Game Discussion Thread

spndnchz

Yep, I all agree with this. Seems like Vanek has consitently shown up when we need him most. He was definetly top one or two players on the ice considering both teams last night. On an aside I've loved Pommers game lately as well. Where the heck has Stafford been?? He doesn't seem to want to battle for the puck and I haven't noticed him in quite a few games now. Don't want to get into it until the offseason because Hey were in the playoffs now but it'll be interesting to see what kind of contract he gets. I know he's scored 30 goals but I don't seem him as a huge threat to score at any time like Vanek.

Good post.Vanek is the Sabres most dangerous player when on the ice hands down, even on an off night. He is the Sabres most skilled offensive player when you consider his hockey sense,vision, passing ability, and shooting skills. I like him because he is unselfish and would rather attempt a difficult pass to create a AAA scoring chance for a teammate than take a low percentage shot himself. That would be hard to say about most of the Sabres other big offensive threats , excluding Timmy. I think the power play gets a little better if Lindy decides to keep 57 off of the ice when the Vanek power play line is out there. When they find a guy who knows how to deliver the puck consistently to the net on the pp look out.

No kidding. I watched the opening ceremonies twice on video and I'm still choked up.

Sorry you missed it. If I may opine, you did the right thing in going to the wake. Hopefully that good karma will come back in the playoffs and stay for a while.

Ryan Miller: "A lot of people wrote us off. We talked about doing something special, and it's only part of the way done. What we need to understand is this isn't the goal. This is a stop along the way."

Now tell me again how his team mysteriously and quietly hates him and he is an ego maniac ect. Please tell me that you think miller is anything but a leader, he doesn't throw ppl under the bus, hes throws them on the Bus (meaning the team bus) he never uses names, instead he does what a leader does: Understands his own deficiencies, sees the teams deficiencies. Works on his own issues, encourages others to do the same.

Haven't listened to or read anything about the goalie change last night. (Can barely see right straight right now, !) IMO, Enroth was solid, they gave up 2 many odd man rushes. Lindy putting Miller in was a wake up call for the rest of the team, not Enroth.

I think that is how the majority saw it then and now.

Haven't listened to or read anything about the goalie change last night. (Can barely see right straight right now, !) IMO, Enroth was solid, they gave up 2 many odd man rushes. Lindy putting Miller in was a wake up call for the rest of the team, not Enroth.

Agreed, as a side note he looked really smooth in the third period, almost like saying I got this boys, lets get it done............ :beer:

Agreed, as a side note he looked really smooth in the third period, almost like saying I got this boys, lets get it done............ :beer:

I seem to recall Miller in the Zamboni entrance talking to Rocky Farr about groins when the Flyers hit the post of a wide open, yawning, chasm of a cage. :)

All in all, he was good under little duress.

The change is very interesting to talk about, but I'm not sure what impact it had on the game.

It's interesting that Lindy didn't see it as trying to shock his team, as he said they had played a good game to that point, with a bad two minutes thrown in.

Only Lindy knows what he was thinking.

They won, so it was the right decision.

I seem to recall Miller in the Zamboni entrance talking to Rocky Farr about groins when the Flyers hit the post of a wide open, yawning, chasm of a cage. :)

The change is very interesting to talk about, but I'm not sure what impact it had on the game.

It's interesting that Lindy didn't see it as trying to shock his team, as he said they had played a good game to that point, with a bad two minutes thrown in.

I'm dizzy from this post PA.

I'm going to have to disagree with Lindy then, because I didn't think the Sabres played that well until the third period. Hard to say whether the goalie change had anything to do with that or not..

Actually, I saw it a bit differently. You raised good points earlier, if the Sabres did not get a point last night, and Miller did not play--what would you do tonight? Really really tough situation Leave Enroth in tonight, and what if he fails--disaster leavving the Vezina winner watching. Put in Miller--if he's rusty and gives a couple of bad goals early--disaster-- out of the playoffs . So, last night, when you are already behind and not getting the point you need--put in Miller and see what he gives you. If he's bad, well you find out in a game you are already behind and regroup against Columbus. If he's solid, but you don't get a point, at least you know more for Columbus. And if you put him in and get the point(or more) you made a brilliant decision. Looked at in those terms, given the situation Ruff was facing I think putting in Miller was a no brainer.

Actually, I saw it a bit differently. You raised good points earlier, if the Sabres did not get a point last night, and Miller did not play--what would you do tonight? Really really tough situation Leave Enroth in tonight, and what if he fails--disaster leavving the Vezina winner watching. Put in Miller--if he's rusty and gives a couple of bad goals early--disaster-- out of the playoffs . So, last night, when you are already behind and not getting the point you need--put in Miller and see what he gives you. If he's bad, well you find out in a game you are already behind and regroup against Columbus. If he's solid, but you don't get a point, at least you know more for Columbus. And if you put him in and get the point(or more) you made a brilliant decision. Looked at in those terms, given the situation Ruff was facing I think putting in Miller was a no brainer.

Agreed. Good post and good coaching move by Ruff.

Maybe just still semi-intoxicated. Funny thing is... I remember everything.

Nothing to do with you (probably), but how many of those old alumni left the building last night, sniffed the spring air and wondered, "I wonder if I can still get ass?"

Nothing to do with you (probably), but how many of those old alumni left the building last night, sniffed the spring air and wondered, "I wonder if I can still get ass?"

Based on the paunches and bald heads I saw on TV (with only a few exceptions), I'm not sure they'd want what they could attract.:blush:

Wow. An awesome night. Got to hang out with biodork and her friend and a bunch of my friends; saw a win when all we needed as fans was the OT; the city is full of energy. I'm sure that many people have given analyses of the game above, so I'll try to limit my observations to the following five points:

1. It really is cool meeting people from here in person.

2. hoo-rah

3. Hoo-Rah

4. HOO-RAH

5. YEA!!!!!

Agreed! What an awesome game; so glad I was able to go. My larynx has recovered in time to watch/cheer from my couch tonight -- time to get my drink (back) on. :beer:

How about a bit more detail on the in-person experience last night? That must've been one of the best games to attend in the last 10 years!

Unfortunately I managed to miss the pregame ceremonies since we got stuck in an absurdly long line at the concession stand, but that game was INSANE. First period a little tough to watch, but the beginning of the second got everyone up and yelling, and then all of a sudden it wasn't looking good again after those two quick ones by the Flyers about halfway in. I was on pins and needles the whole third period (think I told Eleven the game was going to give me laryngitis or a heart attack), but holy sh!t when Gerbe scored to tie it, I just about lost my mind. The stress of waiting out the last few minutes to see if they could hold on, and then the ecstasy when they got the puck and killed the clock to clinch a playoff spot, and then the OT winner... good God, I had to remind myself to breathe at times and my throat still hurts from screaming so much, but this is what it's all about as a fan and why I watch the game. Love how they worked in the jersey giveaway announcements, and I thought it was so cool how they brought everyone out to do that on the ice after the game instead of in the locker room or something. Sabres lost the last three games I've gone to in Buffalo, so to be there last night and for such an important win was especially sweet. :thumbsup:

Based on the paunches and bald heads I saw on TV (with only a few exceptions), I'm not sure they'd want what they could attract.:blush:

Considering most if not all of these old codgers are moneyed don't you worry about what they could attract. Men wear beer glasses,women smell money.

Archived