Game Discussion Thread: Sabres at Flyers

nfreeman

The Sabres don't need to lose Pominville to sign Richards, if they want to sign Richards.

I want Pominville around; I realize that the price tag is high, but he's a solid player.

Please, no depositions!

And did you hope he was out for a year-- as opposed to 6 weeks, for instance-- so we might sign Brad Richards?(at least for a fleeting moment while you were busily deducing). Pretend this is a deposition.

The guy could be bleeding to death for all I know! You don't hope the guy is out for the year when death is also a possibility. Those 2 seemed a lot more possible at the time than him coming back this series.

The guy could be bleeding to death for all I know! You don't hope the guy is out for the year when death is also a possibility. Those 2 seemed a lot more possible at the time than him coming back this series.

What prognosis do you hope for now, based on your current knowledge?

What prognosis do you hope for now, based on your current knowledge?

I have no current knowledge because Lindy isn't saying anything.

I don't think it's very long term because they probably would have gotten him straight to the hospital. He's probably 2 weeks away from playing at best. It stinks for their chances.

I love how you try to say someone who can see potential outcomes is wishing for those outcomes. Let em ask you this.....on 9/11, how long did it take you to think of the possibility we would be at war with a Muslim country? Was it when the first reports of a possible plane hit came about? When the 2nd plane was caught on tape hitting? When the towers fell? When someone in the media told you 2 hours later that terrorism was a possibility? Never?

Did you WANT to go to war and have thousands of American troops killed? Did you want to target a certain sect of people and attack them for their differences?

Now could you also see that event as an excuse to exert more control in the middle east to control our supply of natural resources? Or did you need John Stewart to tell you that 2 years later?

You see Pominville drop everything like he was shot, and make a B-line to the lockerroom with the trainers running behind...while not putting any weight on his foot that was just fine 3 seconds previous. He didn't get hit...he didn't twist it.....first thought is a blade got him big time for him to react like that. The achillies is the first thing to come to mind when you see a guy just go limp, and knowing that part is exposed. If it is his achillies, he reacted so violently and urgently that it is very much in the realm of possibility he sliced it through. If he sliced it through...he is done for 12 months. If he is done for 12 months....he goes on IR and his cap space is freed up.

It was 15 seconds of deductive reasoning, along with the thought "I hope the SOB isn't bleeding to death back there", and "I hope he just overreacted because he was caught off guard."

Exactly! If Pominville is out long term it opens up other possibilities this off season in regards to the roster. Suddenly $23 mil of cap space becomes $30 mil. I always keep an eye towards the future.

Exactly! If Pominville is out long term it opens up other possibilities this off season in regards to the roster. Suddenly $23 mil of cap space becomes $30 mil. I always keep an eye towards the future.

Fairly Nixonian response. You wrote it was a way to get out from under Pominville's contract. Getting out from under something means you are in a bad position that you want to evade. Like if you are in a bad marriage without a prenup, a car crash that killed your wife would get you "out from under an emotional and financial burden--" a desired state of affairs. But I'll take you at your word that you were simply having a "making lemonade out of lemons" explanation--that if we got cap space in the future that would be a fortunate benefit from an unfortunate event. I'm kind of gullible. :)

I don't think it's very long term because they probably would have gotten him straight to the hospital. He's probably 2 weeks away from playing at best. It stinks for their chances.

I love how you try to say someone who can see potential outcomes is wishing for those outcomes. Let em ask you this.....on 9/11, how long did it take you to think of the possibility we would be at war with a Muslim country? Was it when the first reports of a possible plane hit came about? When the 2nd plane was caught on tape hitting? When the towers fell? When someone in the media told you 2 hours later that terrorism was a possibility? Never?

Did you WANT to go to war and have thousands of American troops killed? Did you want to target a certain sect of people and attack them for their differences?

Now could you also see that event as an excuse to exert more control in the middle east to control our supply of natural resources? Or did you need John Stewart to tell you that 2 years later?

Wow, that was a non-responsive rant. But,I believe you were unhappy with the injury, but were thinking quickly to find a silver lining. :thumbsup:

Fairly Nixonian response. You wrote it was a way to get out from under Pominville's contract. Getting out from under something means you are in a bad position that you want to evade. Like if you are in a bad marriage without a prenup, a car crash that killed your wife would get you "out from under an emotional and financial burden--" a desired state of affairs. But I'll take you at your word that you were simply having a "making lemonade out of lemons" explanation--that if we got cap space in the future that would be a fortunate benefit from an unfortunate event. I'm kind of gullible. :)

Make no mistake about it, if the Sabres could dump the Pominville contract in the off-season I and many others would be all for it. I'm not going to wish he gets his foot cut off for it to happen. I want the Sabres to dump Miller's ridiculous contract. That doesn't mean I want Miller to take a puck in the temple.

Interesting discussion in here. I believe under the current ownership that Pominville will retire as a Sabre. So while this discussion is entertaining, it is also moot.

Carry on..

Make no mistake about it, if the Sabres could dump the Pominville contract in the off-season I and many others would be all for it. I'm not going to wish he gets his foot cut off for it to happen. I want the Sabres to dump Miller's ridiculous contract. That doesn't mean I want Miller to take a puck in the temple.

While I doubt that most share the view that 50-75% of the current team should be purged--including many of the best players--OK. But can't you see how callous your comments were under the circumstances? When a guy is seriously hurt, you should suspend your crusade for a minute or two, out of simple decency. Even if you despised Bobby Kennedy's politics, it is simply wrong to rejoice at his murder because you can foresee how it would help get Nixon elected. You are a Democrat-- I expect a shred of decency from you.

Wow, that was a non-responsive rant. But,I believe you were unhappy with the injury, but were thinking quickly to find a silver lining. :thumbsup:

It's also gallows humor. "We'll we don't have to worry about his contract anymore." "Maybe the ambulance will run over Hecht on the way out of the lot." "Hey, do you think Pegula's gonna have a candlelight vigil for Pommers tomorrow night?"

It's also gallows humor. "We'll we don't have to worry about his contract anymore." "Maybe the ambulance will run over Hecht on the way out of the lot." "Hey, do you think Pegula's gonna have a candlelight vigil for Pommers tomorrow night?"

The last line was funny. :clapping:

Changing topics related to last night's game, I feel I have to get something off my chest.

I am feeling badly about the fact that I used the Lord's name in vain BIG TIME when Philly scored their third goal. My wife, bless her soul, immediately took the opportunity to point out to me that it was Good Friday and that I should feel terrible about myself for doing such a bad thing. Well, mission accomplished, I immediately felt shame! Fortunately, it did not put a hex on the Sabres last night (ours is not a vengeful God!), which was my immediate concern. Are there any priests, medicine men or shamans posting on this board who can absolve me of my sin?

BTW, I don't really feel badly enough about it to go to confession, or even to church for that matter (although I will probably be forced to go with the family for Easter tomorrow). Come to think of it, I will go to church to pray for a series closing win tomorrow! That's how it works, isn't it?!

Changing topics related to last night's game, I feel I have to get something off my chest.

I am feeling badly about the fact that I used the Lord's name in vain BIG TIME when Philly scored their third goal. My wife, bless her soul, immediately took the opportunity to point out to me that it was Good Friday and that I should feel terrible about myself for doing such a bad thing. Well, mission accomplished, I immediately felt shame! Fortunately, it did not put a hex on the Sabres last night (ours is not a vengeful God!), which was my immediate concern. Are there any priests, medicine men or shamans posting on this board who can absolve me of my sin?

BTW, I don't really feel badly enough about it to go to confession, or even to church for that matter (although I will probably be forced to go with the family for Easter tomorrow). Come to think of it, I will go to church to pray for a series closing win tomorrow! That's how it works, isn't it?!

You're human--and that's OK. Move on and don't do it again-- unless they blow a 4 goal lead. :)

Luckily I am ordained in several religions, most of which are illegal in the United States, so I think I may help.

Wow, this is why I love being on this message board ....this was quite the segway away from hockey.

I can say this, no one wants to be over there, speaking from personal experience.... but I digress

I don't seeing it being an achilles, but idk if we'll see pommers unless we beat the caps in the next round, just a deep gash alone will take some time to heal, let alone if any extensor or flexor tendons got knicked.

It stinks but I think we can fill in someone that will play well, whoever it is wont fill the same shoes as pommers but can take on a more physical role and help the team. Let's hope lindy works his magic!!

No. That's not how it works. Otherwise, the Sabres would have won the 34 Cups since I've been paying attention.

Here's how it works: If there's a God, and I believe there is, that God is not offended by your offhand remark and also has no interest whatsoever in a hockey game.

Wow, this is why I love being on this message board ....this was quite the segway away from hockey.

I can say this, no one wants to be over there, speaking from personal experience.... but I digress

I don't seeing it being an achilles, but idk if we'll see pommers unless we beat the caps in the next round, just a deep gash alone will take some time to heal, let alone if any extensor or flexor tendons got knicked.

It stinks but I think we can fill in someone that will play well, whoever it is wont fill the same shoes as pommers but can take on a more physical role and help the team. Let's hope lindy works his magic!!

I thank whoever puts their butt on the line, anywhere, so I can drink beer and watch hockey!

I just used it as an example how when real time events are happening that might have dire outcomes, it isn't a sin to think "what might happen next?" That day was probably as chaotic and emotional as many people will see, yet I am sure as the day progressed, many people understood what might end up happening in response. I am sure when the first one hit, we were all hoping it was a cargo pilot that went into a diabetic coma....but common sense had to have you thinking otherwise. And just because you thought it, doesn't mean you willed it to happen.

I thank whoever puts their butt on the line, anywhere, so I can drink beer and watch hockey!

I just used it as an example how when real time events are happening that might have dire outcomes, it isn't a sin to think "what might happen next?" That day was probably as chaotic and emotional as many people will see, yet I am sure as the day progressed, many people understood what might end up happening in response. I am sure when the first one hit, we were all hoping it was a cargo pilot that went into a diabetic coma....but common sense had to have you thinking otherwise. And just because you thought it, doesn't mean you willed it to happen.

For whatever reason, the bolded part just isn't accepted by some folks around here.

PS.. I was thinking about IR and cap implications next season as well. :thumbsup: But not before thinking about how shatty it's going to be in the next round missing our #1 RW and PK'er.

FYI - Here are some Sabres/Flyers that show up among playoff league leaders in key stats:

Miller: 2nd most shots faced (behind Roloson, TB); 3rd in goals against and save percentage (behind Neuvirth, WAS and Roloson, TB)

Boucher: 4th in save percentage

Gragnani: Tied for 2nd in defensemen scoring (1 behind Keith, CHI)

Giroux: Tied for 20th in forward scoring (3 behind St. Louis, TB)

While I doubt that most share the view that 50-75% of the current team should be purged--including many of the best players--OK. But can't you see how callous your comments were under the circumstances? When a guy is seriously hurt, you should suspend your crusade for a minute or two, out of simple decency. Even if you despised Bobby Kennedy's politics, it is simply wrong to rejoice at his murder because you can foresee how it would help get Nixon elected. You are a Democrat-- I expect a shred of decency from you.

I deeply object to the GDT for the best Sabres win in 4 years degenerating into this.

Miller is worth every cent.

I agree on unloading Pommer, and of course that this doesn't mean anyone wants anyone to get hurt.

Interesting discussion in here. I believe under the current ownership that Pominville will retire as a Sabre. So while this discussion is entertaining, it is also moot.

Carry on..

I think this is probably right. Good call.

Much better.

For whatever reason, the bolded part just isn't accepted by some folks around here.

PS.. I was thinking about IR and cap implications next season as well. :thumbsup: But not before thinking about how shatty it's going to be in the next round missing our #1 RW and PK'er.

Come on man--have an ounce of common sense. No one willed sh&t to happen or even wanted in to happen in the first instance in any of these scenarios--and no one disputes that. But to the extent you immediately thought--and then expressed out loud of all things--wow this is great because we get out from under a K, then that sucks. I have accepted the explanations, so this is a dead horse. But setting up straw man arguments and then acting like a genius when you knock them down is laughable. You are smart enough to engage in the real issue.

Archived