Logo on the dressing room floor

LGR4GM

Sabres logo/crest like the seal in the last crusade  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Sabres Logo/Crest on the floor in the dressing room Sacred and not to be crossed?

• Yes
    • No
    • for players and coahes only
    • for media and guests only

It's symbolic. The logo represents the franchise, so you should be respectful of the symbol. It's similar to not letting the flag touch the ground.

Exactly. To even go beyond that, when i played soccer in high school, we lost a big game in closing minutes. A player walked into the locker room and threw his jersey on the ground. Immediately, the coach got in the players face and told him the logo should never be on the ground. Similar concept to the flag. It's our team, it's who we are, it's never to be on the ground no matter how bad things get. In hockey, most college teams have logos on carpet as well as NHL teams, and the same rule applies. You don't step on it.

Really? Its a pretty common thing not to walk across the logo in a NHL dressing room.

It figures that Sullivan was the culprit here.

And i love how the Buffalo News guys jump to his protection saying Sullivan doesn't travel across the league so he didn't know and wasnt aware you couldnt walk on it. I call major BS. He saw the locker room ticked off and tried to get someone to flip out.

Exactly. To even go beyond that, when i played soccer in high school, we lost a big game in closing minutes. A player walked into the locker room and threw his jersey on the ground. Immediately, the coach got in the players face and told him the logo should never be on the ground. Similar concept to the flag. It's our team, it's who we are, it's never to be on the ground no matter how bad things get. In hockey, most college teams have logos on carpet as well as NHL teams, and the same rule applies. You don't step on it.

There was a huge stink in Montreal about PK Subban dropping the Blue, Blanc et Rouge sweater on the floor.

So should they raise the crest on the rug so it isn't touching the floor? :)

And i love how the Buffalo News guys jump to his protection saying Sullivan doesn't travel across the league so he didn't know and wasnt aware you couldnt walk on it. I call major BS. He saw the locker room ticked off and tried to get someone to flip out.

Yea in college, reporters were never allowed to cross our logo. Freshman paid very dearly for the offense.

So should they raise the crest on the rug so it isn't touching the floor? :)

that's a bit pedantic.

the country's 25th president laid in state in what is now old erie county hall.

post-760-082961100 1300816075_thumb.jpg

no one walks over the seal that is laid into the marble floor that memorializes the site where the casket was placed.

people being the numb nuts that they are, though, the sheriff had to put up a velvet-roped barrier around the seal a few years ago.

maybe it was a local reporter who kept trodding on mckinley's memory.

The team can obviously do whatever they want with it, but it's a pretty big logo in the center of the room and I would think it would be a huge pain to avoid it all the time. The new "tradition" also seems to have created a bunch of unneeded hostility in the locker room. I should think the team has more important things to worry about than if someone steps on their logo. But if that's how they want to do it, then who am I to stop them?

If they play the game with as much zeal as defending the carpet .......

Bingo....

Let's go after a 150 lb reporter who has been in the room 3 times this year.

I take Jim Kelly saying he's found God more seriously than I would one of the Sabres telling me about respect.

Maybe Sully could get me a press pass.

How about the next time I see one of these clowns spit on the bench during the National Anthem, I jump the glass and beat the crap out of them?

OT but, you just reminded me.. anyone else get uneasy at the sight of players huffing smelling salts on the bench before face off? Seems so.. wrong.

Exactly my point earlier in this thread. Where is the pride some of the time when wearing the jersey with this same logo on the front?

It's all tied together - if you foster pride in the crest by not allowing folks to trod on it in the locker room, then maybe the player wearing it on his chest thinks a bit and maybe puts forth a little extra effort. If you look at all the teams in the NHL, the talent level is pretty even (with some notable exceptions like Crosby). But the teams with the big stars don't always win the Cup. Sometimes it's a slightly above average team that works their a$$es off for that logo on their chest. So, there you are...:blink:

It's all tied together - if you foster pride in the crest by not allowing folks to trod on it in the locker room, then maybe the player wearing it on his chest thinks a bit and maybe puts forth a little extra effort. If you look at all the teams in the NHL, the talent level is pretty even (with some notable exceptions like Crosby). But the teams with the big stars don't always win the Cup. Sometimes it's a slightly above average team that works their a$$es off for that logo on their chest. So, there you are...:blink:

Good point.

But we get back to....we've watched the same crew over the past 4 years mail it in time and time again, yet they want to lecture and threaten about a swatch of carpet 3 weeks after Daddy Warbucks comes to town.

They have to EARN OUR respect......then I will take their wishes with a bit more weight.

If I was in the room, I'd do my best to avoid the crest. But to jump Sullivan is a giant sign of insecurity. You can't take care of business on the ice, so go after the easiest guy off the ice.

The next time I see one of these stumblebums drunk off their ass downtown the night before a game, should I rip into them in public for not having any respect for the game? Earn it....

Good point.

But we get back to....we've watched the same crew over the past 4 years mail it in time and time again, yet they want to lecture and threaten about a swatch of carpet 3 weeks after Daddy Warbucks comes to town.

They have to EARN OUR respect......then I will take their wishes with a bit more weight.

:thumbsup:

Good point.

If I was in the room, I'd do my best to avoid the crest. But to jump Sullivan is a giant sign of insecurity. You can't take care of business on the ice, so go after the easiest guy off the ice.

The next time I see one of these stumblebums drunk off their ass downtown the night before a game, should I rip into them in public for not having any respect for the game? Earn it....

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Really now. They have to "earn" our respect? How? By winning a cup? Until then who cares what they think?

I bet if you check the stats a surprising number of NHL teams blew 2 goal leads, and more than a few did it the last 3 minutes of a game. I know the defending Cup champions have had some embarrassing losses this year as well.

But this whole notion that we withhold our respect to a team we are allegedly fans of if absurd. Maybe just as absurd as people who rail against the failings, real and imagined, of this team yet still show up every day posting 20-30-40 posts a day, mostly saying how they are "done" with this team.

Probably the most hilarious aspect of this place is even when we got what what we all said we wanted, an owner that was a fan and do whatever it took to build a winner, we still cry and piss and moan and feel indignant that these "losers" think they deserve our respect. The nerve!

Same as it ever was.

PTR

But to jump Sullivan is a giant sign of insecurity.

or an indication of a sea-change* in the core's mentality.

i fail to see the downside in the team's buying into the new pegula/black narrative, and i see tremendous upside.

your point seems to be that this crew hasn't earned the right to act that way. i guess i just don't get that perspective.

*Full fathom five thy father lies;

Of his bones are coral made;

Those are pearls that were his eyes;

Nothing of him that doth fade,

But doth suffer a sea-change

Into something rich and strange.

Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell:

Ding-######.

Hark! now I hear them — Ding-######, bell.

EDIT: check the filter, PA!

But this whole notion that we withhold our respect to a team we are allegedly fans of if absurd. Maybe just as absurd as people who rail against the failings, real and imagined, of this team yet still show up every day posting 20-30-40 posts a day, mostly saying how they are "done" with this team.

Probably the most hilarious aspect of this place is even when we got what what we all said we wanted, an owner that was a fan and do whatever it took to build a winner, we still cry and piss and moan and feel indignant that these "losers" think they deserve our respect. The nerve!

Same as it ever was.

PTR

Thank you. I don't know if there's a city in the United States where the fans are more ready to attack the players on their own teams. And it usually comes down to "These guys make too much money to play a game. I have a 'real job' and these guys owe me." And God forbid any Buffalo athletes do something human like have an off game.

Is there any reason an athlete would want to come and play for these fans? The same people who openly say they have no respect for you because you haven't won them a Stanley Cup? Like Buffalo fans are so amazing that earning their respect is a lofty goal that a pro athlete should aspire to?

And, by the way, is there anything more pathetic than the fans who populate the most quiet, tame arena in the NHL complaining about how the players aren't trying hard enough? Our arena sounds like a library and the fans respond more to the jumbotron than the game. But keep complaining about the players and how they aren't living up to Buffalo's incredible expectations. <_<

Archived