Raffi Torres to Buffalo for Nathan Paetsch and a 2nd round pick...

Two or less

It's a true rental -- Torres is unrestricted after this year.

He's 6'0", 216. 5th pick in the draft in 2000. Career-high in pts is 41.

I don't think he's much of a physical player, but I could be wrong.

Also, having traded Paetsch, I don't think they're going to trade Lydman or Tallinder.

The "core" isn't going to be broken up until Summer, if ever.

Now make a deal for Kaberle and a Cup run could be within reach. :) I know I'm dreaming.

Get rid of Stafford and Macarthur and a draft pick for Kaberle..

Torres and Ennis take those spots on the forward lines..

.. and then I'll feel better for the playoffs!!

As a CBJ season ticket holder I can assure you that this is a good pick-up, even if only a rental. Torres is on the PP and PK, is a good finisher and is a decent face-off guy. He bangs in the corners as well.

But does he go for long stretches of not producing and/or sausage grabbing?

Finally, a move I can get on board with. I like it. It's basically a 2nd rounder for rental Torres and the Sabres eliminate a minute amount of salary by moving Paetsch who had no chance of getting any playing time. This now makes Montador/Sekera the 7th defenseman with Weber available if needed.

Now, it's time to move Lydman and possibly Mair/Ellis for some value and flip some of that value to Carolina for Joe Corvo. Obviously, I'd love Kaberle, but that's not happening. So, if we can come out of this deadline with Torres and Corvo, I'll be really happy. Torres will immediately play on the third line now given the extent of Gaustad's injury as he'll miss a week. If the Sabres can somehow grab Corvo, I think the Sabres will have had a very successful trade deadline.

The same reason you want to trade those guys is the same reason no other team will give you anything for them. THEY SUCK!!!!

Stafford has saved his best for the Leafs, maybe just enough to pull the proverbial wool over Burke's eyes..

Get rid of Stafford and Macarthur and a draft pick for Kaberle..

Torres and Ennis take those spots on the forward lines..

.. and then I'll feel better for the playoffs!!

Would you do Stafford, MacArthur and a #1? Kaberle is under contract for one more year.

On 630 they were talking about Torres earlier which is why i heard about it before most media outlets, but, they said about 8 teams wanted him, but they heard Sabres had the lead. They said CBus really wanted a 1st round pick but teams were very anti-offering up a first round pick for him because it's believed Torres truly wants to play for Brian Burke next year (he's from Toronto) so over paying for Torres made little sense because he is 99% sure to be a Leaf next year.

Now, it's time to move Lydman and possibly Mair/Ellis for some value and flip some of that value to Carolina for Joe Corvo. Obviously, I'd love Kaberle, but that's not happening. So, if we can come out of this deadline with Torres and Corvo, I'll be really happy. Torres will immediately play on the third line now given the extent of Gaustad's injury as he'll miss a week. If the Sabres can somehow grab Corvo, I think the Sabres will have had a very successful trade deadline.

Lydman is an UFA. Mair and Ellis are garbage. Why would Carolina do this?

I'm willing to bet that this deal was just for the 2nd round pick and Darcy said "hey, why don't you take Paetsch too?". If you told me one d-man would be gone today, I never would've guessed him. I like it.

Really? Darcy just decided to give away something for nothing? Unless that nothing is freeing up some cap space.

For what it's worth, Columbus was at home last night, so I can't see why he wouldn't be in town for tonight's game. If nothing else, at least we know there won't be visa issues this time around.

You know he'll score tonight.

Really? Darcy just decided to give away something for nothing? Unless that nothing is freeing up some cap space.

Cap + freeing up the roster spot. As I remember it (can't access the CBA for some reason) is that they have to be at the roster limit with any trade. Yes, the limit is gone after the deadline, but at that certain time point, they can't be over 23. When I made my post, they were at 23, before the MacArthur move. They needed to free one spot to add Torres. Of course, that's completely different now.

On 630 they were talking about Torres earlier which is why i heard about it before most media outlets, but, they said about 8 teams wanted him, but they heard Sabres had the lead. They said CBus really wanted a 1st round pick but teams were very anti-offering up a first round pick for him because it's believed Torres truly wants to play for Brian Burke next year (he's from Toronto) so over paying for Torres made little sense because he is 99% sure to be a Leaf next year.

So why doesn't DR throw Torres to Toronto for Kaberle? ;)

Archived