place went from roaring to DEAD silent in an instant. Thank you Thing2.

9. I'm looking forward to hearing Doc call the game Sunday. I hope it's him. He calls every goal with the same enthusiasm.

10.Even the most unsure of us on this board now have to be dreaming of a deep playoff run. As fans we can afford to look ahead. I myself would like a crack at Washington and then have Boston-Pitt play. First things first, a 1-0 shutout of Philly on Easter would be the perfect series capper. Let's get it shorthanded just for fun. I dream, I dream..

11. Watched the Nas-Ana game until it went to OT. How do you lose that game at home after that goal Bobby Ryan score? I'm shocked to see Nashville won in OT. That Weber shot to tie it with 38 second left was perfectly executed.

Not so sure on Richards penalty, but I'll take it as it made it 4 on 4. Leopold on the other hand clearly hooked the Philly player down to the ice. That was probably the only "good" call these refs have made this whole series.

So this Sunday we are going to be moving forward into the next round. I don't think Philly has it in them, let alone the stone wall Miller and the Defense are going to be. IIRC the last time we met Philly in game 6 with similar scenarios (like Philly making tee times)we smoked the like 6-0. I know the score isn't correct on this but it's the point I am trying to convey here.

LET'S GO BUFFALO!!!!!!!

I told my wife the Sabres had a dream first period. She said, "Don't get too excited. It's Buffalo. You know stuff can happen."

As a well-trained Buffalo sports fan, I knew she was right, of course. After we gave up the three goals, I became very calm, almost confident. I decided to trust our Sabres and have faith that they'd overcome everything and get the win. My faith was rewarded.

I don't know about others, but, win or lose in this series, I am really liking the heart on display by most of the guys on this team. Going in, i wondred if we had the fortitde and resolve to make it through close games and adversity, not to mention the physical aspect. Questons answered.

GO SABRES!!

Archived