Game Discussion Thread

spndnchz

Paul Hamilton just announced that Enroth will start tonight. No surprise to people who know how superstitious Ruff is. He's not going to change up personnel when the team is playing well, especially at the goalie position. Enroth has been really solid at home too. Perfect scenario if the Sabres can earn a point tonight and Miller can get a start tomorrow.

Too bad that doesn't go for his line combinations as well.

I'm a huge Islanders fan today.. HUGE

AND tomorrow a HUGE TB fan!

Stack all 6 players in the net and just get it to OT!

That still may not work hahah

Blue home jerseys.And these tidbits from sabres.com:

• Buffalo is 26-11-6 since Jan. 1; their 58 points are most in the East during that span…
  • The Sabres are 14-4-4 since Terry Pegula became owner on Feb. 22…
  • The Sabres haven’t lost consecutive games since Feb. 18-20…
  • The Sabres are 44-for-47 on the penalty kill (93.6%) over the past 15 games…
  • Jhonas Enroth has gotten points in his last seven starts (6-0-1) and is 8-2-2 this year…
  • Buffalo’s defensemen have combined for 39 goals, the most since 1990-91…
  • Buffalo has sold out 12 straight home games before tonight; 22 this season…
  • Thomas Vanek has 16 points (6+10) in his last 16 games…
  • The Sabres have two 30+ goal scorers (Vanek, Stafford) for the first time since 2007-08…
  • Tim Connolly has seven points (2+5) in his last six games…
  • Buffalo is 8-1-2 at home since Feb. 23.
  • Chz is so pumped she may pass out.

Chz, I know CPR if you pass out lol!

Great points, if we do win, expect a loss tomorrow...we have yet to win 4 in a row this yr

Is anyone else nervous about the fact that...1.) Pegula inadvertently is putting a lot of pressure on the team tonight with this big fan appreciation night and all the alumni2.) Miller being able to start essentially cold in the playoffsDISCUSS....

Pressure...who cares? Play a normal game...

Cold? The other side could be that he is rested enough that he'll be sharp and make very few errors!

Pads? Glove? I'm confused. I thought it was, "By the mighty paddle of ETHRON the Sabres shall be victorious!"GO SABRES!!!

NO!

"By the mighty helmet (or lack there of) of ETRON the Sabres shall be victorious!"

Lets see:

80+ Alumni

Contest for fans to pick a player to get their jersey

Sold out crowd PLUS the fans outside.

All the festivities leading up to a very excited atmosphere of people just craving a win....

Explain how any of the events listed above bring added pressure on the players? :blink: :blink: :blink:

1. The current players have never even heard of the majority of the alumni.

2. I can't concentrate on my play...I wonder who is going to win my jersey?

3. The last 20+ games have been sellouts. Tonight is no different. 18,690.

4. While the festivities are going on, the players are in the locker room getting ready to play the game. They are oblivious to what is going on off the ice.

Explain how any of the events listed above bring added pressure on the players? :blink: :blink: :blink:

1. The current players have never even heard of the majority of the alumni.

2. I can't concentrate on my play...I wonder who is going to win my jersey?

3. The last 20+ games have been sellouts. Tonight is no different. 18,690.

4. While the festivities are going on, the players are in the locker room getting ready to play the game. They are oblivious to what is going on off the ice.

1. Incorrect. It's been reported by a few players that they idolize previous sabres, some in attendance tonight. I'm at work otherwise I'd do the necessary "googling" to find out who.

2. There are show-offs. If your too concerned with things outside the game, your game itself will suffer.

3. the last 20+ games have not had the atmosphere tonight will bring.

4. The players are involved in midday festivities before the game, (See the website for more info)

These are all things that could impact a players mindset. Regardless of how "whimsidaisical" they may seem.

1. Incorrect. It's been reported by a few players that they idolize previous sabres, some in attendance tonight. I'm at work otherwise I'd do the necessary "googling" to find out who.

2. There are show-offs. If your too concerned with things outside the game, your game itself will suffer.

3. the last 20+ games have not had the atmosphere tonight will bring.

4. The players are involved in midday festivities before the game, (See the website for more info)

These are all things that could impact a players mindset. Regardless of how "whimsidaisical" they may seem.

What you listed are excuses that YOU will use if the Sabres end up losing.

I give up. Tonight will be more pressure packed than game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

By the PADDLE OF ENROTH we shall clinch a playoff berth! Then Millsy can come back and win us the cup. This is the most important game of the year! lol needed to say it. Lets go Buffalo! Destroy the flyers and if you cant handle the pressure you are not good enough anyways! Great test for our young def to what they can or can not handle. I am stoked for this one!

I think you will witness a game of two teams going in opposite directions, 5-2 tonight for the home standing Sabres in the classic blue sweaters.

:worthy: :beer:

Emoticon Translation: Beer is worthy.

By the PADDLE OF ENROTH we shall clinch a playoff berth! Then Millsy can come back and win us the cup. This is the most important game of the year! lol needed to say it. Lets go Buffalo! Destroy the flyers and if you cant handle the pressure you are not good enough anyways! Great test for our young def to what they can or can not handle. I am stoked for this one!

ETHRON good sir...ETHRON

And to everyone else, it's by whatever means necessary, paddle, glove, helmet? we don't need no stinkin' helmet!

I like that Enroth is playin tonight, and then tomorrow let Ryan get a little practice in before the playoffs start (Engineer says: Glass would always be completely full if it wasn't twice as big as it needs to be).

Found this interesting from sabres.com:

Today’s game begins Buffalo’s 22nd of a league-high 22 sets of back-to-back games this season. The Sabres are 11-8-2 in the first game and 10-8-3 in the second.

I feel like in the past, we've constantly railed on this team for not showing up, etc. for the second of back-to-back games. But it looks like our record isn't THAT bad.

I love the Swedish sensation that is ETHRON as much as the next Sabres fan, but I think talk of him starting over Miller in the playoffs is RIDICULOUS!

Take a look at each of their last 7 starts, for example.

Enroth: 2.29 GAA, .926 SV%, 1 shutout

Miller: 1.86 GAA, .938 SV%, 2 shutouts

The Sabres picked up 2 more wins in Enroth's starts, but you can't attribute that to better goaltending. Compared to the terrible backup goalies of the past few seasons, Enroth looks like a Vezina winner, but we should not get carried away enough to anoint him as better than the ACTUAL Vezina winner.

Ruff is already on record that Miller is number one.

But honestly, does it make sense to start a goalie just returning from an injury...in stead of one with a "hot...glove?"

I think it's the better call then forcing miller back into net. In all liklihood he gets start tomorrow for some gametime.

I agree.

Miller must be a number-one in name only.

Biggest game of the year. He's able to play. But he's not.

I agree.

Miller must be a number-one in name only.

Biggest game of the year. He's able to play. But he's not.

You're crusading again. Stop assuming that there's a hidden agenda and enjoy the freaking game.

Nonsense, and don't say you weren't asking for it.

Of course I've been asking for it. I am happier than a pig in ###### right now.

I'm just trying to figure out how anyone can say Miller is still the number one when in the biggest game of the year to date, with everything on the line, Ruff thinks the other guy gives him a better chance of winning.

I won't call Ruff on it, since he said Miller was his number one the other day. And he left the door ajar -- OK, hanging wide open -- to the idea of Enroth continuing to play once Miller returned.

I love the Swedish sensation that is ETHRON as much as the next Sabres fan, but I think talk of him starting over Miller in the playoffs is RIDICULOUS!

Take a look at each of their last 7 starts, for example.

Enroth: 2.29 GAA, .926 SV%, 1 shutout

Miller: 1.86 GAA, .938 SV%, 2 shutouts

The Sabres picked up 2 more wins in Enroth's starts, but you can't attribute that to better goaltending. Compared to the terrible backup goalies of the past few seasons, Enroth looks like a Vezina winner, but we should not get carried away enough to anoint him as better than the ACTUAL Vezina winner.

I agree. I think everyone is just excited to see a capable fill in for Miller. it's been awhile

I mean the kid is good, he makes saves with his pads, his stick, glove, no helmet, helmet, it's awesome to see...

but there is the downside where he gives up some BIG rebounds!

I REALLY wanna see the kid with 1 FULL season as a backup under his belt before I jump from one ship to another.

On a side note: I'm heading to Rochester this weekend for my FE Exam, and I'm staying with some friends from school, and one of them happens to be probably a pretty big Flyers fans, and I'm really hoping to rub it in his face tonight...just saying

What you listed are excuses that YOU will use if the Sabres end up losing.

I give up. Tonight will be more pressure packed than game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

I usually agree with your point of view....but not this time.

It's not so much pressure as it is a carnival atmosphere and lack of focus. This is not an ideal environment to be preparing a young team against a top rival while there is still a chance you can blow it all.

You're telling me with 100 alumni coming into town the past few days....they haven't already been crawling around the arena or out at the bars? It's a fun distraction...but it's a distraction. Regier has admitted the team sometimes tries to put on a show at home. Do you think that will be tempered with 40 years worth of mentors watching?

It's a great idea from a fan perspective and neat the Sabres are doing it. It's sort of bad timing when it comes to the standings...that's all.

No...it was a young, emerging, new way of doing things entitiy that was the talk of the town for it's results.....then was gone forever a few years later.

I think I follow the analogy now.

But I prefer the Middle Earth video game one better.

(but i've always believed Regis never goes to jail without a Ken Lay creating the context)

Paul Hamilton just announced that Enroth will start tonight. No surprise to people who know how superstitious Ruff is. He's not going to change up personnel when the team is playing well, especially at the goalie position. Enroth has been really solid at home too. Perfect scenario if the Sabres can earn a point tonight and Miller can get a start tomorrow.

I guess the obvious followup question would be what if Enroth is solid again tonight in a big win? If Ruff is superstitious, Miller doesn't see the crease again until after Enroth has a bad game or the Sabres lose. Miller playing in Columbus could be a much deserved rest for Enroth so Enroth can get ready for the playoffs.

It's not so much pressure as it is a carnival atmosphere and lack of focus. This is not an ideal environment to be preparing a young team against a top rival while there is still a chance you can blow it all.

You're telling me with 100 alumni coming into town the past few days....they haven't already been crawling around the arena or out at the bars? It's a fun distraction...but it's a distraction. Regier has admitted the team sometimes tries to put on a show at home. Do you think that will be tempered with 40 years worth of mentors watching?

It's a great idea from a fan perspective and neat the Sabres are doing it. It's sort of bad timing when it comes to the standings...that's all.

I've got to agree with you Ghost. at first I was thinkin that with all of these guys lookin on, a lot of them legends of the blue and gold, the current Sabres would WANT to focus and win it, but realized that, WANT to and WILL are two different things

I think they WILL be distracted, but I hope they prove me wrong.

I still think the fans being jacked for this game due to the festivities would cancel any added pressure. Been to two games this year and watched most of the rest and it seems like the crowd doesn't really get into it until the third. Maybe a pumped up crowd at faceoff will give us a jump from the word Go!

Of course I've been asking for it. I am happier than a pig in ###### right now.

I'm just trying to figure out how anyone can say Miller is still the number one when in the biggest game of the year to date, with everything on the line, Ruff thinks the other guy gives him a better chance of winning.

I won't call Ruff on it, since he said Miller was his number one the other day. And he left the door ajar -- OK, hanging wide open -- to the idea of Enroth continuing to play once Miller returned.

Perhaps ruff wants to give miller a night more of rest and relaxing and has so much faith in him as number 1 that he knows if Miller only gets a game in before the playoffs he will be just fine. A sore muscle one day could be perfectly fine the next. This game is important but Miller is clearly still working back in and the first step is putting him on the bench to be at ice leverl and feel the game. Tomorrow he will go in an play and then be all rested for the playoffs. Miller is number 1

Archived