WJC Discussion Thread

Eleven

ALLLLL the hype seems to be directed at Kassian (who deserves much of it because he's the type of prospect we've always dreamed about) but I think Foligno has been the more impressive player. Can't wait for these guys to be Sabres next year.

Foligno has definitely been more impressive (then again, how can you impress when you've been suspended for 1/2 the tournament?), but I think ultimately Kassian has more upside. They both play an agressive game but Kassian is bigger and seems to have more offensive potential.

I see Foligno becoming a fan fav as a 3rd liner with once in awhile forays on the 2nd line, whereas Kassian has the skill set to develop into a consistent top 6 player. Right now, it looks to me like Foligno is more of a sure bet to have a lasting NHL impact whereas Kassian needs more development to get to where he could be.

Medal Round (all games at HSBC Arena, Buffalo)

• Jan. 2 Canada (2B) vs. Switzerland (3A) (quarterfinal) - 3:30 p.m.
  • Jan. 2 Finland (2A) vs. Russia (3B) (quarterfinal) - 7:30 p.m.
  • Jan. 3 Semifinals – Sweden (1B) vs. Russia-Finland winner - 3:30 p.m.
  • Jan. 3 Semifinals – USA (1A) vs. Canada-Switzerland winner - 7:30 p.m.
  • Jan. 5 Bronze-Medal Game - 3:30 p.m.
  • Jan. 5 Gold-Medal Game - 7:30 p.m.

Thanks for posting that.

I have to say that I would have liked the Canada USA matchup to have waited to the medal round. Yes I am predicting that USA/Canada matchup already as a given.

IMHO the team that wins this matchup on 1/3 is the team to beat for the gold and either team could easily have been the silver but this seeding has deep sixed that possibility.

Oh well 1/3 game sure is going to be a rocking one and I am not sure if Team USA will have a home ice advantage from what I have seen in the stands to date.

Thanks for posting that.

I have to say that I would have liked the Canada USA matchup to have waited to the medal round. Yes I am predicting that USA/Canada matchup already as a given.

IMHO the team that wins this matchup on 1/3 is the team to beat for the gold and either team could easily have been the silver but this seeding has deep sixed that possibility.

Oh well 1/3 game sure is going to be a rocking one and I am not sure if Team USA will have a home ice advantage from what I have seen in the stands to date.

You can blame Olivier Roy.

I want BOTH up with us next year.....slowly but surely we can weed out the softness that has plagued this team for years

The 2009 draft may be a dream draft for Sabres fans sick of a small, weak team. Kassian and Foligno add a ton of size and toughness up front. In between drafting those two, though, they also drafted Brayden McNabb, who is bigger than both of them and also throws his weight around on the blue line. Kassian is already signed and unless the Sabres are the most incompetent team in the league (knock on wood) they'll sign both Foligno and McNabb right after this season.

The Sabres also have Schiestel and Brennan in Portland and either of them (most notably Schiestel) could come up and add some size/grit to the blue line as well.

The 2009 draft may be a dream draft for Sabres fans sick of a small, weak team. Kassian and Foligno add a ton of size and toughness up front. In between drafting those two, though, they also drafted Brayden McNabb, who is bigger than both of them and also throws his weight around on the blue line. Kassian is already signed and unless the Sabres are the most incompetent team in the league (knock on wood) they'll sign both Foligno and McNabb right after this season.

The Sabres also have Schiestel and Brennan in Portland and either of them (most notably Schiestel) could come up and add some size/grit to the blue line as well.

This'll all be right in time for the resurgence of the immediate post-lockout NHL. Maybe under Pegula, the Sabres will find an identity and stick with it.

So I'm going to Finland/Russia game tonight. Anything/anyone to look at?

Joel Armia for Finland. (Top 10 pick)

Vladislav Namestnikov for Russia. (mid-1st)

Both draft eligible.

Their stars who are already drafted... Teemu Pulkkinen (Finland) and Yevgeni Kuznetsov and Vladimir Tarasenko (Russia)

Canada doesn't look strong in this game at all. They look slow and are getting out hit which is pretty rare for them. If i didn't know any better i'd say they are still hungover from a post-New Years party. The Canadians on twitter keep saying what a rock this Swiss goalie is as he had that massive 50 save game last year that knocked Russia out, but he's not even getting tested. Canada is lucky they are laying an egg against the Swiss and better get their game back up for their next opponent because they look awful.

Canada doesn't look strong in this game at all. They look slow and are getting out hit which is pretty rare for them. If i didn't know any better i'd say they are still hungover from a post-New Years party. The Canadians on twitter keep saying what a rock this Swiss goalie is as he had that massive 50 save game last year that knocked Russia out, but he's not even getting tested. Canada is lucky they are laying an egg against the Swiss and better get their game back up for their next opponent because they look awful.

Shots are 23-9 to this point but I agree,they don't look very good.

Its going to be a great game tomorrow and should be the toughest challenge yet for Canada in meeting the U.S. Playing the defending champs who clearly have the better goaltending on home soil puts the Canadians in the underdog position which might take some of the pressure off. Or maybe not?

Its going to be a great game tomorrow and should be the toughest challenge yet for Canada in meeting the U.S. Playing the defending champs who clearly have the better goaltending on home soil puts the Canadians in the underdog position which might take some of the pressure off. Or maybe not?

I think the crowd will take the home ice element completely out of it...but it will put the pressure right back on. You think there are a lot of Toronto fans at Leaves games? That's going to look like a completely pro-Sabre crowd compared to tomorrow. It will be 80% Canadian if not more. It's been a hostile environment for USA even in a couple of games that Canada wasn't in!

Should be a fun one to watch. I'm pretty proud of what USA has done already, especially Campbell.

I think the crowd will take the home ice element completely out of it...but it will put the pressure right back on. You think there are a lot of Toronto fans at Leaves games? That's going to look like a completely pro-Sabre crowd compared to tomorrow. It will be 80% Canadian if not more. It's been a hostile environment for USA even in a couple of games that Canada wasn't in!

Should be a fun one to watch. I'm pretty proud of what USA has done already, especially Campbell.

QFT. From the crowds I have seen it looks like Canadians bought most of the tickets and sold off what they did not want. That was what I was going to do if I was able to swing the family downtime.

Defintely looking forward to this one, shame it might be the best game of the tournament this early.

No harm in starting the revelry USA, USA, USA...

Ya thats what I was thinking when I said 'or maybe not'. That crowd being a good part Canadian might help the U.S. if they go into a us against the world kind of mentality. And they can take the crowd right out of it if they exploit the Canadian goaltending early. Should be a great game. I just hope the Canadian fans at the game aren't idiots about things. I want this to be about the hockey and the spirit of sport. No doubt there will be some over zealous fans there that don't know better and let their emotions get the better of them. There always is.

Ya thats what I was thinking when I said 'or maybe not'. That crowd being a good part Canadian might help the U.S. if they go into a us against the world kind of mentality. And they can take the crowd right out of it if they exploit the Canadian goaltending early. Should be a great game. I just hope the Canadian fans at the game aren't idiots about things. I want this to be about the hockey and the spirit of sport. No doubt there will be some over zealous fans there that don't know better and let their emotions get the better of them. There always is.

Ladies and Gentlemen.......prepare for the Karma Wheel to spin in direct payback for the Great Raleigh Rape & Pillage by Sabres fans in '06.

Will Canada be dressing a goaltender for the game, then?

Archived