GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

thesportsbuff

Roy is seriously the only player worth having on this team. I'm out of patience with the rest of them. They try to play dump and chase but nobody chases, they try to execute give and go's but nobody goes. Connolly shoots the puck at defenders 3ft in front of him. The whole team has an issue with trying to make no-look passes when there's nobody where they're passing to. Ennis is out of position every shift, probably why he was replaced with Gerbe on Roy's line for the third period. At this rate, whether he gets more phantom assists or not, Ennis is going to find himself in Portland. He has been frustrating. Vanek was invisible, again. Montador can't keep a puck in the zone that slid flat on the ice all the way from the goal line. No hustle from anybody, no brains from anybody. If I'm Darcy Regier I give the team one more game, then I start shipping EVERYBODY out of town for whatever I can get. Time to rebuild. I was one of the most optimistic fans in the off-season, but tonight was the last straw. They were awful, again. Stupid shots, stupid passes, stupid dumps, stupid clears. I can't think of one player besides Roy who has had a positive effect this season. Niedermayer hasn't been bad, and McCormick has mostly done his job, but jesus christ the rest of the team has been god awful.

if your Darcy your probably sitting on your hands in your office humming to yourself thinking about how amazing your team is when playing NHL 11

You seriously think he is going to do anything even if this team continues to struggle? Look at how he handled the team after that embarassing pplayoff series, he lets Hank and Lydman walk, replaces them with 2 guys that are equal replacements at best and brought in Neidermeyer a veteran who most usually have to add "Not Scott" after they say his name, and ran Kennedy out of town cause he made them look like a fool by taking them to arbitration. Its status quo as usual, no need to try and upgrade in the offseason, lets just keep riding the hot goalie, it worked for them with Hasek

if your Darcy your probably sitting on your hands in your office humming to yourself thinking about how amazing your team is when playing NHL 11

You seriously think he is going to do anything even if this team continues to struggle? Look at how he handled the team after that embarassing pplayoff series, he lets Hank and Lydman walk, replaces them with 2 guys that are equal replacements at best and brought in Neidermeyer a veteran who most usually have to add "Not Scott" after they say his name, and ran Kennedy out of town cause he made them look like a fool by taking them to arbitration. Its status quo as usual, no need to try and upgrade in the offseason, lets just keep riding the hot goalie, it worked for them with Hasek

I don't care about Hank and Lydman being gone. You're grossly overrating them. Neidermayer has been a nice addition, played much better than most of the other forwards. Kennedy is in the AHL.

But everyone else blows.

Morrisonn with a groin injury per Lindy.

"Doesn't look good."

That will mean that one of Butler or Weber will play on Friday. I would love to see a Weber-Myers pairing. I think it could be a really good combination. I have not been all that impressed with Morrison since the season started. I actually would also like to see Butler in for Sekera on Friday just to see some changes in the lineup to see if these guys could add any spark from the defense. I doubt it will happen aside from someone coming in to plug in for Morrison, but I'd like to see some changes with the existing guys on the roster.

one thing i'd like to add re: stafford. plenty has been said about him. "worthless POS"; "get a bag of pucks for him"; and the like.

but what struck me as i watched my first full game of the season this year was how apparently lacking in "hockey IQ" he is. it's not that he's floating, or not skating, or not trying (although he is the king of taking the puck wide, around the net), it's more so that he is consistently not where he needs to be in order to make a play. he seems to have no knack whatsoever for being in a spot that will help the play in the offensive zone. the sabres can't unload that guy soon enough.

Time to go back to portland sekera
Rivet needs to retire and Sekera should be playing in the ECHL.

that play on the GWG was kennedy-esque, but i thought he otherwise had a pretty strong game. still, i'm not sure that he's going to make it. with those wheels, he could be KHL-bound eventually.

They should take no pride in getting a point.

consolation? :wallbash:

I can't believe I am about to say this, but i finally may give in and say it may be time for a new coach.

this team just comes out flat way too often for too many years

i'm more open now to rolling a hand grenade down the aisle than i was during the off-season. which is not to say that i see a 12th place finish -- i just see ... more of the same.

with all of that said, the second and third periods kept me entertained.

Is there some gypsy curse on all Buffalo sports teams? We're getting blanked by a short benched team.

PTR

Is it time to push the panic button. Their are so many players right now on this team that just don't look like NHL hockey players.

Wow, just wow. I am sorry but I have to lay it on coaching. I read/heard him announce this team has what it takes to be competing for the SC, well then Lindy your sh!ting the bed with your lineup combinations and PP coaching not to mention not having them ready to play, seems like perfect time to extend his contract BfLo style 3 more years..

Morrisonn with a groin injury per Lindy.

"Doesn't look good."

Lindy looked at his groin? Is that common in the NHL?

Another lackluster performance by a team that has clearly grown stale. This is what happens when you refuse to make changes. Connolly and Rivet are just horrible. Connolly deserves to be benched and Rivet deserves to be waived. Has Gaustad dressed for any of the games this year?

Shoot the puck, go to the net and hit someone. Bring up Adam and teach Kassian how to control the puck in the corners. Stafford is playing better in the corners and working hard, but he is still not hitting... softee the Tin Man is worse.

Morrison looks slow. Looks like we are going to miss Hank and Lydman more than anyone anticipated. Weber probably needs to be called up and please find an instigator. Someone that can get under the other teams skin on defense....

The only positive from that game was that Miller played LIGHTS OUT.

He was back to Vezina form.

Morrison is injured. I'd like to see Leopold paired with Myers, Weber play with Sekera, Rivet and Montador.

Honestly though, Rivet still looks to be pretty horrible. I've never seen a dman with as much experience as Rivet fail so consistently to keep the puck in the opposing teams zone. He has ZERO pinching ability. The puck always jumps his stick.

I think there is quite a bit of overreaction going on here.

If the Sabres had converted on that bang-bang play in OT or one of their many chances in the last 2 periods, the tune would be quite different.

They were playing a very good team tonight that was desperate for a win. They were outplayed in the first but Miller kept them in it until they got their act together. At that point it was still 0-0 and the Sabres carried the play for the better part of the last 2 periods.

There were other positives in tonight's game, including the return of elite play from Miller, strong defensive play and decision-making from Myers and, for the last 2 periods, good team defense.

For the record, on the GWG, Roy committed the initial turnover on a half-assed play in the neutral zone. Sekera very shortly thereafter lost a battle, but he didn't turn it over as he never had possession.

I do agree though that TC and Vanek continue to stink. The Sabres' chief problem continues to be ineffective play by the so-called top 6.

If Morrisonn is out, I predict we'll see Butler before Weber, although I'd rather see Weber.

If the Sabres had converted on that bang-bang play in OT or one of their many chances in the last 2 periods, the tune would be quite different.

They were playing a very good team tonight that was desperate for a win. They were outplayed in the first but Miller kept them in it until they got their act together. At that point it was still 0-0 and the Sabres carried the play for the better part of the last 2 periods.

There were other positives in tonight's game, including the return of elite play from Miller, strong defensive play and decision-making from Myers and, for the last 2 periods, good team defense.

For the record, on the GWG, Roy committed the initial turnover on a half-assed play in the neutral zone. Sekera very shortly thereafter lost a battle, but he didn't turn it over as he never had possession.

I do agree though that TC and Vanek continue to stink. The Sabres' chief problem continues to be ineffective play by the so-called top 6.

If Morrisonn is out, I predict we'll see Butler before Weber, although I'd rather see Weber.

Yes and yes.

Love how NJD contain Derek Roy and the rest of the offense has troubles even putting up shots. As someone said, this could be a really long season. I can't believe I am about to say this, but i finally may give in and say it may be time for a new coach.

Not saying this is all on coaching, because it isn't, but, this team just comes out flat way too often for too many years, even the year they won the president's trophy they had some horrific games.

Remember when you were in grade school and there was this one teacher who had been there for years....they would teach exactly the same material year in and year out and even used the same damn tests. If you had an older sibling who had this teacher before you and they told you what a monumental bore the teacher was, you dreaded having to take that teacher's class.

Now imagine you've been in the same class for three or four years in a row. Your brain shuts down. I think that is what is happening with the Sabres. Lindy's message just doesn't get through any more. The new guys heard from the other guys how bad it is and they hate the system before they've even given it a chance.

Too much of any one thing (no matter how good or bad) is counterproductive. If the Sabres flop at home against the Canadiens Friday night, I think it is time for the FO to seriously consider replacing Ruff. The fans are already booing the team (and fake-cheering when the team just gets a shot on goal). What is the arena going to be like after a few more home losses?

I've been on board to get rid of Ruff. No hard feelings, but he's mismatched with the roster.

The team has nothing. No cohesive identity except their Vezina winning goalie. Lindy wants to play this neutral zone trapping boring ass team defense, but he doesn't have the players to do it. He's mismatched with the current roster. He's wasting his time. He needs to go to a team with big physical brutes, he'd be more effective as a coach there. I want a coach that will play up tempo, attack hockey. I envy the Flyers and Laviolette.

The Sabres will do fine with Ruff on board, but I feel we could do better.

Doesnt matter. The status quo will never change.

Is it time to push the panic button. Their are so many players right now on this team that just don't look like NHL hockey players.

Wow, just wow. I am sorry but I have to lay it on coaching. I read/heard him announce this team has what it takes to be competing for the SC, well then Lindy your sh!ting the bed with your lineup combinations and PP coaching not to mention not having them ready to play, seems like perfect time to extend his contract BfLo style 3 more years..

I've been on board to get rid of Ruff. No hard feelings, but he's mismatched with the roster.

The team has nothing. No cohesive identity except their Vezina winning goalie. Lindy wants to play this neutral zone trapping boring ass team defense, but he doesn't have the players to do it. He's mismatched with the current roster. He's wasting his time. He needs to go to a team with big physical brutes, he'd be more effective as a coach there. I want a coach that will play up tempo, attack hockey. I envy the Flyers and Laviolette.

The Sabres will do fine with Ruff on board, but I feel we could do better.

Doesnt matter. The status quo will never change.

I have no doubt that Lindy Ruff is a good coach and if he were not the Sabres coach he would have 5 offers in less than 30 minutes. But....

I'm seeing the same players respond the same way to what Lindy is selling, and it's not good. At least they aren't teasing us with a fast start before settling into a slump. They went right to "suck."

If Darcy won't change the players then maybe they need someone else behind the bench just to get these guys to wake up. It's pretty obvious they are tuning Lindy out.

PTR

I have no doubt that Lindy Ruff is a good coach and if he were not the Sabres coach he would have 5 offers in less than 30 minutes. But....

I'm seeing the same players respond the same way to what Lindy is selling, and it's not good. At least they aren't teasing us with a fast start before settling into a slump. They went right to "suck."

If Darcy won't change the players then maybe they need someone else behind the bench just to get these guys to wake up. It's pretty obvious they are tuning Lindy out.

PTR

I had this french teacher all throughout high school, and honestly he was probably the best teacher in the whole school in terms of connecting with students and teaching them the material. He had great methods that always kept the students involved and interested. But over the years I got buddy-buddy with him, we always talked about all sorts of stuff not relating to French -- he was actually into hockey and we had daily conversations about the Sabres. Long story short, I always took the easy way out and did the minimal amount of work to get a passing grade because I was so comfortable with him as a teacher and knew he wouldn't totally grill me in front of the class, and now I can barely recall more than a few phrases of French. I wonder if the same thing is happening with the Sabres. Most of these guys have had Lindy as a coach since their first day in the NHL, and it wouldn't surprise me if after a few successful seasons early on, they connected on more of a friend-friend level as opposed to a coach-player level. There's no denying that Lindy Ruff is one of the best coaches of all time, but once the players start brushing off your warnings and stop taking what you say to heart, it may be time for a change of scenery.

I had this french teacher all throughout high school, and honestly he was probably the best teacher in the whole school in terms of connecting with students and teaching them the material. He had great methods that always kept the students involved and interested. But over the years I got buddy-buddy with him, we always talked about all sorts of stuff not relating to French -- he was actually into hockey and we had daily conversations about the Sabres. Long story short, I always took the easy way out and did the minimal amount of work to get a passing grade because I was so comfortable with him as a teacher and knew he wouldn't totally grill me in front of the class, and now I can barely recall more than a few phrases of French. I wonder if the same thing is happening with the Sabres. Most of these guys have had Lindy as a coach since their first day in the NHL, and it wouldn't surprise me if after a few successful seasons early on, they connected on more of a friend-friend level as opposed to a coach-player level. There's no denying that Lindy Ruff is one of the best coaches of all time, but once the players start brushing off your warnings and stop taking what you say to heart, it may be time for a change of scenery.

Yes, there is.

Lindy's a good x's and o's coach, but he sucks when it comes to motivating, hasn't the first clue about line chemistry, mismanages his backup goalies, and is clueless when it comes to coaching a PP.

In my book, that doesn't qualify as one of the best coaches of all time.

But I'm splitting hairs, overall I agree 100%.

Personally, I think its a strong positive that for how much NJ dominated possession, we kept a clean sheet through regulation. They had shot after shot after shot and, whether its just Miller or the D in general, it was impressive they didn't find the net. Happy about our penalty kill too.

Loved the burst we showed in the 2nd period though. Very encouraging.

Overall just not crisp enough on offense though, lots of misplaced passes and wasted shots. They were playing pretty damn good D though, in my opinion.

You people are insane, Lindy has won coach of the year and was chosen to coach team canada for the olympics. People with a lot more hockey smarts than you have looked at lindy and what he does with this team and think hes great.

You really think a new coach is going to come in and turn around a team with such superstars as derek roy and tim connolly???? nuts. look at the teams that win the stanley cup and see how much more talent they hae on their rosters, come back and tell me its all because they are tuning Lindy out.

You people are insane, Lindy has won coach of the year and was chosen to coach team canada for the olympics. People with a lot more hockey smarts than you have looked at lindy and what he does with this team and think hes great.

You really think a new coach is going to come in and turn around a team with such superstars as derek roy and tim connolly???? nuts. look at the teams that win the stanley cup and see how much more talent they hae on their rosters, come back and tell me its all because they are tuning Lindy out.

As an assistant coach, and only managed a silvermedal with the best team he's ever going to coach at the world championships, and why? Because Team Canada didn't show up for the final against Russia. Sound familiar?

Who ever gives a flying ###### if he won coach of the year? That was a lifetime ago in hockey terms.

No argument on the "talent" he has available to him, but at this point the solution to this teams troubles include kicking out both Ruff and Regier first, then purging the roster of dead weight.

People who are considered to "have a lot more hockey smarts" than I, BUILT this sorry excuse for a roster.

As an assistant coach, and only managed a silvermedal with the best team he's ever going to coach at the world championships, and why? Because Team Canada didn't show up for the final against Russia. Sound familiar?

Who ever gives a flying ###### if he won coach of the year? That was a lifetime ago in hockey terms.

No argument on the "talent" he has available to him, but at this point the solution to this teams troubles include kicking out both Ruff and Regier first, then purging the roster of dead weight.

People who are considered to "have a lot more hockey smarts" than I, BUILT this sorry excuse for a roster.

agreed. :thumbsup:

Desperate for a win, yes, but New Jersey is a very good team? I could have sworn I saw Adam Mair skating for them last night.

Can't the Sabres just play every game on the road? Luckily, if they make the playoffs, I'm sure it will be in one of the 5-8 slots.

Archived