NHL 2ND ROUND PLAYOFF DISCUSSION

LabattBlue

Stamped with, WHAT SHE SAID, YO!

"Making the third round" is a fairly useless description, and I'm surprised the normally precise carp would go there.

How about "Losing in the third round"?

Anyway, "making the third round" or "making the fourth round" is not what LQ vowed to do for Buffalo. What brings Darce to tears. What keeps Lindy coming back. I really wish LQ hadn't said it so many times, but he has and I'm holding his feet to the fire, even though I know it's BS, the contradiction therein the reason I am miserable.

Anyone who takes solace in those numbers, or pride, is a loser. And I know LQ would cite those numbers in a millisecond, hence my comment about carp working for him. The organization always has numbers like those handy after getting eliminated. Darcy did at the presser. LQ mentioned the overall winning percentage since the lockout being near the top of the league.

An organization whose stated goal is to win a Cup should never fall back to that position.

No, the record is not bleak. But the fact that the powers that be are so very comfortable with the success of the franchise makes the situation extremely bleak vis a vis the ultimate goal, IMHO.

OK, now my belly hurts. And it's spreading around to the back. Thanks Eleven.

Do U need a belly rub?

Question: Did the Pens lose (a) because of the system, (b) poor drafting/trading/management, © no effort, or (d) sometimes the better team runs into the hotter team and loses?

I ask this from the perspective of a fan of a team that was not anticipated to make the playoffs at all this year, as opposed to the perspective of a fan of the defending Cup champs.

And yeah, I'm still mad as ###### that the Sabres couldn't solve Rask and beat Boston.

Congrats to the Habs. Here is a team that finished #1 in the East two seasons ago followed by a disappointing season last season and didn't sit around making excuses like the Sabres front office does. They completely gutted their core and it paid off. If only Regier had the stones to try such a bold move. If only the Stanley Cup was the only goal here in Buffalo like it is in Montreal. Montreal was #1 in the East and they fired coaches and GM's and gutted the lineup. They didn't make excuses and present charts about injuries. They let a lot of quality players go. Players that would be on the top of the Sabres roster easily. While the Sabres, and many here, were celebrating the throwing away of $9 million on Tim Connolly the Habs were getting prepared to make major changes. Changes don;t guarantee a team a Stanley Cup. I do know that managing the roster scared and clinging to Status Quo guarantees you won't win a Stanley Cup.

What a come back by Philly. Here is a team that needs a tough rugged defenseman and they go out and get Chris Pronger. The Sabres go out and overpay for a Raig Rivet. How much better would Myers have been with Pronger as his partner. He just might have been a real Norris canidate. They Flyers have Pronger for a great price for years to come. The Sabres are stuck with a useless Captain for another season.

Question: Did the Pens lose (a) because of the system, (b) poor drafting/trading/management, © no effort, or (d) sometimes the better team runs into the hotter team and loses?

I ask this from the perspective of a fan of a team that was not anticipated to make the playoffs at all this year, as opposed to the perspective of a fan of the defending Cup champs.

And yeah, I'm still mad as ###### that the Sabres couldn't solve Rask and beat Boston.

The Pens lost because they faced a team that made the changes needed. The Habs got really good goaltending and the players they acquired came through for them. Both the Pens and Habs would have run the Sabres out in 5-6 games.

The Pens lost because they faced a team that made the changes needed. The Habs got really good goaltending and the players they acquired came through for them. Both the Pens and Habs would have run the Sabres out in 5-6 games.

But the Pens didn't need to make changes, right? I mean, they're defending champs, and twice-defending conference champs. What changes should they have made? It's more about the Habs getting good goaltending than anything, and I think the same about the Bs and Rask, too.

Anyway, the more I watch the EC playoffs, the more I'm ok. Seeds 1-5 are out. 6 is questionable right now, and either way, it's a 6-8 matchup or a 7-8 matchup. WOW. Who the ###### would have thought that up?

And I remember that we all just wanted the Sabres to make it to the playoffs this year; we didn't expect a Cup and we didn't expect them to win the division.

I'm more unsure every day that the Sabs simply weren't beaten by a hot goalie. (And then I remember some of the play in the Sabs' end, and I know what the reason is. Forwards can't get the ###### puck out of the zone.)

All that said, yes, I want some changes this summer.

But the Pens didn't need to make changes, right? I mean, they're defending champs, and twice-defending conference champs. What changes should they have made? It's more about the Habs getting good goaltending than anything, and I think the same about the Bs and Rask, too.

Anyway, the more I watch the EC playoffs, the more I'm ok. Seeds 1-5 are out. 6 is questionable right now, and either way, it's a 6-8 matchup or a 7-8 matchup. WOW. Who the ###### would have thought that up?

And I remember that we all just wanted the Sabres to make it to the playoffs this year; we didn't expect a Cup and we didn't expect them to win the division.

I'm more unsure every day that the Sabs simply weren't beaten by a hot goalie. (And then I remember some of the play in the Sabs' end, and I know what the reason is. Forwards can't get the ###### puck out of the zone.)

All that said, yes, I want some changes this summer.

The Pens did make changes.

Then the Sabres could have lasted one more round.

Who knows? Doing nothing as they did has been proven to be a mistake. They make a significant deal? Because the Devils didn't go further doesn't mean that having Kovi in a Sabres uni would have had greater results. There are no guarantees that making a move will ever work they way it's intended. There is a guarantee that doing nothing won't improve your team.

Darcy should have. That's his job. I think a lot of fans realized how wide-open the conference was. Heck, the SABRES were almost the second seed!

While the Sabres, and many here, were celebrating the throwing away of $9 million on Tim Connolly the Habs were getting prepared to make major changes. Changes don;t guarantee a team a Stanley Cup.

I would like to ask Darcy how he feels, in retrospect, about his "we feels he's as good as any center that will be available this Summer" comment ...

Tim Connolly 6GP 0G 1A 1P

Mike Cammalleri 14GP 12G 6A 18P

Who knows? Doing nothing as they did has been proven to be a mistake. They make a significant deal? Because the Devils didn't go further doesn't mean that having Kovi in a Sabres uni would have had greater results. There are no guarantees that making a move will ever work they way it's intended. There is a guarantee that doing nothing won't improve your team.

And in many circumstances, doing something has proven to be a mistake, or hasn't produced a Cup. Like the Devils, or the Coyotes, or whatever team that made a deal that isn't around right now. Look, I'm as pissed as you are that I'm not watching Sabres hockey tonight. But Kovy with the Sabres is like a fish with a bicycle, and the Sabs did make a deal that looked good--at the time. Then, the guy just busted. (And never played with the right line, which is on Lindy. He's not immune from criticism just because I don't want him fired.) Only one team wins; is it because of the deals the team made?

But bottom line: you and I and most everyone here expected a 9th place finish and hoped for better. We got better. I look at it now as a building year, with changes to be made (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, LQ, MAKE THE CHANGES!), and with a hopeful outlook for the future. You don't have to have the same outlook, but you'll be a happier DeLuca if you do.

6 -- A bright young coach whom the players can relate to. It took Bylsma one period to take apart the scheme the Habs employed against Washington. Lindy would grow very, very old trying to figure that out.

Think Bylsma should have analyzed the scheme the Habs used against the Pens instead? :doh:

The Pens did make changes.

Were the Pens prevented to holding on to Hal Gill by the cap? I had a bad feeling that when he went elsewhere after getting the Cup last June that the Pens wouldn't repeat.

Clearly it's a conspiracy as Montreal is still somehow celebrating that 100th anniversary.

I really don't think so. They outplayed that Caps, and now they just knocked off the defending champs. Plus, they have something else working in their favor: not having Bob Gainey as their GM.

Why do you have to get me stirred up? I'm finally decompressing from the season. Doc says now that my BP is down, my AAA is unlikely to rupture.

Step away from the coffee...s l o w l y.

Briere with the GWG. Just another kick in the balls as I keep being reminded how DR & LQ ###### it up and could have had him for 5 for 25. :angry:

Don't you think that OSP might have had something to do with that as well, or has he basically turned everything over to a land developer who knows nothing about hockey?

Archived