Round 1: Sabres vs. Bruins

Assquatch

the Buffalo franchise has never, in 12 times, come back from a 2-1 series deficit. In the Ruff era, only the Pittsburgh series in '01 can offer much hope. The Sabres lost the first two games at home and won the next three before... :censored:
Well when people started talking about that zero in the "leading after two" stat, it disappeared. 1-12 here we come!

that's how i come out on it - but tonight is a ... well, the sort of win whose name shall not be spoken.

The Bruins hits and blocked shots are lower than the Sabres' because the Sabres would have to have the puck for them to do either.

more than a fair point.

I'm really glad there's not a missed pass stat.

game 3 was deeply painful to watch on that front -- the one decent pass and catch that i recall resulted in our only goal.

I agree, but I'd like to see [Kaleta] get more ice time.

what happened there? he came on in the third for one shift and played like the guy who had in fact been pinned to the pine (which i sense that he had). i can't track details well enough to understand why lindy wasn't happy with his game.

Yeah. I don't know why Lindy says stuff like this. I really don't.

i don't get it either. game 2 featured 7 goals with the netminders playing. the bruins have shown the ability to screen and disrupt miller, and rask has been good, but unspectacular. no reason why we can't have another 5-4 affair.

i assume lindy intends to create a self-fulfilled prophesy of a more defensively sound approach by the team. but why phrase it that way? why say, without savard and vanek, these two teams won't put the puck in the net? why not say, "as this series goes along, things are going to tighten up even more, there will be even less space and time to make a decision, there will be fewer chances, so our guys are going to have to bury the chances they get, and they're capable of doing that."

Waldo , in my post I said 'chip it out'which means from your own end not'chip it in' which means into their end.They can't get the damn puck out of their own zone and continue to get it close to the line and hand it over.I can see your point about shooting it into the bruins zone though.Whats the sence of shooting it in deep when you don't have the balls to go recover it?Its essentially a turnover every time you enter the bruins zone.This illustrates the lack of size and toughness on our team.If the forwards were capable of punishing the b's defence every time they got it deep into the bruins end it would take its toll.We're not worthy.

All this talk about hits. You guys do realize the Sabres are leading the league in hits through 3 games with 128? I don't think it's the number of hits necessarily that's going to win the game, but they are hitting.

I wonder how many hits would be left if you stripped out the silly glass-rattlers two seconds after someone passes the puck. The crowd loves them, but really, I'd count Recchi's hit on Kennedy 10 times for every one of those.

Sorry to play on anyone's deepest, darkest fears -- dying alone and penniless, getting cancer, losing a playoff series -- but the Buffalo franchise has never, in 12 times, come back from a 2-1 series deficit. In the Ruff era, only the Pittsburgh series in '01 can offer much hope. The Sabres lost the first two games at home and won the next three before... :censored:

never tell me the odds.

And to think I was more worried about the second period last night...

They were sloppy in letting in Boston's first two goals, but after the timeout, I really thought they played the best they had all series long. Things only wilted in the second OT, thanks to a mental mistake.

It's 3-1, I know things are grim and bleak, and I don't expect anything anymore, but keep rooting. I hope everyone shows up Friday night and rocks the arena. Don't worry about making a stirring comeback in the series...just win Friday night and worry about Game 6 after that.

It's 3-1, I know things are grim and bleak, and I don't expect anything anymore, but keep rooting. I hope everyone shows up Friday night and rocks the arena. Don't worry about making a stirring comeback in the series...just win Friday night and worry about Game 6 after that.

I'll be there! :)

I'll be there! :)

Good man, both of you.

Rick called out the Buffalo fans again. He said he hoped it would as loud back in Buffalo as it was in Boston. The crowd noise obliterated the play by play of all three Bruin goals. Hey Swamp, isn't the audio crew supposed to compensate for that? I mean, if the Sabres win a Cup at home in overtime or something, we won't hear Rick's call?!

Rick called out the Buffalo fans again. He said he hoped it would as loud back in Buffalo as it was in Boston. The crowd noise obliterated the play by play of all three Bruin goals. Hey Swamp, isn't the audio crew supposed to compensate for that? I mean, if the Sabres win a Cup at home in overtime or something, we won't hear Rick's call?!

RJ has been on the fans since before the playoffs about being too negative about the team. Obviously it was weird for a team to win their division and to have so many fans not ready to buy into them being a serious playoff team, but it looks like the fans were right.

That place was a funeral home until that goaltender interference call. These so called "greatest fans in the NHL" (they actually said that at the start of the game) sure do pick their spots too.

That place was a funeral home until that goaltender interference call. These so called "greatest fans in the NHL" (they actually said that at the start of the game) sure do pick their spots too.

Boston never misses an opportunity to tell everyone how amazing it is. Smartest city, best fans, most loyal fans, etc. (And some people even buy into this.) This just in: Teams in big cities have tons of fans.

Fenway has their big "Most Beloved Ballpark in America" sign, which is weird because I'm pretty sure Wrigley Field still exists.

Boston never misses an opportunity to tell everyone how amazing it is. Smartest city, best fans, most loyal fans, etc. (And some people even buy into this.) This just in: Teams in big cities have tons of fans.

Fenway has their big "Most Beloved Ballpark in America" sign, which is weird because I'm pretty sure Wrigley Field still exists.

Boston fans are one of the biggest contradictions I've ever seen. They're 50% arrogance and 50% inferiority complex. How do those two co-exist? It's hilarious to watch.

I'm pretty sure Rick made the comment before the start of the third. Sorry -- I'm going with the word of the guy who's been traveling around the league for 40 years.

I'm pretty sure Rick made the comment before the start of the third. Sorry -- I'm going with the word of the guy who's been traveling around the league for 40 years.

It was loud, but the noise level was quickly dropping from the first period on. They did get pretty loud for the stupid noise meter thing though. I still have no idea why fans everywhere believe in that thing. But hey, they guys behind me were busy talking about fantasy baseball the entire game, but still managed to find the time for a "buffalo sucks" after it was all over. The funniest moment was when a young 20 something year old girl in front of me (Bruins fan) turned around to me and ridiculed a hockey comment that they made during the first OT.

It was loud, but the noise level was quickly dropping from the first period on. They did get pretty loud for the stupid noise meter thing though. I still have no idea why fans everywhere believe in that thing.

I have always hated that thing too, when I was in Buffalo with season tickets I'd always annoy my friend by arguing with him that it was a claibrated decibel meter and was a true representation of the crowd noise. :rolleyes:

I think the arena noise factor is often more due the the building acoustics and architecture than perceived fan enthusiasm. The RBC center for example is known for being loud, but HSBC is absolutely cavernous compared to that place. The roof is very low in the RBC compared to other arenas and I think that has more to do with the noise than anything.

Looking for some hope in numbers?!

In the NHL preliminary round (best of 7 only), when the road team in Game 5 has had a 3-1 series lead, their record in that game is... 9-23!

And they've won the series "just" 71.9% of the time.

Almost all of the times in NHL history that a team has come back from 3-1 down (16 of 20), it's been in the preliminary round.

Here's a list of 3-1 comebacks:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=31154

Note: whowins.com has 21 teams coming back from 3-1 down, while the list has 20.

In the NHL preliminary round (best of 7 only), when the road team in Game 5 has had a 3-1 series lead, their record in that game is... 9-23!

Almost all of the times in NHL history that a team has come back from 3-1 down (16 of 20), it's been in the preliminary round.

Note: whowins.com has 21 teams coming back from 3-1 down, while the list has 20.

...And the last one to happen was against the Bruins...in the quarterfinals...by a division rival. Clearly, it's meant to be.

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=526643

It's cliche that's been beaten to death, but it's still true...just win this game and worry about the next one after that. The players know that more than anyone else.

Like I said yesterday, I'm not expecting a miracle, but I'll be rooting for the Sabres to win.

Archived