GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

At this point, though, aren't you just deflating your own argument? Do you really think that first goal was at all Connolly's fault? And if not, then what's it matter if he was a -1?

The +/- is a good stat but at times it can be very misleading.

Not really, I don't like the guy and despite finally doing a little net hanging and banging in a rebound. I saw him give up on way to many plays and make poor decisions on the power play. The only reason he didn't crap out in front of the net was because Vanek was taking all the heat for him. Until Connolly can play better in the corners and do a little more hustling he can have all the skill in the World but not get my respect.

Eleven, go get a sandwich.

You gone?

mrjsbu, this has been a hot topic for the better part of two seasons. Lots of media people, including Rick himself, have talked about how quiet the building is. That's coming from generally pro-Sabres people in the building, not watching on TV. Quite a few posters who go to games also have agreed. One of the theories, besides the lackluster play of the team, is that the crowd has become too sanitized, tame and family-oriented.

The eyes also don't deceive. When the Sabres score, you can just see that a lot of people aren't making noise, unless they're trying to do it telepathically.

That said, there's been more life in the crowd the past three or four games, IMHO. Seems like a turning point was the nice ovation for Mike Grier.

No one who goes to games has agreed.

And I'm out of sammiches, dammit.

Not really, I don't like the guy and despite finally doing a little net hanging and banging in a rebound. I saw him give up on way to many plays and make poor decisions on the power play. The only reason he didn't crap out in front of the net was because Vanek was taking all the heat for him. Until Connolly can play better in the corners and do a little more hustling he can have all the skill in the World but not get my respect.

I just don't see it. I understand he's not physical and is weak in the corners, but I don't see him "giving up on plays" and certainly didn't see many poor decisions on the powerplay tonight... Sabres were clicking red hot on the PP tonight and there was a lot of nifty, but crisp, passes between connolly, roy and ennis specifically.

What do you guys think-- Lalime tomorrow? It'd help Stamkos on his quest for 50 in 50... he'd probably get 10 vs Patty alone.

I don't think so, with four days' rest before the next game. Not saying it shouldn't happen, but it won't. Ryan will start tomorrow, Wednesday, and Friday, unless he's injured or ill.

I don't think so, with four days' rest before the next game. Not saying it shouldn't happen, but it won't. Ryan will start tomorrow, Wednesday, and Friday, unless he's injured or ill.

I agree, btw, just wondered what people thought... I wouldn't take Miller out. Looks like he's getting on a roll.

Miller - almost gives up another softy. (talking about last game)

Miller has been sharp, yet at the same time he had at least three shots that leaked by him last night, two went wide and one was cleared off the blue ice by a d-man. This seems to be on the rise since he got back from injury, right from the very first save he made after coming back.

If you watched the TB-Flyers game the other day, the cross-ice passing that TB have is mighty impressive. I'm hoping Ruff is coaching cutting those out even if it means having a forward 'spying' between the circles and sitting deeper to cut that out. Miller has not been at his best on side-to-side this season, and at least half the TB side looks prolific at one-timing those into the top corner.

The Arena still continues to sound dead to me...it is just tee-vee or what gives these days? Or is just the cavernous new buildings just don't make noise the way the old place did with those thingies hanging from the rafters?!?!

Ok, i'm going to join this bandwagon.

Was at the game as part of my annual trek back to Buffalo. The first two periods the crowd was pretty quiet between spurts in action. But they did get pretty vocal at goals, bad calls, fights, hits and the like.

Once the Sabres took the lead though, it sounded just like a regular hockey game with chants going up in all sides etc etc. The third period was nice and loud. Actually the one time a "Let's Go Buffalo" got started and picked up by the entire arena, it felt like the playoffs again, but the idiot jumbotron operator put on the big save of the game segment thingy and the chant died away.. shame. You would really have thought that with the whole place picking up volume like that they could have kept that for another break in play.

All in all, some volume is lost in production values, and the place does tend to go quiet when the Sabres are down, which we've seen more of this season than we're used to.

One more thing - the wife was with me and she absolutely detests all the 'crowd pleasing' activities that go on, kiss-cam, dancing on the cam, etc etc.. as she says.. "we're here to watch some ###### hockey, cheer the team or go home and kiss, dance and watch it on tv"

Well, that was a good win against another good team. First regulation win at home, I think -- and about time, too.

A few game notes:

1. I didn't like the way the Sabres started -- LA swarmed on offense, Rivet takes a slow-footed hooking penalty 2 minutes into the game, Miller gives up a not-so-great goal -- but Miller kept them in it until they got going. That didn't really happen though until the 2nd part of the 2nd period. I would like to see a 60-minute effort one of these days.

2. Good to see some life out of TC and his line. If they can keep it going, the Sabres are going to end up having a good season.

3. Miller played very well other than the first GA.

4. Sekera may have been the best defenseman on the ice last night -- and there were a lot of good ones in that game.

5. Gaustad and Grier have been playing very well lately.

6. I also think we'll see Miller tonight. If Lalime plays I can see TB lighting him up like a pinball machine.

Was at the game as well and I think the crowd is brutal. I even turned to my buddy with 5 minutes to go and said ..what the hell, we have the lead with this amount of time against a tier 1 opponent and it's like they are losing. Even the playoff round last year was nothing like it used to be. I think it is the Sabres style of play more than it is the wins and losses. Whatever it is, I am trying to do my part to fix it (however small that may be).

Hopefully one day, the Bills and Sabres games will have the home field/ice advantage again because they certainly don't have it now....That aside, great game last night as I had a blast!

One more thing - the wife was with me and she absolutely detests all the 'crowd pleasing' activities that go on, kiss-cam, dancing on the cam, etc etc.. as she says.. "we're here to watch some ###### hockey, cheer the team or go home and kiss, dance and watch it on tv"

I feel that this is the #1 reason that the fans are not into the game like they should be. The instant play stops, there is something going on on the jumbotron to distract the fans from what is going on on the ice. It is extremely frustrating to be a part of.

Was at the game as well and I think the crowd is brutal. I even turned to my buddy with 5 minutes to go and said ..what the hell, we have the lead with this amount of time against a tier 1 opponent and it's like they are losing. Even the playoff round last year was nothing like it used to be. I think it is the Sabres style of play more than it is the wins and losses. Whatever it is, I am trying to do my part to fix it (however small that may be).

Hopefully one day, the Bills and Sabres games will have the home field/ice advantage again because they certainly don't have it now....That aside, great game last night as I had a blast!

Just curious, because I live in Ithaca and never attend the games anymore...what specific "style of play" issues do you think the fans are reacting to so poorly? Was the crowd just spoiled by the Briere/Drury years?

In my opinion, the Sabres certainly aren't the most exciting team in the league, but they aren't the most boring either.

So, you get to make absurd assertions, but when you contradict yourself (afterall, who wants the biggest bust in Sabres history to have more ice time than the minimum?) you insult others for calling attention to it?

Be a Vanek hater. I dont care, but crying about him not getting enough ice time is a bizarre train of thought.

Dont put words in my mouth you fool. First off, I said he was heading towards becoming biggest bust of all time, and st the time he was playing like crap and team was mid way through November with out a home win. Hater? I hate him? Where did you get this? Because I think he isn't worth $50 mill and four first round picks I can't call for him to be on the ice? Do me a favor, just do not reply to any of my posts I'll do the same to yours, sound good chum?

? He was minus 1 before he scored, what's not being understood?

Not correct. Connolly wasn't on the ice for either Kings goal. The rules comment was referring to the fact that Connolly's goal was on the power play and therefore did not count towards his +/-. The assist was on the power play as well so also doesn't count. The +1 came from the Hecht goal, in which his clean face-off win contributed despite the lack of an assist credit. Connolly had a really nice game tonight and was the first star. It's time to give him some credit. He has been much better the last few weeks.

He was on for the first LA goal... check out the stat line later on.

No, he wasn't. The official scoring summary is as follows:

1 1 4:57 EV L.A 23 D.BROWN(9) 11 A.KOPITAR(13) 3 J.JOHNSON(13) 2, 3, 11, 23, 45, 74 |9, 26, 27, 30, 52, 63

2 2 0:37 EV BUF 44 A.SEKERA(2) 42 N.GERBE(3) 57 T.MYERS(4) 5, 13, 19, 22, 44, 45 | 28, 30, 36, 42, 44, 57

3 2 8:25 EV L.A 17 W.SIMMONDS(4) 5 P.HARROLD(2) 5, 15, 17, 26, 44, 45 | 20, 25, 27, 30, 52, 63

4 2 15:22 PP BUF 26 T.VANEK(7) 9 D.ROY(14) 19 T.CONNOLLY(8) 7, 8, 11, 26, 45 | 9, 19, 26, 29, 30, 57

5 3 2:10 PP BUF 19 T.CONNOLLY(5) 26 T.VANEK(9) 29 J.POMINVILLE(2) 2, 7, 22, 26, 45 | 9, 19, 26, 29, 30, 57

6 3 15:21 EV BUF 55 J.HECHT(2) 29 J.POMINVILLE(3) 4 S.MONTADOR(8) 3, 8, 13, 15, 17, 45 | 3, 4, 19, 29, 30, 55

On the ice for 3 of 4 Buffalo goals, neither of the Los Angeles goals. His power play points came against the best PK unit in the league.

Dont put words in my mouth you fool. First off, I said he was heading towards becoming biggest bust of all time, and st the time he was playing like crap and team was mid way through November with out a home win. Hater? I hate him? Where did you get this? Because I think he isn't worth $50 mill and four first round picks I can't call for him to be on the ice? Do me a favor, just do not reply to any of my posts I'll do the same to yours, sound good chum?

Vanek did not cost $50 mil and four first round picks. He only cost $50 mil.

While I wasn't in my usual spot (it's a lot louder there) I felt the fans were into this game, although not the loudest I've heard. It's correct, the jumbotron crap takes some momentum away from the chearing at times. My beef is the people that left after the whistle @ 4:50 to go. It's 3-2 and you just might see the best 5 minutes of hockey for the night and you leave? granted it did seem a lot of kids were there, so there's your grain of salt.

Tim Connelly = Phil Housley...

Connolly = Satan

fixed.

And FWIW, talking with some Sabres guys last night, they said DR's trying to trade him but there are no takers with his contract. They need a sweetener and DR doesn't was to add the sugar.

It's an opportunity cost. They had two choices: pay Vanek $50 million or receive 4 first-round picks. So, the cost of keeping him versus not was $50 million and 4 first-round picks.

That's just semantics and it also doesn't factor in what it would have cost the Sabres to let him go (and there would have been a cost to let him go). How much would those four first round picks have cost with no guarantee of any of them being as good as Vanek? Would anyone have bought season tickets having lost all three of it's stars in on off season?

IMO, Vanek is worth it. He's here and four possible stars aren't, get over it.

Not much Ennis in the third period, is he on the bench? Wondering if maybe he was hurt, or if Lindy simply benched him because LA's 2nd goal was somewhat his fault? Or is it just because Connolly/Pommer/Hecht have earned their ice time tonight.

You didn't see Ennis give the puck away for the Kings goal?

Well, that was a good win against another good team. First regulation win at home, I think -- and about time, too.

A few game notes:

1. I didn't like the way the Sabres started -- LA swarmed on offense, Rivet takes a slow-footed hooking penalty 2 minutes into the game, Miller gives up a not-so-great goal -- but Miller kept them in it until they got going. That didn't really happen though until the 2nd part of the 2nd period. I would like to see a 60-minute effort one of these days.

2. Good to see some life out of TC and his line. If they can keep it going, the Sabres are going to end up having a good season.

3. Miller played very well other than the first GA.

4. Sekera may have been the best defenseman on the ice last night -- and there were a lot of good ones in that game.

5. Gaustad and Grier have been playing very well lately.

6. I also think we'll see Miller tonight. If Lalime plays I can see TB lighting him up like a pinball machine.

Good Post, seeing a lot of the same things. I would add that had to be Gaustads best game of the year.

Connolly = Satan

fixed.

And FWIW, talking with some Sabres guys last night, they said DR's trying to trade him but there are no takers with his contract. They need a sweetener and DR doesn't was to add the sugar.

Well why the hell did he give him that kind of contract in the first place. This guy may be a decent GM for recognizing up and coming young players/talent but has no clue of true market value for established players. I believe no one would have signed Connolly away from Bflo for more than 2 million a year. If they keep DR quinn should hire/assign someone else to set player value/negotiate contracts,

IMO, Vanek is worth it. He's here and four possible stars aren't, get over it.

QFT, I have always liked Vanek just not his effort however it seems maybe the responsibilty of being a Dad may be translating to more responsibilty on the ice.

Oh and I do like him for Captain because I think he is ready to take that on more responsibly as well. Speaking from my experience having Kids can do that to you.

I don't know any players, so I'm curious about this.

How is a player affected knowing that the GM wants to trade him away? Does it motivate him to play better and stay, or get a better move? Or does he say ###### it, if you're moving me anyways, why should I care?

From how TC played yesterday, he looked pretty motivated. Actually that Pommer-TC-Hecht line had one of their best games of the year yest!