Around the NHL 2010-2011

spndnchz

I know it was a simple case of incompetance and not fraud, but I'm still wondering how the refs made some of the calls they did in the Steelers-Seahawks Superbowl. :wacko:

I'm going to give you a hint. Be wary on betting Pittsburgh games in general. There have been plenty of shennanigans over the years. I will not speculate on who or as to why, but it's there. That SuperBowl was a 5star special.

Back before the giant TV deals guys could be had all the time. Impact players, refs, whoever. Even me who is MR. Cynical said "GTFOH". I think there is too much on the line for most players now, and even the college guys get taken care of by boosters.

Good thing about hockey, not enough people bet on it to move major money. You can spread a few million on Giants/Cowboys across the land and just budge it. $20K on Bluejackets/Thrashers has a series of phonecalls in place!

So much for the "star goalies don't really matter" theory. Can we end that crap now? I've never heard it outside of this board and WGR. It's the certain Vezina winner against Luongo, whom everyone crowned as a star long ago. And that certain Vezina winner pulled out a 1-0 shutout in a game 7. (No, I don't care how good his D was.)

Goalies win.

So much for the "star goalies don't really matter" theory. Can we end that crap now? I've never heard it outside of this board and WGR.

Roloson played a hell of a game, and he's not considered a star goalie....but the whole goalie argument that's been goin on since the philly series has been overkill

I'm going to give you a hint. Be wary on betting Pittsburgh games in general. There have been plenty of shennanigans over the years. I will not speculate on who or as to why, but it's there. That SuperBowl was a 5star special.

Back before the giant TV deals guys could be had all the time. Impact players, refs, whoever. Even me who is MR. Cynical said "GTFOH". I think there is too much on the line for most players now, and even the college guys get taken care of by boosters.

Good thing about hockey, not enough people bet on it to move major money. You can spread a few million on Giants/Cowboys across the land and just budge it. $20K on Bluejackets/Thrashers has a series of phonecalls in place!

maybe it's just because i'm relatively new to the board and haven't picked up on it as of yet...

but judging from todays posts i'd say you like to gamble...

Roloson played a hell of a game, and he's not considered a star goalie....but the whole goalie argument that's been goin on since the philly series has been overkill

And it only went on because Ruff failed to counter the Philly forecheck.

Spend less time in your own zone, and I'll guarantee that your goalie looks better on most nights.

Hasek couldn't carry his team to a cup, neither can Miller - But with the right mix of tools, I can certainly see him being a big part of a cup.

Doubt Ruff will ever understand this.

And it only went on because Ruff failed to counter the Philly forecheck.

Spend less time in your own zone, and I'll guarantee that your goalie looks better on most nights.

Hasek couldn't carry his team to a cup, neither can Miller - But with the right mix of tools, I can certainly see him being a big part of a cup.

Doubt Ruff will ever understand this.

Wondering .........How would you have countered the fore-check?

Wondering .........How would you have countered the fore-check?

Making much better passes would've been a start. Watching any other team this post-season should make it apparent just how poor the Sabres passing was in that series.

Seeing as that was unlikely to happen, clearing the puck instead of attempting to skate it out all the time would've worked to their advantage.

Sure, Philly regains possesion immediately 8 out of 10 times, but that's one of the major drawbacks of being low in your own zone like the Sabres usually are. They allowed several goals after being umable to clear the zone, a simple dump would likely have resulted in 1 or 2 less Philly tallies, and it's a different series altogether.

I wouldn't have kept 5 guys as low the Sabres did, as this apparently makes it too difficult for them to clear the zone properly.

Would any of this have worked? Hard to say, possibly not, as the biggest problem for the Sabres seems to be their passing not being good enough. But at least you have to try and counter somehow. IMHO, Ruff did not.

But are you really asking me, or are you trying to tell me that since Ruff didn't counter it, it must not be possible? I know for a fact that the Bruins beg to differ.

Making much better passes would've been a start. Watching any other team this post-season should make it apparent just how poor the Sabres passing was in that series.

Seeing as that was unlikely to happen, clearing the puck instead of attempting to skate it out all the time would've worked to their advantage.

Sure, Philly regains possesion immediately 8 out of 10 times, but that's one of the major drawbacks of being low in your own zone like the Sabres usually are. They allowed several goals after being umable to clear the zone, a simple dump would likely have resulted in 1 or 2 less Philly tallies, and it's a different series altogether.

I wouldn't have kept 5 guys as low the Sabres did, as this apparently makes it too difficult for them to clear the zone properly.

Would any of this have worked? Hard to say, possibly not, as the biggest problem for the Sabres seems to be their passing not being good enough. But at least you have to try and counter somehow. IMHO, Ruff did not.

But are you really asking me, or are you trying to tell me that since Ruff didn't counter it, it must not be possible? I know for a fact that the Bruins beg to differ.

I agree with this, there were several goals that occured because we got it 5 inches from the line but not out, and the philly forecjeck was indeed to much....maybe ruff tried to counter and the players didn't execute, but maybe he didn't have an answer

After being a coach for this long, I questions players loyalty. It seems like there have been several situations mishandled by our staff. Our PP looks awful, goalie situation jacked, still no captain. Plus he does not bench players correctly, I remember several games where hecht was just plain lazy and never saw press box time. But I forget ruff is in love with his moustache ride winger.

I think keeping him here to " an undisclosed" amount of time is wrong. There comes a point when the system doesn't work anymore, and we have reached that point. We need a total shake up and a new coach will absolutley bring that. The GM situation is wrong as well but that's been debated to death.

Honestly, how many here think the sabres ever win a cup with ruff? Its always a new excuse year after year of failing, even when we had the talent to get it done.

Not at all. I thought Ruff tried about everything but icing it. He dropped the wings which worked for a while. He dropped the centers - which worked for a while. They tried to clear which was okay....except for long changes in the second - then it doesn't help because you can't get bodies off the ice.

Mostly it was lack presence in the middle from forwards. I thought everything was tried. It was a game effort. They ran out of bodies.

Mostly the team was so limited at center by the end the defense would get possession and had no outlets.

Ruff tried just about everything until they ran out of time and bodies.

(PS. Perhaps you thought I was setting you up somehow - but really I was wondering what made you think it was poor coaching - the lines going into game 7 were pretty much a mess without Pominville and Connolly - and barely functional before that playing center by committee)

So it was possible....but when you are forced to drop Nathan Gerbe to the middle defensively as the first outlet option, you are a coach without a menu of decisions to make.

Not at all. I thought Ruff tried about everything but icing it. He dropped the wings which worked for a while. He dropped the centers - which worked for a while. They tried to clear which was okay....except for long changes in the second - then it doesn't help because you can't get bodies off the ice.

Mostly it was lack presence in the middle from forwards. I thought everything was tried. It was a game effort. They ran out of bodies.

Mostly the team was so limited at center by the end the defense would get possession and had no outlets.

(PS. Perhaps you thought I was setting you up somehow - but really I was wondering what made you think it was poor coaching - the lines going into game 7 were pretty much a mess without Pominville and Connolly - and barely functional before that playing center by committee)

So it was possible....but when you are forced to drop Nathan Gerbe to the middle defensively as the first outlet option, you are a coach without a menu of decisions to make.

Hard to disagree that injuries played a part, and I don't think there's any blaming that on the coaching. Also, the poor passing is an on-ice mistake first.

And I will agree, Ruff did try to get out of that stranglehold, but I didn't see any of it until game 5, which to me was too late.

But who knows, maybe I was paying enough attention.

One thing I do know - Make better passes (yes, forecheck is about forcing people to make bad passes among other things), and you fare much better.

Thank you.

Listening to Bettman press conference...

Winnepeg move hardly sounds celebratory....

Please buy tickets. It will only work if this building is always sold out.

We never should have left.

(no mention of Duds - I wonder if he survives the move...if not I would love to see him as Buffalo's director of Pro Scouting).

Average ticket price will be $80.

Cheapest ticket will be $39.

Archived