Pegula presser live thread

PromoTheRobot

5. I also like having an experienced and successful hockey man in Ken Sawyer be part of the management team. He's from Montreal, was CFO of the NHL for 14 years, and was CEO of the Penguins when they built their Cup team and their new arena. Now DR has a good hockey man to trade ideas with -- and the owner has a hockey man (and not just a business guy like TG had in LQ) to consult with when he wants a 2nd opinion on hockey matters.

I'm not so sure how much of that background says he's a hockey guy. He's definitely a finance and business guy though.

My takes and I'm sure they will mirror others':

1) Will spend money on salary when needed, but is also smart enough to avoid cap paralysis.

2) Knows that players have to want to be here and will do what it takes to make it so.

3) Is a fan more than a true hockey guy (the type that knows enough to be hired as, say, a GM or scout), but recognizes the difference and has brought in a hockey guy to run the team (unlike TG having LQ in that spot.)

4) Took the shackles (whatever they were) off of DR and will give him financial support in all areas of the team (scouting, coaching, player experience.) Not crazy about keeping Darcy, but it is possible that with that support, he can do a lot more. If he doesn't, while TP has preached patience, there is a now a hockey guy above Darcy, who should recognize the situation.

5) Nothing is certain in sports or in life, but everything that I heard today has increased my expectations of the team going forward.

I'm not so sure how much of that background says he's a hockey guy. He's definitely a finance and business guy though.

From what i've read, Sawyer is a hockey guy. In the terms of the Pens revival, Mario was the face, the other owner was the money and Sawyer was the smarts.

Ken Black is finance/business.

I could be wrong, though.

My takes and I'm sure they will mirror others':

1) Will spend money on salary when needed, but is also smart enough to avoid cap paralysis.

2) Knows that players have to want to be here and will do what it takes to make it so.

3) Is a fan more than a true hockey guy (the type that knows enough to be hired as, say, a GM or scout), but recognizes the difference and has brought in a hockey guy to run the team (unlike TG having LQ in that spot.)

4) Took the shackles (whatever they were) off of DR and will give him financial support in all areas of the team (scouting, coaching, player experience.) Not crazy about keeping Darcy, but it is possible that with that support, he can do a lot more. If he doesn't, while TP has preached patience, there is a now a hockey guy above Darcy, who should recognize the situation.

5) Nothing is certain in sports or in life, but everything that I heard today has increased my expectations of the team going forward.

+1

Now that I had a chance to listen to the replay, the point I bolded above is in line with what I heard. " To he who much has been given much is expected in return" or something there abouts. Excellant attitude to have and instill in a team moving forward.

And if it was already quittin time I would only have one other thing to say, " Yabba Dabba Do! "

Didn't have an opportunity to catch the presser, but will watch it later. It's been great fun reading this thread, however. Couple of quick thoughts:

-- can't wait to watch the "choke up" moment when Pegs references Perreault

-- completely agree that the '06 loss to Carolina was my lowest moment as a fan (MUCH worse than "no goal")

-- no kneejerk reaction on Regier; going to allow him the benefit of the doubt and watch for results

-- I have a feeling we're going to be a very happy fan base, very soon

Didn't have an opportunity to catch the presser, but will watch it later. It's been great fun reading this thread, however. Couple of quick thoughts:

-- completely agree that the '06 loss to Carolina was my lowest moment as a fan (MUCH worse than "no goal")

-- no kneejerk reaction on Regier; going to allow him the benefit of the doubt and watch for results

eball I am now excited baout the two upcoming games in hated Carolina hopefully Dracy makes some moves that makes this team good enough to stick a stick into the Canes for another year

From what i've read, Sawyer is a hockey guy. In the terms of the Pens revival, Mario was the face, the other owner was the money and Sawyer was the smarts.

QFT

legal both sports and broadcasting along with business more than finance which is why they kept dipofi

Living in the Pitts for the last 19 years I can honestly say these two people had prominent roles in putting the Penquins where they and Mario are today.

I also like him reaching back to the past and bringing in the alumni players. If only they had kept some of their ex players who are helping other teams successfully in management today, 3 come to mind, Luce in player development in Philly, Savard at Pittsburgh and of course Dudley in Atl.

+1

Now that I had a chance to listen to the replay, the point I bolded above is in line with what I heard. " To he who much has been given much is expected in return" or something there abouts. Excellant attitude to have and instill in a team moving forward.

And if it was already quittin time I would only have one other thing to say, " Yabba Dabba Do! "

I'd prefer the word "Giggity!"

I know where everyone's coming from and believe me...it was not easy watching those rednecks enjoy the Cup, knowing that the squad from Buffalo was better. But the lowest time in my Sabres' life was losing 2007 ECF Game 5 vs Ottawa, then losing DB & CD 6 weeks later.

Thanks to everyone for the updates in this thread - thoroughly enjoyed reading the comments throughout a very stressful work day. That said, I'll exercise some cautious optimism (yes, I said that about the Bills' 2010 season). Pegula is saying the right things and it appears as if he's got the plan ready to go, but I'll wait and see how things progress.

And which one rigged back to back lotteries so Pittsburgh could get both Malkin and Crosby?

And which one rigged back to back lotteries so Pittsburgh could get both Malkin and Crosby?

Well not that we want to bring back up the JFK assassination Senator but you might look at the one with the 14 years of NHL league work prior to joining the club.

Well, it was a great 1st impression.

He (partially) answered the Q's I had, and he gave more info than I'd expected.

I love that he said he's going to increase the scouting budget - both personnel & the video side of it. I also love that he's planning on making the amenities for the players top notch. He will also bring in additional 'development' coaches.

And I loved the quotes about Perreault and (paraphrasing here) 'if I want to make money, I'll drill a gas well.'

And the question about whether Darcy can get it done when he isn't dealing w/ significant constraints will finally be answered. I'm not certain that he can, but he's shown enough in the past to make me believe he could.

All in all, it was a good day. Clearly the Pittsburgh influence is blowing through the franchise. Anyone who has ever seen the video on the Pitt arena and how they cater to the players has to feel good about the team's ability to attract talent.

I'm concerned for the long haul though that the man knows he can't be competitive and make money at the same time. What does the Commish have to be thinking when his shiny new owner admits that owning the Sabres is a money losing proposition?

All in all, it was a good day. Clearly the Pittsburgh influence is blowing through the franchise. Anyone who has ever seen the video on the Pitt arena and how they cater to the players has to feel good about the team's ability to attract talent.

I'm concerned for the long haul though that the man knows he can't be competitive and make money at the same time. What does the Commish have to be thinking when his shiny new owner admits that owning the Sabres is a money losing proposition?

I didn't hear him say that he can't make money putting a winner on the ice. I heard him say that he doesn't HAVE to make money while putting a winner on the ice.

The difference is subtle but huge.

I didn't hear him say that he can't make money putting a winner on the ice. I heard him say that he doesn't HAVE to make money while putting a winner on the ice.

The difference is subtle but huge.

Plus I think it also shows that he understands he may have to spend and lose money to win and than start making money again when he has a perennial winner and stanley cup champion

I know where everyone's coming from and believe me...it was not easy watching those rednecks enjoy the Cup, knowing that the squad from Buffalo was better. But the lowest time in my Sabres' life was losing 2007 ECF Game 5 vs Ottawa, then losing DB & CD 6 weeks later.

Thanks to everyone for the updates in this thread - thoroughly enjoyed reading the comments throughout a very stressful work day. That said, I'll exercise some cautious optimism (yes, I said that about the Bills' 2010 season). Pegula is saying the right things and it appears as if he's got the plan ready to go, but I'll wait and see how things progress.

Please don't ever compare the state of the Sabres today to the Bills 2010 season.

eball I am now excited baout the two upcoming games in hated Carolina hopefully Dracy makes some moves that makes this team good enough to stick a stick into the Canes for another year

I hear you there, man. I live in Jacksonville, NC so whenever the Sabres come to NC I'm always in attendance helping to reduce their home ice advantage.

Only nine more days until the Pegula crazed Sabre fan base brings a raping and pillaging frenzy upon the Triangle the likes of which has never been seen before, F the Canes!

I wonder if we can get Pegs to come along for the pillaging?

I'd gladly lend him my mace and battle axe! I think he would love what he sees from Sabres fans in Carolina. I've probably heard the let's go Buffalo and the one, two, three, etc. we want X chant more at Sabres games in Carolina than at HSBC the past few years.

Only nine more days until the Pegula crazed Sabre fan base brings a raping and pillaging frenzy upon the Triangle the likes of which has never been seen before, F the Canes!

The beautiful thing is that I was all set to buy my tickets to the March 3 game, when my wife called and told me her boss offered us tickets (gratis) to go with him. They are very good seats, and he's a huge Canes' fan.

Just wait 'til he gets a load of me, decked out in Sabres gear.

I'm envisioning a scene reminiscent of the Seinfeld episode in which Elaine won't take off her Orioles cap while sitting in the Yankees owner's box.

I'd gladly lend him my mace and battle axe! I think he would love what he sees from Sabres fans in Carolina. I've probably heard the let's go Buffalo and the one, two, three, etc. we want X chant more at Sabres games in Carolina than at HSBC the past few years.

I commented in other threads how lifeless HSBC seems these days. Maybe the rowdies left buffalo and maybe they need some hot cheerleaders at HSBC

The beautiful thing is that I was all set to buy my tickets to the March 3 game, when my wife called and told me her boss offered us tickets (gratis) to go with him. They are very good seats, and he's a huge Canes' fan.

Just wait 'til he gets a load of me, decked out in Sabres gear.

I'm envisioning a scene reminiscent of the Seinfeld episode in which Elaine won't take off her Orioles cap while sitting in the Yankees owner's box.

:lol: Nice. My neighbor got some company tickets and asked me to go as well, it's me with three Canes fans. I'm not sure where I'm sitting but he told me they were good seats.

be careful so they dont accuse you of behaving badly. I am waiting till Darcy makes some moves before I buy tickets

Yeah, it's been a few years since they handed out those "Fan Code of Conduct" cards to Sabres fans at the RBC. I'll throw it in their face if they do that again, might as well help perpetuate the sterotype!

Archived