Pegula presser live thread

PromoTheRobot

In watching again last night, I thought the interplay between Pegula and Bettman was interesting, and pretty funny at times.

Terry seemed to be acting like there might be a problem if he said he didn't care about making money or said he wasn't going to raise ticket prices.

Terry mentioned "hockey related revenue" and how the league needs this revenue.

Does the NHL care if a franchise owner loses tons of money? Do other owners? Are the Sabres obligated to bring in so much revenue?

In watching again last night, I thought the interplay between Pegula and Bettman was interesting, and pretty funny at times.

Terry seemed to be acting like there might be a problem if he said he didn't care about making money or said he wasn't going to raise ticket prices.

Terry mentioned "hockey related revenue" and how the league needs this revenue.

Does the NHL care if a franchise owner loses tons of money? Do other owners? Are the Sabres obligated to bring in so much revenue?

Gary has a franchise to unload in Atlanta. He doesn't need a new owner admitting that he expects to lose money even operating successfully.

PTR

Gary has a franchise to unload in Atlanta. He doesn't need a new owner admitting that he expects to lose money even operating successfully.

PTR

The Sabres will almost certainly lose money under the Pegula approach, no?

Is that going to be a problem with Count Bettula?

Pegula and Black were on WGR just now. Jeremy tried to very carefully ask, basically, what was the plan in Pittsburgh besides sucking and getting lucky.

Honestly, there was no answer for that.

Anyone know if any of these guys were around the first time Pittsburgh sucked and then got lucky?

The Sabres will almost certainly lose money under the Pegula approach, no?

Is that going to be a problem with Count Bettula?

If I were Bettman, I'd be doing everything in my power to ready a team in Hamilton, Winnepeg, Quebec, Toronto II....while preparing to stop a pending massacre in the south. The longer he fights this, the more violent the league downfall when it hits.

Why are they almost certain to lose money?

Well, I take it the margins have been pretty thin. The Sabres might have been making some money, but not a lot.

If Pegula is talking about pumping millions into the non-cap hockey side, and revenues are pretty close to being maxed out (he said he doesn't want to raise ticket prices), what does that add up to?

Then again, if the product is better, revenues could increase in other areas.

I don't care if they lose a billion a year. My thought is whether Bettman cares and could the league somehow tamp down Pegula's plans if they're too outrageous.

Well, I take it the margins have been pretty thin. The Sabres might have been making some money, but not a lot.

If Pegula is talking about pumping millions into the non-cap hockey side, and revenues are pretty close to being maxed out (he said he doesn't want to raise ticket prices), what does that add up to?

Then again, if the product is better, revenues could increase in other areas.

I don't care if they lose a billion a year. My thought is whether Bettman cares and could the league somehow tamp down Pegula's plans if they're too outrageous.

Yeah, I'm not sure how thin the margins have been. And even if he hires 30 scouts at $50,000 per year each, that's $1.5M. Add in some playoff revenues, increased merchandise sales, and the inevitable ticket price increase (I don't care what he said; it will happen immediately after the next time the Sabres advance beyond the first round, if not sooner), and I think he'll do ok.

And I don't think the league could penalize them for not being profitable year-to-year; nor would it necessarily want to. As I've said numerous times, and as Tommy G. just demonstrated, the value in sports team ownership is the long-term capital gain on the sale, not the year-to-year profit and loss. It's more like real estate than like retail.

Why are they almost certain to lose money?

TP made it pretty clear that he is going to throw money at the Sabres and that he doesn't care if they lose money.

I think the following approximates his thought process on spending money/losing money on the Sabres:

1. he loves the Sabres as much as anyone here

2. he has FOUR BILLION DOLLARS to play with

3. even if the team loses $10MM per year for 30 years, he will still have THREE POINT SEVEN BILLION DOLLARS to play with

I say again: this guy is a gift from heaven.

TP made it pretty clear that he is going to throw money at the Sabres and that he doesn't care if they lose money.

I think the following approximates his thought process on spending money/losing money on the Sabres:

3. even if the team loses $10MM per year for 30 years, he will still have THREE POINT SEVEN BILLION DOLLARS to play with

Oh, I agree with all of that; I just don't think it's a certainty that the team WILL lost money just because it CAN afford to lose money.

Plus if he has 4.3B and gets say 1% on his investments he aint hurting if he loses 40M a year

You go girl!

This guy is pulling down $100 million a year in interest at worst. He loses $10 million a year on the Sabres, writes off 4 of it....that's 6% of his income a year. To put that in perspective, a blue collar guy making $30K a year who owns 2 season tickets in the 300 level.......$22x41x2 = $1804/30000 = ........you guessed it...6%.

Time to get giddy.

Also, Pegula has to be careful to say he won't be at the games all the time "because of family"......for the simple reason he has $25 million reasons a year to maintain his primary home in Florida. Same reason Golisano bailed, no income tax. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pegula in town and on the down low more than he lets on. Maybe buy a house on Nottingham in a trust and do that little shuttle thing. Hey Pegs, it's all cool......we won't tell the IRS boogeymen.

Out of respect for my dear friend, I will not point out the different tune you're singing now. :lol:

You go girl!

This guy is pulling down $100 million a year in interest at worst. He loses $10 million a year on the Sabres, writes off 4 of it....that's 6% of his income a year. To put that in perspective, a blue collar guy making $30K a year who owns 2 season tickets in the 300 level.......$22x41x2 = $1804/30000 = ........you guessed it...6%.

Time to get giddy.

Also, Pegula has to be careful to say he won't be at the games all the time "because of family"......for the simple reason he has $25 million reasons a year to maintain his primary home in Florida. Same reason Golisano bailed, no income tax. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pegula in town and on the down low more than he lets on. Maybe buy a house on Nottingham in a trust and do that little shuttle thing. Hey Pegs, it's all cool......we won't tell the IRS boogeymen.

I read all this stuff and I really wonder why he can't make my car and student loans disappear while he's at it. Come on Pegs, show me that you really are the chosen one.

I read all this stuff and I really wonder why he can't make my car and student loans disappear while he's at it. Come on Pegs, show me that you really are the chosen one.

Are you kidding? He probably drives a 2004 Buick LaSabre himself!

I think his family is amazing long term news for the city. It sounds like he is handing off big projects to his wife, and I think her familiarity with the area may expedite some benefits. I mean, how nice would it be to come back to Buffalo someday and do your research because UB/Roswell is able to flourish? How about looking into a long-term partnership with Niagara university to expand or rebuild Dwyer arena to 6,000 to serve as a multipurpose College/AHL/Junior arena where you can keep your prospects local? Philly used to have their AHL team play next door. Not to mention little gestures to charity that turn out big.

If you watch both Pegula and Black yesterday, they were taking some not so veiled shots at TG/LQ. It was refreshing to see where they are coming from. Sure, they are going to throw a little shine out there for their own cause, but even today...Black was honest saying that the excitement from new ownership alone is going to make good at the box office for the team. This is the kind of thing Quinn would connive behind closed doors, but Black just telegraphed it to the public. Thinking out loud like that is goodwill in my opinion.

Good times. The only clarification I would like from Pegula though is what part of not having patience is having the same tandem in control for 13 years? That is the only scary part about yesterday. All-in-all I'll take it....but I got me a shiny new Ferrari and the last thing I want is a restrictor on it.

Out of respect for my dear friend, I will not point out the different tune you're singing now. :lol:

I appreciate the kind words, but I don't think the tune is different. I don't think we or any other team's fans have any right to EXPECT an owner to lose $10MM per year. It is the owner's money and his right to do with it as he pleases. Now, if the owner WANTS to do it -- that's fantastic. I'll be happy to drive around in my free Mercedes. I just don't feel entitled to it.

Are you kidding? He probably drives a 2004 Buick LaSabre himself!

I think his family is amazing long term news for the city. It sounds like he is handing off big projects to his wife, and I think her familiarity with the area may expedite some benefits. I mean, how nice would it be to come back to Buffalo someday and do your research because UB/Roswell is able to flourish? How about looking into a long-term partnership with Niagara university to expand or rebuild Dwyer arena to 6,000 to serve as a multipurpose College/AHL/Junior arena where you can keep your prospects local? Philly used to have their AHL team play next door. Not to mention little gestures to charity that turn out big.

If you watch both Pegula and Black yesterday, they were taking some not so veiled shots at TG/LQ. It was refreshing to see where they are coming from. Sure, they are going to throw a little shine out there for their own cause, but even today...Black was honest saying that the excitement from new ownership alone is going to make good at the box office for the team. This is the kind of thing Quinn would connive behind closed doors, but Black just telegraphed it to the public. Thinking out loud like that is goodwill in my opinion.

Good times. The only clarification I would like from Pegula though is what part of not having patience is having the same tandem in control for 13 years? That is the only scary part about yesterday. All-in-all I'll take it....but I got me a shiny new Ferrari and the last thing I want is a restrictor on it.

Good post. I agree on everything, especially the honesty part. I don't think LQ was quite as bad as some have made him out to be, but there was definitely a credibility gap with him.

I also think DR and LR will surprise you and keeping them will turn out to have been a good decision.

I also think DR and LR will surprise you and keeping them will turn out to have been a good decision.

Here's the thing......it's like when you go to the SPCA and adopt a dog that is 8 years old but has lived it's entire life in a puppy mill. Even with it's newfound freedom, it really doesn't know HOW, to be a dog. It will take months if not years to get it to become socialized, potty train it, lose it's nervousness.....and some will never get over the experience. That to me, is what we have with the current roster. And even though there is a new owner, seeing Lindy and Darcy every day is only going to hinder those dogs that are capable from coming out of their shell.

If he really plans on keeping the duo here long term, we need a roster purge. It isn't common sense to do otherwise. Pumping money into R+D pays out years from now. We are already close enough to the cap to evaluate Regier on his management.

I'm a little nervous that nostalgia may rear it's ugly head on this one.

Here's the thing......it's like when you go to the SPCA and adopt a dog that is 8 years old but has lived it's entire life in a puppy mill. Even with it's newfound freedom, it really doesn't know HOW, to be a dog. It will take months if not years to get it to become socialized, potty train it, lose it's nervousness.....and some will never get over the experience. That to me, is what we have with the current roster. And even though there is a new owner, seeing Lindy and Darcy every day is only going to hinder those dogs that are capable from coming out of their shell.

If he really plans on keeping the duo here long term, we need a roster purge. It isn't common sense to do otherwise. Pumping money into R+D pays out years from now. We are already close enough to the cap to evaluate Regier on his management.

I'm a little nervous that nostalgia may rear it's ugly head on this one.

Thank you. It feels like grownups are starting to talk. I just hope Mike Schopp returns to earth for his interview this afternoon.

When Darcy said he wanted to "responsibly" seize the opportunity, the word responsibly jumped right out. Same old dog.

Pegula is emerging, in my mind, as a real softie. Nothing wrong with that. He'll score points with his people for being loyal. He said on the radio this morning maybe all this team needs is a little enthusiasm -- and less criticism from the mean old Buffalo media. He seems very naive. Again, that's fine. But the key is whether he has strong people around him who are going to stand up to him when it's time for Lindy and Darcy to go. So far, we have a guy who most recently ran a TV network, a former league finance guy who's been retired and one of the old Golisano Guard.

People talk about Craig Patrick or some other hockey guy being added. Added where? What title? There's already one level too many IMHO. The president should be a hockey guy.

Listen, I really want this to work. I'll trust in the men who've been put in place, but question things.

Oh yeah, I'll also accept the idea that Darcy and Lindy have earned one final chance to prove themselves.

But I suspect that even if the team falls well short of the goal the next two years, Pegula will still not be inclined to fire Lindy. Darcy maybe.

Archived