Trade deadline? Are the Sabres buyers or sellers?

PromoTheRobot

I really wish I never had to read his name on this board ever again. Every year posters storm in here around trade deadline time, pontificating about trading for Dustin Brown or every other teams best all around player. Teams don't trade their best young players unless they are stupid, cash strapped, or get something ridiculous in return.

So if we want Dustin Brown, prepare to give up Myers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating it.

I was merely trying to point out that Stafford and Sekera for Stoll is off base as far as the value of return is.

I happen to agree with you in that no team is going to dump their young talent, including the Sabres for that matter.

I would imagine it's merely going to be a secondary depth move. I can't see us getting our first or second line center at the deadline.

About the only talented Center I can see even thought of being moved this deadline may be Pavelski, and it would have to be a knock your socks off offer to get him. Especially given the big 3 contracts on San Jose as well as the rise of Couture. But I strongly doubt any team is going to be willing to over pay for him.

LA presents a different situation altogether. Lombardi has been rebuilding that team for a number of years now and their progression has slid this season. He may want to make a roster move just to shake things up. They are in the same position the Sabres are in, 10th place in their conference. I can see Stoll being moved, but more than likely I would look to Handzus being moved. Connolly for Handzus straight up I can see happening.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating it.

I was merely trying to point out that Stafford and Sekera for Stoll is off base as far as the value of return is.

I happen to agree with you in that no team is going to dump their young talent, including the Sabres for that matter.

I would imagine it's merely going to be a secondary depth move. I can't see us getting our first or second line center at the deadline.

About the only talented Center I can see even thought of being moved this deadline may be Pavelski, and it would have to be a knock your socks off offer to get him. Especially given the big 3 contracts on San Jose as well as the rise of Couture. But I strongly doubt any team is going to be willing to over pay for him.

LA presents a different situation altogether. Lombardi has been rebuilding that team for a number of years now and their progression has slid this season. He may want to make a roster move just to shake things up. They are in the same position the Sabres are in, 10th place in their conference. I can see Stoll being moved, but more than likely I would look to Handzus being moved. Connolly for Handzus straight up I can see happening.

What purpose would be served by burning an asset on a rent-a-player? Moves like this will only hurt the franchise in the long run.

What purpose would be served by burning an asset on a rent-a-player? Moves like this will only hurt the franchise in the long run.

I don't consider moving Connolly as a negative for the Sabres. He shouldn't have been re-signed in my opinion.

While I would like to see a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Connolly, I can see Regier and Lombardi doing a deal around Connolly and Handzus if for no other reason than to shake up the rosters as the attempt to enter the playoffs.

According to that blimp reporter from Ottawa, the Sabres are sellers:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Trades/2011/02/12/17253861.html

Every reporter around the league who comments on the Sabres situation says we will be sellers. Not one has us going out to tangle a pick or prospect to give us a serious chance to win now. Interesting. I'll be shocked if all these reporters are proven wrong.

I don't consider moving Connolly as a negative for the Sabres. He shouldn't have been re-signed in my opinion.

While I would like to see a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Connolly, I can see Regier and Lombardi doing a deal around Connolly and Handzus if for no other reason than to shake up the rosters as the attempt to enter the playoffs.

I agree. IMO, the Sabres picking up any "rent-a-player" is a huge mistake. I would much rather see Adam or someone from Portland get a shot after some UFAs are moved at the deadline.

If the Sabres don't demand top round picks they may be able to get multiple picks for Connolly. Maybe a 3rd one year and a 4th the following year. I like the idea of stockpiling picks for the future. That is why I would like to see every UFA moved at the deadline. Back fill from Portland and use the final stretch of games as an evaluation for possible off-season deals.

Every reporter around the league who comments on the Sabres situation says we will be sellers. Not one has us going out to tangle a pick or prospect to give us a serious chance to win now. Interesting. I'll be shocked if all these reporters are proven wrong.

It would be foolish to do so. They are looking at the Sabres pretty much as we do here. They don't have the horses to make a serious run.

I agree. IMO, the Sabres picking up any "rent-a-player" is a huge mistake. I would much rather see Adam or someone from Portland get a shot after some UFAs are moved at the deadline.

If the Sabres don't demand top round picks they may be able to get multiple picks for Connolly. Maybe a 3rd one year and a 4th the following year. I like the idea of stockpiling picks for the future. That is why I would like to see every UFA moved at the deadline. Back fill from Portland and use the final stretch of games as an evaluation for possible off-season deals.

Agreed with all of this. This long run has me double thinking that maybe we should give ourselves a bit of a boost and give it a true run towards the playoffs, but, we will cool off eventually, and when we do, we'll drop like a rock. So, i agree, i do wish they would sell and stockpile picks/prospects. I'm more interested to see who is in Pegula's front office then I am in any potential trades we make. I am still holding hope that Ken Sawyer and Craig Patrick are with him, and that, IMO, would be the same thing as trading for a Brad Richards on deadline day. Atleast for me.

Agreed with all of this. This long run has me double thinking that maybe we should give ourselves a bit of a boost and give it a true run towards the playoffs, but, we will cool off eventually, and when we do, we'll drop like a rock. So, i agree, i do wish they would sell and stockpile picks/prospects. I'm more interested to see who is in Pegula's front office then I am in any potential trades we make. I am still holding hope that Ken Sawyer and Craig Patrick are with him, and that, IMO, would be the same thing as trading for a Brad Richards on deadline day. Atleast for me.

I agree with this.

It's like the Aesop's Fable -"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Picking up Richards maybe one good singular move. Getting the right man in position to make those decisions can lead to years of good moves.

According to that blimp reporter from Ottawa, the Sabres are sellers:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Trades/2011/02/12/17253861.html

Oh, let's have some fun with this:

"Of course, with Mike Fisher and Francois Beauchemin having been traded, the market is already thinned."

Yes. The entire NHL fanbase was waiting to see what happened with Fisher and Beauchemin. Finally, we can move on with our lives.

"It would appear the Stars aren’t going to move centre Brad Richards..."

No sh*t. Texas is winning its division; why the hell would it move Richards?

"Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero has always had the ability to make shrewd moves."

Are you freaking kidding? No, he lucked into a team with two first-overall picks AND Malkin (second overall), and convinced some aged talent to come there. Tough sell, that. F*ck, I could do that. It's like being the soundboard guy for the Beatles. Shero's a great GM just like Bylsma's a genius of a coach. Neither of them could build or coach a team from actual "scratch." Give me one example of a "shrewd move."

Then there's the Buffalo analysis:

BEING SHOPPED: C Tim Connolly, RW Mike Grier, C Jochen Hecht, C Rob Niedermayer, D Craig Rivet.

No sh*t again. Hecht and four UFAs, three of whom are practically AARP members. Nice sportswriting work; apparently, I could do your job as well as I could Shero's. Did you also luck into some sort of sportswriter position?

Nothing here is an attack on repster; it is all on the writer of the purported "article."

I agree with this.

It's like the Aesop's Fable -"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Picking up Richards maybe one good singular move. Getting the right man in position to make those decisions can lead to years of good moves.

So Richards is this year's Kovalchuk, as far as you're concerned? And the guy probably isn't even available for trade (his team is doing too well). But let's blame someone for not bringing him in, just like with Kovy last year (he really saved those Devils, didn't he?).

So Richards is this year's Kovalchuk, as far as you're concerned? And the guy probably isn't even available for trade (his team is doing too well). But let's blame someone for not bringing him in, just like with Kovy last year (he really saved those Devils, didn't he?).

Wow! I am surprised. Stevie Wonder didn't even miss the point I made and was responding to, yet you were able to.

The point that was made was that bringing in the right people to make decisions is more important than bringing in Richards. I agree with that.

Wow! I am surprised. Stevie Wonder didn't even miss the point I made and was responding to, yet you were able to.

The point that was made was that bringing in the right people to make decisions is more important than bringing in Richards. I agree with that.

If that's your point, I'm fine with it.

Then there's the Buffalo analysis:

BEING SHOPPED: C Tim Connolly, RW Mike Grier, C Jochen Hecht, C Rob Niedermayer, D Craig Rivet.

No sh*t again. Hecht and four UFAs, three of whom are practically AARP members. Nice sportswriting work; apparently, I could do your job as well as I could Shero's. Did you also luck into some sort of sportswriter position?

Nothing here is an attack on repster; it is all on the writer of the purported "article."

That "writer" is the same bozo who reported that Malkin was getting traded to the Kings, and the same one who defended Chris Neil's hit on Drury and said TG was "crying to the league about it."

Separately, I think the Sabres might be able to unload Hecht if they wanted to. He has a number of similarities to Mike Fisher, who just got traded for a pretty nice return even though he has 2 years x $4.2 million left on his deal, whereas Jochen has 1 yr x $3.525MM on his.

Hecht: 750 GP, 173-260-433, 6'1, 198, Age 33

Fisher: 675 GP, 167-181-348, 6'1, 208, Age 30

I would probably trade Hecht if there were a taker for him and there was a decent draft pick or prospect coming back. With TP coming in I would feel confident that the money was going to be well spent elsewhere.

That "writer" is the same bozo who reported that Malkin was getting traded to the Kings, and the same one who defended Chris Neil's hit on Drury and said TG was "crying to the league about it."

Separately, I think the Sabres might be able to unload Hecht if they wanted to. He has a number of similarities to Mike Fisher, who just got traded for a pretty nice return even though he has 2 years x $4.2 million left on his deal, whereas Jochen has 1 yr x $3.525MM on his.

Hecht: 750 GP, 173-260-433, 6'1, 198, Age 33

Fisher: 675 GP, 167-181-348, 6'1, 208, Age 30

I would probably trade Hecht if there were a taker for him and there was a decent draft pick or prospect coming back. With TP coming in I would feel confident that the money was going to be well spent elsewhere.

I think you missed one very important stat.

When comparing Fisher to Hecht in regards to a possible return in a trade. Their age, Hecht is 33 and Fisher is 30. Fisher's contract is up when he is 32. Hecht's contract takes him to 34. IMO, that is a big factor in comparing the two.

This was also a big factor in not giving Lydman the extra year he wanted. I hope you weren't arguing then that management was foolish to let him go.

Archived