GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Well everyone, it's been a fun (and sometimes frustrating) ride, but time for me to unplug the neon light, hang up the jersey, and take a mental break from hockey for a few days. Looking forward to an entertaining Cup final, some well-deserved awards in Vegas this June, and a productive offseason.

Do you actually see what he has to work with in Buffalo? How many of the guys that leave here do much when they leave? Briere, Drury, Campbell all declined when they left. Most of them only shine when they get to play against Buffalo

Speaking of which it would be the friggin devil that buries us :wallbash:

There's heart in this thread now too. Thank you shrader.

BTW, sorry that we won't see the next fourteen portions of your new avatar revealed. It was a pretty cool idea, though, and although you're a constant complainer, the optimism you showed with that slow-reveal avatar thing solidified, IMO, the fact that you really do love this team.

Do you actually see what he has to work with in Buffalo? How many of the guys that leave here do much when they leave? Briere, Drury, Campbell all declined when they left. Most of them only shine when they get to play against Buffalo

One could make the argument that all three signed monster deals and then got complacent. That's not the whole story, but I think it plays a key role.

No, there were questionable calls in the first and second. And goals on two of them. Really. I do not think this was an evenly-officiated game tonight. And what did you think of my second point? Connolly and Stafford? Goodbye, and goodbye, AFAIC.

The officiating was suspect at times throughout the series, and hurt both teams. The Sabres had more power plays, no?

I'd like to know what Connolly's health situation was -- but you were on him all season.

I have no problem with clearing out any of the core players. The Sabres could build around Vanek, but I see no point in that with Ruff behind the bench.

By the way, who made Brian Koziol owner of the Sabres? He insists Regier and Ruff aren't going anywhere. Funnier things have happened in professional sports.

Methinks Raffi needs to give back whatever pro-rated portion of his salary the Sabres were on the hook for. I've been racking my brain trying to think of a bigger waste of a deal in the history of Buffalo sports. I can't think of one.

GO SABRES!!!

So you can't name anything that Ruff does that makes you like him so much? Guess not.

Briere and Drury were old when they left. And Campbell was always overrated. Meanwhile, compare Pominville this year to Pominville a couple years ago. Or Vanek this year to Vanek a few years ago. Or Paille when he left to either Paille from a couple years ago or Paille right now with the Bruins. Stafford is a trainwreck after a strong start in Buffalo too.

Which young forwards came to the Sabres and then got better?

The officiating was suspect at times throughout the series, and hurt both teams. The Sabres had more power plays, no?

I'd like to know what Connolly's health situation was -- but you were on him all season.

I have no problem with clearing out any of the core players. The Sabres could build around Vanek, but I see no point in that with Ruff behind the bench.

By the way, who made Brian Koziol owner of the Sabres? He insists Regier and Ruff aren't going anywhere. Funnier things have happened in professional sports.

Not that it matters but the Bs had 22 PPs and scored on six while the Sabres had 19. Literally the difference in the series. Well that, and Boston outworked us much of the time. I think Boston won it more than the Sabres lost it. I don't mind giving them credit.

GO SABRES!!!

There was more heart in Rick Dudley's headband than the entire bulk of this roster. Ryan's groovy '70s 'stache was, unfortunately, one of the only things that even remotely resembled the heart that once lived in the players who once wore our beloved blue and gold.

The more the post-game drinking kicks in, the more poetic the posts.

BTW, sorry that we won't see the next fourteen portions of your new avatar revealed. It was a pretty cool idea, though, and although you're a constant complainer, the optimism you showed with that slow-reveal avatar thing solidified, IMO, the fact that you really do love this team.

I'm glad you finally realized that. :thumbsup:

So you got the avatar? I would be impressed.

Methinks Raffi needs to give back whatever pro-rated portion of his salary the Sabres were on the hook for. I've been racking my brain trying to think of a bigger waste of a deal in the history of Buffalo sports. I can't think of one.

GO SABRES!!!

I know you have emphasized this for the sake of the evening at hand, but how can you seriously not remember Bob Corkum???

Not that it matters but the Bs had 22 PPs and scored on six while the Sabres had 19. Literally the difference in the series. Well that, and Boston outworked us much of the time. I think Boston won it more than the Sabres lost it. I don't mind giving them credit.

GO SABRES!!!

This might be a case of selective memory, but it seemed like we had a good number of abbreviated powerplays throughout the series. Then again, a shortened powerplay one way means there was also one the other way. But anyway, the only way they were scoring on the powerplay was with a full 5 minute 5-on-3.

I'm glad you finally realized that. :thumbsup:

So you got the avatar? I would be impressed.

1. Always knew it. We disagree, and you're still an angry, angry man, but I know you're a fan at heart.

2. Really? I knew what it was after game 1.

Reveal it next year, when Connolly and Stafford give way to Ennis and Mancari, when Mair or Ellis gives way to McCormick, and when the Sabres raise it up. I like what I see from the young guys, and from SOME of the "core" (I'm not ready to fire Pominville or Roy at all).

I know you have emphasized this for the sake of the evening at hand, but how can you seriously not remember Bob Corkum???

You're right of course. But Torres really corkumed the Sabres, didn't he? Yeah, Corkum is the benchmark for sure. I knew that somewhere in the deep recesses of my cranium but I think I've just blocked it out due to prolonged trauma of heartbreak and mental anguish.

GO SABRES!!!

1. Always knew it. We disagree, and you're still an angry, angry man, but I know you're a fan at heart.

2. Really? I knew what it was after game 1.

Reveal it next year, when Connolly and Stafford give way to Ennis and Mancari, when Mair or Ellis gives way to McCormick, and when the Sabres raise it up. I like what I see from the young guys, and from SOME of the "core" (I'm not ready to fire Pominville or Roy at all).

The reason I'm angry is because I'm so optimistic. This city and this franchise are destined to win a Cup. I just hate seeing people screw up fate.

I'm not sure you know what the avatar is. It's not the Cup.

Not true, I wouldn't say either goalie outplayed each other. Rask just has a better group of guys in front of him then Miller. The Sabres played the entire series basically minus the top 2 lines, and the only reason they hung around was because of Miller. The score doesn't always reflect the play of the goalie.

Definitely not Miller's fault but Rask still made the bigger saves when he needed to....

The reason I'm angry is because I'm so optimistic. This city and this franchise are destined to win a Cup. I just hate seeing people screw up fate.

I'm not sure you know what the avatar is. It's not the Cup.

But if it's fate, then the people who were screwing up were DESTINED to screw up. It's all part of the plan.

Also, I have a guess as to what the avatar is...but do you want me to do it in public (in case I'm right?)

But if it's fate, then the people who were screwing up were DESTINED to screw up. It's all part of the plan.

Also, I have a guess as to what the avatar is...but do you want me to do it in public (in case I'm right?)

Sure, what do you think it is?

let's be honest, we all knew the Sabres weren't going to win the cup with this team...it would take a miracle (aka, goaltending) and Miller is great, but not enough to overcome the lack of heart in front of him.

I'm thinking the Sabres need to look at the Penguins, and other cup winning teams the last few years and follow that model a bit more.

All those teams won with a genuine 1-2 combo of superstar players, or at least elite guys. Crosby-Malkin, Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Lidstrom, Sakic-Forsberg, St.Louis-Lecavalier-Boyle, ....maybe instead of a reasonably balanced 4 lines, payed kinda close to the same, the focus should be on a couple super-stars, with journeymen 3-4 liners.

Afterall, there are a hellof a lot more guys who have the grit and heart to be effective 3-4 liners than there are game-changing, series-changing 1-2 liners.

Roy and Connolly are clearly overpaid. They should be paid half, and be your 5-6 forwards where they don't have to deal with top checking lines. 2nd pp unit, never the 1st.

All those teams won with a genuine 1-2 combo of superstar players, or at least elite guys. Crosby-Malkin, Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Lidstrom, Sakic-Forsberg, St.Louis-Lecavalier-Boyle, ....maybe instead of a reasonably balanced 4 lines, payed kinda close to the same, the focus should be on a couple super-stars, with journeymen 3-4 liners.

And how do you suggest they go about finding those players? Outside of the Detroit guys and St. Louis (I'm not so sure I'd include Boyle on your list), those are a bunch of high level draft picks and elite talents. They don't exactly grow on trees. They could probably land a guy like Lecavalier pretty cheaply, but who wants a piece of that contract? But if they would try to go that route, it all starts with Vanek. They just need to find someone else to go with him.

Archived