Trade deadline? Are the Sabres buyers or sellers?

PromoTheRobot

he will make a couple of minor, "Blue light special" moves in the clearance isle of the league and then hold a presser at the end talking about how there just weren't any deals to be made this year and how they all like the direction the team is going in and how players are expected to pick it up for the stretch run now. He will also say that he was shocked at the market this year and how things went down.

Since it seems more and more likely that Darcy will finish out the season, this deadline will be a real test of whether he was held back by Quinn. If this same crap comes out of his mouth, then either the new owner is also controlling him or he really has been doing it himself.

Since it seems more and more likely that Darcy will finish out the season, this deadline will be a real test of whether he was held back by Quinn. If this same crap comes out of his mouth, then either the new owner is also controlling him or he really has been doing it himself.

The new owner provided a list of players not to trade and a dollar amount not to exceed in terms of new financial commitments, so... isn't Regier being controlled by this guy too?

The new owner provided a list of players not to trade and a dollar amount not to exceed in terms of new financial commitments, so... isn't Regier being controlled by this guy too?

I heard about the "short list" of players Pegula said were untouchable but I have heard nothing about financial constraints after Pegulas acquisition. It sounds more like he told old Tommy boy that he wasnt allowed to resign a bunch of players or things of that nature. On Tuesday Pegula is going to let us all know what the sabres will be. They should be sellers because the market is stupid high and after last night I can not think of a reason to keep connolly on this team. You do not want rentals then fine, trade him for picks but don't just waste his or anyone elses value so we can limp into the 7/8th seed and have philly or whomever eliminate us in 5-6 games. If Regier continues to sit on his hands after another new owner comes to town then it is clearly his lazy gutless approach to how to manage a team. Honestly if Pegula just keeps him around we might have an idea of if this new owner really does care as much as he says. FIRE DARCY NOW! and SELL the Garbage at the deadline!

Limited maybe but not controlled.

He has to work to figure out what he can do with what he has got. Given his direction, he should be on the phone all day everyday looking for that deal that fits the limits he has been given.

Here is what is obviously lost on Darcy, you can make a trade to shake up your roster, send a message.

Are they really going to get rid of/fire the coach now ?

Does Geico save you 15% or more on your car Insurance ?

Whatta you live under a rock ? ;)

I heard about the "short list" of players Pegula said were untouchable but I have heard nothing about financial constraints after Pegulas acquisition. It sounds more like he told old Tommy boy that he wasnt allowed to resign a bunch of players or things of that nature. On Tuesday Pegula is going to let us all know what the sabres will be. They should be sellers because the market is stupid high and after last night I can not think of a reason to keep connolly on this team. You do not want rentals then fine, trade him for picks but don't just waste his or anyone elses value so we can limp into the 7/8th seed and have philly or whomever eliminate us in 5-6 games. If Regier continues to sit on his hands after another new owner comes to town then it is clearly his lazy gutless approach to how to manage a team. Honestly if Pegula just keeps him around we might have an idea of if this new owner really does care as much as he says. FIRE DARCY NOW! and SELL the Garbage at the deadline!

I totally agree!!!

Not to pick nits, but dumping Connolly,.. is significant.

I can't believe I am going to agree with deluca, but why? He is a shell of himself, and won't be missed. His defensive lapses are costing us goals, and he is useless on face-offs. We won't get anything too significant back. At best a first. Maybe a second and a low level prospect. We certainly won't be getting a key piece back.

So I agree with deluca, why is moving Connolly significant? As I finish typing this Torres just scored his 12th goal of the season. That is significantly more than tiny tim. I rest my case.

I can't believe I am going to agree with deluca, but why? He is a shell of himself, and won't be missed. His defensive lapses are costing us goals, and he is useless on face-offs. We won't get anything too significant back. At best a first. Maybe a second and a low level prospect. We certainly won't be getting a key piece back.

So I agree with deluca, why is moving Connolly significant? As I finish typing this Torres just scored his 12th goal of the season. That is significantly more than tiny tim. I rest my case.

I don't care about getting anything back. I just want him off the Sabres. Everything you mentioned about him was a negative and you were describing our top center. How is getting rid of him not significant. It's addition by subtraction.

Out with the old and in with the new. He personifies all that is "The Old". He plays the smallest 6'1" 190LB game of any player out there. Also, I just can't wait to watch a Sabres team that he isn't on. To me, that's significant.

I don't care about getting anything back. I just want him off the Sabres. Everything you mentioned about him was a negative and you were describing our top center. How is getting rid of him not significant. It's addition by subtraction.

Out with the old and in with the new. He personifies all that is "The Old". He plays the smallest 6'1" 190LB game of any player out there. Also, I just can't wait to watch a Sabres team that he isn't on. To me, that's significant.

That makes sense.

When Regier is gone, hopefully soon, his failures in regards to Tim Connolly will greatly outweigh any positives he accomplished as GM of the Sabres. The last Connolly extension was just inexcusable.

Exactly, when can we ever say that with Regier at the helm, the Sabres have actually been "Buyers" or "Sellers"?

he will make a couple of minor, "Blue light special" moves in the clearance isle of the league and then hold a presser at the end talking about how there just weren't any deals to be made this year and how they all like the direction the team is going in and how players are expected to pick it up for the stretch run now. He will also say that he was shocked at the market this year and how things went down.

The Trade deadline as a Sabres fan is like a welfare christmas in an upper class suburban neighborhood. All the other kids/teams fans are running around showing off all their new toys/players "Santa"/their teams GM brought them, while the poor kids/Sabres fans sit at hope trying to look excited and happy that their parents/Darcy Regier got them Socks and Underwear

Or maybe that's just what it seems like when one or two teams make a deal to acquire a player. This trade deadline stuff is way over hyped

That makes sense.

When Regier is gone, hopefully soon, his failures in regards to Tim Connolly will greatly outweigh any positives he accomplished as GM of the Sabres. The last Connolly extension was just inexcusable.

You mean like drafting a vezina goalie, drafting a rookie of the year, trading for Brier and Drury and stocking the pond with a whole bunch of up and coming players?

Let the Darcy debate begin! I think if he leaves the guy--or gal?- who takes over will be walking into a fantastic situation and if the team wins the cup in the next three years Darcy will deserve a lot of credit if his players are still the core of this team

You mean like drafting a vezina goalie, drafting a rookie of the year, trading for Brier and Drury and stocking the pond with a whole bunch of up and coming players?

Let the Darcy debate begin! I think if he leaves the guy--or gal?- who takes over will be walking into a fantastic situation and if the team wins the cup in the next three years Darcy will deserve a lot of credit if his players are still the core of this team

We have always had up and coming players. The only problem is that they either came and went, or got hit by a bus before they arrived.

Curious and serious - what makes you say this? Other than dumping Connolly and maybe moving Montador, I really don't think anything of any significance will take place. Absent moving a guy like Staff or Pommers, we aren't getting anything of any significance back. I just don't see Darcy getting all Burke like just because Pegs is in town.

How would trading Connolly or Montador for picks be any less significant as any of the recent moves Toronto has made?

Left the team?

I didn't necessarily mean that, but Pialle and MacArthur come to mind.

Even after Darcy's gone he leaves us with the promise of the future. We've been sold the promise of "the future" far too long by him. I just find it too funny that now, this is what BS (teehee) says his legacy will be. I wish he would just leave us with a good team.

We have always had up and coming players. The only problem is that they either came and went, or got hit by a bus before they arrived.

This time is different. Many of the up and comers are already making contributions. Darcy has put together a pretty good core. The next gm should be very pleased with what he is starting with. Or do you think the organization is totally rotten through and through or something?

This time is different. Many of the up and comers are already making contributions. Darcy has put together a pretty good core. The next gm should be very pleased with what he is starting with. Or do you think the organization is totally rotten through and through or something?

...and Pominville scored the game winner in overtime...

- A Vezina winning goalie with his own thread here of fans debating if last year was more of a fluke year for him, and questioning what the Sabres could get for him in a trade

- A Rookie of the year who is in a sophomore slump and is looking like the reason for his great season last year was more to do with having an underrated defence partner. He was also drafted in the top 10 of the draft, it gets much easier to pick a rookie of the year when you get to make picks in the top 10.

- trading for Briere and Drury and then letting them walk for absolutly nothing. The guy that he spent the most time negotiating with has been invisible since being shown the door, while the other guy (who was almost begging the team just to make him an offer before the FA period) hyas been a big part of the Flyers.

- The pond in most teams is fully stocked with plenty of potential stars. Buffalos pond has been stocked since the lockout with guys that are supposed to become the "core" of a Cup contendor, and yet the best we end up with is Roy and Pomminsteinstreaky guys who would struggle being top line guys on most teams

Darcy can't be shown the door fast enough, the Sabres have had plenty of chances as Cup contendors to do something, but he won't make that move that may put them over the top because it could cost them a small piece in the future, or he won't make a move it it doesn't involve the possibility of him looking like a genius compared to other GMs

- A Rookie of the year who is in a sophomore slump and is looking like the reason for his great season last year was more to do with having an underrated defence partner. He was also drafted in the top 10 of the draft, it gets much easier to pick a rookie of the year when you get to make picks in the top 10.

12th

And?

That's it?

Talk about bs

If you don't get it, then you're not going to get it, because you don't want to get it. This team is no better or worse off than they ever have been in regards to their "up and coming" players. They are also no better or worse off than any other team in the league in regards to their "up and coming" players. Darcy has been touting his "up and coming" players as the answer to the Sabres problems his entire stay here, and now you say that that is going to be his legacy. I guess you're right in one aspect, Darcy's legacy will be him talking about "up and coming" players that never panned out.

- A Vezina winning goalie with his own thread here of fans debating if last year was more of a fluke year for him, and questioning what the Sabres could get for him in a trade

- trading for Briere and Drury and then letting them walk for absolutly nothing. The guy that he spent the most time negotiating with has been invisible since being shown the door, while the other guy (who was almost begging the team just to make him an offer before the FA period) hyas been a big part of the Flyers.

- The pond in most teams is fully stocked with plenty of potential stars. Buffalos pond has been stocked since the lockout with guys that are supposed to become the "core" of a Cup contendor, and yet the best we end up with is Roy and Pomminsteinstreaky guys who would struggle being top line guys on most teams

Darcy can't be shown the door fast enough, the Sabres have had plenty of chances as Cup contendors to do something, but he won't make that move that may put them over the top because it could cost them a small piece in the future, or he won't make a move it it doesn't involve the possibility of him looking like a genius compared to other GMs

I agree.

If you don't get it, then you're not going to get it, because you don't want to get it. This team is no better or worse off than they ever have been in regards to their "up and coming" players. They are also no better or worse off than any other team in the league in regards to their "up and coming" players. Darcy has been touting his "up and coming" players as the answer to the Sabres problems his entire stay here, and now you say that that is going to be his legacy. I guess you're right in one aspect, Darcy's legacy will be him talking about "up and coming" players that never panned out.

And I agree with this. When other GM'S start talking about how you can't make a deal with Regier and about how he overvalues his players abilities then you know he is the one who has handcuffed this organization in its ability to move forward. Overpaying Pomms and Tiny Tim are a small example of his bad judgement. Add to that his inability to make player transactions and his fear to set the market while he waits for the market to set itself and we can't be rid of his incompetence quickly enough.

Archived