Trade deadline? Are the Sabres buyers or sellers?

PromoTheRobot

When comparing Fisher to Hecht in regards to a possible return in a trade. Their age, Hecht is 33 and Fisher is 30. Fisher's contract is up when he is 32. Hecht's contract takes him to 34. IMO, that is a big factor in comparing the two.

Well, I did include their ages in my post, so I'm not sure how I "missed" that stat.

Having said that, you are certainly right that it affects the relative trade returns for the 2 players. I was making the comparison more for the point that it would likely be possible to unload Hecht if the Sabres wanted to do so.

This was also a big factor in not giving Lydman the extra year he wanted. I hope you weren't arguing then that management was foolish to let him go.

I believe I was bothered more by letting Spacek go than Talinder and Lydman. When they let Spacek go he was far and away the Sabres best defenseman.

Well, I did include their ages in my post, so I'm not sure how I "missed" that stat.

Having said that, you are certainly right that it affects the relative trade returns for the 2 players. I was making the comparison more for the point that it would likely be possible to unload Hecht if the Sabres wanted to do so.

Only having that one additional year at a modest price would help a lot.

I see Hecht as a perfect fit for the Red Wings. I think his style would blend in well on the Wings third & fourth lines. He can also see time on the PK and PP.

If you take a quick look around the NHL teams are paying for players with high draft picks. For a couple of seasons most fans have wanted to see the Sabres make some moves at the deadline and not just make a weak attempt at a playoff push. So the question is this year with the Western conference backed up on top of itself should the sabres look at players like connolly or hecht ect. and consider trading them in a market that will probably drop after the 28th. If you could move either for a 1st/2nd round pick would you? Fisher is not that much better than connolly and he went for a 1,3(possible2). For the past 3 years we have been mediocre, I think we should sell on the high side and rebuild to be great in the future. Stockpiling a few draft picks and sending away soon to be FA or players that are significantly underachieving and overpaid (hecht, and yes I know he won the game last night but if we have better players could we not have won in regulation?) could be beneficial in the long and short term.

Looks like maybe Carolina is selling?

From Twitter:

TSNBobMcKenzie As per @ice_chip, Ian White is not on the ice for CAR practice today. He has NOT been traded yet but he's likely to dealt at some point.

Asked about White's situation, Canes coach Paul Maurice said after the skate that "there's something in the works that's pending."

"If it happens, it will happen in the next 24 hours, I guess. If it doesn't, then he's with our hockey team."

Read more: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/canes-consider-trade-for-white#ixzz1EA1XdI6p

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/canes-consider-trade-for-white

White is a UFA at the end of the season.

If you take a quick look around the NHL teams are paying for players with high draft picks. For a couple of seasons most fans have wanted to see the Sabres make some moves at the deadline and not just make a weak attempt at a playoff push. So the question is this year with the Western conference backed up on top of itself should the sabres look at players like connolly or hecht ect. and consider trading them in a market that will probably drop after the 28th. If you could move either for a 1st/2nd round pick would you? Fisher is not that much better than connolly and he went for a 1,3(possible2). For the past 3 years we have been mediocre, I think we should sell on the high side and rebuild to be great in the future. Stockpiling a few draft picks and sending away soon to be FA or players that are significantly underachieving and overpaid (hecht, and yes I know he won the game last night but if we have better players could we not have won in regulation?) could be beneficial in the long and short term.

You have to factor in their contracts, Fisher is signed for next season and Connolly is not. Same with Versteeg.

I don't care if the Sabres are sellers, just don't be buyers. I am shell shocked over the last two acquisitions of Moore and Torres, and a team that needs to build via the draft(at least under the OSP regime), can't be pissing away 2nd round picks.

Technically can't it be said they traded Kotalik & MacArthur for Moore & Torres?

and this follow up from McKenzie:

I am told the Vancouver Canucks have not traded for Ian White and have not even had a single conversation about trading for Ian White.

TSNBobMcKenzie BTW, no guarantee Ian White gets moved today. Could be a day or 2 or 3 or...u get the idea. CAR obviously trying tho.

ice_chip Rutherford: "We had an offer and decided to pull (White) back for a day or two and put Carson in the lineup ..."

Chip Alexander ice_chip Rutherford: "We have something to consider but that doesn't mean it will go one way or the other. He could be back in the lineup this week."

I know Enroth is a real popular guy around here right about now but I wonder what his trade value might be? There are several decent backup goalie FA's that will be available in the offseason so I'm not overly worried about losing Enroth if we can get a good return on him. Might Enroth be worth a 2nd line scoring forward to a team like NJ, TB, or maybe Washington?

As for moving Hecht for a high pick, I'm for it. I'd love to see this team manage to bring in a bunch of high-to-mid round picks. Makes it easier to trade for upgrades in the offseason. If Buffalo has any hopes of landing a #1 center in the offseason I expect it'll require a trade to do it. Buffalo shouldn't put all its hopes on getting Richards. Richards is going to have alot of teams vying for his services.

I know Enroth is a real popular guy around here right about now but I wonder what his trade value might be? There are several decent backup goalie FA's that will be available in the offseason so I'm not overly worried about losing Enroth if we can get a good return on him. Might Enroth be worth a 2nd line scoring forward to a team like NJ, TB, or maybe Washington?

As for moving Hecht for a high pick, I'm for it. I'd love to see this team manage to bring in a bunch of high-to-mid round picks. Makes it easier to trade for upgrades in the offseason. If Buffalo has any hopes of landing a #1 center in the offseason I expect it'll require a trade to do it. Buffalo shouldn't put all its hopes on getting Richards. Richards is going to have alot of teams vying for his services.

He has more value in the trade market then he does to the Sabres right now. While Miller is here he will never get enough starts to develop into a real quality goaltender. That is of course depends on if Ruff is retained as coach. Ideally you would like to keep Enroth and play him 20-25 games a year. Problem is that playing Miller only 55-60 at his salary is wasted money.

He has more value in the trade market then he does to the Sabres right now. While Miller is here he will never get enough starts to develop into a real quality goaltender. That is of course depends on if Ruff is retained as coach. Ideally you would like to keep Enroth and play him 20-25 games a year. Problem is that playing Miller only 55-60 at his salary is wasted money.

That is kind of what I was thinking. Enroth looks like he is destined to be a starter. Buffalo already has one. It might not be good value to hang on to Enroth and use him as a backup. If he can bring a good return it seems to me that it might be benefitial to move Enroth and sign a proven backup as a FA in the offseason.

That is kind of what I was thinking. Enroth looks like he is destined to be a starter. Buffalo already has one. It might not be good value to hang on to Enroth and use him as a backup. If he can bring a good return it seems to me that it might be benefitial to move Enroth and sign a proven backup as a FA in the offseason.

Not yet, for crying out loud. Let the kid develop and then decide which of the two is the better trade. Based upon his AHL numbers right now, what do you expect for him anyway? A third-rounder? You're not getting more.

Damn, do you guys always pull the trigger this quickly? I feel bad for your WAGs.

Not yet, for crying out loud. Let the kid develop and then decide which of the two is the better trade. Based upon his AHL numbers right now, what do you expect for him anyway? A third-rounder? You're not getting more.

Damn, do you guys always pull the trigger this quickly? I feel bad for your WAGs.

I'm not expecting anything in particular, and why is being open to the possibility of a trade make me trigger happy? I'm just being open minded to another option for upgrading the team. Sheesh... if the return isn't worth it you say "no" and hang up the phone. :rolleyes:

I'm not expecting anything in particular, and why is being open to the possibility of a trade make me trigger happy? I'm just being open minded to another option for upgrading the team. Sheesh... if the return isn't worth it you say "no" and hang up the phone. :rolleyes:

You are learning that Sabre Fans are the NHL version of Hoarders. They are so afraid of giving up that diamond in the rough that they never open themselves up to the possibility of using assets to actually improve the team. Sure, they are willing to dump Connolly, Grier, Rivet or Nieids because they have no value. But to actually make a hockey trade where each team gives up value in exchange for value is never a consideration.

You are learning that Sabre Fans are the NHL version of Hoarders. They are so afraid of giving up that diamond in the rough that they never open themselves up to the possibility of using assets to actually improve the team. Sure, they are willing to dump Connolly, Grier, Rivet or Nieids because they have no value. But to actually make a hockey trade where each team gives up value in exchange for value is never a consideration.

They're not getting anything valuable for Enroth right now. You know that as well as I do. And you also know that I've wanted them to trade Connolly for about forever, not recently.

Actually, we wait until they are diamonds, then just give them away. C'mon. Haven't we watched our assets go on and win Cups elsewhere throughout the history of the team?

They're not getting anything valuable for Enroth right now. You know that as well as I do. And you also know that I've wanted them to trade Connolly for about forever, not recently.

What is the value of Enroth to the Sabres? His only value is in the trade market. Problem is, that he will never get the starts needed to up his trade value playing in this organization.

My overall comment was not directed solely at you. It just seems that you can't have a actual discussion about possible trades without someone reacting much like you did. Others do it as well. Bring up possibly trading Miller, Stafford or Myers and people go nuts. Why? The Sabres are not in a position as an organization to have any untouchables. They have a couple of really good players (Vanek,Myers,Miller) some young prospects (Ennis, Weber,Kassian) and a lot of holes in the roster.

Who was making all those rental trades?

LOL "not a fan of rental players" what irony.

When was their last rental? The year they got Zubrus they traded Biron and got the #1 pick in the second round. Same thing with Moore & Kotalik, Torres & MacArthur. He makes more lateral UFA for UFA moves to change the makeup, never rentals. I'd expect more of the same this year.

Archived