GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who participated in the Sabres Republic to make this a season which has carefully laid down the ground work necessary for successful seasons to follow!

The bottom line that doomed the Sabres was special teams. The best penalty killing unit in the NHL failed miserably in the playoffs. And, the PP went 0 for 19 - atrocious! That said if LR and DR don't fire the special teams coach then they are as responsible for this deficiency in the Sabres game The thing is that this has been a problem area for a few years.

Regardless of this short season the Sabres should be a favorite next season - if they lose the special teams coaching staff - with the ability to build out from within the orgsnization( a luxury most teams do NOT have.). I'll be checking in occasionally to check player movement over the summer!

To say the least, it was an exciting season despite some of the officiating foibles that impacted the outcome of a dozen or so games to our detriment. I will NOT hesitate to bring it up to the NHL's attention at every moment in the offseason! However, to all the hockey faithful who embrace and espouse aptitude and skill hockey you can be certain as far as the Sabres are concerned the best is yet to come as subsequent iterations get better!

Thank You BUFFALO SABRES! And, Thank You all in the Sabres Republic!!!

How come the fact that Ruff has a superstar goalie never enters into these conversations? Yeah, he doesn't have the players. This is twice now he's had elite goaltenders. Goalies don't count? You want Miller, Malkin, Crosby. No team is perfect. Coaches overcome. Fleury is no superstar.

And how do you suggest they go about finding those players?

At the risk of sounding like a wiseass -- I say fire Darcy and hire a GM who can find and sign the kind of players the Sabres need to make a serious run at the Cup.

How come the fact that Ruff has a superstar goalie never enters into these conversations? Yeah, he doesn't have the players. This is twice now he's had elite goaltenders. Goalies don't count? You want Miller, Malkin, Crosby. No team is perfect. Coaches overcome. Fleury is no superstar.

Not a bad point...but when was the last time a team rode an elite goaltender to the Cup? Not 'having' an elite goaltender when they won, mind you, but 'rode'.

Pommer played his ###### off.

I must disagree. I thought he stunk.

Which young forwards came to the Sabres and then got better?

um...Briere? Drury?

You beat me to it. I'd also add Dumont and TC, and possibly Barnes.

Not that it matters but the Bs had 22 PPs and scored on six while the Sabres had 19. Literally the difference in the series. Well that, and Boston outworked us much of the time. I think Boston won it more than the Sabres lost it. I don't mind giving them credit.

GO SABRES!!!

Good post, all the way around.

The more the post-game drinking kicks in, the more poetic the posts.

very nice.

I'm sure I'll have more to say before too long, but for now I'll just thank everyone for another year of outstanding hockey talk and Sabres support.

Happy spring.

Which young forwards came to the Sabres and then got better?

um...Briere? Drury?

You think Drury somehow blossomed when he came to Buffalo? Drury had 67 points in his second year in the league. His most points in a season with Buffalo? 69. (2006-2007)

Briere was 25 when he got to Buffalo. He had 60 points with Phoenix in 2001-2002. He had 65 points in his first full year with Buffalo (2003-2004). He put up 95 points in 2006-2007, but that seems to be an anomaly looking at the rest of his career.

In terms of bringing up players and turning them into stars, the Sabres aren't good. Vanek and Pominville can't match their output from a few years ago. Stafford is a headcase. Paille scored 20 goals but a couple years later we traded him to free up money. Afinogenov became a star briefly and led the team in points, but left with no value whatsoever. We developed our top two centers, Connolly and Roy, and how did they do in the playoffs this year?

And, FWIW, J.P. Dumont's best three seasons (in terms of points) were his first three with the Predators after we let him leave. Tell me again how this team knows what it's doing with forwards.

And how do you suggest they go about finding those players? Outside of the Detroit guys and St. Louis (I'm not so sure I'd include Boyle on your list), those are a bunch of high level draft picks and elite talents. They don't exactly grow on trees. They could probably land a guy like Lecavalier pretty cheaply, but who wants a piece of that contract? But if they would try to go that route, it all starts with Vanek. They just need to find someone else to go with him.

I don't care how they get them! draft, free-agency, trade, whatever. Boyle never gets respect, so fine. they have Miller, Vanek (who would be worth the money with REAL elite linemates) and Myers as a great beginning. One more superstar (with heart, always wanted to see Doan here) and a change here or there with a Connolly going, maybe Roy and I think they are good.

too much money for those two for what they bring to the table. its about playoffs, not reg season (as long as you get in the Playoffs). I think they'd be good for the team if not paid so much and on second or third lines.

I'm not even sure who's out there for FA's this summer. I'm not talkin about turnin the organization upside down, but pay for a genuine superstar, get rid of those two and I think its a world of difference

What is he supposed to do? Grab a stick and jump on the ice to score? Seriously, you can only coach so much. Lets make the players accountable for this one, no excuses, when the only guys showing up are rookies like Ennis, Myers, Gerbe, and 4th liners like Mair and Grier, there is something wrong with the TALENT.

Darcy has to go, I have preached that for years. But Lindy can only do so much with what he is given. Anytime he gets something good (Briere,Drury, Campbell), the FO lets them walk

No argument there, but even the worst teams in the league once in a while put together a goal or two on the PP, or at least threaten to.

We did neither, and there's no way I'm giving Lindy a free pass for that trainwreck.

If his top players suck so bad, well then don't flippin' put them out there every second!

Connolly's unit started almost every PP and would spent their time losing the puck and getting chased around in their own zone. Roy did nothing but try to stickhandle through 4 Bruins al series.

Every time they dumped the puck in, they had one guy chasing it. One guy!

That's a coaching move right there, and a sure sign of a coach afraid of a shorthanded goal.

Pathetic.

Thank you Sabres. It was a good year. Sad it's over..

Anantomy of a series loss..

1. 0-19

2. Chara shut down our top line

3. Recchi played like a true vet

4. Vanek removed from games 2-5

5. Boston won the puck battles in the corners

6. Done in by the Devil in two games.

7. 79% PK

At least the Sens are out too...

The PP lost the series, but Steve Montador came up big time with a 2 stupid plays that led to 2 goals... Dumb players deliver their special brand of play at crucial times.

Agreed. The guy is a giveaway machine and he can't seem to stay on his skates. Him tripping over himself in the 3rd directly led to a Boston goal.

btw, Gausted had three nice faceoffs to end the game. :thumbdown:

Gaustad's contract was part of the knee jerk reaction(which still continues today) to losing D&B. His pay went up and quality of play went down. I'm not quite sure, but Gaustad and his 2+ mil a year contract may have less trade value than Hecht.

DR keeps handing out big contracts to his own players and some have just not worked out. I thought you overpaid to get other teams FA's, not your own players?

Agreed. The guy is a giveaway machine and he can't seem to stay on his skates. Him tripping over himself in the 3rd directly led to a Boston goal.

It didn't lead directly to a goal. After a huge save by Miller, Vanek failed to clear. Then Miller again overplayed a situation. Lots of blame, always, to pass around.

It didn't lead directly to a goal. After a huge save by Miller, Vanek failed to clear. Then Miller again overplayed a situation. Lots of blame, always, to pass around.

He stays on his skates and clears the puck, that goal never happens.

Archived