Around the NHL 2010-2011

spndnchz

And whether or not these pictures are real, why does it really matter? Avery is on record stating that he's a big fan of purses. Does that somehow impact the type of hockey player he is?

Not to mention, if the photos are real, is it the consesus that what is taking place in that photo makes someone gay? Athletes always engage in locker room type behavior, it's stupid and somewhat homoerotic but I don't think it means they are slipping it in the five hole.

I give him credit for answering the bell. I wish Pomminstein had done the same when he was challenged, instead of holding on for dear life.

Yes sir he did more than Crosby did against Weber although you have to concede the mismatch with Weber.

What pommers did didn't do with Cooke was embarassing. You could see Cooke going like hey you grabbed me, we going to do this or what.

That's the type of soft response that gets the Sabres team a reputation as a bunch of softies real or imagined.

Yes sir he did more than Crosby did against Weber although you have to concede the mismatch with Weber.

What pommers did didn't do with Cooke was embarassing. You could see Cooke going like hey you grabbed me, we going to do this or what.

That's the type of soft response that gets the Sabres team a reputation as a bunch of softies real or imagined.

Yep.

The whole time the camera was on Cooke and Pommer I kept saying to the TV, "C'mon kid, you've got the gloves off, you need to go". He would've gained so much respect around the league if he would've manned up and threw a few punches. Instead, now it is painfully obvious to the whole league that he won't defend himself. IMO the target grew even bigger after that performance.

Yep.

The whole time the camera was on Cooke and Pommer I kept saying to the TV, "C'mon kid, you've got the gloves off, you need to go". He would've gained so much respect around the league if he would've manned up and threw a few punches. Instead, now it is painfully obvious to the whole league that he won't defend himself. IMO the target grew even bigger after that performance.

He does have respect around the league. You can see it any time he moves towards a goalie who has covered the puck. Most other guys on the team go to that position, they get a swift crosscheck to the chest. With Pominville, no one touches him. That has to say something (other than the "yeah, he's a pansy" response that I'm sure some have in mind). It also says something that the one guy who does wind up nearly fighting him is a notorious scumbag like Matt Cooke.

He does have respect around the league. You can see it any time he moves towards a goalie who has covered the puck. Most other guys on the team go to that position, they get a swift crosscheck to the chest. With Pominville, no one touches him. That has to say something (other than the "yeah, he's a pansy" response that I'm sure some have in mind). It also says something that the one guy who does wind up nearly fighting him is a notorious scumbag like Matt Cooke.

+1

And fighting Cooke after you've had a concussion wouldn't be such a great idea either. :thumbsup:

I couldn't disagree more. He has been getting absolutely pounded since he's come back from his concussion. There is no respect there.

And fighting Cooke after you've had a concussion wouldn't be such a great idea either.

Cooke isn't a very good fighter. Pommer didn't have anything to be afraid of there.

Me too but did his hit really deserve that type of response?

I don't know whether Ovi's hit "deserved" a response but there was one and I like that he answered it. IMO it was a clean hit. But I'm perfectly OK with a team responding to a clean but devastating hit. If nothing else, it makes the game more entertaining.

To be honest, I wish Sabre players reacted with more passion to big hits, clean or otherwise. It might just prevent more of those hits from being delivered on our guys. And like I said, it makes things more entertaining.

I couldn't disagree more. He has been getting absolutely pounded since he's come back from his concussion. There is no respect there.

There's a big difference between what happens during play and what happens after play. Don't go judging the thoughts of the entire league based on the actions of Matt Cooke. That's like asking Nate Gerbe his thoughts on a rollercoaster that he's too short to ride.

There's a big difference between what happens during play and what happens after play. Don't go judging the thoughts of the entire league based on the actions of Matt Cooke. That's like asking Nate Gerbe his thoughts on a rollercoaster that he's too short to ride.

I'm not making a judgement based on just Cooke's actions. Boston appeared to single out Pomminstein for punishment. So did the Sens and certainly Sharks. I don't remember exactly who it was that was doing the hitting in each game but I certainly did notice that Pomminstein took hits that he normally doesn't take. He (and that concussed head of his) is being targeted during play.

IMO you don't see him getting crosschecked in front of the net post-play because he's predominantly a perimeter player and the opposition knows he's too damn timid to swipe at the puck while the goalie is trying to cover it, not because he is so well respected. No doubt in my mind Vanek is more respected around the league. They know he's dangerous if he isn't beaten down around the crease.

I'm not making a judgement based on just Cooke's actions. Boston appeared to single out Pomminstein for punishment. So did the Sens and certainly Sharks. I don't remember exactly who it was that was doing the hitting in each game but I certainly did notice that Pomminstein took hits that he normally doesn't take. He (and that concussed head of his) is being targeted during play.

I forget what game it was but someone went after Gerbe's jaw.

This is why teams are so vague on injuries. The league knows Stafford and Pomminstein have been concussed this year. They make a point to put bodies on them.

I don't know whether Ovi's hit "deserved" a response but there was one and I like that he answered it. IMO it was a clean hit. But I'm perfectly OK with a team responding to a clean but devastating hit. If nothing else, it makes the game more entertaining.

To be honest, I wish Sabre players reacted with more passion to big hits, clean or otherwise. It might just prevent more of those hits from being delivered on our guys. And like I said, it makes things more entertaining.

Cody and Montador are the type to answer the bell. Rivet when he's in the lineup. You can't expect guys that aren't fighters to answer the bell especially after coming back from a concussion. So he's soft,so what. Every team in the league has players that shy away from fights. Thats why most teams ice a lineup that includes players that will answer the bell but no team in this league expects all of their players to fight.

Cody and Montador are the type to answer the bell. Rivet when he's in the lineup. You can't expect guys that aren't fighters to answer the bell especially after coming back from a concussion. So he's soft,so what. Every team in the league has players that shy away from fights. Thats why most teams ice a lineup that includes players that will answer the bell but no team in this league expects all of their players to fight.

right on.

also, this year's team has easily been more physical and responsive to hitting back than for the last few years, mostly because of what the younger kids like Weber and McCormick have brought in.

watch Weber when the puck is up against the boards, he is tough as nails and will beat.. you.. up.. wow!

I forget what game it was but someone went after Gerbe's jaw.

This is why teams are so vague on injuries. The league knows Stafford and Pomminstein have been concussed this year. They make a point to put bodies on them.

To be fair, the opposing players can't do much to change the fact that Gerbe's jaw is at knee level for them.

Brian Rolston's been waived by the Devils 5.06 cap hit.

I would bet they have an agreement with someone to claim him as that is a lot of cash to swallow. It's an above 35 contract too, so he still counts against the cap if he's sent to the minors. The only way that money disappears is if someone claims him.

Archived