Pegula presser live thread

PromoTheRobot

Thank you. It feels like grownups are starting to talk. I just hope Mike Schopp returns to earth for his interview this afternoon.

When Darcy said he wanted to "responsibly" seize the opportunity, the word responsibly jumped right out. Same old dog.

Pegula is emerging, in my mind, as a real softie. Nothing wrong with that. He'll score points with his people for being loyal. He said on the radio this morning maybe all this team needs is a little enthusiasm -- and less criticism from the mean old Buffalo media. He seems very naive. Again, that's fine. But the key is whether he has strong people around him who are going to stand up to him when it's time for Lindy and Darcy to go. So far, we have a guy who most recently ran a TV network, a former league finance guy who's been retired and one of the old Golisano Guard.

People talk about Craig Patrick or some other hockey guy being added. Added where? What title? There's already one level too many IMHO. The president should be a hockey guy.

Listen, I really want this to work. I'll trust in the men who've been put in place, but question things.

Oh yeah, I'll also accept the idea that Darcy and Lindy have earned one final chance to prove themselves.

But I suspect that even if the team falls well short of the goal the next two years, Pegula will still not be inclined to fire Lindy. Darcy maybe.

That "responsibly" jumped out at me, too. The first thing I thought of was "Connolly -- extension?"

But looking at the bright side, even if Pegula is a softie, he brought in a couple of veteran execs who might not be quite as sentimental. It's been said Black and Sawyer are here to carry out Pegula's vision. That vision doesn't sound like the status quo to me. IMO, he brought them in because he trusts their judgment and believes they can repeat their experience in Pittsburgh here in Buffalo.

I also think that Pegula's endorsement of Darcy didn't fall into the category of a "ringing" endorsement and was nowhere near as enthusiastic as his comments about Lindy.

I might be reading between the lines here, but I think Darcy has a lot to prove to the new management team. I base this on nothing more than my workplace experiences; seeing new managers come in, say all the "right" things, then proceed to rip folks a new one for not living up to the new managers' expectations and install their own people.

Perhaps Darcy simply earned a reprieve because the GM Pegula wants isn't available. But that's probably just wishful thinking on my part.

That "responsibly" jumped out at me, too. The first thing I thought of was "Connolly -- extension?"

But looking at the bright side, even if Pegula is a softie, he brought in a couple of veteran execs who might not be quite as sentimental. It's been said Black and Sawyer are here to carry out Pegula's vision. That vision doesn't sound like the status quo to me. IMO, he brought them in because he trusts their judgment and believes they can repeat their experience in Pittsburgh here in Buffalo.

I also think that Pegula's endorsement of Darcy didn't fall into the category of a "ringing" endorsement and was nowhere near as enthusiastic as his comments about Lindy.

I might be reading between the lines here, but I think Darcy has a lot to prove to the new management team. I base this on nothing more than my workplace experiences; seeing new managers come in, say all the "right" things, then proceed to rip folks a new one for not living up to the new managers' expectations and install their own people.

Perhaps Darcy simply earned a reprieve because the GM Pegula wants isn't available. But that's probably just wishful thinking on my part.

I agree with this. He sounded like a real fan of Lindy. Darcy,not so much. Lets face it. Pegs has seen with his own eyes how capable Regier is at blowing valuable cap space on the wrong players. The connolly extension, pomms contract,yada yada yada. There were certainly no hand cuffs on when he signed those players to those contracts. I'm absolutely giddy about the new owner and the dawn of a new era for sabres hockey but I still hold out hope that a new g.m. isn't that far into the future for this club. Times a wastin.

Met him late afternoon / early evening today. Very nice guy; VERY humble; seemed that he wasn't used to a lot of attention from strangers (Kim was there, as well, and damn, she is beautiful in person, too). Kind of the opposite of Tommy G that way. On the other hand, he didn't have the "Ottawa delenda est" in his eyes, like I wanted.

Oh, and: Ottawa delenda est.

Met him late afternoon / early evening today. Very nice guy; VERY humble; seemed that he wasn't used to a lot of attention from strangers (Kim was there, as well, and damn, she is beautiful in person, too). Kind of the opposite of Tommy G that way. On the other hand, he didn't have the "Ottawa delenda est" in his eyes, like I wanted.

Oh, and: Ottawa delenda est.

You're saying OSP isn't beautiful in person?

Archived