Logo on the dressing room floor

LGR4GM

Sabres logo/crest like the seal in the last crusade  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Sabres Logo/Crest on the floor in the dressing room Sacred and not to be crossed?

• Yes
    • No
    • for players and coahes only
    • for media and guests only

There has been a great deal of discussion about the sacredness of the sabres logo on the dressing room floor lately. Especially since sully sauntered acrossed it. So what do you think? Is it a sacred uncrossable seal like Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade style or are people losing their minds? I think it should be treated with respect but unless you wanna rope is off people will trudge across it on occasion.

I don't get the "sacred-ness" of the team logo on the floor. But back in the day I didn't get it for the UB school seal either. Having said that.........

If the players consider it "sacred" then as a visitor to their room I would respect that. IMO it takes a real douche nozzle to openly disrespect something that someone feels is truly important to them, regardless of the subject matter at hand.

I have no problem with the new Sabres carpet logo being "sacred" and all, but the fact that almost every team in the league has the same "sacred" carpet logo locker room ritual in place makes the whole thing a bit less "sacred" to me.... In other words we're just stealing and implementing the traditions of every other team rather than inventing an original one of our own.

I don't get the "sacred-ness" of the team logo on the floor. But back in the day I didn't get it for the UB school seal either. Having said that.........

It's symbolic. The logo represents the franchise, so you should be respectful of the symbol. It's similar to not letting the flag touch the ground.

If the players consider it "sacred" then as a visitor to their room I would respect that. IMO it takes a real douche nozzle to openly disrespect something that someone feels is truly important to them, regardless of the subject matter at hand.

Agreed.

I have no problem with the new Sabres carpet logo being "sacred" and all, but the fact that almost every team in the league has the same "sacred" carpet logo locker room ritual in place makes the whole thing a bit less "sacred" to me.... In other words we're just stealing and implementing the traditions of every other team rather than inventing an original one of our own.

Every country treats its flag as sacred; does it mean any less to a given country that all others feel the same about theirs?

I agree with this line of thought on the subject. It is after all, the players who dawn the logo on their chests and represent us the fans on the ice. If they feel it is Sacred then it should be respected by all. Go figure that Sullivan would be that person, he is what you called him, a douche nozzle.

you would think douche nozzle would be in the profanity filter lol. Yea it should be treated with respect but I feel like as long as the offender apologizes and isnt a member of the team or organization that its a "hey get off my lawn, you damn kids" moment as opposed to a "Grab your torches and pitchforks boys, we are having bbq journalist tonight!" (say the second one in a redneck accent) I think also if you are awesome enough you get "walk across the logo rights" kinda like a gold star for excellence.... obviously this doesnt apply to douche nozzly journalists. :doh:

you would think douche nozzle would be in the profanity filter lol. Yea it should be treated with respect but I feel like as long as the offender apologizes and isnt a member of the team or organization that its a "hey get off my lawn, you damn kids" moment as opposed to a "Grab your torches and pitchforks boys, we are having bbq journalist tonight!" (say the second one in a redneck accent) I think also if you are awesome enough you get "walk across the logo rights" kinda like a gold star for excellence.... obviously this doesnt apply to douche nozzly journalists. :doh:

$10 says Sully did it on purpose.

PTR

Good call.

It's symbolic. The logo represents the franchise, so you should be respectful of the symbol. It's similar to not letting the flag touch the ground.

Every country treats its flag as sacred; does it mean any less to a given country that all others feel the same about theirs?

Another one.

$10 says Sully did it on purpose.

PTR

Well, he claims he did it accidentally. I find it even below his typical petulant standard to do it intentionally and then lie about it. As reviled as he gets around here, I doubt that he'd consider admitting to stepping on the crest intentionally as the straw that makes him TOO reviled.

Me, I find the whole thing silly (it's very fraternity-esque) but if it helps the players 'bond' then so be it.

I "get it" in the sense that I understand what it represents. I don't "get" how a symbol in the middle of floor came to be something not trod upon. Still, no sense being a jerk about it if someone feels strongly about it.

I "get it" in the sense that I understand what it represents. I don't "get" how a symbol in the middle of floor came to be something not trod upon. Still, no sense being a jerk about it if someone feels strongly about it.

I heard it started with the Sabres equipment staff that have been there for years.

Just what I heard.

I posted this in the schopp thread, but it is just as applicable here:

Schopp and Sully should both be stripped to their undies, given a swirly, and then hung from a coat hook by the band of their tighty whities. It would be a fitting punishment for their disrespect of the Sabres locker room, and simultaneously transport them back to their high school days. Days they spent cowering in fear of the athletes, constantly looking over their shoulder anticipating the next wedgie or dumptruck. They remained dateless throughout high school, due in no small part to their refusal to shower after gym class - they couldn't stand the thought of being naked in front of other guys - probably because they were afraid they would get a chubby.

Seriously - Sully's article and Schopp's stupidity reveal their nerd roots and high school jealousy. Every college, high school and pro team that has a logo on the floor in their locker room has the same tradition - no one walks across it - NO ONE! Odds are Sully did it intentionally to see what the reaction would be. Good for them that they cussed him out. The fact that Goose led the tirade says something about who is a leader in the room. Precious logo, Sully? Really? Guess the chess club didn't have a logo in the locker room. You obviously like sports - you pursued a profession covering them - but at your core you are a failed athlete - not good enough to do more than ride the pines - some jock probably stole your girlfriend, popped her cherry, and sent her crying back to you. Your jealousy shines through in every article you write.

Schopp is in the same boat - protecting his buddy sully - they are so much smarter than the players and management they cover. Jealous fan boys are what they are.

I could see this being a "code" amongst players/coaches/employees, but not the media or other guests. It just seems like the players were being pricks about it because they just blew a game they had in the bag.

PS "Don't walk on the logo" is something the Sabres borrowed from another team when the new carpet was put in the locker room while they were on the extended roadie. It's not some long standing tradition within the organization.

I could see this being a "code" amongst players/coaches/employees, but not the media or other guests. It just seems like the players were being pricks about it because they just blew a game they had in the bag.

PS "Don't walk on the logo" is something the Sabres borrowed from another team when the new carpet was put in the locker room while they were on the extended roadie. It's not some long standing tradition within the organization.

see my post above - it is a tradition with EVERY team that has a logo on the floor - a tradition that many of these players observed in college I am sure, and probably high school before that. My sons have been to hockey camp at Cornell - they get to use the varsity locker room - every year Cornell players make an example out of the one kid stupid enough to step on the logo. If 8 year olds know, Sully and Schopp should, too. After all, they are professional journalists!

stepping on the crest

taro is always so good with the words. people keep calling it a logo. i think it's more than a logo. a logo is something associated with a brand -- like general mills or target. a crest is something that knights (kuh-nig-its) used to bear proudly on their helmet or shield. there's a difference.

if the team wants the crest to be treated with respect and wants to rally around that sentiment, i am all for it.

once more into the breach, dear friends!

it is? just one other team, eh? maybe it's not a tradition within the organization, but with sports in general it certainly is. not just professional--college, high school ... the tradition is pretty much everywhere. just because they just barely got their own carpeted logo doesn't mean they didn't repsect the tradition. now that they do have their own, they respect it and demand that others do the same. there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

If they want to extend this "code" to media/guests then so be it, but how about being more worried about the pride on the ice that goes with wearing that same logo when you put the jersey on before a game.

Any of the players have a problem with going through the motions on some nights when wearing that same logo that they are so proud of on the locker room floor?

Countries don't pay their citizens to be a part of the country. For that matter countries don't trade their citizens when they don't perform up to their expectations. It really is not a strong analogy IMHO.

If they want to extend this "code" to media/guests then so be it, but how about being more worried about the pride on the ice that goes with wearing that same logo when you put the jersey on before a game.

Any of the players have a problem with going through the motions on some nights when wearing that same logo that they are so proud of on the locker room floor?

now *that* right there is truth.

Archived