Trade deadline? Are the Sabres buyers or sellers?

PromoTheRobot

Per Spector

CBC.CA: Elliotte Friedman reported he’s heard mixed opinions about Colorado’s Paul Stastny about his future with Avs, as some feel management regrets that big contract he’s getting while others feel he won’t be dealt. They’re also targeting a young goalie (it’s believed they like LA’s Jonathan Bernier and Vancouver Cory Schneider). It was thought they also liked Columbus’ Steve Mason but that proved to be incorrect. They’ll also likely trade defenseman John-Michael Liles. Buffalo and Toronto are reportedly interested and supposedly on his list of preferred destinations…

Hmmmm, Avs want a young goalie? I wonder if Enroth is too young for them? And what might it take to pull Stasny from them?

I'm not sure what to think about John-Michael Liles. Lots of points, not much defence.

Per Spector

Hmmmm, Avs want a young goalie? I wonder if Enroth is too young for them? And what might it take to pull Stasny from them?

I'm not sure what to think about John-Michael Liles. Lots of points, not much defence.

30 is still young for a goalie.

But part of the deal is besides Miller they also have to take Lalime.

30 is still young for a goalie.

But part of the deal is besides Miller they also have to take Lalime.

I think Lalime will be shown the door much like Rivet. No need to keep him around if you can't play him. Not much of the season left so it shouldn;t hurt to keep Enroth with the team.

Paul Stastny anyone? 26 years old, potential to be a point a game player in the NHL. A little more physical than the average Sabres forward. The price tag is high at $6.6 mil. But it is at least a fixed cost for the next three seasons. The morning show was pretty dismissive of the idea. If Colorado is willing to move him? IMO, the Sabres need to be first inline. I can see a package including Stafford and Sekera possibly getting the deal done.

I am anti JM Liles, he doesn't play in his own end. If we wanted a player like JM Liles we could have picked up MA Bergeron in Dec. for a lot less money and about equal offensive output. If you want to make a splash you make a splash. Nashville is having difficulty in talks with Shea Weber, he is a RFA and granted he would be a high cost, he would be a worthwhile one. If Toronto can send Stajan and spare parts for Phaneuf, Weber can be had as well. Granted Poille is no Sutter and would look for more in return, but with Ryan Ellis due to make the jump next year Weber might just be available. Something worth exploring if the team wants to go defense.

I think Lalime will be shown the door much like Rivet. No need to keep him around if you can't play him. Not much of the season left so it shouldn;t hurt to keep Enroth with the team.

Paul Stastny anyone? 26 years old, potential to be a point a game player in the NHL. A little more physical than the average Sabres forward. The price tag is high at $6.6 mil. But it is at least a fixed cost for the next three seasons. The morning show was pretty dismissive of the idea. If Colorado is willing to move him? IMO, the Sabres need to be first inline. I can see a package including Stafford and Sekera possibly getting the deal done.

Holy ######!!!! First time I've ever agreed with DeLuca!! Stastny is one guy the Sabres should go after hard if there is even a hint he's available.

LOL Now we have 2 threads talking about Stasny.

Does anyone know what postion Colorado is thin at? A player at that position will likely be the starting point in trade negotiations. My guess is they want goaltending right now. But I don't know if Enroth has enough of a portfolio to interest them yet.

Not sure I want to offer Stafford as my starting point. Stafford is an RW and we are THIN at RW. I would rather we sent them an LW. We have much more depth at LW. Anybody think that Ennis and Enroth get it done?

Statsny isn't going anywhere, if he was he is an All-Star it would take a lot more than Ennis, Stafford or Enroth to get it done.

may have a chance if it's "and". I like the deal DeLuca mentioned. Stafford, Enroth and a Dman not named Myers, even throw in a 2nd and get that pick back when you trade Connolly.

Does anyone know what postion Colorado is thin at? A player at that position will likely be the starting point in trade negotiations. My guess is they want goaltending right now. But I don't know if Enroth has enough of a portfolio to interest them yet.

Not sure I want to offer Stafford as my starting point. Stafford is an RW and we are THIN at RW. I would rather we sent them an LW. We have much more depth at LW. Anybody think that Ennis and Enroth get it done?

I didn't look into the Rivet thread.

Ennis, Enroth and possibly a pick? Not sure their is anything I wouldn't give up to lock down that #1 center position. A line/PP with Vanek and Stastny would be really nice to see in a Sabres uniform.

That Stastny talk has definitely been picking up a bit of steam this week on TSN. If they're going to add anyone at this deadline, that's the kind of guy I hope they look into heavily. They need to be looking into long-term additions right now. He would definitely be an addition to our weak center core.

In terms of what weaknesses Colorado has, they've had a lot of trouble along their blue line this year with injuries and depth. They've had to call up a lot of rookies. And now with the Johnson trade and another trader earlier this season, they've shipped a couple of those promising rookies away. Maybe our organizational depth in defensive prospects might be of some interest to them.

The other name that Deluca mentioned as trade bait is one that has been popping up in my mind a lot lately. I really like what Ennis has to offer, but I'm starting to get the feeling that he could be our prime piece of trade bait. The team is going to need to move away from the smurfs a bit and he clearly has the most value of that entire group. You have to give something to get something.

That Stastny talk has definitely been picking up a bit of steam this week on TSN. If they're going to add anyone at this deadline, that's the kind of guy I hope they look into heavily. They need to be looking into long-term additions right now. He would definitely be an addition to our weak center core.

In terms of what weaknesses Colorado has, they've had a lot of trouble along their blue line this year with injuries and depth. They've had to call up a lot of rookies. And now with the Johnson trade and another trader earlier this season, they've shipped a couple of those promising rookies away. Maybe our organizational depth in defensive prospects might be of some interest to them.

The other name that Deluca mentioned as trade bait is one that has been popping up in my mind a lot lately. I really like what Ennis has to offer, but I'm starting to get the feeling that he could be our prime piece of trade bait. The team is going to need to move away from the smurfs a bit and he clearly has the most value of that entire group. You have to give something to get something.

I think if teams are talking trades with the Sabres realistically those teams asking about three players. Stafford, Ennis and Weber. I think Weber's stock would be really high right now. 38 games, 10 points, +12, 96 hits and 67 blocked shots for Weber this season. Of the three he is the one I would hate to see go most. I would try to push Stafford then Ennis in trade talks. Leave Weber out unless a deal just can't get done otherwise.

San Jose has 3 centers in the top 25 in the league. Couture could be a fluke but hes got 1 year left on his contract and if San Jose is up against the cap and probably will be next year. Thorton and Pavelski are signed for 4 years so why not offer them a guy like stafford and and maybe a pick. They have RW issues, they have heatley lw, Marleu lw/c, clowe lw, and are weak on the right side. We like to trade with them and to move couture out and bring stafford in would be a small cap move for them. Just a thought and it could blow up but if I could move Drew for Couture even though hes gonna be rookie of the year I would explore that option. Of course this wont happen as are fearless darcy isnt gonna do jack

I think if teams are talking trades with the Sabres realistically those teams asking about three players. Stafford, Ennis and Weber. I think Weber's stock would be really high right now. 38 games, 10 points, +12, 96 hits and 67 blocked shots for Weber this season. Of the three he is the one I would hate to see go most. I would try to push Stafford then Ennis in trade talks. Leave Weber out unless a deal just can't get done otherwise.

Weber is going to be good really good he is definately not to be traded hes a beast.

I didn't look into the Rivet thread.

Ennis, Enroth and possibly a pick? Not sure their is anything I wouldn't give up to lock down that #1 center position. A line/PP with Vanek and Stastny would be really nice to see in a Sabres uniform.

I would rather trade Stafford and a #1 than Ennis and Enroth.

And what I would REALLY rather trade: Pommer and a #1, or Pommer and Enroth if needed. That way the Sabres unload a bad contract as part of taking back a big contract (that may or may not be a bad one).

I am anti JM Liles, he doesn't play in his own end. If we wanted a player like JM Liles we could have picked up MA Bergeron in Dec. for a lot less money and about equal offensive output. If you want to make a splash you make a splash. Nashville is having difficulty in talks with Shea Weber, he is a RFA and granted he would be a high cost, he would be a worthwhile one. If Toronto can send Stajan and spare parts for Phaneuf, Weber can be had as well. Granted Poille is no Sutter and would look for more in return, but with Ryan Ellis due to make the jump next year Weber might just be available. Something worth exploring if the team wants to go defense.

There is NFW that Nashville is going to trade Weber.

And what I would REALLY rather trade: Pommer and a #1, or Pommer and Enroth if needed. That way the Sabres unload a bad contract as part of taking back a big contract (that may or may not be a bad one).

I think he meant Nashville play-by-play man Pete Weber.

I have no problem with a single word of that. The thing that's great to see about Weber is that he has actually taken that next step and so far he is playing exactly as he did in the AHL. Rock solid numbers at both levels. Hopefully he keeps it going. And since he's a little bit older, it really looks like he should have a good level of maturity as a base for that progress.

Nikolay Zherdev?

26 years old and will only cost you $600,000 to look at him over the final 23 games. 47 games, 15 goals and is a +7? I know all about the lazy Russian talk. At $600k I would take a closer look with no long term obligations.

Zherdev has already burned through 3 NHL teams at the ripe old age of 26. There is clearly an issue with him and/or his game. I'll pass.

Same was said about Phaneuf and he wasn't an RFA at the end of the year. Weber shouldn't be traded, but with all the talk of Statsny being moved I figured that why not throw Weber who Nashville is having a hard time getting under contract. He is just as likely at this point as Statsny. Seeing Statsny has come out and said he isn't going anywhere

Archived