NHL 2ND ROUND PLAYOFF DISCUSSION

LabattBlue

I was just thinking how good these playoffs have been. They have been pretty intense and it seems like they have been going for a long time, and it's only the end of round two. I really do think the Stanley Cup is one of the hardest trophies in sports to achieve. If you make it all the way to the end of this two month battle and win it, you probably deserve it (I just threw up in my mouth a little giving any kind of credit to Carolina or Brett Hull, but it's true).

I'd say it'll take a little more than TC and Staff for Malkin. Maybe TC, Staff, Prospect/(Gerbe?), 3rd?

You're not getting a Malkin in a trade with any offer that does not include Vanek or Myers. Malkin is a elite talent and packaging up the Sabres crap isn't going to get it done.

You're not getting a Malkin in a trade with any offer that does not include Vanek or Myers. Malkin is a elite talent and packaging up the Sabres crap isn't going to get it done.

One for one is not what the Pens are looking for IMO. They need more wingers, they've got tons of centers. Replacing one Malkin with two decent wingers IMO would make sense. You spend the same amount of money but have two players in positions that need to be filled. Sure, throw in a pick or good prospect.

One for one is not what the Pens are looking for IMO. They need more wingers, they've got tons of centers. Replacing one Malkin with two decent wingers IMO would make sense. You spend the same amount of money but have two players in positions that need to be filled. Sure, throw in a pick or good prospect.

I'd love to hear that convo between Darce and Lindsey. "Vanek and Staff and a pick for Malkin, Lindy." "No freakin way Darce. What am I going to do with a Russian who can score?"

Problem is that Vanek is the only decent winger on the roster. If the Sabres acquire Malkin for Vanek (plus whatever) then the Sabres have a center with no one on the wing to score. They would be filling one hole and creating another.

Problem is that Vanek is the only decent winger on the roster. If the Sabres acquire Malkin for Vanek (plus whatever) then the Sabres have a center with no one on the wing to score. They would be filling one hole and creating another.

Let's leave inkman's sex life out of this.

Isn't it easier to find a scoring winger than an elite center? I think Darcy would agree with that.

Is "build your team up the middle" still a fashionable saying?

MILLER

MYERS

MALKIN

Reading that story I got the sense that it's just some hockey writer speculating. Playing what-if. However, if the Pens were to think about dumping Malkin, I'd have some reservations about making a play for him. First, he makes $8.7 million according to that article. Wouldn't that be a big hit to the Sabres' cap situatin? Second: Isn't that a lot to pay for a center who coughed up a hairball in the playoffs. After all, the Sabres already have one of those in Connolly. And nearly everyone on this board wants to get rid of him.

Just thought I would revisit this post because I'm a pain.

Here's the salient point

You would? Can you come up with a single example in the NHL since free agency started? Hossa to Detroit is about the only example I can think of, and he went for one year and then bailed for the money ... so Babcock's genius could not keep him there. Still, I guess Babcock would be an example in this case ... but even then, would people be flocking to play for him or to play with Datsyuk/Lidstrom/Zetterberg/etc.?

Who else is an "elite coach?" One who won a Cup? Like Tortorella? Think the Rangers are enjoying what a happy guy he is? Laviolette? Three years removed from a Cup, been fired and now working wonders (not) with Philly. Hitchcock is sinking fast in Columbus.

I am NOT saying Ruff is better than these guys just because he has kept his job, but come on ... if there is any consideration beyond money, it's the other star players on the team, not the coach. I could be coaching the Penguins and free agents would consider playing for me if I could fit them under the cap and put them on Crosby's wing.

BTP

TMMOTI penalty does in the Bruins. Gotta love those hockey gods. Weird sense of humor.

Losing a game seven 4-3 after leading 3-0 in the first period. The lost the game and a series after being up 3-0. Ryan Miller's number? 30! Kind of eerie.

Losing a game seven 4-3 after leading 3-0 in the first period. The lost the game and a series after being up 3-0. Ryan Miller's number? 30! Kind of eerie.

Don't rake those grass clippings! They're good for the lawn.

Archived