Logo on the dressing room floor

LGR4GM

Sabres logo/crest like the seal in the last crusade  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Sabres Logo/Crest on the floor in the dressing room Sacred and not to be crossed?

• Yes
    • No
    • for players and coahes only
    • for media and guests only

or an indication of a sea-change* in the core's mentality.

i fail to see the downside in the team's buying into the new pegula/black narrative, and i see tremendous upside.

your point seems to be that this crew hasn't earned the right to act that way. i guess i just don't get that perspective.

*Full fathom five thy father lies;

Of his bones are coral made;

Those are pearls that were his eyes;

Nothing of him that doth fade,

But doth suffer a sea-change

Into something rich and strange.

Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell:

Ding-######.

Hark! now I hear them — Ding-######, bell.

EDIT: check the filter, PA!

Holy cow, can you imagine how much that would cost you in Vegas?

Thank you. I don't know if there's a city in the United States where the fans are more ready to attack the players on their own teams. And it usually comes down to "These guys make too much money to play a game. I have a 'real job' and these guys owe me." And God forbid any Buffalo athletes do something human like have an off game.

Is there any reason an athlete would want to come and play for these fans? The same people who openly say they have no respect for you because you haven't won them a Stanley Cup? Like Buffalo fans are so amazing that earning their respect is a lofty goal that a pro athlete should aspire to?

And, by the way, is there anything more pathetic than the fans who populate the most quiet, tame arena in the NHL complaining about how the players aren't trying hard enough? Our arena sounds like a library and the fans respond more to the jumbotron than the game. But keep complaining about the players and how they aren't living up to Buffalo's incredible expectations. <_<

I wonder how many people are really complaining though. I don't get to hear the local sports talk like a lot of you might, so all I see is the same people finding something new to complain about over and over. It gives me the feeling that this stuff isn't as widespread as it seems. It's just the people who always have to get their word out on every single event that drown out the opinions of many other people.

And PA, I'm not trying to throw you under the bus when I say this, but since you post here more than anyone else, your opinions are going to stick in people's minds a lot quicker than someone like SilverNRed's will.

So yeah, that's my thought on this one. The complaining isn't nearly as widespread as this post makes it seem.

Really now. They have to "earn" our respect? How? By winning a cup? Until then who cares what they think?

I bet if you check the stats a surprising number of NHL teams blew 2 goal leads, and more than a few did it the last 3 minutes of a game. I know the defending Cup champions have had some embarrassing losses this year as well.

But this whole notion that we withhold our respect to a team we are allegedly fans of if absurd. Maybe just as absurd as people who rail against the failings, real and imagined, of this team yet still show up every day posting 20-30-40 posts a day, mostly saying how they are "done" with this team.

Probably the most hilarious aspect of this place is even when we got what what we all said we wanted, an owner that was a fan and do whatever it took to build a winner, we still cry and piss and moan and feel indignant that these "losers" think they deserve our respect. The nerve!

Same as it ever was.

PTR

If Sully was built like Chris Pronger, Gaustad would have STFU.

I've watched these guys loaf, look the other way, turtle, dive, quit (Pegula's words...not mine), excuse, pass out in the street 18 hours before a game, watch their goalie get dry humped, and everything inbetween the past 4 years. I've watched the current GM and Coach for Life defend every move the organization made and tell me it was for the better. I've been told to keep spending my money because this is a Stanley Cup team...I mean a playoff team...I mean I never said they were going to make the playoffs.

Guess what?

If these F'rs want my respect....go out on the ice for 60 minutes, 82 times a year, and drive every member of the opposing team through the boards like they are Jerry Sullivan. If these F'rs want my respect....drive to the net every time like they do when an empty net is staring at them the last minute of the game.

Craig Rivet has been the only player deserving to wear a C the past 4 years. That alone speaks volumes.

The building is still smouldering, yet you want me to go in and lay in bed.

These aren't kids with cancer that need to be protected. They are million dollar athletes representing our city that have failed to show the most BASIC RESPECT, time, and time again. And it looks like most of them are lucky enough to stick around from how it sounds.

As great as the signals from ownership have been regarding fan interaction and experience, they were also just about as alarming in regards to the hockey department. Old Dogs = New Tricks ? The best trick these dogs have is to roll over and play dead.

If Sully was built like Chris Pronger, Gaustad would have STFU.

I've watched these guys loaf, look the other way, turtle, dive, quit (Pegula's words...not mine), excuse, pass out in the street 18 hours before a game, watch their goalie get dry humped, and everything inbetween the past 4 years. I've watched the current GM and Coach for Life defend every move the organization made and tell me it was for the better. I've been told to keep spending my money because this is a Stanley Cup team...I mean a playoff team...I mean I never said they were going to make the playoffs.

Guess what?

If these F'rs want my respect....go out on the ice for 60 minutes, 82 times a year, and drive every member of the opposing team through the boards like they are Jerry Sullivan. If these F'rs want my respect....drive to the net every time like they do when an empty net is staring at them the last minute of the game.

Craig Rivet has been the only player deserving to wear a C the past 4 years. That alone speaks volumes.

The building is still smouldering, yet you want me to go in and lay in bed.

These aren't kids with cancer that need to be protected. They are million dollar athletes representing our city that have failed to show the most BASIC RESPECT, time, and time again. And it looks like most of them are lucky enough to stick around from how it sounds.

As great as the signals from ownership have been regarding fan interaction and experience, they were also just about as alarming in regards to the hockey department. Old Dogs = New Tricks ? The best trick these dogs have is to roll over and play dead.

All I can say is...their loss. :doh:

PTR

I do. I think it's a terrible thing for kids to see.

Exactly! I have no idea how I'd answer the question "Dad, why is that guy on the bench sniffing a little tampon then twitching like a frog a hotplate?" Though my answer would likely use some new launguage I've picked up today from previous posts in this thread and have something to do with someone needing to clean his "douche nozzle"

Exactly! I have no idea how I'd answer the question "Dad, why is that guy on the bench sniffing a little tampon then twitching like a frog a hotplate?" Though my answer would likely use some new launguage I've picked up today from previous posts in this thread and have something to do with someone needing to clean his "douche nozzle"

It's in rare form today.

Thanks for bringing it up, because a couple of times I've seen it at the start of the game and wondered if they have always done so, or it's a new thing, and why the camera would stay on it.

You'd think they could just smell their own gloves for the same effect.

It's in rare form today.

Thanks for bringing it up, because a couple of times I've seen it at the start of the game and wondered if they have always done so, or it's a new thing, and why the camera would stay on it.

LOL "Smell the Glove" That's where we should get our new post goal fight song.. from Spinal Tap.

If Sully (or anyone else) has a problem with the team wanting to defend the crest (which he obviously does by his snarky comments about it), I just have to ask, why does he (or anyone else) follow sports at all? This is exactly what sports is all about. This what these guys have been taught their entire lives. And isn't this why we love sports?

It's in rare form today.

It's all over place in sports lately.

I have no problem with the new Sabres carpet logo being "sacred" and all, but the fact that almost every team in the league has the same "sacred" carpet logo locker room ritual in place makes the whole thing a bit less "sacred" to me.... In other words we're just stealing and implementing the traditions of every other team rather than inventing an original one of our own.

Like Spacho with his pigeon a few years back.

Like Spacho with his pigeon a few years back.

Maybe they can rope off a room and put in carpeting that is checkered with all of the players numbers. Then we can get a live Buffalo as a mascot. Before each game, put the Buffalo in the room, and whomever's number he takes a dump on.....Lindy gives the C to for the night.

Maybe they can rope off a room and put in carpeting that is checkered with all of the players numbers. Then we can get a live Buffalo as a mascot. Before each game, put the Buffalo in the room, and whomever's number he takes a dump on.....Lindy gives the C to for the night.

Isn't that how they select who is captain now? I thought they traded rivet finally cuz they got a new un-constipated buffalo...

I don't get the "sacred-ness" of the team logo on the floor. But back in the day I didn't get it for the UB school seal either. Having said that.........

If the players consider it "sacred" then as a visitor to their room I would respect that. IMO it takes a real douche nozzle to openly disrespect something that someone feels is truly important to them, regardless of the subject matter at hand.

Bingo. This is where the thread should have closed.

It's symbolic. The logo represents the franchise, so you should be respectful of the symbol. It's similar to not letting the flag touch the ground.

Another good post.

$10 says Sully did it on purpose.

PTR

No doubt in my mind.

If they want to extend this "code" to media/guests then so be it, but how about being more worried about the pride on the ice that goes with wearing that same logo when you put the jersey on before a game.

Any of the players have a problem with going through the motions on some nights when wearing that same logo that they are so proud of on the locker room floor?

To me its about changing the culture and mindset. Getting these "fragile little children" to stop playing like entitled spoiled brats and earn the right to wear and defend the crest, and become accountable to each other and to the franchise. It starts with little things like this.

They have to EARN OUR respect......then I will take their wishes with a bit more weight.

If I was in the room, I'd do my best to avoid the crest. But to jump Sullivan is a giant sign of insecurity. You can't take care of business on the ice, so go after the easiest guy off the ice.

I agree to a point - the players have to earn the fans' respect and the right to wear the colors and crest. But I'm sure that some of them were also itching for a reason to go after Sully and that was the last straw for some.

In any case I look at it like this - that is T-Peg's house now. He wants our crest, the crest that Perreault, Martin, Robert, Horton, Gare, Schoenfeld, Playfair, Rayzor and countless others wore and represented, treated with respect by the players and guests. In the dressing room he empowers the players and staff to police themselves and their visitors in terms of respecting the crest. If Sully wants to be an instigator and step on the crest purposely (and I am sure he did) then he should suffer the consequences.

In any case I look at it like this - that is T-Peg's house now. He wants our crest, the crest that Perreault, Martin, Robert, Horton, Gare, Schoenfeld, Playfair, Rayzor and countless others wore and represented, treated with respect by the players and guests. In the dressing room he empowers the players and staff to police themselves and their visitors in terms of respecting the crest. If Sully wants to be an instigator and step on the crest purposely (and I am sure he did) then he should suffer the consequences.

That's exactly it.

Luce, Horton, Hajt, Lorenz, Varada, Ramsay, Ramsey, Hasek, etc.

The USA flag is sacred. Would the flag lay on the floor in the middle of the barracks? If they, the players, considered it to be sacred they should have painted the logo on the ceiling. Many college hockey arenas have this same inane tradition and it does nothing but make the dressing room smaller. Can you say STUPID! I wish Gaustad got this emotional over his lackluster play at times.

Archived