NHL 2ND ROUND PLAYOFF DISCUSSION

LabattBlue

Don't you think that OSP might have had something to do with that as well, or has he basically turned everything over to a land developer who knows nothing about hockey?

Don't you think that OSP might have had something to do with that as well? Maybe.

...or has he basically turned everything over to a land developer who knows nothing about hockey? Much more likely!

Congrats to the Habs. Here is a team that finished #1 in the East two seasons ago followed by a disappointing season last season and didn't sit around making excuses like the Sabres front office does. They completely gutted their core and it paid off.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but remember that an awful lot of Habs fans (and maybe analysts, too) didn't think they had done such a good job early in the season... Montreal was a mess in the early going and looked a lot like the Rangers for a while. I'm curious what made the difference for them where it worked out and they eventually really came together to make a good team where the Rangers have ended up a collection of stars who never manage to gel. Is that coaching, or is it the players?

I'm not disagreeing with you, but remember that an awful lot of Habs fans (and maybe analysts, too) didn't think they had done such a good job early in the season... Montreal was a mess in the early going and looked a lot like the Rangers for a while. I'm curious what made the difference for them where it worked out and they eventually really came together to make a good team where the Rangers have ended up a collection of stars who never manage to gel. Is that coaching, or is it the players?

It's a mix of smart front office moves to bring in the right players and having a coach that can connect with those players and bring out their best. It has to start upstairs. nothing changes for the Sabres until the front office realizes what they are doing is not working.

I think what most of us are struggling with is this question -- why not the Sabres?

Part of the answer is obvious enough. They aren't good enough.

But there are intangibles at play, some we might not understand. There's a bad vibe surrounding the Sabres. It can be felt, and has been noted many times, in the arena. The owner is absent. The managing partner is, by all accounts, a smug creep. (Still can't get over the story about LQ grabbing the hair piece off of Art Wander's head.) The GM is a weak, sniveling, panty-waist (waste). The coach is depressed. Then you have the slug. The difference in record in and out of the slug is pretty remarkable.

It's all about chemistry in this sport, I believe. Sometimes all the pieces are there, but it doesn't combine just right. So you have to constantly tweak, change up the pieces. Except in Buffalo. Not only is the on-ice product too stale (despite DR's word-parsing about turning over the lineup every four years), everything else is, too.

This franchise needs a shakeup in the worst way. And it's not going to happen. Get used to the what-ifs and the why-not-us-es, friends.

I think what most of us are struggling with is this question -- why not the Sabres?

But there are intangibles at play, some we might not understand. There's a bad vibe surrounding the Sabres. It can be felt, and has been noted many times, in the arena. The owner is absent. The managing partner is, by all accounts, a smug creep. (Still can't get over the story about LQ grabbing the hair piece off of Art Wander's head.) The GM is a weak, sniveling, panty-waist (waste). The coach is depressed. Then you have the slug. The difference in record in and out of the slug is pretty remarkable.

It's all about chemistry in this sport, I believe. Sometimes all the pieces are there, but it doesn't combine just right. So you have to constantly tweak, change up the pieces. Except in Buffalo. Not only is the on-ice product too stale (despite DR's word-parsing about turning over the lineup every four years), everything else is, too.

This franchise needs a shakeup in the worst way. And it's not going to happen. Get used to the what-ifs and the why-not-us-es, friends.

While I agree with most of this, I'll still take the slug over this thing.

post-1429-12737646493044_thumb.jpg

I've seen better logos in my rec league.

The franchise and the fan base need a shot in the arm. I was hoping for a shift in priorities and goals for the team. There is nothing sadder than reading post after post on how we should all be happy because nobody expected a division title. There should only be one goal/priority. That is to win the Stanley Cup. It wasn't the priority this season. They let many chances to improve the roster go by. They wasted a great year by Miller. This off season needs to be about the Stanley Cup and getting the fan base to believe it is a possibility. If they don't the negativity around the team and the fan base will continue to grow. Look at how bad things have gotten for the Bills. The Bills are a punchline. The Sabres are heading in that direction.

Agreed, especially the issue of intangibles (chemistry being the critical intangible). After all, how could teams with the talent of the Caps and Pens cough up hairballs in the playoffs? Could it be that Hal Gill is the key to a successful cup run?

As for change. I think most of us agree on that point, though we won't agree on the details (Darcy vs. Lindy vs. the "core"). I also think many of us agree that any change we do see between now and next season won't be enough to make a real difference.

In the meantime, I'll have to squander my free time by watching the Pittsburgh Pirates, my train-wreck of a baseball team, make a serious run at an 18th consecutive losing season.

Agreed, especially the issue of intangibles (chemistry being the critical intangible). After all, how could teams with the talent of the Caps and Pens cough up hairballs in the playoffs? Could it be that Hal Gill is the key to a successful cup run?

As for change. I think most of us agree on that point, though we won't agree on the details (Darcy vs. Lindy vs. the "core"). I also think many of us agree that any change we do see between now and next season won't be enough to make a real difference.

In the meantime, I'll have to squander my free time by watching the Pittsburgh Pirates, my train-wreck of a baseball team, make a serious run at an 18th consecutive losing season.

But you probably enjoy watching the Pirates, as I enjoyed watching the Mets circa 1976-78. No illusion of being a contender.

I can remember only two times in Sabres history where as an irrational fan I didn't feel like the Sabres were moving toward a Cup, some times closer to getting there than others, but always moving in that direction. The later Bowman years and the season after Hasek left. After Bowman the Sabres got Pierre Turgeon and then Pat LaFontaine. After Hasek, a multibillionare owner. Even missing the playoffs in '96 didn't faze me, as I trusted Muckler.

I'm not saying this is the third time, but I'm getting close. Which might be a good thing. Maybe my whole philosophy of being a fan has been built on a lie. I gnash my teeth, as SDS said, because I always think a Cup is right around the corner. Maybe I should take the advice of others and just enjoy having an NHL team in Buffalo.

Maybe this is as good as it gets.

[/b]

It's a mix of smart front office moves to bring in the right players and having a coach that can connect with those players and bring out their best. It has to start upstairs. nothing changes for the Sabres until the front office realizes what they are doing is not working.

I hope H E L L doesn't freeze over before that happens.

I hate the fact that I have to say this, but I hope the Bruins beat the Flyers tomorrow night. I don't think any of us can stand the thought of Peter Laviolette going to another ECF.

Why? It has no bearing on the Sabres current situation.

The rumors have started. Malkin might be traded. Pens spending 21million on their centers and have no wingers. Crosby? No way Lemieux's pet gets sent to the pound. Stall? at 4 mill he's cheap. Montreal spent all their energy 'just' covering the centers all game. It's the Pens achilles.

Roy (signed longer) or Connolly plus Stafford for Malkin. Pretty even swap salary wise. Both teams get what they need. :D

The rumors have started. Malkin might be traded. Pens spending 21million on their centers and have no wingers. Crosby? No way Lemieux's pet gets sent to the pound. Stall? at 4 mill he's cheap. Montreal spent all their energy 'just' covering the centers all game. It's the Pens achilles.

Roy (signed longer) or Connolly plus Stafford for Malkin. Pretty even swap salary wise. Both teams get what they need. :D

If he's really on the market, I can't help but think that Boston and their 2nd overall pick would be a major player.

Why? It has no bearing on the Sabres current situation.

Um, sir, I was sticking to the topic. You know, NHL 2nd Round Playoff Discussion. :pirate:

I just don't want the Broad Street Beavers to advance to the ECF, and, unless I'm wrong, most people in this forum don't like Peter Laviolette and have expressed their displeasure in him by calling him Labialette.

Where did you get this? I'd be highly surprised if you cited Eklund, because you don't seem like the type who would chase after his flatulating rumors.

However, if it's true that the Pens are shopping him around, then something must be going on in Pgh. that we're not aware of. Hopefully, it's not an in-house dispute.

Where did you get this? I'd be highly surprised if you cited Eklund, because you don't seem like the type who would chase after his flatulating rumors.

However, if it's true that the Pens are shopping him around, then something must be going on in Pgh. that we're not aware of. Hopefully, it's not an in-house dispute.

Was written up in a few respectable articles. Remember all the hub-bub day after $hit going on here? Seemed to make sense though, they need better wingers. Besides they have like 8 centermen and 12 wingers.

Archived