NHL 2ND ROUND PLAYOFF DISCUSSION

LabattBlue

Yes the Bills are top dog but it's all Sabres by January. Unlike Boston where anything beats the Bruins yearround.

PTR

Would it be that way if Buffalo had a major league baseball team or still had the Braves? I'm not saying it would, I don't know.

It is obvious that you can't buy yourself a championship, yet it takes some action in the off-season to accomplish the ultimate task of winning a championship. If you look at the Habs, they added Cammalleri, Gionta, Gomez, and even Spacek; Philly acquired Chris Pronger; SanJose added Heatley; and Chicago signed Hossa, and Madden. All of these teams are decent to great to begin with and all play team-oriented hockey. Dear Darcy Regier, see what free-agency can do? One of these teams will win the Cup and have a Superstar that was brought along for the ride to contribute to it. Ladies and Gentlemen: I rest my case.

So be it.

It is obvious that you can't buy yourself a championship, yet it takes some action in the off-season to accomplish the ultimate task of winning a championship. If you look at the Habs, they added Cammalleri, Gionta, Gomez, and even Spacek; Philly acquired Chris Pronger; SanJose added Heatley; and Chicago signed Hossa, and Madden. All of these teams are decent to great to begin with and all play team-oriented hockey. Dear Darcy Regier, see what free-agency can do? One of these teams will win the Cup and have a Superstar that was brought along for the ride to contribute to it. Ladies and Gentlemen: I rest my case.

So be it.

It's not just free agency. It's Regier's refusal to use all means available to improve his hockey team. Next to falling in love with his own players it is his second biggest flaw.

So be it.

All of them have also had a coaching change within the last two years.

So be it.

You might want to remove Gomez, Pronger and Heatley from your examples if that's the case you want to make.

So after watching the epic collapse of the great TUUKA RASK, and Philly completing one of the greatest comebacks in NHL history, I'm left with one thought: Danny Briere wins.

Years later, Danny is still doing his thing. He tied the game 3-3 with an impossible goal.

30 goals, 72 points in 75 playoff games.

:wallbash:

So after watching the epic collapse of the great TUUKA RASK, and Philly completing one of the greatest comebacks in NHL history, I'm left with one thought: Danny Briere wins.

Little known fact: Danny Briere finished the season with 666 career regular season games and he helped the Flyers beat the Bruins with their Satan. If the Devils had beaten Montreal in the first round, I would have been concerned.

Love how some Bruins are complaining about the too-many-men call. http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nhl/columns/story?columnist=mcdonald_joe&id=5190839

Recchi is quoted in that article, and in articles on boston.com, a few others are mentioned.

Also, about halfway through the video linked above, Barry Melrose compared Scotty Hartnell to Jesus Christ.

Love how some Bruins are complaining about the too-many-men call. http://sports.espn.g..._joe&id=5190839

Recchi is quoted in that article, and in articles on boston.com, a few others are mentioned.

Also, about halfway through the video linked above, Barry Melrose compared Scotty Hartnell to Jesus Christ.

I don't know that I've ever wanted to watch a video online this badly, but I'd have to install some Flash thing to do it.

I don't know that I've ever wanted to watch a video online this badly, but I'd have to install some Flash thing to do it.

Linda Cohn: I don't know who has better hair, Scotty Hartnell, or you, Barry.

Barry Melrose: I think he looks like Jesus Christ.

Linda Cohn: Whatever works!

Barry Melrose: He's playing like Jesus Christ.

Oh, Barry.

Jesus did many, many things--even a non-believer would have to acknowledge that he changed the course of civilization. But he did not play ice hockey.

Oh, Barry.

Jesus did many, many things--even a non-believer would have to acknowledge that he changed the course of civilization. But he did not play ice hockey.

Maybe not, but his dad does.

post-1429-12739332017651_thumb.jpg

That's for you, rbochan.

Oh, Barry.

He did walk on water. Sorry, that was bad.

TMMOTI penalty does in the Bruins. Gotta love those hockey gods. Weird sense of humor.

The Bruins have a history of doing this whenever a crucial game is on the line, no matter what epoch of time it is. IIRC, it cost them dearly in the late 70's when they were playing Montreal in the playoffs. (BTW, wasn't Don Cherry the coach way back when?)

I've been trying to imagine, since last night, what it must have felt like to be a Bruins fan. Say what you want about the team and maybe even their typical fan, but there are some real hockey fans there as well. I can't even wrap my head around what a collapse of that magnitude must have felt like. The pure joy of getting through the first round and then going up 3-0 in the series. Then, suffering through the increasing agony of watching them lose the next three. But wait, getting that exciting feeling back after going up 3-0 in the first 14 minutes of game seven, only to watch that lead crumble slowly and steadily over the last 46 minutes. That is an emotional roller coaster that may be unmatched in sports history, ending in the worse kind of despair. I hope I never feel that pain.

And, then, there's the Flyers ... squeaking into the playoffs by winning their final game against the eventual 9th-place team, then feeling the exact opposite of everything above. You can't pay for that kind of joy.

I've been trying to imagine, since last night, what it must have felt like to be a Bruins fan. Say what you want about the team and maybe even there typical fan, but there are some real hockey fans there as well. I can't even wrap my head around what a collapse of that magnitude must have felt like. The pure joy of getting through the first round and then going up 3-0 in the series. Then, suffering through the increasing agony of watching them lose the next three. But wait, getting that exciting feeling back after going up 3-0 in the first 14 minutes of game seven, only to watch that lead crumble slowly and steadily over the last 46 minutes. That is an emotional roller coaster that may be unmatched in sports history, ending in the worse kind of despair. I hope I never feel that pain.

And, then, there's the Flyers ... squeaking into the playoffs by winning their final game against the eventual 9th-place team, then feeling the exact opposite of everything above. You can't pay for that kind of joy.

Great post! :thumbsup:

I was listening to the game on the radio on the way home last night. Astonishing to say the least.

So the question is, was that the most monumental collaspe in NHL history and may in sports history?

We all know how few times it has been done in all of 7-series sports. But still, Boston was up 3-0 in game seven and lost.

In my opinion, this WAS THE BIGGEST FAILURE in sports usurping the Sox coming back on the Yankees...

Archived